Great for single-user online, very fun, but......
Requires online profile authentication for every mode of gameplay. This has usually been left alone for local LAN. They have put a deathgrip on local lan multiplayer which for the first time makes me consider using a modded exe.
I have a 6 user lanparty room in my house where I play games with my kids and friends. COD4 was the greatest, The latest cod4 patch made you turn off punkbuster when hosting/playing with same key but still worked. this new game makes this sooo frustrating. I am certainly not a game pirate but disallowing local lan on same serial is a step too far to me. I will not buy six copies of a $50 dollar game, sorry activision. major fail.
Why will you allow 4 player split screen on console, but not 4 player lan with same disk??????????????
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 4, 2013
If you were wondering if this works on windows 8 well it works perfect. I just need a better graphic card which I ordered a few days ago to arrive tmw. BUY IT. My favorite CoD.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 16, 2008
Despite the horror stories of people unable to install, I was able to install mine and the single player campaign works fine, however it bugs me that it requires you to create an online profile and install punkbuster.

Anyway, this `off shoot' COD by Treyarch does deliver some entertaining gaming, although it must be said that it doesn't match the works of Infinity Ward, certainly after COD4, CODWAW is a bit of a let down. One noticeable difference between COD4 and CODWAW is the sound. The sound effects of gunfire are a little disappointing with the latter especially with some weapons, although the explosions are ok, so too are the voices.

As for the gameplay, at moments it's pretty engaging; when you incinerate Japanese defenders in their trenches and pillboxes, it does give you an adrenaline rush. And it is huge fun to stop a Banzai attack in its track with your shotgun. As with COD4, you won't pass any level without dying at least 10 times from grenade explosions, there are attack dogs as well; on Pacific missions, crazy Japanese defenders will jump out of nowhere and bayonet you, so the game is quite thrilling.

There are issues with accuracy; many times I swear I've lined up the sights, fire one or a couple of rounds, and the Japanese or German is still standing and firing away. I'm unsure if this is a flaw or intended physics (perhaps developers felt that 30 cal or 7.92mm ammo and their recoil weren't as accurate as modern M4/5.56mm?) though I suspect the former.

Graphics-wise, some scenes will blow you away, like during the first mission, at night time and a flare goes up, as the flares back down, the way its light penetrates the jungle foliage and cast moving shadows on a river stream is just outstanding. Other levels, whether in the urban fighting of Stalingrad or Japanese island trenches, are well done. No complaints so far about the level design.

I'm about halfway through the game and I've had a pretty engrossing experience so far; as said, it doesn't reach the COD4 benchmark but nonetheless it's still a blast to play and I hope the single player campaign lasts longer than COD4.
on December 2, 2008
I love Call of Duty 4 so when Activision releases Call of Duty World at War I went out and bought it. I wish that I had read reviews about this game before purchasing this junk. The game install fine but when I tried to start the game in the solo mode, the game crash and even after I had followed Activision Tech support advice to disable my modem, reset my sound card to Basie mode, even editing my registry to set Directsound to Emulated and installing a 300 MB patch, my game still would not work. Activision also has some of the rudest tech support in the industry at least in my experience.

When a software company like Activision have to put out a 300+ MB patch just a week after this game was release you know their product is a piece of junk. If your idea of fun is to throw away $50 and spending hours troubleshooting a crappy game for Activision then this game is for you. If you are like most normal people who expect a product to work when you bought it then stay away from this piece of trash. It's fitting that this game is called World at War, you will be at war trying to get this buggy product to work.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 12, 2008
I bought this on the suggestion of a employee at a video game store. He said he had the Xbox 360 version and it was one of the most entertaining games he has ever played. I wanted to purchase a new squad based first person shooter because I have gotten tired of Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142. Well, there are several problems with this game.

