4.0 out of 5 stars Tried and True
If you've read the reviews of other gaming sites prior to even considering purchasing Call of Duty, then you've basically read my review already. Before you discontinue reading, here are some critical points you should know before purchasing:
- This product is made exclusively for DVD-ROM Drives; CD-ROM drives will NOT run this box-set.
- If you barely meet the...
Published on February 18, 2008 by J. Santos

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved it with exceptions.
This is another game that most of it worked but some levels needed to be skipped because they just wouldn't load. The Call of Duty 2 part worked flawlessly.
Published on September 11, 2009 by Sebastian Matthews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Tried and True, February 18, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: War Chest (Includes Call of Duty, Call of Duty: United Offensive Expansion Pack, & Call of Duty 2) (Video Game)
- If you barely meet the RECOMMENDED system requirements, I suggest you update your video card drives before playing COD2. (I currently have problems running video playback on that game)

Among the many WWII games already in stock, COD does qualify as a stand-alone game with its own innovative features and intensifying moments, but overall, it's provides you with some good ol' FPS fun. If you, like me, are being selective about the many WWII games out there, then you should consider the COD series because of its various historical perspectives and the style of FPS cohesive tactics you're to perform. As for the multi-player levels, don't expect to "Ooh-Ahh" about them, for this is a dated game after all. Hence, my 4-star overall rating, which is really for the sake of more avid gamers.

Since you've come this far in your consideration to buy this set, and you got earned money to spend, go ahead and buy it! It's a fine series.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you liked Medal Of Honor..., July 28, 2008
David R. Krueger (Huntsville, AL United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
...you'll like this. They are very similar, both using the Quake III Arena engine. I found both COD and the early MOH series to be exceptionally playable and enjoyable even now, years after they were released. COD brings to the player an authentic taste of the chaos and confusion of battle. The environments are excellent. I like MOH slightly more because I think it was a little more meticulous in its accuracy, but that could be a simple matter of perception. If you like WWII history and like the First Person Shooter style of gaming, you can't help but like these games.

This particular package includes the original COD game, the United Offensive expansion, and COD2 which makes it a pretty good value for the bucks.

COD2 is more advanced in terms of graphics, requiring a more powerful computer. Besides that, COD2 does not allow the user to SAVE on command, but instead uses only the checkpoint system more common to console games. The original COD allows saves and does automatic saving as well. I found that quite appealing since I will sometimes forget to save during intense battle and it's nice to find the game has had a save or two since my my last manual save. In any case, COD2 saves often enough that you're rarely set back very far if you get killed.

Another thing I like about the COD series is it's simplicity. Yes, that means it's quite linear, but I don't find that objectionable. I'm not into complexity and the learning curve that entails. If you're like me and like to jump into a game and get up to speed in a hurry, this fits the bill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection of the three titles, January 5, 2007
Jeremy Bailey (Minneapolis, Minnesota United States) - See all my reviews
I imagine most know Call of Duty, a World War II game where you fight off the Germans. You are mostly on foot, typically with your allies. There are occasions where you may fly in a plane (controling the gunners), in a car/lorry, or even driving a tank.

For those who are curious as to what is in the package:

Some, as myself, was curious when reading "Requires DVD-Drive". I myself, wasn't sure if this meant ONLY COD 2 or both. It turns out, they mean both.

This also seems to include the same sort of package as "Call of Duty: Deluxe Edition".

One small warning for linux users. I had tried this under mandrivalinux 2007, and although it did install (COD), there were some errors and I wasn't able to play them.

It's possible that there is a solution, but best to ask in a linux forum first.

The Call of Duty Deluxe Edition does work with loki installers which is found at liflg (Linux Installers For Linux Games; note the cap) dot org. You need cedega to at least be installed on your system, but once that goes through, it works great, better than windows.

I imagine of course, this WarChest collection would work well under Win XP, being it was designed for it, however, I am only using a linux system.

