Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day

COD4 is truly one of the best first person shooter games. You can play the story mode which takes you through an entire war, with a detailed and intriguing story, and has many different styles of play. Some stages will require straight gun fights, while others will require you to be stealth and snipe your enemies from afar.

The best thing about this game is the Multiplayer function. This is such a great feature as it extends the play value of the game. In most games, once you beat the story mode, there is hardly any reason to play again. however, in multiplayer mode, you will be playing with other gamers around the world online, for free, and get to eliminate each other. Multiplayer mode has many different modes to choose from such as "capture the flag", or "free for all" but the main objectives are all the same. eliminate your opponents!

If you need more detailed footage of the game, just youtube it and see how the game play is in action.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 26, 2008
This is the game that made me decide to buy a PS3. I'd only had a Wii before, and figured that was enough. Then for Christmas one of my friends bought this for himself as a "present" along with a PS3, and invited me over to play it. The moment it started up I realized I needed to get this game.

The cinematics and graphics really are top-notch. Even though it's an older game by now (the next Call of Duty is already slated to drop in less than a month), this still holds up among many of the newer games coming out. I dare you not to drop your jaw when you go through the "Shock and Awe" level...just amazing.

The gameplay is really easy to get ahold of. I'd always been a fairly loyal Nintendo fan, so I hadn't played a lot of First Person shooters, but within 20 minutes or so I was blowing through the easy difficulty. The game does ramp up considerably for the hardcore crowd though, so if you really want to put your skills to the test, this is the game for you.

Speaking of putting your skills to the test. This is the one warning and the one "bad" thing I have to say about the game. This game has been out for almost a year, and some people have been playing it non-stop since it came out. If you go online you will die. A lot. I mean it, you will not know what hit you for your first few rounds. The online component is fantastic, but I would really recommend spending a good deal of time on the campaign mode before you even try to hop online. Or better yet, start a game with some of your friends so the odds might be a little more even.

A quick note about the Game of the Year edition. It's cool looking, but if you can get the regular edition for cheaper you should probably go for it. The only difference is a voucher to download the 4 extra maps for multiplayer, and you can only use them online if every one you're playing with has downloaded them as well. Most people haven't, so I've only gotten to use them a handful of times. They look neat, but ultimately you won't get to use them much.

There's a good reason this game was given a game of the year edition. It's probably the best FPS to come out on the PS3 so far, and possibly this generation. On the 360 it even managed to dethrone Halo 3 on Live for awhile because so many people were into it. Buy it and see, odds are you will not be dissapointed.
on November 8, 2011
I bought this excited that it was the game of the year edition for PS3. Game of the year edition comes with all the extra multiplayer maps that others had to pay for on the Playstation Network. I was disappointed when I really received the Greatest Hits version. I checked the website to make sure and it said
"This game has recently become part of the "Greatest Hits" program and the packaging has been updated. You may receive the standard or greatest hits version of the game; while packaging may vary, the game content is the same. "

This is an outright lie. The game content is not the same and now I will have to pay an extra $15 to get the multiplayer maps that should have been included according to Amazon.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 16, 2008
If you love playing Unreal or Halo, this game will probably catch you off guard. However, in the recent surge of "realistic" shooters, COD4 really seems to take the cake. The story mode is enthralling through most of the missions. If you haven't played many next-gen games before this, you'll likely play through the first mission with your jaw on the floor. The game looks very detailed and gameplay is smooth and entertaining.

Even as good as the one-player missions are, the real reason for buying this or most shooters is for the online play. You'll find plenty of opponents waiting online in one of the many gameplay types. Online games range from 4-18 players depending on the mode, and it has a big effect. Smaller games will make you feel a little more adrenaline because you don't know where the next enemy is going to jump out. Some of the bigger games can be a little more laid back, and make it easier to play without be afraid of dying.

The interface of the game is well-made, controls are smooth, even if they may take a few plays to get used to, and sounds and visuals are realistic for the weapons and maps. This is not a game where you can run straight through the middle of a field and come out on the other side alive, since 3-4 bullets from many guns will kill you. That said, a lot of the games will require you to out-think your online foes, or at least be quicker to the draw.

