5.0 out of 5 stars Runs Fantastic on 2008 Macbook
It's tricky writing (and reading) reviews for Mac games. If you want to know if the game's worth playing, there are multitudes of reviews for all the platforms on which it's featured. So far, and I've put maybe 4 hours into the game, it's a solid port. If you want to know if COD 4 is worth playing, there's plenty of evidence out there that yes, yes it is.

If...
Published on December 5, 2008 by Matthew R. Howard

1.0 out of 5 stars Great game but.....
Published on October 25, 2008 by Woodworking Fool

5.0 out of 5 stars Runs Fantastic on 2008 Macbook, December 5, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars

If you want to know if you can run the thing, let me just say that if you have one of the new round of Macs, it will run easily and beautifully. I've got the 2.4 ghz model, but according to benchmarks, there's not a huge difference between it and the 2.0 as far as frame rate goes. The install itself is so simple I almost thought they were putting me on. They were not, and I just dragged the folder from the CD onto my hard drive. Twenty minutes or so later I was playing the best-looking game I've ever seen.

Multiplayer works awesome, and the fact that you can play against PC nerds is kind of mind-boggling to me. There are always games. And people are very, very good.

I've been using a Mac for 6 years now, this is my second laptop, and the idea that I can buy a modern game that a lot of folks are still playing and run it so well on such a thin and lovely machine makes me a little giddy inside.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on Macbook Pro!, December 9, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
After reading mixed reviews, i'm glad i took the chance and picked up this great game. It works perfectly on my Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz, Leopard 10.5,
4GB RAM, 256MB video memory, GeForce 8600.

It says on the box that this game is for Intel Macs Only and that INTEGRATED video chipsets is not supported.

The game plays smoothly and is every bit as intense as the console versions. Just don't forget to download the patch from Aspyr's website to allow you to play cross-platform with PC users for online gaming.

One of THE BEST games for Mac!

5.0 out of 5 stars It was worth the wait, October 23, 2008
J. Senecal (Florence, AL USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have been playing this game on Windows for almost a year now, and while it would have been nice to see a Mac version sooner, it was definitely worth the wait. My 2 Ghz iMac has just the minimum specs for the game, and it plays smoothly, much better in fact then the Windows version on the same hardware. I can finally use antialiased graphics which makes the game much nicer to play, plus I don't have to reboot my computer to switch to Windows anymore. FYI, you will want to get the patch to version 1.7 from Aspyr's website so that you will have the new maps and be able to play with your friends who are on Windows.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent port of COD4, November 16, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Works perfectly on my 2008 iMac at a fairly high resolution. The game is super fun in single player, and especially fun on multiplayer. If you want a first person shooter game for your iMac, this one is a must-have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, Questionable Developer Statements, October 10, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I think the game is fantastic. That said, before it came out I contacted Aspyr to find out if it really was only going to be for Leopard Macs... They said yes, and that I'd have to buy Leopard to run it. I did so. In fact, I had to revamp my HD to two partitions so I could keep my original Tiger disk to run Quark 6.52 for my day job. (Which doesn't run well in Leopard)

After I got the game, I installed it into my freshly installed and updated Leopard partition. Guess what! IT WON'T EVEN LAUNCH. It crashes when I attempt to start it. The multi-player game starts, but the single-player doesn't. I was frustrated to say the least.

Just out of curiosity, I then rebooted into my Tiger partition to see if it would do anything on that OS. Lo and behold, it ran! It runs just fine on my Aluminum iMac C2D 2.8Ghz Tiger machine, with awesome graphics, textures and such bumped up a little from "recommended" and even running in high resolution! I've been playing it for about 2 hours with no problems whatsoever.

If I get to the end of this game with it running perfectly all the way through, maybe I'll bill Aspyr for the cost of the necessary upgrade and time.

It really is a great game though. Although this post is somewhat of a rant, maybe it will be helpful to someone else who only has Tiger (10.4.11) and wants to run it. Ya might give it a try, despite the "minimum" requirements. I haven't played the multi-player game online though -- it may be the limitation to Leopard I haven't experienced yet. I bought it for the single-player game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, if not entirely original, November 9, 2008
jimby (California) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Technical Stuff
First of all I am running COD4 on a MacPro Quad Xeon 2.0 GHz with 4 GB RAM w/ OS 10.5.5 (Leopard). I have run the COD4 on both nVidia 7300 and 8800 GT graphics cards.

Running with the stock nVidia 7300 card the game was quite playable at the lower resolutions with many of the effects turned off. If you have this card, don't let this stop you from ordering COD4. Although you'll have to play at a lower resolution (800x600 or lower), the action remains fairly fluid except for some sequences that slow to a few frames per second. Still, the game is quite enjoyable, although you might be at a frame rate disadvantage during multiplayer.

Playing on the more advanced nVidia 8800GT GPU is a completely different experience. You can quadruple the resolution and turn most of the effects on, yet the game play remains very fluid. I haven't done any frame rate tests, but I don't have any complaints. Note: there does seem to be a small rendering bug in the current 8800GT driver that renders the "heat distortion" effects rather bizarrely (as a distracting reversed mirror reflection), but it rarely affects gameplay.

The Single Player Game
The gameplay is intense with lots of 360 degree action. The weapon modeling is fun and accurate enough to make weapon choices important. The ability of higher power weapons to shoot through walls is a welcome realistic addition. And there are lots of weapons to choose from, along with accessories such as night vision, claymores, flash bang grenades, and Javelin anti-tank missiles.

