5.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to the Wii library
The Wii has started to get a fair number of quality first-person shooter (FPS) titles, and Modern Warfare: Reflex has managed to neatly add itself to the list. After having spent several hours with Modern Warfare: Reflex, I can't say this is the best FPS on the system, but it is one of the most enjoyable.

THE PROS:
+++ An entertaining and enjoyable...
Published on November 10, 2009 by Halicon5

3.0 out of 5 stars First Wii first person shooter... tough interface
I have played MW on the Playstation and I see no difference in the actual game and campaign and I assume there should not be. Note that I have not completed the single user campaign yet on the Wii. I liked MW on the PS3. I am sure I will like the game on the Wii. This review is more about the gameplay/inteface especially with the zapper. I should also note that this...
Published on December 28, 2011 by John Morelli

5.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to the Wii library, November 10, 2009
Halicon5 (Casper, Wyoming United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)

THE PROS:
+++ An entertaining and enjoyable campaign mode
+++ Multi-player supports up to 10 players via Internet
+++ 13 different multi-player modes
+++ Addictive leveling and challenge goals in multi-player
+++ Customizable controls that rival those of The Conduit
+++ Possesses most of the features found in the original PS3/XBox/PC title

THE CONS:
--- Extremely pixelated graphics and kind of ugly in many places. Not even remotely as pretty as the versions found on consoles.
--- Complete lack of voice chat, making team multi-player less enjoyable than it could have otherwise been.
--- Multi-player requires Friend Codes for private matches.
--- Framerate dips can affect precision of aiming

CAMPAIGN MODE: The campaign mode is a very story driven series of levels where you attempt to thwart terrorist attacks. All in all, the campaign mode is very solid and even includes the ability for a second player to pop in and act as a squad mate, shooting enemies and basically providing extra firepower. Squad-mate mode is a nice addition, but I don't find myself terribly excited about it. Thus far my only complaint about the campaign mode is that the first two levels are rather miserable, but the farther I get into the campaign mode, the more I find myself enjoying it. I would recommend the game for the campaign mode alone.

MULTI-PLAYER: This is probably where most people will spend most of their time. Multi-player is addictive, fast and fun. As you complete matches you will level your character up, gaining access to additional features, weapons, and upgrades. The challenge system is very well implemented. If you have played Call of Duty: World at War, the experience is very comparable, except vastly improved. I find the maps to be more enjoyable, the game modes more complete, and a generally improved experience overall. The lack of voice-chat is problematic though and really holds the game back from greatness. The reliance upon the broken Friend Code system is also another huge irritation. If you enjoyed playing some matches with some stranger, good luck ever playing with that particular person again. Nintendo and Activision continue to refuse to provide players with any way of connecting with new friends and acquaintances online.

GRAPHICS: Really kind of ugly with sporadic moments of beauty. Even the cut-scenes are ugly, low-res and pixelated. Once in motion, the game looks decent, especially considering how large the environments are, but framerates sometimes take a nasty hit. That having been said, the game is accomplishing more than most other games attempt on the Wii.

CONTROLS: The controls are very flexible and accurate for the most part. The default control schemes are very serviceable, but I craved some slight differences. Luckily, every single button can be remapped however the player likes, as well as Wii remote and nunchuck gestures. After playing with about 5 or 6 different customized control schemes I finally came up with a button layout that felt amazing. This game could have earned the title of "best FPS controls on the Wii" except for the pointer accuracy is sometimes a little too twitchy and jumpy due to the framerate. Because of this, I'm not sure if I prefer the XBox 360/PS3 controls over the Wii controls.

Comparison to other FPS titles that I own on the Wii:
"Call of Duty: World at War" - Modern Warfare offers a vastly improved experience overall, but the framerate of the previous year's game was definitely smoother.

"Metroid Prime: Trilogy" - Prime offers smoother controls, framerate, and a massive campaign mode that emphasizes exploration over action. Split-screen multi-player only.

