5.0 out of 5 stars Well Done! Well Done!
Published on November 20, 2008 by J. Washburn

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but nothing we haven't seen. Not worth $60
I will start off by saying that I had to return my copy to Amazon, because it kept freezing the PS3. Either online or playing the single player at various times. It became quite annoying quickly. I did end up renting it and finishing it.

Published on December 15, 2008 by Grandizer

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Done! Well Done!, November 20, 2008
This review is from: Call of Duty: World at War (Video Game)
I have been reading all the other reviews over the past few days and some of them made me wonder if the game was worth it or it was gonna be a dud. I was really worried about the aspect ratio in the coop mode. I was worried about the online play. I was worried about the scoring system. I was worried that a game I really enjoyed, Call of Duty 4, was going to be tainted by a bad game. WoW was I ever glad to be wrong.

Let me tell you about Call of Duty: World at War.

Its realistic. Its honest. Its brutal. Its massive. Its haunting. Its chaotic. Its mind-numbingly astonishing. Its everything COD4 introduced and everything COD4 could not be. It hits home. It makes you appreciate the terror our men faced during those times. It makes you realize that war is not pretty, its evil and sick; and the landscapes, buildings and natural surroundings are just as deadly as the people that hide in them.

For those of you who have ragged on this game I think your nuts. The controls are the same. The ranking systems are similiar. The coop play is amazing. The single player story line is terrifying. The maps on multi player stay with you long after you stop playing... the belfry that you can snip from, the cat walk beside the giant water tower that you can hide on, the tanks, the bunkers, the assylum and its haunting rooms, the air field, the normady beach, the cliffsides, the jungles...

I was playing last night on one of the online maps. I was running away from this guy and I had ditched him and found a small hiding place to make a stand and ambush him. As my heart slowed and I gained my bearings I started looking around... thats when I realized I was in a room with bars on the windows and a broken wooden door not far from me. I started examining the room. I looked up and thats when my heart stopped. I saw a long set of pipes that trailed the ceiling and at the end of each set of pipes was a sprinkler or a shower head... I was in a gas chamber. I was standing inside a chamber that was recreated from images out of a WWII concentration camp.

World at War is incredible. It is beyond imagination. I am floored and I am left without anything more to say than - WoW.

Buy this game. If you loved COD4... hold onto your SixAxis controller cause your gonna be blown away.

Happy Hunting and as you play, remember those who have embraced the slumber that they will never be awakened from... who sacrificed their life so you could have the freedom to play a game like World at War.

Never Forgotten! Always Remembered!

Edit:

It is December 22nd and I am reviewing what I previously wrote and I must say that I am even more impressed with COD5 than I originally was. I went back and played COD4 the other day and I was dissapointed at the lack of colors and suspense and at how 'sandbox' the levels are. I have fun with COD4 but to be honest there is just something about COD5 that hooks me.

I must admit that I am fairly new to the COD franchise. I recall playing COD3 I believe or possibly COD Big Red One. But I was not impressed. It was fun. But no high replay value. The WWII stuff was cool but not so much. The game was cheesy and hard and I was not impressed with the COD franchise at the time. When I played COD4 I was really impressed. When I played COD5 I was hooked and I am now a believer in the COD franchise.

I do not want to spoil too much for anyone but here are some small tips. Go online and try the Co-op campaing modes with your buddies. Or rather go head to head with them in a coop competition to see who gains the most points at the end of the session. COD5 is brilliant and I do not regret a day gone by for having bought it. While you are playing look around the maps, use teamwork that you will need to achieve victory against your opponent. I have to admit that I truly enjoy all of the maps. Each map has the perfect place for every kind of player and ever kind of player class. The only problem is others know those perfect spots too but occasionally you find your sweet spot.

So. Once again. Happy hunting and I will look forward to seeing you on the battle field.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best FPS games ever, December 4, 2008
This review is from: Call of Duty: World at War (Video Game)
COD WaW is way different than COD4. The first thing you notice is the grainy (almost Sepia) quality of the graphics. That said, the cut scenes and the graphics are better that COD4. Unlike anything made by Ubisoft or Unreal (IMHO their games blow), this games smokes all of the competition.