This Game of the Year edition of COD4 comes with (I believe) 4 extra maps in a "map pack", a $10 value for free. This was not a breaking point for me in the purchase, but some of them are pretty cool. When you enter the code in the Playstation Store and download the maps, you then install them to the HDD and they are immediately playable in split-screen and online modes. They are all pretty fun to play, but if you can find COD4 without the GOTY distinction for a cheaper price (I'd say at least $10) go ahead and pick it up. The extra maps aren't really used enough to be necessary.

All in all, it's the best shooter in terms of realism I've played to this point, and I'd recommend this game for anyone who enjoys shooters (with a little strategy) or anyone who likes military games, because this game immerses you in military lingo and strategy, especially in the solo missions.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon September 11, 2010
There's one very annoying thing about the Game of the Year Edition for the PS3 that makes me glad I didn't pay extra for it: it's no different than the regular edition. While the PC version offers extras, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare for the PS3 no longer gives you the bonus map pack (or anything else) for paying extra and purchasing the Game of the Year Edition. Any additional map packs (I found one, the "Variety Map Pack") have to be downloaded from the PlayStation store for an extra fee. If you're looking at the GotY edition for the purpose of multiplayer, keep this in mind as nothing extra comes in the GotY and the "Variety" map pack costs extra to purchase. The "bonus map pack" referred to on Activision's site was a limited-time-only promotion.

Now that I've played this game on the PC, XBox 360, and PS3, I have to say that the XBox 360 feels just a bit better--but the PS3's translation is still very good. As a PC Gamer coming to consoles, I have a hard time finding a first-person shooter that I'm even barely competent in. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare for the PS3 has been one of the best translations for me (my other favorite is the Orange Box). It has a very "playable" feel, making my WASD-familiar brain feel very comfortable switching over to the PS3's controller. While I've seen more than one title using very obvious auto-aim, making your reticle snap-to and stick or making anyone in the neighborhood of your shots magically sprout magnets and pull fire to them, CoD: Modern Warfare doesn't do this. Instead it just makes it easier for me to center on my target while I'm running and/or crouching, jumping, etc.--it's like the right stick moves consistently smoother. That makes it just plain easier to multi-task. Given that I typically have some pretty hefty hardware on the PC, I wasn't certain if the PS3 version would match the quality of my high-end gaming machine. I was pleasantly surprised when things looked just as sharp on the console as they do on the PC: the programmers definitely took advantage of the PS3's unique hardware.

I've now played this game's Single-Player Campaign through more than once, and loved it. Like other titles in the Call of Duty series, it uses team-based play, and simulates your team using the computer to "drive" your teammates. Continuing in the tradition of the other titles, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare adds more structure to the missions, more life to the characters, and more depth to the story. You spend most of the game as new recruit 'Soap' MacTavish, but you also get to flash back to an earlier point in the story, play as your commanding officer, and learn more about him.

One odd departure from other games is that there are storyline sequences that are not exactly "playable", but neither are they cutscenes. You live a segment of the storyline through the eyes of the person going through it. These are short, so they don't frustrate, and what they do is heighten the drama. It's an interesting technique, and because it isn't overused, it works well here to keep the storyline going.

Another great pacing trick is that the storyline spans countries. It crosses continents and it puts you in more than one spot: one of my favorites was manning three guns using night-vision cameras aboard a large plane as it provides air support to your team on the ground. Overall, the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare graphics are very detailed, the environments feel authentic, and the sounds impressed me. I liked the dialogue and I really enjoyed the fact that my teammates seemed to be somewhat intelligent. There were some really neat goals in each mission, and I have fond memories of the adrenaline rush. I'm delighted that they made a Modern Warfare 2.
on February 13, 2009
I received COD4 as a gift, however, i'm no stranger to COD. I've been playing since COD2: Big Red One (PS2).