"The Conduit" - I think The Conduit offers smoother graphics with prettier effects, comparable controls, but a much weaker campaign mode. Multi-player on the Conduit is less realistic, has fewer modes, but features larger multi-player matches.

"Medal of Honor: Heroes 2" - Similar quality graphics, but vastly improved framerate. 32-player death-matches are available, but the multi-player modes are extremely limited.

If you only own a Wii, this is a must-have title for any FPS fan. The game's pros definitely outweight the cons by a wide margin. On the other hand, if you own an XBox 360 or PS3 as well, I can't really recommend this particular version of the game since the XBox 360 or PS3 versions offer voice chat and are really superior on so many fronts, in addition to currently selling for less than the Wii version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best first person shooter for the Wii., November 10, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'll start by saying I have played about 4 hours of multiplayer and the first few missions in single player so far. I will also only talk about the wii specific stuff because Call of Duty 4 has already been positively reviewed a million times and this is the same game. Now to the review.
The Visual end of things is very good for a wii game, I would say better than the Conduit. Its not as pretty as the 360/PS3 version, but if that's your main concern, you shouldn't have bought a wii.
The controls can be customized many ways, so I think it would be hard to find something you didn't like, and in my opinion the wii remote is the best option for fps control on a console.
Sound wise, I don't have a sound system or anything like that but it sounds good to me.
The online multiplayer is the best of its kind on wii. I have encountered little lag so far and the gameplay has been fast and smooth. It takes the fun of World at War for the wii and builds on it.
The only negative things I could say about reflex is that there is no voice chat or spiltscreen multiplayer, neither of which bother me.
I would recommend this game to any fps/action game fan. If you were a fan of World at War for the wii you will love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Modern Warfare for Everyone - Simple, Intuitive, Satisfying, November 13, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Amazing game. I highly recommend it. Have put in about 20+ hours into it and am enjoying every minute.

The graphics look incredible, it's one of the sharpest Wii games out there. While the graphics are certainly not as sharp as those of the XBox360 or the PS3, they are very close.

The entire game in all its glory is there. All the modes, all the online functionality that made it the best FPS ever made are intact. And it's made much more enjoyable because of the controls. If you are used to dual analog then it may take some readjustments, but if you are used to the Wii Remote it's a piece of cake.

You're aiming the Remote just like a gun. It's simple, basic, and extremely satisfying.

This version will drive owners of the PS3 and XBox360 to anger. They will argue, "our graphics are obviously superior, so why are you wasting your time on this piece of junk?!"

Because playing games on the Wii uses more than just your mind and thumbs. It involves your body. Incorporating the body into videogames is what got it out of the realm of the nerd. The nerd only uses his head.

The body is where it's at. This version is much more than just a mind game. Feel it. Don't think it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wake up and smell the gunpowder, February 6, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
"AHHH! $%(#$@&(^#! ... Mother-$*%@(&^)!!!GD%U#@(%!"

-Myself during the first long, hard week playing this game

I got hooked on first-person shooters with Golden Eye on the N64. Then it was the Xbox with Halo, and the first Call of Duty games. Sound like you? Yeah, I got really, really good at using dual sticks for hyper-speed and accuracy. In my circle of friends (before the rise of the crazy online -- where you fight against veritable FPS prodigies all day) I was pretty much unbeatable.

Then I got a Wii. I saw the potential of the Wii controller ... it could become whatever the game called for: lightsaber, sub-machine gun, Master Sword, steering wheel. Everybody who bought a Wii saw it's potential. The sad thing is ... there's been so much shovelware for the system, it's hard to remember that there are any games out there that do the system justice.

This is an explosive example of one of those games (with some reservations ... SEE UPDATE below).

As my first line suggests, this game is HARD to play, even if you're used to the Wii pointer. Do yourself a favor and DON'T try to play this game without a Zapper. I always thought the Zapper was just a silly piece of gimmicky plastic, but the controls on this game are so sensitive (and they have to be) that trying to use the remote without some support makes the game nearly impossible to play well. It's playable, but you'll be getting killed and muffing shots so often, it's torture.