Cooperative play is an interesting new feature to the COD series. You can play in split-screen mode with another player. Basically, it's solo mode for two (if that makes any sense). If your comrade is injured, your have to find him and administer first-aid otherwise you both die. I have 2 HDTVs and 2 PS3s and sprung for a second copy so my son and I can play cooperatively. It's really cool playing zombie in cooperatiive play. Oh yeah, don't forget to get your raygun in the second level. Check youtube for some good glitches -- especially the one on the second floor in zombie mode (bring a flamethrower and an LMG). Cooperative play on a smaller screens just doesn't work.

I completed solo play in Veteran mode and it took about 20 hours. Yeah, you get killed a lot and it takes forever to complete a mission -- but that's the point. War isn't running into a room full of enemies and hosing them down with your machine gun without getting a scratch. It's about tactics, planning and killing the enemy without getting yourself killed. In Veteran mode, you have no choice other than to plan your moves, use the terrain to your advantage and proceed cautiously. Simply put; it's hard to survive. For some reason, I completed a level where you clear out the artillery from the Japanese caves but it doesn't register as a checkpoint so I got stuck and couldn't continue. If you get stuck like I did the download a saved game from the Internet (for free).

Other reviewers said they completed the game in under 10 hours. I doubt it can be done that quickly unless they're playing at the Rookie level. No way at Veteran level.

There's some cool new fetures too: you can drive and fire a tank, and then there's also a flamethrower. The tank is OK and the trick is to hang back and take out opponents one at a time -- using the landscape as cover against other tanks. If you're up to flaming-up the enemy and watching them burn (some burning much more energetically than others), then this is a ton of fun in a sick kind of way. In story mode, I've done entire levels with only the flamethrower despite its limited range (even though I was packing a LMG too). This is possible because Activision programmed in a feature that the enemy doesn't shoot at you until you get close when holding the flamethrower. You can prove this by switching to another weapon and you instantly get shot at. It's a bunch of fun to burn down trees too. A word of caution: You can burn yourself up if you walk into the flames.

In Veteran story mode, ammo conservation is always an issue. While your teamates seems to have an unlimited supply of ammo, you don't. Swapping your weapon for an enemy's drop is an option but not in all cases. For example, you don't want to drop your sniper rifle for a machine gun. You're better off locating enemies using the scope and picking them off using a lesser weapon that you have a bunch of ammo for.

Online play is good once you level-up to some decent weapons. Keep in mind this is WWII so there's no lasers, night-vision and barely any scoped weapons. Automatics are slow and not too accurate. It takes several body shots to drop a target. I find myself going for head-shots because a single shot does the job. There's a new level called Bootcamp that you can play until Level 8. There's a glitch that you can exploit to level-up more quickly. Once you're in Bootcamp you can stay there indefinately as long as you don't leave. In other words, you can level up to 44 in about 8 hours in Bootcamp.

This game is rated M for Mature. The rating is justified because there is some pretty graphic material and language. For example, when you step on a land mine your legs get blown off. This is way more intense than COD4.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review from an older gamer. This is what COD3 should have been., December 6, 2008
This review is from: Call of Duty: World at War (Video Game)
Since most gamers are probably a lot younger than me, I'll give a review from an older person's view. This is more on an old school game. If you're looking for a game like COD4 with a modern theme, and advanced weapons, this game will might disappoint you. World at War is a great game, but this game is not really a sequel. It is an entirely different game and theme. This is what COD3 should have been. It takes the COD series back to it's WWII roots. It's not perfect though. It has its minor glitches, and the the single player is a little short. But it's a huge improvement to COD3. For those that feel the old WWII theme might bore you, it does have a bonus mode called "Nacht der Untoten", or Night of the Undead. You get to fight Nazi zombies. The game features excellent graphics and sound. The gameplay is very good. There are enough modes to keep the game fresh. All in all, I give it 4.5 stars. 5 stars for people like me that enjoyed the original WWII themed COD games, and 4 stars for the corwd that enjoyed COD 4 better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Call of Duty at its finest., November 11, 2008
This review is from: Call of Duty: World at War (Video Game)
Call of Duty needs no introduction as pretty much anyone into this FPS genre has played, let alone, heard of this great series. Yes, there was a mishap when COD3 was not made by the same company, but fear not. COD: World at War is just as good as COD4's campaign was... with some improvements. The only letdown may be the multiplayer this time around.

