5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on prayer, after the Bible
This is quite simply one of the best Christian books I have ever read, short of the Bible itself, and is one of the books I find that I keep coming back to time and time again, for new insight and for its continuing challenge and reminder to think about the way I pray.
Published on September 16, 2001 by Mr. Timothy Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars We are using this in a Men's Small Group meeting...
While I am a committed Wesleyan (theologically), this book is profound. Dr Carson isn't one of my favorite speakers, but his book(s) are very, very good.

I think he could simplify what he is saying and make it a lot "user-friendly" than it is. Sometimes we have to get out our Oxford Unabridged Dictionary to find out what he is saying. Such words as...
Published on March 10, 2009 by Phillip L. Hoover

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on prayer, after the Bible, September 16, 2001
Mr. Timothy Johnson (DICKSON, ACT Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Call to Spiritual Reformation: Priorities from Paul and His Prayers (Paperback)
In this book, Carson systematically works through all of Paul's prayers in the New Testament. For each one, he presents a careful exegesis - working carefully through the passage and explaining its meaning. He then goes on to show Paul's priorities in his prayer - which are inevitably caught up with Paul's focus on trusting God intimately and on his other-person centredness. Finally, for each prayer, Carson presents some background theology on surrounding issues and shows how this relates to our lives today.
In addition, Carson is extremely practical in the way he provides practical advice and pointers for the way we should be praying. He gives useful advice on what and how we should be praying, based on the passages he works through, but also on how to manage a daily prayer time.
If you are a Christian, you should definitely read this book, particularly if you are keen to think more about the way you should be praying or if you are looking for pointers on how to pray in a Biblical way. If you are not a Christian, this book will still give you a useful insight into what Christians are doing when they pray and why they do it. And you never know - you might even find it challenging and realise that there is something in this Christianity 'thing' after all...

4.0 out of 5 stars This book can change the way you pray!, August 17, 2001
I taught this book to a class of thirty on saturday mornings and we were riveted by its depth. So often books fall into the shallow "how to" trap. This book moves way beyond the popular craze of "The Prayer of Jabez", to challenge the believer to stretch their prayers to reflect the mind of Christ. Rather than praying about what we want, Carson shows us Paul's New Testament Prayers and leads us to ask for what God wants in our lives. You will be glad you studied this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn to Pray biblically - like Paul does!, November 13, 2000
This book changed my thinking on Prayer. Some people say that prayer is merely talking to God and anyone can do so. You don't need to learn how to pray - but just talk to God like a friend. This view is no doubt true in a sense. Yet, as we mature as Christians, we need to go beyond that and let our prayers be shaped by how biblical authors prayed! This is something that is missing in many Christian's lives and even as i start to notice how people pray, i see how so UNLIKE Paul many Christians pray!
Carson writes in the preface about, "...enthusiastic praying in some circles that overflows with emotional release but is utterly uncontrolled by any thoughtful reflection on the prayers of Scripture."
He said it all right! We need to pray more like how Paul prays. And this is a wonderful book that expounds Paul's prayer. A great resource to improve one's prayer contents and prayer life. As we reflect biblically on Paul's prayers, our prayers become more biblical and Paul's (as well as God's priorities) in prayer, becomes ours too! Now that is exciting and can do wonders to our prayer life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life altering, February 9, 2004
Most everything I can think to say has already been said in the other reviews. I just wanted to add my .02 as I have really enjoyed this book. It truly has been a life altering experience to read this. It has changed my view of prayer, of others, of God. I now have (at least I hope I have) a deeper respect for the Creator of all things.
Rom 11:36 For of him, and through him, and unto him, are all things. To him be the glory for ever. Amen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!!, June 22, 2001
By A Customer
This book is biblical, theological and passionate!! Dr. Carson analyzes the Paul's prayer and traces its cause. So the reader can learn the way Paul prays. The author does not stop here. He explores the applications for christians.
It is so nice that we have a book, written on a very solid Biblical foundation, provides a intelliectual way so that people can learn how to pray according to God's will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on prayer I have read!, November 2, 1999
Neal Stublen (Leawood, KS USA) - See all my reviews
This book is by far the best book on prayer that I have read. It doesn't seek to present a systematic view of prayer like many other books as much as present clear, helpful exposition of Paul's prayers. I found it very insightful and challenging to the way I typically pray.

4.0 out of 5 stars Prayer Primer, September 1, 2004
David C. Hoffner (Hebron, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This book is a selective primer on biblical praying, examining the prayers of Paul. Each chapter studies a particular prayer from his letters, exploring what Paul prays for and why. For example-in his analysis of 2 Thessalonians 1:3-12, Dr. Carson illustrates how Paul's anticipation of Jesus' return shapes what he prays for the people.

This book was inspirational to me in at least two ways: I find I am praying for people and needs in a more Christ-centered way. I have also grown in my understanding of what it means to pray to a sovereign God.

The reflection questions at the end of each chapter help to make this a very practical book. It would work well for individual or group study, taking one chapter at a time and steadily putting the new insights into practice. I heartily recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deepen your prayer life, February 5, 2000
Want to increase the effectiveness of your prayer life? Try praying for the things Paul prays. This marvelous book will shape the content of your prayer life. His treatment of God's sovereignty and the exercise of prayer is a must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars I STARTED READING AND AM CONTINUING TO FINISH IT!, October 27, 1999
By A Customer
I HAVE STARTED READING THIS TITLE SINCE I GOT IT LAST SUNDAY. I MAY HAVE TO RELEARN HOW TO PRAY LIKE PAUL. I APPRECIATE HOW WHEN PAUL GIVES THANKS FOR THE THESSALONIANS AND THE SIGN OF GRACE IN THEIR LIVES, IT EXPOSED WHAT HE REALLY TREASURED, GOD WORKING IN THEIR LIVES. I ADMIT THAT WHEN WE GIVE THANKS, WE GIVE THANKS FOR THINGS WE CAN APPRECIATE & BENEFIT FROM. IT IS REALLY A REVEALING PRAYER OF THANKS. THE THANKS WE GIVE EXPOSES OUR HEARTS DESIRES. MORE IMPORTANTLY, WE SHOULD WANT TO KNOW GOD IN THE DEPTHS OF HIS LOVE AND GRACE IN THE LIVES OF CHRISTIANS WHO GROW IN GRACE! I AM AT THE THIRD CHAPTER AND CANNOT PUT IT DOWN YET AND PRAY TO KNOW GOD MORE. MUCH TIME TO DIGEST CARSON'S INTENTS.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, Spiritual, Scriptural Advice on Prayer, September 19, 2003
Carson offers here an examination of various prayers of the Apostle Paul throughout the New Testament. In a scholarly yet straightforward manner, the author presents nuggets of truth that will enrich the prayer lives of his readers. While I appreciated his exposition of numerous New Testament passages, his most helpful remarks were practical instructions based on his own spiritual development. Chapter one, for example, offers many useful lessons from the school of prayer. Chapter four emphasizes the necessity of praying for others. Chapter seven examines common excuses for not praying.
This book is directed towards the more educated reader or the trained Christian leader. It is somewhat wordy in spots, and drags a bit in its pace. Still, Carson presents solid, spiritual, Scriptural advice that will strengthen the prayer life of each person who reads his work.

A Call to Spiritual Reformation: Priorities from Paul and His Prayers