I've played this game on PS3, and yeah, the graphics are absolutely beautiful and immersive there. And I ran through it so fast with the old dual sticks, it wasn't even a whole lot of fun. I slayed online. It was fun there, sure, but I wondered what it would be like actually holding the M4A1 with grenade launcher, aiming down the sights on the MP5, AK-47, H&K G3 -- the absurdity of hip-shooting with a Barrett .50 Cal.

What's SO hard about controlling this game is the fact that to even keep the game steady, you have to keep your aiming "dead-zone" big enough to keep your aim from flying all over the place. But then, since the pointer ALSO controls turning left and right and looking up and down as well as aiming, you have to have enough space out of the dead-zone to control turning well enough.

Without having the precision of a stick (to turn just-so-fast or just-so-slow), turning can be very hazardous and imprecise -- thereby making aiming hazardous and imprecise. And when backhanded players are constantly sneaking up to knife you in the back in multiplayer, quick and precise about-faces are an absolute must-have.

It honestly takes a week of playing every day to get it all down and find your control scheme out of the myriad of possibilities. Don't expect to just pick it up and play, even if you're king of the dual-sticks. I did, and it humbled me. But it's a whole new game once you get it. In a word, it just feels real. Instead of the graphics being immersive -- because they definitely aren't perfect (there are some occasional noticeable framerate issues and polygonal mess), it's the controls that feel real.

Note: DON'T use the Zapper control scheme, however -- it sucks. Using your thumb to hit the top remote buttons on a Zapper is NOT hard. It feels perfectly natural to me. I don't know why people seem to think putting your remote in a Zapper makes the top buttons inoperable.

Pull the trigger on this one ...

EDIT UPDATE ... After well over 100 Hours of play:

The game is still good, but still very hard and demanding, and some unpleasant quirks have come up that prospective gamers need to be aware of when thinking about dropping their hard earned money on what is basically a visually down-graded 3-year-old game with a whole new, built-from-the-ground-up control scheme. Detect a change in my tone? Yeah, the game is good, no denying it, but is the Wii version really what you want ... ?

I have a pretty good kill/death ratio in the online multiplayer now, and almost always end up in the first or second in total kills in matches, and no, I don't "noobtube," use any light machine gun, or ever use the juggernaut perk. I have some choice words for those people (that due to the lack of voice chat, I've been unable to express, except to my poor, long-suffering girlfriend ... haha).

But in all seriousness, there are fundamental draw-backs inherent to this Wii port. The controls, specifically precise aiming -- like many reviews have mentioned, are effected by the game's low frame-rate on the Wii. This becomes painfully apparent when sniping. Sniping in multiplayer in this game, made worse by the very difficult and twitchy nature of the controls themselves, is incredibly difficult.

It can be done with ridiculous skill -- Youtube "iKillZ Sniper Montage" -- ABSURD trick sniping, made possible by a VERY twitchy custom control scheme that demands a kind of machine-like steadiness and precision in handling the controller. But for most of us out there, this kind of skill is impossible, and in some respect, not even desirable at all. I'd have to play for thousands of hours to get that good -- I'd have to drop out of college, lose my girlfriend, lose my job, and move back in with my mother to get that good at this game.

What I'm saying is, this is not a sit back on the couch and get some catharsis from your daily stress in racking up some kills, whatever, kind of game. This game demands you sit directly in front of the TV with your pointer aimed -- and maintain constant vigilance as you try to watch your back, running through the levels and trying to pick off stragglers that are always trying to blow you up with "noobtube" grenade-launchers and mow you down with their endless light machine gun fire.

In that sense, this game FEELS a lot more like real war than the PS360 versions. The control scheme totally changes the feel of the game in that way: it's actually very difficult to fluidly control. That challenge can be new and fun for old dual-stick dogs like myself, and I won't deny the fact that it makes a good kill or near-death killspree FEEL like a monumental accomplishment. But ... I'll be honest, most of the time I'd prefer not feeling like I'm physically in war. Seriously. This Wii version of the game wouldn't be a bad simulator in teaching military squad tactics.