CAMPAIGN: By far the most immersing and welcoming campaign i've played on an FPS. From your first training mission, to your last *NO SPOILERS* mission, you will notice how detailed the campaign is, and how deep the story goes. There is even a mission where you are in 1992 in Chernobyl Pripyat Ukraine. The AI are intelligent and will react to your every move. For example, when on a mission against the OpFor, playing as the USMC, I encountered a building filled with enemies firing mounted Machine guns out the window, pinning my squad down. I hid behind a shipping crate, but whenever I peeked around the corner to fire shots with my M4, they responded by either retreating back farther in the room, or by remembering my position making me very vulnerable. That is only just a taste of the smart AI. However, if that's too hard for you (I played on normal difficulty and completed the last mission all the way up to the airplane), you can just select easy. Generally this game is not hard to learn at all, and trust me, you wont be overwhelmed, the campaign is very balanced. And the other soldiers in your group will help you and will be effective. There is a perfect balance between the AI (friendly and enemy) in COD4MW.

ARCADE MODE: After completing campaign, you will be left wanting more. Arcade Mode fulfills that desire. Arcade Mode allows you to select any previous mission, and play through it earning points for killing enemies. This gives Arcade Mode an interesting "skirmish" type feel.

MULTIPLAYER: The obvious big part of COD4MW is Multiplayer. It consists of many gametypes, Team Deathmatch, Mercenary Team Deathmatch, Free-For-All, Sabotage, Domination, Ground War, just to name a few, there are many more. There are 20 Multiplayer maps (including the Variety Map Pack, 4 extra maps), some based off of Campaign, others uniquely their own, they are: Ambush, Backlot, Bloc, Bog, Countdown, Crash, Crossfire, District, Downpour, Overgrown, Pipeline, Shipment, Showdown, Strike, Vacant, and Wetwork. The Variety Map Pack is available for download on Playstation Store and Xbox Live and includes the last four maps: Broadcast, Chinatown, Creek, and Killhouse. It only costs $9.99 (about $2.50 per map) I would recommend buying the map pack as soon as you can because those bonus maps are spectacular and without them you will miss out on playing with other players who do have it. The Multiplayer experience is the best i've played on an FPS and it is highly addicting. You can invite friends into your party, and play in games together on a team, as well as join random games that are in the Lobby, or that are in progress. You can also create classes with many combinations of your own weapons and perks. For example: the class that I use often is one that I created, I named it .50 Cal, because the setup is:
PRIMARY WEAPON: Barret .50 Cal Sniper Rifle, No Attachment, Digital Camouflage.
SECONDARY WEAPON: Gold Desert Eagle.
SPECIAL GRENADE: Stun Grenade, Device that disorients the target when detonated.
PERKS: PERK 1: Bandolier (Extra ammo) PERK 2: Stopping Power (Increased Bullet Damage PERK 3: Deep Impact (Deeper Bullet Penetration for shooting through walls better.) Shooting through walls is an effective way to kill enemy players. There is also a ranking system in Online Multiplayer mode. You start out as a Private Level 1, however the highest rank is a Commander Level 55 (which is what I am). However there is a Prestige Mode that allows you to trade in all your weapon unlocks for 10 additional Insignias that are real Navy Insignias. Thus, making the actual highest rank a Level 55 Gold Cross. This gives the game a total of 605 levels to achieve. Challenges are also important in the game. They can consist of anything such as kill enemies with cooked grenades, kill enemies while they are stunned, etc. Weapon challenges are getting headshots to unlock camouflage, and kills to unlock attachments. For Example, 25 headshots with the M4 will earn you Digital Camouflage, 75 Blue Tiger Camouflage, and 150 Red Tiger Camouflage. 25 Kills will earn you a silencer, 75, a Red Dot Sight, and 150, ACOG Scope. There are challenges such as this for every weapon, and you can complete them over any course of time. So that if you only get 5 kills per match over the course of five maps, you've got the silencer unlocked.

SPLIT SCREEN: The offline Split-Screen is a terrific feature that allows you to play with up to 4 players total. Split-Screen is very fun. You can select any map, and choose from a range of gametypes. Be creative. There are many possible game setup combinations.

I give COD4MW a 5/5 for fun and overall. It is a masterpiece and deserves game of the year. You will love COD4 and will have a lot of fun.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 18, 2009
This game is totally awesome and you absolutely must play this online. It completely changes the entire dynamic of the game when you play online because every single player you play online is a real person somewhere and you progress upward from a private all the way to who knows what! Also this game is barely an M rating and I think it should have gotten a T rating. There is a very small amount of red splatter when you take someone out. Don't let the M scare you off, it's really an awesome soldier game.
on May 8, 2009
If you are a fan of multiplayer first person shooters, look no further! I've tried Battlefield: Bad Company (which is fun), COD World at War (great), Resistance FOM (eh, OK), Team Fotress 2 (different, but good) and Killzone 2 (still getting used to it, but cool).