1) It plays like a console game, not like a computer game. When you move around in the game, the movement feels rigid like a console game, not smooth.
2) The colors in the game are very monochromatic, like console games. You expect to see brighter colors in a computer game because a computer has more memory and better video cards. This game has very muted colors.
3) You have to install an update immediately.
4) The sounds are horrible for the game. All the guns sound the same.
5) The game is very linear. You have invisible walls to force you to go in 1 direction in single player. (I'm not sure if that is true of multiplayer)
6) You don't have the freedom to modify your controls, compared to other games. I can usually set each of my weapons to a different numeric key on my keyboard, in this game, you have to use the mouse wheel to scroll between weapons.
7) It may just be me, but I can't play any multiplayer internet games at all. The servers keep saying I have a different version of CoD WaW, even after I downloaded and installed the updated that is already out.

*** Finally, I tried to get on the CoD message board and write a message to try and figure out why I can't play multiplayer, and every time I try and write a message, it says I'm not authorized. Even though I authorized myself via email from their forums. It seems kind of stupid to me that if someone needs help with a recently purchased game, that they have to wait a certain amount of time, or wait for an admin to authorize them, to be able to get help with a game problem. :(

All in all, I'm sure the console game is fun. However the PC game feels like a port from a console game.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 19, 2008
I never have regretted buying a video game more.

The AI is downright atrocious, with team mates running in to your explosives so they bounce back at you, to STANDING between you and your enemy (but it's ok, you can fill them with bullets and they won't die...or move) and, best of all, if you miss killing anyone, your team won't either and they'll shoot you in the back!

The main other issue is the game is ridiculously SHORT. I beat it in under 3 hours of play and that's just downright depressing. I am very let down with this.

As other reviewers mentioned, the game is buggy as well, it glitches sometimes, such as I rockets coming down from the middle of the sky on the final mission.

Overall, do not buy this game, if you can rent it and REALLY want to play it, then do. But it is not worth more than $15.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 1, 2009
I have been a fan of the Call of Duty series from the beginning and have owned and played every new release. Like every other COD fan I was anxious for this new release. Now... I am really disappointed.

The game installs and plays fine for me... no technical problems (out of the norm) to speak of.

It falls short in game play and fun. As with Treyarch's other "masterpiece", Call of Duty 3, this one falls short. By now Activision should know that Infinity Ward knows what works. Had Infinity Ward developed this game (like they did COD 2 and 4), even in a WWII setting, I think it would have been a success instead of the disappointment it is.

Don't let me understate the game... it is "good," just not great like we had come to expect from Call of Duty. Both 2 and 4 are destined to become all time classics, while 3 and 5 are mostly forgettable.

I still play the game, and if you're a die hard Call of Duty fan you'll buy this game no matter what we write here. Just take the advice and don't expect COD 4 greatness, and you'll likely enjoy it.

I can't put my finger on the why. Something about the game play just doesn't feel right... the maps and plot, along with weapons and graphics are good, just doesn't deliver for ME. Others may thoroughly enjoy it.

I might add that my 14 year old son, who also love the series, feels the same. Comments from others I know who play express similar sentiments. Infinity Ward, thankfully, is developing the next release and so we have something to look forward to.
on November 28, 2008
I've tried this game on 2 different PC's only 1 could run it and the other just locks up and blue screens, if it doesn't do that it will get a black screen and hangs.

On the system that it works on, I played through the single player and at first I was really disappointed, it got a little better in some missions but the whole campaign is disjointed and didn't flow at all. Most the time the enemies would popup and down like a duck hunt game. The final scene was good but the whole SP campaign was way too short.

Onto the multiplayer, could have been alright but most of the maps aren't that great, connectivity issues are huge and everyone I know can't get into a co-op match.

I ranked my way up and after a crash trying to quit the game I lost all my stats.

The sound is also messed up bad on Multiplayer (I have an XFI 7.1 sound card) you can't hear people around you and guns being shot 10 feet away sound like they are a mile away as do the grenades.

I have 2 9800's and the game won't run in SLI so my frame rates are 1/2 of what they should be.