The inherent difficulty in fluidly controlling the game, especially aiming, is only made worse by the way the online mode functions. The host system is a joke, and makes the online mode very unpredictable. Basically, the host player (the person whose connection will be used as a server by the game) determines the way the game handles by the strength of their connection. Hit detection can be almost non-existent if the host connection isn't perfect -- even using the "regional" setting. I've emptied entire clips of ammunition within knife-kill range and hit, as Morpheus says, "nothing but air."

Even the knifing function in itself is extremely unpredictable due to this lousy hit detection. I've pulled off a few spectacular reflex mid-air knife kills, other times I can't even get a kill when I see the knife plunge toward my opponent's face, stick, and then I get shot in the head by the same enemy's frantically spraying machine gun. As they say, epic fail.

I will also say, like many other reviewers, that FRIEND CODES SUCK. Sometimes I'll play a GREAT match, with talented other players using real tactics and exhibiting real skill with their weapons -- not just run-and-gun, spray-and-pray. Then, I never see or hear from those guys again. There's no way to "add" them, or even request their FC in the game, nothing. Like two ships that pass in the night. You can try your luck on the online message boards and join a "clan" but ... c'mon Nintendo. It shouldn't be that hard.

Last, the game will crash. It's crashed on me in the campaign, connecting to multiplayer, and during multiplayer. And during multiplayer some of the bigger maps -- overwhelmingly in District -- parts of the level will fail to load in front of you, leaving you and your anonymous compadres walking on what looks like empty space.

So, would I buy the game again for Wii? I hate to say it, but at this point, probably not. It's a whole new experience, to be sure, but not exactly an experience that I enjoy having on a day-to-day basis. The game is not at all visually impressive or immersive to look at, and in all honesty, a stress to control. Probably much like the unvarnished reality of warfare. Every once in awhile there's some great victory, but most of the time, it's a crap shoot.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good FPS experience that Wii owners have been waiting for, December 15, 2009
Ben Rowland (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Wii owners typically get the short end of the stick when it comes to quality first-person shooters, with the notable exception of "The Conduit" and the on-rails shooters like "House of the Dead" and the "Resident Evil Chronicles" games. The first "Modern Warfare" game was released two years ago for the competing consoles and is no doubt seeing the light of day on the Wii to coincide with the blockbuster release of "Modern Warfare 2". While the technical limitations of the Wii might make this feel like a downgrade from the HD versions, it is still a fun, engaging and challenging shooter. Below is a breakdown on what to expect from this Wii port:

Visuals:

You'll hear people say "not bad..for a Wii game" a lot when describing "Modern Warefare: Reflex", and in truth, the visuals are not as stunning as you would expect on the Xbox 360 or the PS3. Having said that, the game still looks quite good. Textures and animations are fluid and vibrant, and the overall look and feel of the game has not been lost in the port. There is some noticeable slow-down and frame rate issues during the more intense campaigns, but the rest of the game looks so good that you'll forgive these quirks.

Gameplay:

What sets the Wii apart from the other consoles is the motion control, and it works greatly to this game's benefit. Taking it's cue from "The Conduit", this game sports highly customizable controls that each player can adjust until they find a control scheme and sensitivity that suits them. I quite like this, but it is recommended that you do this before starting the missions, as it will be hard to do so when thrown into a chaotic mission. Unlike last year's port of "Call of Duty: World at War" on the Wii, every mission of the original game is included here, so you are getting the same experience story-wise. My only real complaint about the gameplay is the questionable hit detection. The aiming in this port is not always accurate, and I often find myself aiming squarely at an enemy's head and the shot still misses.

Multiplayer:

I have dabbled a bit in the online multiplayer and it runs perfectly for me, with minimal lag and no connection issues. Considering the bad experiences I have with the online play on the 360 (teenagers swearing their heads off and campers using cheap techniques to pick people off), the lack of voice chat and somewhat smaller online community is not such a bad thing to me. However, hardcore 360 junkies might feel limited when playing this port online.