This is the game that they all want to be! Congrates to Activision and Infinity Ward for coming out with this breakthough game.
VINE VOICEon December 14, 2009
As I planned to play through CoD4 before the release of Modern Warfare 2 I got the dreaded red ring of death on my 360. So instead of buying a new 360 I just ordered a copy of the CoD4 Game of the Year instead. I notice no real difference between the PS3 version and teh 360 version.

The story and gameplay is fantastic and hold up well against Modern Warfare 2. Granted the couple years of development helped to polish MW2 a bit better, but CoD4 stands up an a premier game still, three years later.

The game play is fast and intense with constant streams of enemies attaching. That can be fun and at times can be annoying. Sometimes you just end up fighting until you cross a certain spawn point which means you really can't thin out the mass of enemies. You are better to movie forward that being tactical and slow. That means CoD4 can lend itself to a sort of run and gun gameplay style, particularly on the easier settings. On Hardcore and Veteran things get amazingly hard though and if you are looking for an amazing challege that is where you will find it. While I manage to eventually make it through the game on veteran towards the end it was an act of determination, since it was not fun anymore.

The enemy AI is good and they will flank and take cover, though some will charge you at times resulting in a rifle butt to the face and instant death if you aren't fast enough. The weapons in game are great and all feel pretty unique. The reloading sequences are very accurate and the guns feel unique and weighty. In too many games the weapons all feel the same but in CoD4 there are advantages to each, even more so during multiplayer.

The campaign is fantastic. Granted it follows the CoD pattern with epic set piece scenes and a very linear path. But the graphics and polish combined with the amazing story make it easy to immerse yourself in the game play. CoD has a habit of pushing the envelope with each now game and CoD4 is no different, from first person executions and nuclear explosions CoD4 has it all. I would also be remiss were I not to mention the level you operate as a gunner on an AC130. This level was so well done and such an amazing change of pace. You leave the gritty on the ground feel and get to fight through a level from the safety of a gunship. The in ship dialog is spot on and its hard to tell if you are watching actual footage online or playing the level, which is fantastic.

All in all if you haven't jumped one to the CoD Modern Warfare bandwagon its time to get a ticket. Modern Ware 2 is a fantastic game by if you haven't played the first one yet you owe it to yourself to give it a play through.
on January 1, 2009
I have had COD4 for almost a year now, and I decided to give it a review after all this time. The game is absolutely fun, if you just like all 'Run N Gun' action, then this game has all that. The graphics are above average, though nothing really ground breaking but graphics don't really interest me...The single player mode is nothing spectacular either, and it won't keep you from playing this game over and over - it's really short....The main reason you want to buy this game is because of Multilayer:

Online is the best of the game, though maybe not your first time because you'll be tossed into the lion's den against veterans, maybe some that have been playing for a LONG time. The controls are easy, and you shouldn't have any problems (unless you're really bad at games). This game can easily be addicting, at one time I played this game for about 10 hours with some friends; we switch ON-OFF. It almost seems to be perfect, but where there's online...there comes problems. The connection for the game can really get annoying, at times you may get disconnected 10x in just minutes, that's pretty bad. This usually happens everyday, it can get annoying. Since the new patch that was release back then (don't remember) the connection for the game has gotten worse. I couldn't even last in one server for a full game. I hope they soon patch this up, I would like to not have connection issues, and I'm sure many can vouch on my claims.

NOTE: COD4 really wears out your left-joystick. Since the sprint feature is to press down the L3 stick, overtime your SIXAXIS will start showing signs of wear on it...and in some cases it will even get stuck when you move it. My original SIXAXIS that came with the PS3 broke because of this; the design of the first SIXAXIS was really cheap, it didn't feel as strong as the DUALSHOCK 3. I recommend you get a DS3 if you decided to play this game, the design of it is much more sturdy than the cheap SIXAXIS. So far no signs of wear-and-tear on my DUALSHOCK 3.

NOTE 2: Also the game does NOT feature rumble, and I don't think it ever will.