Overall I wish I hadn't bought this game as it's like a beta that still needs fixing and for $50 + it shouldn't have all these problems.
I've been looking at other forums trying to fix all these issues and there are lot's of people having the same problems. My computers are way above the min spec and that isn't the reason why this game is so flaky.
They play Far Cry 2 and Left 4 Dead great as well as COD4 at max settings.

Issues aside I'd give the game a 2 out of 5 stars based on the SP campaign and the overall quality of the MP maps.

Counting in the flaky game play and no support from the game maker as of 11/28/08 3 weeks after release I give this 1 star. Also I'd like to add that up to now I've loved all the COD's that came before except COD 3 - also made by Trearch. If you like games not working right and trying everything under the sun to fix stuff you shouldn't have to even touch then you might have fun trying to fix stuff but it sucked what little fun there is in this game - out for me.

Update 12/30/2008 7 weeks after the game came out and no patches to fix the tons of issues people are reporting. This is the worst support I have ever seen in a COD game, the game's makers won't even respond to people's questions and users are left to search for help in the user forums that are filled with people that flame you when you post a legitimate question. The sound is so bad that I just quit playing, I have a XFI 5.1 sound system and the sound is not close to working right. I can't hear the other players movements and grenades and guns sound muffled and distant even when they are right next to me. The positional sound isn't right and makes for pure frustration.
on November 18, 2008
I'm not going to add a whole lot here. I agree with several of the other posters regarding the negatives of this game. I do not have a problem running it (Vista 32-bit) but for me there are few things that are deal-breakers:

1. The sound is horrible. I don't mean average. I mean it stinks-out-loud. Remeber COD 1 where the sounds of the weapons made your ears bleed? Forget it here. Extremely weak.

2. The maps - while creative - are really not conducive to online Deathmatch. Most are way too small to accomodate 50 players. So what happens? You're shaking and jiving and the next thing you know the other team is spawning behind you and ripping you to shreds. Oh...this happens in other COD games but for some reason it's terribly apparent that the spawn management in the game is horrible. I died a lot in other games but it can happen this fast: Die. Reach for your cup for a cool drink. Die again before it reaches your lips. Die again before you set it down.

3. Unrealistic capabilities abound. You kill 3 people in a row and now you've got radar (called Recon Plane but its effect is radar-like). In WWII? Since it only takes 3 kills in a row to activate the skill you pretty much spend the entire game with radar up. 'Unleash the Dogs!' - Give me a break. These mutts can get loose in a spawn area and roll up the entire flank. There weren't this many dogs in all of Russia by 1942...most had been cooked up for supper. In any case, it's very frustrating to be Michael Vicked to death over and over.

Bottom Line: I bought it on Friday and today is Tuesday and I'm done with it.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 4, 2008
It's bad enough that Activision released this game and a 340 MB bug fix on the same day, but it still doesn't work for me and thousands of other folks who bought this game because they had confidence in the quality of the COD series. Activision has no useful advice on it's web site and there is no evidence that they are working on the release of another bug fix anytime soon.

How can this be? How could they blow this so badly and not be responsive to customer complaints? It sure makes you wonder what the heck is going on with them. And it has become obvious that they place little value on the loyalty of their customers. This fiasco will cost them dearly.
---------------------------------
Update July 2009
So here we are seven months later and I thought I'd give it another try. I installed the latest patches (1.5 patch is nearly one gigabyte) and the game loads but there's no audio. Spent two hours messing around with audio drivers and DirectX and still no sound.
Spent a couple more hours searching the internet for a solution. The suggestion for XP users is, "DISABLE Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio device" in Device Manager. Of course I don't have that in my list of devices so I can't disable it.
Oh well.
It's bad enough I wasted money on a game that doesn't work, but how many hours have I wasted now trying to get this crappy thing to work? Activision ought to reimburse me for the game AND for the time I've spent trying to get it to work. Never again.