1,101 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Hate It or Love It
This game currently holds the record for sales in a week and sales in one day for any video game. People like to say this is a bad game that only sells well because of advertisement and hype. If that were true it would not explain why people continue to play it or why they continue to pick this up year after year. Are all these COD fans just miserably playing online...
Published on December 5, 2011 by JustHere

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Let me just start by saying this is only a review of the online play after a few hours logged in. I will come back and update more as I log more hours online.

Up front, was very disappointed in the presentation of the game. Graphics I thought came up very short. I actually think they took a step back in the before/between game presentation. Everything is very...
Published on November 9, 2011 by Strkeout

‹ Previous | 181 82 83111 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT GAME, November 16, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I have had Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops, Modern Warfare, Call of Duty 2 and now Modern Warfare 3. Let me just start by saying I love this game! It is way better than Black Ops which I didn't care for too much with much better killstreaks and guns. You can get weapon proficiencies which are very fun and maximizing a gun is fun, too. Personally I like this game a lot better for the assault package in the killstreaks. This means when you die your killstreak or point streak continues. You can also get kills or points for your streak by completing an objective like capturing a base in Domination. This game is very fun and best so far. Personally I like the CM901 as a gun and I am on level 41.

2.0 out of 5 stars modern warfare 1.8, November 15, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is going to sound like many of the others. I'm just going to itemize my core thoughts:

* The multiplayer maps are horrible. They have in effect limited the various styles of gameplay and made it a virtual wild west shootout. Explosives are worthless and melee is nearly so. The guns all are fairly similar and the ping is just insane. the game is absolutely unplayable at 150ms and it's very difficult to get a 50-75ms game. No, it really isn't my internet, it's FIOS 25/25 and hardwired to the ps3.

* Other random gripes are:

1. The perk dead silent is worthless since everyone is virtually dead silent. using noise to know when people were close by is no longer effective unless you're on steel grating

2. Gun feel has more in common with world at war than they do with mw2

3. By toning down explosives, melee and the design of the maps the game lost the various styles of play.

4. Map design is extremely cluttered and vision limited. Player field of vision either has been reduced or simply feels like it due to the map layout.

* The campaign was pretty good and the reason i'm giving this game 2 stars rather than 1.

*Overall the multiplayer is worse in almost every way VS mw2 and black ops. The only real improvement is with the sniper rifles in mw3 which have limited quick scoping but at the same time are an extremely powerful weapon, a good move there that should have been addressed in mw2. The two deal breakers for me are the maps, and activision not having the server capacity to provide playable games to those who stuff their pockets full of money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty fun at times, but if you played mw1 and 2, it might feel a bit overplayed, November 14, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
It's a good game on its own, but if you've already played the others in series, then yes it does feel it's getting a little dry. if you still played mw2 up until this was released, then it's safe to say you'll like playing this game. it's a question of whether you've had enough of this type of game yet or not. if you're looking for something radically different, you won't find it here. if you're looking for mw2 but with a few enhancements, new maps, more fluid animation, then this is it. But, don't expect an industry game changer. So, overall, i think activision is making a killing from recycling the same ideas, which seems a little unfair, but at the same time, they're using a formula thats worked before so can we blame them? That's business i suppose.

4.0 out of 5 stars Too big to fail?, November 10, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Keeping with tradition I made sure to be in line early Tuesday morning to pick up this year's new and shiny edition of COD MW. Terrible weather (power went out for several hours) kept me from getting out to the midnight release. Upon firing up the game we see an offensive content warning and are given the option to proceed with the potentially offensive content turned on or we can be reminded again later just before the event happens. Well, I just paid $60 for this game so I dont want to be cheated out of missing anything even if it could possibly offend me! I mean c'mon, I wasn't offended by the airport massacre in MW2 so how bad could this be? Moving right along to the main menu we get our choice of Spec Ops/Co-op, Campaign, and Multiplayer. After hearing a lot of hype about the revamped Spec Ops mode I decided to give it a try first, but get a pop-up strongly advising me to complete the campaign mode first. I guess MW knows best so sure why not, let's play campaign mode first.

Campaign Mode:
This is the mode I usually buy the game for. The COD MW series is renowned for their fast paced action, intricate storytelling and jaw dropping moments. MW3 has all three of those and in some ways they seem even better than ever. Sure the campaign is sinfully short, I mean dang I'm maybe an average COD player and I finished it in only 5 hours and 3 minutes! With that being said the campaign mode was far more memorable as a whole than MW2. With Infinity Ward wrapping up the MW series you knew there would be some major story line events in this one, but none of them felt very forced to me. I won't give any of them away...specifically who lives and who dies. For the first time in the series I felt like the story was flowing smoothly and coherently. But wait, how are the graphics you ask? I mean geez they have been using the same engine since 2007. No complaints there, if anything the graphics look as great as MW2 and the shadows and lighting look even better. For the most part Campaign Mode is more of the same old, but overall that's not a bad thing as far as I'm concerned. The only thing I hoped it would have this time is a new cover system. Almost forgot...let's talk about the possibly offensive scene. Really, this is what Infinity Ward was worried about? I just shot 400 people in the face so NO, watching the Davis Family Vacation go South doesn't bother me at all!

