on July 12, 2009
Burned out on WWII First-Person Shooters I decided to give Call of Juarez: Bound for Blood a go and I am glad that I did. If you are a FPS fan you will most certainly enjoy this PS3 game.

There are many excellent aspects to this game that far outweigh the flaws!

1)INCREDIBLE story line gets your attention right away. This has got to be one of the best story lines in a game that I have ever played.
2)Voices used are realistic and add to the Western flavor of this FPS.
3)Classic FPS fun
4)You get to play both of the brother characters at various times throughout the game. Think ahead when picking which one because both have different strengths and weaknesses. Enjoy experimenting with the various weapons that you can find along the way.
5) I disagree with one reviewer - THE GRAPHICS ARE TOP NOTCH! This adds to the realism of Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood.
6)No major bugs in the controlling of your character or the game itself.
7)Frequent check points for auto-saving some may find this irritating.
8)There are many secrets that you can find along the way - some FPS gamers may need the strategy guide if you are hell bent on finding all of them.
9)Is the game worth shelling out $50+ on? My conclusion at the end was YES!
10) Did I mention the story line!!! Comical at times. Drama. Romance. Tons of action and adventure.

The one MAJOR and irritating flaw to this game is that you can't explore as much as you would like to. If you leave your brother alone for too long the game will timeout and you must start over again at the last checkpoint. However, there are certain cues given in the dialog on when you can explore with more time.

Some reviewers mentioned that the lip synching was off, however I only noticed this a few times and it did not distract from the game whatsoever - name one FPS where ALL of the lip synching is perfect in the entire game.

Personally, I am burned out on all the WWII based FPS and I don't care for the futuristic ones. Thus, I found this to be a refreshing entry in the the PS3 FPS genre and I am sure you will too.

I would also recommend Far Cry 2 if you have not bought this FPS yet? It got a bad rap at the beginning because of some game bugs, however an update has eliminated these issues and it was one of the best FPS I have ever played. You can really explore in Far Cry 2 - I highly recommend this FPS as well and for it's current price it is a bargain!
on July 13, 2009
This is one game I'm really glad I have in my collection of video games. If you like anything that has to do with the Old West, you'll love this game.

Let me tell you something. This has got one of the best looking video game engines I have ever seen for a PlayStation 3 video game. The game developer is called Techland and the video game engine they use to build this game is called the Chrome Engine 4. The outdoor scenes especially toward the middle of the game are just spectacular. I honestly went exploring around on some maps just to look at the scenery. Some of the maps are sandbox (Free Worlds) and these Free World maps are huge and you can go anywhere on these maps to explore. I love mounting a horse and just riding around looking at things. I live in Utah and the outdoor scenes in the Southwest United States in the game are just like they are in real life with the beautiful canyons and mountains scenes. The streams and rivers and waterfalls look like they have real water flowing through them.

Okay as far as the story goes to this game, I think the story line is pretty good. There are two main characters mentioned throughout the game that are brothers. The oldest brother is called Ray McCall and the younger brother is called Thomas McCall. What most reviews to this game fail to mention is that there is a third brother in the game who is the youngest brother. His name is William. He doesn't carry a gun since he is more like a preacher who preaches about God and carries the Bible around with him. He goes pretty much where ever the other two brothers go within the game. Now the game starts out with the two older McCall brothers, Ray and Thomas, fighting in Georgia for the Confederacy against the Union during the Civil War. The two oldest brothers end up deserting the Confederate Army to go and defend their home against Union Soldiers. William is with their mother trying to defend their home already. They end up losing their home and William decides to goes with Ray and Thomas out West to look for the "Lost Treasure of Cortez" that is located some where down in Mexico where they can regain their fortune.

Basically the game from there is all about going through Mexico and Arizona. You meet Mexican bandits, different Indian tribes, lawmen, outlaws, gunslingers, ex- confederate soldiers, civilians, etc. You help and fight different people throughout the game. You have a choice of different weapons to fight with. You can use different kind of revolvers and rifles to fight with. Usually at the end of each mission throughout the game, you end up fighting the main bad guy in an old fashion gunfight where you draw pistols at each other. When you end up killing the main bad guy in the gunfight, you advance further along in the game.

There is a lot of replay value in this game especially on the Free World maps. I understand that Techland is going to add more maps to the game later on. I hope that if Techland does add more maps to the game that they are all Free World maps. I love them kind of maps to ride around on a horse to explore. I highly recommend people to go out and buy the game to add to their collection of video games just so they'll have a Western game to play.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 1, 2009
If your a western fan you should probably check out this game, the story is good and the gameplay is smooth. I personally don't have a problem with the cover system as others have stated that they don't like it, but I will agree with one of the other reviews that the dynamites when thrown at you can be hard to find and dodge. The graphics are good most of the time but there a few glitches and the lip syncing can be off at times too, but these are minor complaints for a great fps. The only real problems is the enemy AI isn't great and the campaign is kinda short, but it's worth playing through twice to see both brothers set of missions. I've only played a little multiplayer and it looks great, there's 13 calsses to be unlocked by earning money and upgrades to buy, and a fair amount of maps and game types with the promise of downloadable content in the future. The only thing with multiplayer is that in the manuel it tells you what port they use and if you have a firewall up you'll have to open that port to be able to play online without getting kicked out.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 3, 2009
Since Western themed games come out once every blue moon, the wait better be worth it. This game IS worth the 2 yr wait. Terrific story and acting, top notch gameplay (never a problem knowing what to do or where to go),and user friendly controls for skill levels of all types make this my sleeper hit of 2009. Graphics are sharp as well. I highly recommend Call Of Juarez Bound in Blood, i just wish game developers would flood the market with westerns like they do with WWII shooters every 3 months. C'mon guys, the WWII genere is soooo outplayed. Do yourself a favor and play this game.
on July 7, 2009
I really enjoy this game. I purchased it today and I have played both the story mode and the multiplayer.. both of which are a lot of fun to play. I've always enjoyed Western games but, few of them have been impressive overall. Bound in Blood seems to have broken the mold!! I've been an avid Modern Warfare player for the last 2 years and I've decided to take a break from the game until Modern Warfare 2 comes out. Call of Juarez Bound in Blood will serve as a delightful distraction until that time comes. I recommend this game to anyone who is a FPS or a Western fan.. or better yet, both!
on March 21, 2010
This game has some very cool features to it, gun play is exciting, graphics are nice, only problem, Its unplayable?