The core aspect of these COD games is the gameplay. The intense, single player campaign is here again, but this time along with it comes the very well done cooperative campaign mode. I played through this coop campaign mode with a friend of mine, and we were in love from the very beginning. It settles you in beginning in the Japan nation as a POW. After the cutscene, you then join up with your squad-mates and make your escape. The cooperative campaign was very well done. Each player receives points for kills, and your points can increase through multipliers received for chain-kills. As if the campaign wasn't intense enough as it is, this cooperative mode adds just that much more fun to an already amazing game. Props to Activision and Treyarch on this amazing new feature.

I really like the things that the developers though up for possible scenarios in this game. The traps that your squad falls into are realistic and well done. Especially the first one, which I won't spoil, but it was just simply amazing. I will remember moments like these in games forever. One of the coolest moments I had in this campaign was using a flamethrower to burn down trees that enemies were shooting at you from. Neat stuff.

My only complaint with the cooperative split-screen is the unique way that the developers incorporated the split-screen mode. It's just too small. It's a vertical split, giving player 1 a square box on the left, and player 2 a box on the right, but you don't just get the entire screen space to use even when it's split. It's further cut down. You are actually wasting several inches of screen space on both sides by doing this. I'm not sure if this was done to help frame-rates, or if they wanted to maintain a certain aspect-ratio or what they were going for here, but it's a shame that they chose to waste some of the screen space with this split-screen mode.

The audio is intense as ever. Explosions roaring through all speakers in 5.1 blazing glory. It really does sound like you are actually playing out this war yourself. You can hear your squad-mates yelling out commands and can tell if they are right behind you, or beside you. You can pinpoint enemies yelling at you and know which direction to face and return fire at. Great stuff here, no complaints in the audio department. Pure aural bliss.

I have not had enough time to comment much on the multiplayer. I did just test a couple maps quick, but I do not think this COD is a game that will take over the multiplayer aspect of COD4. I believe COD4 is still a better online game, and this new World at War game is really great for its campaign, but not necessarily the online play. If your looking for a great single player, or cooperative experience with a friend, then by all means look into getting this game. If you are wanting to know more about the online aspect, you will need to wait and find out from others who know more about the online portion. However, I really must say that this game deserves the $60 price tag for the campaign mode alone. You will want to play it alone, and with a friend. There is certainly replay value that is added to it with the cooperative mode. It's always fun to see who gets the highest score on each level. You will not be disappointed with this purchase. I'm just not too convinced that the online multiplayer will keep you for too long. If I could I'd rate it 4.5/5 for this reason.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly addictive!!!!, January 12, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: World at War (Video Game)
Very addictive game, difficult to get teens to take a break. Be aware and prepared.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but nothing we haven't seen. Not worth $60, December 15, 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: World at War (Video Game)

The game does revert back to WWII, and ads some nice touches that weren't seen in previous games. Since you are immersed in the jungle in a few missions, you encounter some ambushes from the cover of trees and from
nests hidden in the ground. It was pretty startling to see Japanese soldiers pop up from underground and charge your squad, screaming , aka, kamikaze style. This happens a lot as some levels , the enemy will just swarm from cover and charge.

The level designs are various, from jungle to towns to storming the final castle to claim victory over the enemy.The graphics are pretty nice, the light effects we decent to add the right ambiance. There is no breakthrough on graphics here,but it's not horrible.

In the traditional sense of the series, the levels are meant to be completed by the try and try again routine. There is no alternate way a level can be completed you must follow the routine, which for me was the downfall of the game. The linear gameplay in a way made the game too predictable. When walking through a jungle, you have to stick to the dirt road laid out for you, so in certain conditions, you have no where you can go. As you walk to a certain points, you can tell your going to get attacked. Game events will only get triggered by you actually running into a barrage of enemy fire. It's not meant to be played as take caution, take cover, clear an area. If you play in this style, the enemy AI will just keep respawning over and over and over again, until you advance forward even when it's not clear.It's a let down to see open areas or buildings that looks like you can walk to or in to be held back by the invisible barrier the developers put in the game. You can't hop over objects unless the developers want you too, so to get to the next waypoint which on one level was five feet from where I was standing amongst a 1 foot tall fence, I had to follow the winding length of the fence to get back to where I started.