Final Verdict:

I own an Xbox 360 and I own both versions of this game, so it is possible to enjoy both if you can look beyond the HD visuals. If you are a Wii owner and you are hoping for a quality FPS, this is definitely a game worth getting. I think the customizable motion controls are this game's key selling point, so even those who were wowed on the other consoles should consider this. However, if you are a diehard 360/PS3 fan and graphics are your deciding factor, it goes without saying that you will probably want to skip this as it is technically not equal to the other ports. However, I like it a lot and I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply put a great game., November 13, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Finally Modern Warfare has come to the Wii. I had a lot of hope for this game and to be honest it delivers on a lot of fronts. The game is not perfect but it is great nonetheless and offers one feature rich game. Wii owners almost never see a release with this much online content to back it.

I am no sound expert but it sure sounded good on my surround sound. The graphics are far better than what is shown in the screenshots on this site and pretty much all video game sites as they are showing off pre beta screenshots instead of final version screenshots. The graphics are improved slightly over World At War which I loved that game a lot as well. All the fire/particle effects look great. The game has excellent level design and this is a game you do not know what you are missing until you have it in your system and you are seeing it with your very own eyes. There is a minor inconsistency in the frame rate but it is minor and does not effect the gameplay as it only last a a few seconds at best.

The campaign is one of the best single player ventures I have experience in my 23 years playing video games. Intense scenes mixed with intense gameplay is all here. Mix that with killer production values during the cutscenes that carry the story you have a great experience for single player. I have seen on message boards and review sites that the controls are slow and unresponsive and thats a pure lie. It does take a few minutes to find your perfect controls. What I did was I selected intermediate, shrunk the dead zone and increased the sensitivity under the settings which you can access at the before playing or you can do in game single player or multiplayer.

The online multiplayer is very feature rich and it is extremely fun. Thats the only way I can explain it. You get a ton of guns, perks and maps to boot. You level up and as you level up you unlock the other modes, challenges and of course get more perks. The maps are pretty big and vary in quality. Meaning most are very good to great but there was a few maps I just did not like but it does not hurt the experience because you are still playing an intense experience. Also if you played World at War or played the original Modern Warfare the Create a Class is here also. Thats the best thing about this series online for me as your not stuck with a set selection of guns. You customize your own weapons if you want and can select your own perks which makes the game ten times better.

Overall this is a great game for the Wii. Its not perfect but it crams a lot of gameplay on a system that is filled with so many missed opportunities. I give Kudos to Treyarch who last year got the COD4 engine to not only work on the Wii but they brought us a great title called World At War and now they bring us Infinity Ward's amazing COD4 Modern Warfare. The only real issue I have found in this game is the dip in frame rate and it will not kill the experience as it is barely noticeable in most instances.

A lot of people are upset this contains no Wii Speak. I am not a fan of voice chat so it does not effect me in the least but if I am going to write a review I might as well include that portion.

EDIT Nov. 20,2009: My first play through on the campaign I had some frame rate issues that caused some problems with the aiming. The second play through I had little to none frame issues. Not sure if it varies or just happens randomly. Just wanted to add this on but I still think the game is great ! 32 hours in a week in a half is a lot for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars An New Look- My first FPS since Counterstrike, November 18, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The last time I played a first person shooter I was a sophomore in college. I enjoyed the games back then, but they fell off the radar as I graduated. I purchased a Wii a year ago in an attempt to get back into gaming, but trying not to take it too serious (the reason for the Wii). My games to this point were SSB, Mario Kart, and Golf.

Anyways, the reason is to set this review up from a non FSP experienced person.

This game is so much fun! The controls take about 2 hours to get used to, and as the missions get harder you learn to use them more efficiently. I have only played the 1 player game at this point. Understand, the only thing you do in this game is shoot people and all you hear are guns shooting. But each mission introduces something new and you have to figure out how to beat the enemy. I only have a tube TV but the graphics look great. I am sure its worse than HD, but most of the time I don't have time to sit and stare at the graphics. I think surround sound and a wide screen would greatly enhance the experience.