Yes, the quick draw starting with the second Boss will end the game for most people. It simply doesn't work at all, worse there is no tutorial, instructions, nothing, plus add a minute of load time each time it doesn't work, for me it was 67 attempts, so that was also 67 minutes of loading each time I died, never came close to doing it. On one part , same guy, same thing, now does that sound like fun????

The retailer tried it out for me and got completely frustrated! Returned it defective..

Its broken so I cant recommend this game.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
For $19.99 this is not a bad bargan. It is a fun game and has nice graphics. I thought it was kind of short. I played mostly as Ray except for the missions you had to use Thomas. I am still new to playing first person games but this one is supprisingly good. The story was decent. Nothing ground breaking. However I do like the way they tied the Christian themes in with there other brother.

I dont want to ruin anything for anyone that hasnt played it yet so I wont give much detail. Overall I would give it a 4 out of 5 on graphics. 4 out of 5 on controlls and a 5 out of 5 on fun.
on January 9, 2011
When I first played this game I thought it was the best western game I had. Even though the graphics were a bit low even with blu-ray it still has the great suspense of a real western movie. It had the shooting, the guns, and especially the girls. The game is great!
Playing as the McCall Brothers has really great parts about it. (Please excuse. If you don't want to here spoilers, don't read this paragraph.) Thomas McCall Is agile. He is great with a rifle and is good on the lasso. There is something both brothers have. It is called Concentration Mode. Thomas McCall can kill multiple enemies with the fanning move. Fanning is when you have a single-action revolver and you hold down the trigger and pull the hammer many times(this is based on real facts). It is best you play him in long range missions. Ray McCall is strong. He is great with revolvers and corner-to-corner fighting.In Concentration Mode Ray can pick enemies and there body parts and shoot them. It is best you play him in short range missions.
The cutscenes are what really make the game special. Like I said, the graphics are a bit bad even on blu-ray but the cutscenes are still great. The cutscenes include drawings of the level and sometimes following a cutscene. At the end of a level another cutscene takes place. Overall the cutscenes are great.
The guns are what makes game play fun. The wide array of revolvers, rifles, shotguns, sniper rifles and other weapons are what makes the game fun. Revolvers and shotguns of all types (in the time period of course) dominate close range combat. Rifles and sniper rifles take down enemies in a nice and safe distance. You can pick them off one by one.Bows-and-arrows and throwing knives are great for stealth combat. Dynamite really hits the spot when you want to kill multiple people. Remember, guns are for killing bad guys not your brother (Ray or Thomas McCall).
Overall Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood is a great game. It has the suspense of a real western movie. It has great gameplay, of playing as either Ray or Thomas McCall.Genius! The guns are many and the cutscenes are great! I recommend buying this.
on June 12, 2010
I really enjoyed this game. Its much better than it appears to be. The single player is a blast and the MP is pretty awesome as well. It's much better than the highly overrated Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. I recomeend it to any fps fan
on October 31, 2009
If you played the first Call of Juarez, you will be hard-pressed to believe both these games were created on next generation consoles. The first had a real "last-gen" feel to it, graphically, and what I felt to be pretty horrible playability overall.

Not so with Bound in Blood. Red Dead Revolver was, in my mind, the best western game made thus far, and I think Bound in Blood now takes the title. (of course, RDR was PS2, so thats like comparing different model years for cars, but progress marches on nonetheless). Bound in Blood has pays strong homage to the Western genre, and like Western movies, a lot can go wrong, but they do it right. Bandits, deserts, multiple Indian tribes, authentic weaponry, FPS shooting and canoe/horseback/wagon play...coupled with a strong storyline and pretty decent voice acting, they really nailed it, making one the most enjoyable games I've played on the PS3.

Graphically, its high-def texturing and epic panoramas of the Wild West. From eerie ghost towns, vertigo-inducing mining areas, and one-horse hamlets straight out of Deadwood, they paint the picture in 1080p glory. I'm a details guy, and I extra appreciated the believability of the swirling mists, the small desert whirlwinds, and the shimmering heat effects from the desert valleys. They didnt have to do it, but it really adds depth. Heck, even when you click on pause, the game freezes in an old-west sepia-toned pic.

Music is strong, game mechanics are pretty solid overall, and reoccuring events like showdowns and kick-down-the-door shootouts with your brother are a lot of fun. Again, being able to play the game through twice with only small parallels was something added that didnt have to be there but I think adds tremendous replay value.

Frequently when your expectations are low, you arent dissapointed, and I went into Bound in Blood with low expectations, but had a great experience. If you like Westerns, this is a must-own, on your shelf beside your Blu-Ray copy of Outlaw Josie Wales and Tombstone. Red Dead Redemption comes out next year, and they are gonna have to hustle to top this (although knowing Rockstar, they will). Highly recommended.