5.0 out of 5 stars Everything is Here, March 6, 2004
Swing King (Cincinnati, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call Me By My True Names: The Collected Poems of Thich Nhat Hanh (Paperback)
As many of us may (or may not) be aware, Nhat Hanh is at once a renowned Buddhist monk, a poet, and activist for peace; especially peace sought after during war time. This particular book brings together a collection of 100+ poems he has written and orated over 40 years. Each one gives the reader a glimpse into the very heart of this real life bodhisattva. Call Me By My True Names is perhaps one of his most profound and important, for it penetrates one's dualistic mode of thinking to the point of acknowledging all nature is within my own nature. True understanding stems from realizing there is no other in a traditional sense. What there should only be is, "How can I help this world?" Call Me By My True Names is awe-inspiring, one of the most powerful texts on interconnection and being I've ever happened to read. And simple, so clear.
This book covers practically every aspect of a spiritual life in it's contents, and it is my wish you will buy it. It should be on all beings shelves, for it's prose is delivered deep from the heart of a modern bodhisattva.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plain & Powerful from Tich Nhat Hanh, June 7, 2000
His simple words reveal an ocean of truth of miseries, hopes, memories & dreams a normal citizen had, when Vietnam was bleeding.It also has all the good things that we have ever heard from elders or read somewhere. Simple yet powerful this collection is a close encounter with nature and life.

5.0 out of 5 stars The voice of Buddha, October 31, 2003
This book is something special. Call me by my true names is more than a collection of poems by some crusty old Zen guy. The author's clarity and enlightening style have cut through my muddy mind like a knife through butter. I sit here covered in Goosebumps because Thich Nhat Hahn's poetry resonates with the voice of Buddha.
Call me by my true names is nothing short of spectacular.

4.0 out of 5 stars Calm and clear dignity, September 20, 2006
David Alston (Chapel Hill, NC, USA) - See all my reviews
There are many wonderful introductions to the work, life and ideas of Thich Nhat Hanh, and this is both one of the more unexpected, and one of the finest.

CALL ME BY MY TRUE NAMES is a comprehensive collection of Thich Nhat Hanh's poetry, presented here with occasional brief comments from the author following many of the poems. I initially purchased this for the comparatively famous title piece, which is a work of extraordinary moral power, and also of extraordinary literary control.

From start to finish here, the writing is economical and plainspoken - but not 'plain': to draw feeble Western connections, this is a distant stylistic cousin to the likes of Dickens, or perhaps Steinbeck - rather than resort to gimmicks, or technical flash, Thich Nhat Hanh has the respect or confidence in his own voice (or the voices of characters) to allow that voice clear expression.

Thus, a collection of dignity and skill. The Vietnamese Zen ideals and ideas Thich Nhat Hanh has been developing, exploring and living for decades are expressed with precision and grace, and he doesn't have to ask for a readers' interest - this work sparkles with calm dignity and life.

-David Alston

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and peaceful, January 9, 2010
These poems are simple and beautiful in nature. Great poems to read first thing in the morning or before a meditation. I didn't find them to be unusually impressive, but knowing the type of life led by the man who wrote them gives them much more power. I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Matr of Mindfulness, May 21, 2014
This is a beautiful book of poetry to keep by your bedside for late reading. He is an unusual man and a great teacher

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, January 9, 2014
SST (Menomonie, WI United States) - See all my reviews
Thich Nhat Hanh is a great thinker, spiritualist, and poet. This book gives me comfort and insight ... deeply touching poetry

5.0 out of 5 stars More Than Poetry, January 3, 2014
This book touched me deeply. The first section, in the historical realm, was the most painful, as it contains many poems written by the author in wartime. As such, it is unflinching and uplifting at the same time. The second section, in the ultimate realm, has the breadth and depth of the entire universe. While the words may be simple, their meaning is multilayered and rich. Often, Thay comments on when the poems were written, under what conditions, what time in history, and sometimes, for whom. That part, to me, is a bonus, offering a glimpse into the way this master teacher goes about his practice of engaged Buddhism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, February 24, 2013
Stunningly original and creative poetry from one of the finest Buddhist teachers in the West. This book is a classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thich Nhat Hanh poerty, February 5, 2013
Amazing how an early life of living in a war zone has broadened the heart to recognize the interdependence of all life

Call Me By My True Names: The Collected Poems of Thich Nhat Hanh
Call Me By My True Names: The Collected Poems of Thich Nhat Hanh by Thich Nhat Hanh (Paperback - January 1, 1996)
$24.95 $18.71