This is game is a ton of fun, and I can see that it may become addicting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Wii Game!, November 30, 2009
A Kid's Review
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
When i bought this game, i was excited, but also nervous. Everyone seemed to like it, but it still seemed to be another hard to play wii shooter. So i got the game, expecting it to be ok, but not great. The first thing i thought was"the wii aiming stinks!". The story mode of the game was excellent, so i kept playing. As i went on, the aiming with the wii zapper got easier. The missions were still excellent, so i played on. Now, the aiming is fine. you just have to get used to it. So down to the actual review: Great game. I think it is as good as the Xbox version in story mode. I am completely used to the wii controls now. The story mode is just as good as xbox. The controls are a little harder to use, but once u are used to them it doesnt matter. Graphics: I am not a graphics-obsessed person. i do not care if the framerate is any different for the wii as it is for the xbox. I have played both of them and i can say that the wii graphics are excellent for the wii. xbox is slightly more realistic. Also, The wii graphics do not make it impossible to aim. That is on many reviews, but it never changed anything for me.so overall, it has good graphics.WII controlls: worse than xbox, but not terrible.they get around a 3.5 out of five points compared to xbox. My biggest problem is using the melee attack and throwing grenades. realoading too. it is annoying. It doesnt affect the game in any big-major way. It is however a little anoying. ONLINE: xbox kills the wii version in this. friend codes are super annoying. if this is why you got the game, then i would reconsider. i would buy the game just for the storymode.
(there is a reason why wii online is free and you have to pay for xbox.) so anyway, on to specials, in other words squadmate version: xbox lacks this mode, so this is one place where the wii is better. you can play with a friend on storymode, which is fun and exciting. the normal play against your friend is good, too. so anyway, here is the final score:
Story mode: 5 stars
Graphics: 4.5 start
Online: 1.5 stars (it gets this for just having online, friend codes suck.
multiplayer(not online: 4.0 stars

overall, great game- 5 stars!
HIGHLY RECOMMEND
best fps shooter for the wii!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Game Overall, December 10, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I was searching for a while online for a better than average shooter for the Wii, when I came across Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex. Since it was brand new, there were not very many reviews, which I normally read to base my decision on. This game was less expensive than I found from most of the big retailers, so that was a good thing, plus it shipped for free! Once I got it at home, i started playing right away. I'm a novice at the Wii Zapper, so if you are in to that, there are no customizations for the button layout, which I could say is the only bad thing about this game. If you don't use the Zapper, there are several other button layouts to choose from. Using the zapper gives it a more interactive way of playing- you need to twist the remote a certain way and press the right button to make your character do what you want. It takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, its a lot of fun. There are many levels and different skill settings for each. Multi-player online is a blast. There are numerous maps to play, a bunch of game types like Team Deathmatch, Free-for-all, Headquarters, etc, and it keeps stats on all your online play, unlocking different options as you progress to higher ranks. All in all, I'd recommend this game to anyone into shooters who owns a Wii.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG Epic Solo Gaming on Wii!, November 20, 2009
Rob (Colorado) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is some of the most exciting gaming I've had on Wii outside of the standard party games that make Wii great.

I absolutely love the first person shooter experience using the Wii remote + Nunchuck, and COD: Modern Warfare is a superb implementation of FPS!

- Graphics are amazing (for Wii or not, it's easy to get immersed)
- Controls are fully customizable (and extremely slick! I love Wii for FPS)
- Wide variety of missions. Gunning off the side of a helicopter, stealth missions, rescue, night missions, sniper, infiltration..!
- Epic scenarios (sinking tanker in the middle of the ocean? Awesome)
- Large numbers of enemies (and helicopters) on screen at a time
- No noticeable lag or frame rate dropping, even in intense fire battles. These people know how to program on Wii
- Great Story
- Polish all over the place
- FUN

I was looking for a mature, fun Wii game that makes me gasp "Whoa!" and this is IT!

Highly Recommended!

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex - Nintendo Wii
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex - Nintendo Wii by Activision Inc. (Nintendo Wii)
$22.32