Spec Ops/Co-op:
After that quick 5 hours scamper through Campaign mode it's time to give this mode a whirl. Survival Mode is a blast! You start out with 4 or 5 selectable maps and after reaching a required level it opens open 4 or 5 more and so on. The best part about this mode is that you can play solo or split screen with someone sitting a few feet from you or you can invite/join another player for help from online. I really enjoyed the Delta and Riot Squad Support, but wasn't too impressed that if I make it to wave 25 and die I'm starting back at wave 1 with a pistol. Even with that complaint, this mode has a lot of replay value. I didn't notice too much new content in the Spec Ops Mode. There are plenty of missions and luckily (for me) plenty of good online players to partner up with to increase your chances of earning those gold stars.

Multiplayer:
Like I said before I usually buy every COD MW game for the campaign. The hype around the MW multiplayer is normally so huge that it ends up sucking me in for a few hours here and there. After several hours spent respawning I'm not seeing anything exceptional new or great. I'm definitely not buying into the "Elite" service as I just don't care enough about the Multiplayer Mode to spend the money. From what I've seen the "Elite" service keeps an enormous amount of valuable map and statistical information stockpiled so I'm sure it's a great thing for those who love multiplayer. The real diamond in the rough for Multiplayer Mode is the new editions of "Kill Confirmed", "Team Juggernaut" and "Infection".

Overall I enjoyed MW3 and I use the past tense of the word enjoy, because Im not sure how much longer I will be playing it. It's by no means just an expansion back of MW2 like some people are claiming. In reality it's the culmination of a four year journey that started in COD 4 MW. If you bought this game expecting to get something completely different than MW2 then you will be disappointed. Infinity Ward isn't going to stray too far from the formula when there's still tons of cash to be made. On one hand I almost hate to see the story end, but on the other it seems long overdue. I'm not sure Infinity Ward has any place left to go with the current build of the MW series. They have accomplished just about everything possible with a FPS so it's hard to imagine what their next project brings or if it will even have the title of COD MW at all. The bottom-line is if you love MW multiplayer then you will want to go spend your $60 right now. If multiplayer doesn't matter to you then I highly suggest sticking to renting this game. You will have the campaign done with plenty of time to experience Spec Ops and still get it back to the video store before its due date. 3.5/5

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Call Of Duty... Nothing more, Nothing Less, November 9, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
First off games like this need two reviews, one for online and offline game play.

Offline 4 stars

I love the call of duty story line; I hope they make a movie one day about it... With that being said the campaign mode is fun and it's all of the things you expect from MW line. But if you're looking for a new updated version of MW you're just not going to get it. The game play is exactly the same as MW2 and the graphics are just about the same as well. It's hard to miss your target with the auto snap on target feature. And you can get shot about six to seven times before you die. You can also run and gun and play like a mad man... My kids love this

Online 3 stars

OK this is where I'm going to get some bad replays, I want to love the MW3 online game play but I can't. It's slow, it does not look real and it's all about the "run and gun". But my kids love it; they say it is easier that BF3 and I agree with them. The actual maps are nicely laid out and the weapons are nice but I just don't feel the realism that I feel in other war games. Bottom line is if you want a realistic online battle look somewhere else. If you like the run and gun arcade style online play this game is for you.

MW3 -vs- BF3

I'm sorry but I need to put this in my review for people trying to decide between BF3 & MW3. You can fly plans (A-10, F-18, and more) Fly Choppers (AH-64, Black Hawk) Drive (M1-A1 tanks, Hummers with 50 Cal's) or just kick butt on the ground (it has more upgrades and weapons than MW3)... BF3 is more of a Modern War Simulation than a game, if you where ever in the military you will understand what I mean. The story mode sucks but the online is superior to any online gaming out to date. If someone else tells you different they probably never played the game or they are not real gamers or it's just too hard for them... Yes I do like MW3 but No it's not any ware close to BF3 online play... Hope this helps.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not meet expectations, November 9, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This game is a huge letdown. I bought the game turned it on and immediately started playing multiplayer. I am not a fanboy of COD but I won't play anything else but COD. I loved Black Ops and get to this game and it is horrible. The chat function is wack! I can't believe you can't even understand your teammates due to the distortion and the sound makes it sound like you are in a tin can. The game play was also a step back from Black Ops. There is no open maps there are only buildings, alleys, and windows to more buildings that campers just sit in and never leave. The options and killstreaks they spent way to much time creating due to the increased confusion when you actually play it. I was so dissatisfied with the game I almost put it on Craigslist and went back to Black Ops. So all of you Infinity Ward people who love this game you need help. I will look forward to another game from creators who don't put games out that are years behind the gaming industry!

1.0 out of 5 stars MW2 Just upgraded, November 8, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I love MW2, Hated BF3. If you play Mw2, same graphics and gameplay. Just updated Play, All i Can say, thank god I got this brand new from Gamestop $30. Traded games in for credit. If you want something better than BF3. Get this but dont expecting something new or amazing from MW3 from MW2. Same but diff Maps.

1.0 out of 5 stars same old crap, December 14, 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Don't buy. Unless you want the same generic game as all the other generic call of duty games. This one aint any different

5.0 out of 5 stars world war 3....4...5... never get bored!, December 9, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The best selling Fps its back and better. Same engine with some upgrades but still looks great. The final chapter of a excelent history that began at 2007. And the greatest multiplayer in the entire franchise. So sad there was not zombies..

5.0 out of 5 stars Move over Black Ops, December 7, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Infinity Ward, Modern Warfare has much better gameplay. I have been waiting for this since I finished MW2. Black Ops was an annoyance until this was released. The real deal.

You will not regret this purchase.

‹ Previous | 181 82 83111 | Next ›

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Playstation 3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Playstation 3 by Activision Inc. (PlayStation 3)
$29.99 $19.98