Hope this was of some help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a lengendary series, September 10, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This are great games that still stand the test of time. It is also a great package for people who are just getting into the call of duty series because you are getting the first 3 games 30 bucks which is a steal the games are still fun even after all these years i would recommend this package to anyone

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic COD all good games, March 4, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Well I got this pack because I loved Call of Duty 2 , it was my favorite out of any game they made. Coming from playing COD Modern Warfare and World at War, this is quite a downgrade, especially the original Call of Duty and United Offense. The graphics in today's games are far superior, but I remember when COD 2 had really good graphics so I guess it comes with the territory. Anyhow, I pretty much knew the graphics weren't the best but I bought it anyways because I wanted to play the Battle of the Bulge mission on United Offense, and buying all three of these in a pack is the best deal you can find. Honestly, I believe 19.99 with free shipping would have been the right asking price considering how old these games are but nonetheless they are good games. They are all WWII related. I play COD and COD 2 on and off and I hate going back to COD because of the crappy graphics, but I never played it before and wanted to see what it's like. They all have very similar story lines in that you fight the Nazis, etc and each game has like a sniper mission, etc etc. I actually liked World at War the best, but it was too buggy so I sold it. Anyways, I would still recommend this package to anyone who wants to get in the Call of Duty series and wants to start from the beginning, you will see just how much technology progresses over the years, it's kinda fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money., February 15, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Both COD and COD2 are amazing in their own areas. the first COD is extremely long and very unique and excellently detailed. Huge weapons selection, bigger than any other WW2 game ive ever seen. Even a flamethrower! The expansion itself is long, everything takes time even on easy, great game, it didnt win GOTY for nothing. COD2 is also amazing, with phenomenal textures and smoke effects. Much better hit point system and still just as fun though not quite as long. Well worth the money friends. I strongly recommend this to any fans of the WW2 series of games. I would say this is way better than MOHAA.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall very good, January 27, 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Just got into this game - overall very good with very realistic video and play. It does seem a little structured - prefer more openess. Also, in the 3rd scenario of COD1 (which is as far as I have gotten), I became trapped unable to get back to the church for an anti-tank weapon. Had to escape out and go back a couple of levels to restart. Again, a little to structured. Have not tried COD 2 or Allied Offensive yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Call of Duty - fun and frustrating, January 11, 2011
Shane Cunningham "ShrikeBeowulf" (Greenville, SC United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
First, let me say that I have played a fair number of WWII FPS in my time, dating back to some really old games 20-25 years ago. The COD series is definitely one of the better ones, though there are some moments in the game which are frustratingly difficult. Half the time, you breeze through the missions like a cakewalk, only to slam into a scenario that leaves you wondering if it is even possible to win without a hack.

The only other frustrating part is that the CDs on this game were mislabeled. The one listed as COD 1 was actually the disc for COD2, and vice versa, which took me a while to figure out why the product codes wouldn't let me install. Then, I couldn't get the game to start, because it kept giving me an error. After searching several forums, I found out that the CD was missing a DLL file that was needed to work on 64bit Windows 7. I found the DLL from a download site, installed it, and the game worked fine.

The graphics are dated on the original, but the expansion pack and COD II are pretty close to the image quality you see on most new games now. Overall, if you are a WWI FPS fan, this is clearly one series you need to add to your collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved it with exceptions., September 11, 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Great world war II game!, December 18, 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is a great world war II game. Is challenging, fun and exciting. The only bombshell is that multiplayer online isnt so good. It is more of an individual self reliance with no strategy on team play. THE BEST WORLD WAR II FIRST PERSON SHOOTER IS DAY OF DEFEAT:SOURCE (AKA DOD:S)! DOD:S emphasizes team play and requires that each player hone their individual skills to better the chances of the team. Bud DOD:S doesnt have a single player. My suggestion is to get COD for single player and DOD:S for multiplayer. Once you're done with single player, the game can get boring, but multiplayer always depend on how good your opponents are (always varies, there are some crazy good players). Well hope this helps!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›