Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Call of Duty: World at War - PC
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 220 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on September 8, 2013
I truly believe this to be the best Call of Duty title every released. The repetitiveness of the gameplay from newer COD titles make it harder to hold my attention during multiplayer, even for the time required to unlock all of the items. But even though there are much fewer guns to play with than the more recent titles, that stays consistent with the relevant armaments of that period of warfare. There is still a amazingly large multiplayer community, with over THREE HUNDRED dedicated servers still running. However, half of these are plagued by ridiculous rules, and the amount of "tactical" servers is disgusting. While my opinion is that those players should choose a more relevant game instead of imitating Red Orchestra, the normal servers for this game remain to be vibrant, fun, and paced at a blistering speed that left a mark on the market. And we can't forget the original Zombies game.
However, in my opinion, the true gem incased in this massive jewelry case is the campaign. Gritty, violent, shocking, and spectacular, the maps in this game beat the entire Modern Warfare series in size, and the campaign environment is as varied as it is immersive.
Back to the gritty aspect, this remains the only relevant Call of Duty game with enhanced gore. And gibs. As a longterm UT player, this doesn't quite measure up, but it is nowhere near as gorey. As a gamer, it is very sickeningly entertaining to watch my legs get ripped from my body by a grenade or stray tank shell. While this game does have tanks, the gameplay is rather unrewarding, which is echoed by the general lack of multiplayer servers supporting vehicles. Overall, a very fun game that is still widely played.
on March 4, 2013
If you were wondering if this works on windows 8 well it works perfect. I just need a better graphic card which I ordered a few days ago to arrive tmw. BUY IT. My favorite CoD.
on February 28, 2013
Most sites and people say that you can't register World at War to use totally through Steam, but clearly that ONLY applies to CD versions of the game. I was skeptical at first, but this is legit, and you get the code to redeem through Steam immediately, it even tells you how to redeem it, and if you don't have Steam what all must be done to get a Steam account as well. Overall it's brilliant that Amazon offers deals like this. Seriously where else are you going to get a better price on a Steam game?
on June 6, 2014
I am new to first-person shooter video gaming. I'm 60 years old and grew up in the military. This product is excellent - it's well researched and very entertaining. Even though this is game has been on the market for years, and may be considered "old-school" by younger people it is still fun to play and was priced right. I will definitely be adding games from this series to my collection soon. I can't wait to see the Modern Warfare offerings.
on February 5, 2009
All I can say is I am still playing it and it is cool with the zombies, flame thrower, bazooka and bayonet action. Graphic are good especially when you use the flame thrower. Thank God they made a PC version I have them all now and hope the next one they dont wait to put it out in PC as well as Xbox playstation versions. The game is worth playing.
on February 6, 2016
This is one of my favorite games from the Call of Duty series. It is created by Activision and is a FPS (first person shooter) game. It has wonderful graphics and it is fun to play on both the campaign mode as well as online multi-player mode.

I have this game on both Steam and in disc format. I prefer the disc format because it doesn't require setting an account online in order to play. The campaign mode (offline play) is more graphic than online play. Adult language occurs in both modes. Online play varies depending on the other players currently playing.

I initially bought the special edition of this game which opened up better weapons right off the bat. In this version, you will have to "level- up" or earn your different weapons through online games play. This is not a concern for those purchasing the game primarily for storyline playing.

This game has been out for 7 years and still has a decent amount of online servers to play on and various server modes as well which include Capture the Flag, War, Search and Destroy, Team Deathmatch, and many others. I recommend this game to anyone that like first person shooter games as well as storylines and historical wars as it is based on World War II.
on October 13, 2014
Was definitely worth the 20 bucks!
Note: If you want to download this for Steam, all you have to do is buy the product from Amazon but do not download the installer. Instead, go to your games library in Amazon, and you should see a product code under World at War. Go to Steam and under the games tab select Activate a product on Steam and you are set!
If you do not want it for Steam, then just simply let Amazon do its job.

This game runs smoothly on my Windows 8.1 laptop and I can guarantee it is a blast to play. Especially with all the custom content!
on September 4, 2015
Due to recent releases, I've grown to hate Call of Duty. Why? Because the original concept is gone. This game is the bomb. I love it, and will never stop loving it. It's the only Call of Duty that is close to flawless. Lemme break it down.

Gameplay: 10/10. Campaign: Complete objectives, gather weapons, shoot enemies. You know the drill. Btw amazing story that is a prequel to black ops. Multiplayer: This is actually the only cod were there is gore online. But i like this one's multiplayer because it isn't spammed by quick scopers and all the people who ruin call of duty. Just your basic online players, with a simple assortment of weapons.
Zombies: Best part. Comes with four maps (all the updates for pc are free and come with the dlc, most likely due to the games age) and open mod support so you can add custom maps. (I recommend zombiemodding.com)

Graphics: 10/10. These graphics are sub-par by todays standards, but back in 2008 these graphics were ahead of their time. They really give the game its gritty World War 2 enviroment.

Sound: 8/10. The sound effects are perfect, only i feel alot of guns use the same noise, especially the pistols, that's my only problem.

Length and replay value: The campaign probably takes abt 10-12 hrs ish. You will probably spend most time on zombies so yeah replay value is good.

On my list of top 5 games. If you don't already have it, get it.
on August 8, 2014
Thank you everyone for making custom zombie maps. After enjoying Black Ops and Black Ops 2 zombies and ALL of the expansion maps, I have been waiting for the next COD zombie game with little hope. Until one day I found out about custom maps for Call of Duty World at War. I am saved for I have hour upon hour of new maps to download and play...all for free. I bought the Steam download for $20, a $30 Microsoft Xbox 360 controller for the PC and I am in heaven. And it doesn't require the latest and greatest laptop/pc in order to play this.
on April 16, 2014
Not sure why yet another CoD game gets such bad reviews. Seems to be a reoccurring theme of multi-player hackers, PC issues (whether it be install or underpowered PC), or just hater unwilling to let minor details go.

I mainly play solo campaigns so I can't say much about multi-player. If you have played a CoD game before, you will instantly be familiar with the layout of this game. Cut scene, dropped in the middle of the action, get to destination or knock out the enemy tanks, towers defense. The game itself is good. Graphics are what you would expect, especially since it was release after CoD4: MW which had pretty good graphics. I run the game maxed out and in my opinion, I think they did a great job with textures and lighting. I will say that the AI (team members or enemies) are hit or miss sometimes. Some instances they are down right vicious while other times, they are dumb as a sack of rocks. Overall though, the game is pretty consistent. I haven't had any issues where the campaign is stuck in limbo (happened a lot with Call of Duty 2 - I'd just have to restart the mission but that gets tiring after a while).

I had no issues installing the game. I am running a Dell XPS 8700, Core i7, GTX 760, 24gb RAM, Win7 Pro. Clearly it is overkill for the game. It does try to install Punkbuster, which you can opt out of. Each time you run the game, it will tell you that Punkbuster is not enabled blah blah blah. Just click OK and move on. I haven't had any issues with blue screens, freezing or the game closing out. The game runs without the use of third party DRM software such as Steam or Origins.

If you like the CoD franchise and like World War themed shooters, I highly recommend this game.