Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Callebaut Chocolate Block Semisweet 53.8% cocoa 5 kilo / 11 lbs
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on March 7, 2015
I am a retired pastry chef and I have tasted all of the worlds best chocolates and by far this is my favorite. There is something about the Belgian chocolates that has a full round of smoothness without the bitter edge. I like it so much I buy this bittersweet chocolate in a 5 kg block, keeping it in its original package, and wrapping it in aluminum foil. I store it in the pantry where it is cool and dark. It will last upwards of a couple years. It is great for any and all chocolate work whether it is candymaking, frostings, ganache, cakes or even just to make the most wonderful hot chocolate you could imagine! By this and share with a friend, or get a smaller quantity, but get some!
on June 8, 2016
I like to purchase Callebaut both in cocoa powder and milk solid form for baking. I lived in Europe and have tasted chocolates from all over the world, and my personal preference is for Callebaut because it has a smooth round flavor without jarring notes. It's not too fruity or bitter. I always get it about this percentage (54.5) of milk chocolate because it can be used in everything, and tastes great right out of the bag. Now for my caution -- unless you are a professional, you may find the callets easier to use. I prefer them because they are in a chocolate chip shape and can be used in cookies, plus they don't have to be chopped and are easier to melt right out of the bag. However if you don't mind chopping a block -- this one is almost two inches thick, 9 inches wide and 17 inches long -- then this is at a cocoa solid percentage that makes it easy to chop at room temperature, and this is a better deal per lb of chocolate. I have ordered on Amazon from the vendor World Wide Chocolate several times now (sadly I go through about 5 lbs of chocolate in my 8 person home every other month), and they have always come in great condition and not melted. I would however make sure if you are ordering in summer months that you will be home on the day they are delivering as the freezer pack can get lukewarm if left on the porch for an hour on a hot day.
on January 11, 2013
I lived in Belgium for 2 years and became addicted to this chocolate (among others). I eat it almost exclusively but also bake with it and make mousse. It came to my house in perfect shape, was very well packaged and will last me at least a year. This is excellent chocolate.
on January 18, 2016
Alright so we've been using this for over a decade and it truly is amazing. If you have never used this chocolate for anything then I can guarantee you it will taste better if you replace your current chocolate with this one. The cocoa powder from them is also great for making brownies and other goods, you'll be surprised as to how much of a difference your finished product will taste.
on December 4, 2015
Absolutely Delicious. It's really semi-sweet - not bitter.

It needs a chocolate chipping tool, a heavy wooden mallet and a dedicated cutting board. A chocolate bar that needs serious tools raises chocolate eating to a new level. One bar can last two for a year, with emergency fill-ins from Mrs. See.
on February 13, 2014
Love this chocolate, this is my second one I bought the first one directly from the company. It's great for making big chunck chocolate chip cookies and strawberry dip chocolate or just for snack. Chocolater makes me feel good :)

Marietta
on January 17, 2014
Fabulous chocolate for cooking.....not the creamiest for eating, but still good. Gluten free for those who need to know.....and it makes an amazing chocolate no flour cake.
on June 25, 2014
I love this stuff. Locally it is more than $12 a pound so I love being able to buy it in bulk for a whole lot less. It also gives me something to practice my candy making with. Learn to temper this chocolate (seed method) and you will have GREAT dipping chocolate or candy making chocolate.
on September 7, 2013
I wanted to make candy so I bought a 5lb block of caramel and this block of semisweet chocolate. It arrived in a cold pack FedEx. Wonderful chocolate. Melt in your mouth smoothness. I had never purchased chocolate online but the seller worked with me to deliver the best chocolate to my door unmelted and not soft. It's September and it's high 90's in Wyoming but the bar was perfect. If you love chocolate this is a great way to go and the price is good and the seller is great.
on December 9, 2015
Excellent for making chocolates...dark but not too dark. For candy making you need to temper it by melting to 118 degrees, then stir and cool to 82 degrees, then reheat to working temperature of 88 degrees and it's ready to use. I make clusters by adding roasted almonds and toasted coconut. They're great!