5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring story of an American treasure!
This is an excellent book and should do very well.

Published on August 27, 2010 by RAF311

3.0 out of 5 stars Deja Vu
Same old, Same old. Didn't finish it as it it so much like all the other sports books..That's it. Gone
Published 8 months ago by Michael C. Ryan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring story of an American treasure!, August 27, 2010
This is an excellent book and should do very well.

As former President Jimmy Carter so eloquently wrote on the back of Called to Coach, Bobby Bowden is a true American treasure. Whether your a Florida State fan, college football fan, parent, coach, mentor or Christian, you will find a plethora of inspirational stories from the life story of Bobby Bowden. Coach Bowden was not only one of college football's greatest coaches, but he also was one of our countries greatest leaders. The most inspiring part of this book was reading the stories, testimonials and parables from the pregame speeches Bowden delivered to his teams.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who cares about faith, values, and teaching our children to live their lives the right way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving story of a coaching legend, August 27, 2010
Jonathan (Waycross, Gabon) - See all my reviews
Not being a Florida State fan, I was surprised that I enjoyed this book as much as I did. It's a moving story of not just an excellent football coach but an inspirational man. Bowden's story - well told by Schlabach - is a real Horatio Alger tale of a man who worked his way up the old fashioned way, through hard work, perseverance and his enduring faith.

This book is filled with behind-the-scenes stories from from Bowden's long and illustrious coaching career, including his time at West Virginia and coaching against his sons as well as Bowden's early life in Birmingham and as a fledgling coach and husband.

This is not just a book for football fans, but for anyone interested in truly inspirational leaders of our time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true legacy, September 1, 2010
Being a Miami fan, I can't help to envy FSU for having one of the Greatest coaches in college football. Great book. Very inspirational.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing story about more than football, August 29, 2010
I received this book as a birthday present from a friend at church last week. My first thought when receiving it was: Why in the world would I want to read a book about a football coach? I'm a grandmother and have never even watched a college football game. But my good friend heard Bobby Bowden speak recently at a Christian business leaders group near our hometown and was amazed by his wonderful stories. I read this book over the weekend and she was exactly right. Even if you're not a football fan, this book teaches us some very important lessons about morals, faith and living your life to help others. Bobby Bowden is such an inspiration. His lessons about allowing God to lead each our of lives were very inspirational. I would recommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Faith Will Bring Us Out of the Night, September 9, 2010
Bobby Bowden is a great roll model for old and young alike. In his book he tells of the high and low points of his life. Both should be viewed as examples of how one should approach life through faith.

His story will be of great help to children and grandchildren as they approach the adulthood of their lives. His account of the death of his grandson and son-in-law will give the reader help in dealing with life's tragic moments. He show us how to come Out of the Night.

Out Of The Night: The Spiritual Journey of Vietnam Vets

5.0 out of 5 stars I Loved This Book...And I'm a Gator!, October 18, 2013
As a diehard Florida Gators fan I grew up pulling against Bobby Bowden and the Florida State Seminoles. To me, the perfect weekend included a Florida win and a Florida State loss. I used to hear that Coach Bowden was a Christian. But to be quite honest, in my mind it was hard to accept that someone could be both a Christian and a Seminole. It seemed that the latter meant he was living in sin.

In all seriousness, it was always hard not to like Bobby Bowden. He was the epitome of class on the sidelines, and he graciously handled his termination from FSU (he has more wins than any other major college football coach, and he coached on a field that was named after him; how can you fire a living legend?).

A few years ago Georgia coach Mark Richt told me about his salvation; he confirmed the rumor that I had heard. A football player at FSU was murdered during a bye week, and Bowden took the opportunity to tell his players that they needed to be right with God because their moment could come any minute. Richt, who was an assistant at FSU at the time, went into Bowden's office and gave his heart to Christ.

Coach Bowden will be preaching for us here in January, so I read his book Called to Coach to see what he is really about. I have to say, even as a Gator, I am very impressed. Throughout his coaching career Bowden would have devotions with his team on the night before each game. Here is how he described them:

"I would talk to them about how to become a Christian and how you become saved. Some may say I didn't have the right to do it, but I would much rather be spiritually correct than politically correct."

He went on to say that if he were told to stop talking about Christ in front of his players then he would have gone "underground" and done it anyway. The book is not only an autobiography (complete with pre-game speeches and scores from his 5+-decade career), it is also a treatise about the faith of Bobby Bowden.

As the name of the book suggests, Bowden feels like God called him to coach, much as He calls others to preach or be missionaries. When Bowden was a boy, there was a time when he was sick and was presumed to be dying. He promised God that if He healed him, then he would serve God for the rest of his life.

And he has.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Condition, May 29, 2012
Everything arrived as promised in excellent condition. I bought this for my Dad and he said it is the best book about Bobby Bowden he has ever read. He would recommend it to any fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing Story, October 6, 2010
MJN7139 (Los angeles) - See all my reviews
This book is absolutely a fantastic read. I recommend it for anybody that loves a great story. It doesn't matter if you like or know who bobby Bowden is because all-in-all, it is just a fascinating look into the life and career of a great person and leader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Called To Coach: Reflections on Life, Faith, and Football, November 7, 2010
This is a great book. I bought it because Bowden is my idol. In this book, he opened me up to the Lord. He showed me that without faith, you are on you own. I would recommend this book to anyone whether they like football or not. GO NOLES!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Called to Coach, October 27, 2010
I have followed Bobby Bowden's coaching career since the late 70s, but
being from Alabama myself, it was interesting to learn about his early
years, in Birmingham. I learned he is the fine sincere gentleman, I
always thought he was.
GA

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Called to Coach: Reflections on Life, Faith and Football
Called to Coach: Reflections on Life, Faith and Football by Bobby Bowden (Paperback - August 9, 2011)
$15.99 $10.86