However, the entire single player game is rather short compared to previous COD releases, and despite the focus on modern warfare weaponry, some of the new missions seem familiar. The "Safehouse" mission is very much like "The Silo" in COD2. There are missions that take place on a ship, shooting from a vehicle, and at a missile silo - all of which have been done in previous COD releases.

And if you are looking for non-linear gameplay, you will not find much here. Most of the missions are tightly scripted and linear. They are quite fun, but there is not a lot of freedom to pursue alternate courses of action during repeat game play.

Still other missions are quite innovative, such as the Spectre Gunship mission, the excellent sniper stalk missions, and the unexpected "Mile High Club" mission in the epilogue where you combat terrorists on a plane.

There is also an arcade mode that gives your points for every kill and a countdown timer to beat, perfect for a quick gaming "fix."

Multiplayer
While I have only just begun playing the game in multiplayer, the Mac version is supposedly fully compatible with PC servers. When I did a complete server refresh, I got a list of more than 19,000 COD4 servers. The multiplayer version has an elaborate system of perks that allow you to upgrade weapons and other talents the more you play.

Graphics
COD4 has some of the most realistic graphics yet. Some of the scenes are so well rendered they look photo realistic. Smoke, haze and shadows are well done, and effects like bullet strikes and explosions will make you think you are there in the firefight. Many objects take advantage of the game's physics engine, so you can shoot at paint cans, bottles, and tires, and they will react realistically. Cars will smoke and explode when riddled with bullets. However, to really experience the game at its best, you'll want to have a graphics card that is up to the task.

Conclusion
We Mac users usually have to wait a long time until we get the good game ports, and COD4 is no exception. Although it has been in release on other platforms for about a year, if you are a Mac gamer you owe it to yourself to pick this one up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great game but....., October 25, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
My Macbook pro fits within the stated requirements, but the single player mode does not run on it. I get a "quits unexpectedly" message every time, within seconds of launching the app. I contacted ASPYR and spent a lot of time deleting, reinstalling, verifying disk permissions, etc... but it still does not work. The multiplayer works fine (Which leads me to believe that it's not a hardware issue). I tried installing the game on my wife's Macbook Pro. All the specs are identical, but it it runs an older OS 10.4 which is NOT supported according to ASPYR and guess what? It runs! There are a number of glitches, including the fact that as the game starts, the graphics are flipped horizontally and vertically (The top is at the bottom and the left side is on the right). This glitch goes away when I hit "escape" to go back to the main menu, then return to the game. Other than that and some lagging in the video intros, the games runs beautifully, and the frame rate is excellent.

The games is fantastic, the graphics and the environments are stunningly realistic . Modeling and movements of the soldiers are very realistic and contribute greatly to a very immersive experience. The gameplay is intense to say the least. In fact it's often a little too intense for my taste. The situations a so chaotic with foes popping up from everywhere, and bullets and RPG flying all over the place that it's hard to play strategically. You just scramble to keep up with your team and shoot at anything that moves. It's true that there are slower-paced missions also and that with replay and if you have the reflexes of a 14 year olds, this may not be a problem. The mission set is a little short. It only took me about 6 hours to play the entire game. Infinity Ward opted for quality instead of quantity, and given the level of detail, i'm satisfied that I got my $50's worth!

I would highly recommend this game if it weren't for one detail: IT DOES NOT RUN ON MY COMPUTER! Unlike the limitless hardware configurations in the PC world, there are relatively few spec option on the MAC side. Therefore there is no excuse for this - it's just bad testing by ASPYR. I hope that ASPYR is working on a fix, though from previous experience with call of duty, product support is not a strength of theirs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Game, November 30, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I run this game on an iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD 2600 Graphics Processor, OS 10.5.5 (Leopard) and it runs at max settings just fine. I an not a multiplayer so this review concerns only the single player mode. Other reviewers seem to have had problems runnning this game on laptops so your mileage may vary.

I am a real fan of the Call of Duty series and this is the best so far. The graphics are stunning and I had a hard time at first because I would just stand and look around- BANG! I had the same trouble with Halo at first, too. The various missions are well designed and don't seem repetitive, I'm sure the developers used common modules over and over but they were well disguised. There was a minimum of the maze-like hallways and streets that plague other games of this type. Weapons and their effects were well modeled. I especially like the way health is handled in the later COD releases. No more wandering around looking for health pacs! I recommend this game to anyone who likes a well done first person shooter and has a Mac that will run it. I'm ready for the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the same as PC, PS3 or any other console, December 12, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
The game is very nice. Graphs are outstanding and runs pretty fast. But I found 2 issues:
1) If running Leopard OS, you need to download a patch to install the game. Otherwise it will not run. Saying the code is NOK or something.
2) The game does not support the usage of a pad. Incredible. I bought this very nice Logitech pad with vibration features and many other funny things, and guess what? I cannot use it with the game. I already checked and the issue is not on my Mac, but on the game. You need no driver for the pad to work with your Mac. To be honest, and having played the game with a pad in a PS3, it makes a HUGE difference. Specially when playing multiplayer.

Last but not least, the multiplayer servers is only for Mac (not really sure if PC users are also sharing the same servers, but I'm 100% sure that PS3 and Xbox player are not.

Activision should think about this. I cannot believe that yet they cannot make it work no matter which is the platform you are running the game.

In a nutshell, the game is EXCELLENT, but it can be improved. It definitely need some work for the Mac version.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Game to kill time, May 9, 2012
John Ha (Honolulu, HI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare [Mac Download] (Software Download)
Easy to install and fun to play. Customer service was excellent. I had to request different serial number and got it within a day. Excellent.