This leads to another aspect of the game, the AI. Not the greatest at all. They will run to cover and just sit there at times. All you have to do it wait for them to pop up or out and shoot them. They really don't flank or take vantage points because the linear gameplay prohibits it.As I said before, you can throw a molotov cocktail at a .50 cal nest and burn 5 guys and if you don't advance to the area while another .50 cal on a top floor cuts you down, the enemy will respawn and do it all over again.

The online is an exact replica of COD4. The host ended game crap, the points, the perk system, the layout, everything is the same.I found no more fun to play this online than COD4, and in some ways COD4 is better.CODWAW promotes a lot of camping. Snipers and players with better weapons have a field day against newbies that don't have the better weapons, so theres lot of spawn camp kills.The spawn system will put you in front of 3 enemy players so as soon as you spawn, your dead in 1 second.

The co-op play is very fun. One person and I finished it in a few hours on hardened level, but I will tell you, once I finished it I was done with the game.

The game is fun, but not for $60. I like the Frosbite Engine that Dice has used in the Battlefield Bad Company. I have gotten used to go anywhere, do anything, no boundries,go in the thick of the forest or make my own path open sandbox gameplay. COD series to me is a step backwards and follows the go to point A, then B, then C type of gameplay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Video Game Ever Created, August 9, 2009
James Quirk (Pennsylvania United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty: World at War (Video Game)
I've been playing video games since the late 1970s when "Pong" was all that was available. Throughout the years, I've owned many video game systems, including the Atari 2600, Colecovision, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Playstation, Xbox and now a PS3. I've played many different games over the course of those years and nothing, and I mean NOTHING, compares to "Call of Duty: World at War."

Simply put, it is the best video game ever created, and it keeps getting better. Since it was released in late 2008, Activision has offered several downloadable upgrades that provide additional map areas and additional games. There are so many aspects to this game that it never gets boring. It can be played in a solo mode where the player battles through various WWII battleground sequences as either an American or a Russian, it could be played online in various "versus" modes, and then there is the "Nazi Zombie" modes which lie in their own world apart from the other offerings of this title.

My favorite way to play World at War is online in the "Free For All" mode, which pits up to eight individual players against each other in various WWII scenarios, all fighting for first place by trying to get the most kills.

It is difficult to explain to somebody how great this game really is with words. It is something that needs to be played to understand its neverending greatness.

4.0 out of 5 stars Addictive!, January 9, 2009
K9mom (Alameda, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty: World at War (Video Game)
Just like COD4, this one is has all the action and is just as addictive. The online game play is what separates this game from the pack... really well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as COD4, December 19, 2008
This review is from: Call of Duty: World at War (Video Game)
They did a good job with this game, its pretty much the same as COD4 so calling it COD4.5 would have been more appropriate, but since COD4 was so good then they did a good job not taking two steps back like they did with Resistance 2 (in my opinion). Played both games and COD5 is a lot more fun to play with far better online maps. Cant fathom why some reviewers are saying Res2 has taken online multiplayer to the next level, I still think COD is the current benchmark, maybe COD6 will take it to the next level as I dont think gamers will accept another copy of COD4.

All in all this is just as good as COD4 :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Better Than Modern Warefare 2, April 19, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: World at War (Video Game)
Infinity Ward Dropped the ball When they Released Modern Warfare 2. Not Only Did they not try to capitalize from Treyarchs World at War but Zombie mode provides a little side fun for everyone. Can I say more, Yes I can Theres Tanks, Dogs and a Story mode that actually had a Plot and the ability to blow people apart, Unlike Modern Warfare 1 or 2 in which Noob Tubing someone just shows them Rag Dolling in the Air. tryarch Spent a great deal of time on this game the maps seem bigger, the story mode is better and Infinity Wards refusal to add Zombie Mode to There game has made WAW the Superior product even years before its release. Another Bonus is the map Packs are better Unlike Modern Warfare 2 which Re - Uses Maps from the Previous Modern Warfare. But Personally This game Stands in Second Place in first person Shooters right behind Bad Company 2 which By Far is the best shooter, But don't think WAW won't give you hours of play, like I said theres nothing like taking out some zombies falling down and having a friend save you.

Call of Duty: World at War
Call of Duty: World at War by Activision Inc. (PlayStation 3)
$29.99 $17.50
In stock. Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.
Rate and Discover Movies