Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Calling in "The One": 7 Weeks to Attract the Love of Your Life
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 42 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on February 27, 2013
i found this book useful and was (thankfully) able to use it more to reorganize the detritus of my history than to discover it. i am 52 years old and have been aware of and working with the power of personal responsibility for over 30 years. for those who found "the secret" to be a revelation, or have had success with creative visualization, this book is a great next step. i used it over an 11 month period to see if my marriage of 20 years was still meeting my needs and would have been content with whatever outcome emerged, as what i wanted was a romantic life partner who was interested in what i was interested in. happily for me (and my husband and our kids), we (re)discovered and (re)cognized our suitability for and happiness with each other.
on September 5, 2012
This book has been an amazing find for me. I have been into self-help books, with my typical reaction being "wow" when I read them and then a few days later, I was back to being my original self. This book has been instrumental to help me become a better person, to heal from within, and to ask the right questions to find peace and contentment with myself. Finding my "one" will just be the cherry on top!
on December 1, 2013
I've read and listened to a lot of relationship advice. One thing I've learned is not to listen to relationship advice. This book is different in that it doesn't give you advice. You're not going to read about how to act and trick people, instead you're going to read about how to heal yourself.

I went through a lot of past hurts. I was married and divorced before I was 21 years old. I was left abused, nearly homeless, and a mountain of debt. I met a few men after that time, but it was really hard for me to be in a healthy relationship. I started reading this book and it made me think about where all this pain started. I was able to heal myself.

I did not find The One in 7 weeks, but I did meet The One when I stopped compromising myself and started having fun in my life. The tools in this book have helped me in other aspects of my life as well.

I didn't do every activity in this book and there a few things that I didn't agree with, but with anything take what you can. Do what resonates with you.

I did find out that the author is now divorced from her husband. I don't know what happened in her marriage, but one thing that people really need to understand is that relationships take a lot of work. Things don't just magically form together once you're with someone. There is still going to be growth and healing. We all can be with someone during happy times, but can you be with that person during unhappy times. When you can be with someone when they hit their low, then you are with the right person. There are going to be up and downs in a relationship. The relationships that are happy and last are the ones where people supported each other during times of crisis. That's something I learned outside of this book.
VINE VOICEon January 6, 2006
I am still in the process of using this book. What I like about Calling In The One is that every chapter has exercises that you can do and some of them seem really simple but can have a powerful effect on you. For example, one chapter has a meditation where you inhale and say something like, "I receive love," and when you exhale, you say, "I give love." I found this basic meditation to be very powerful and noticed instantly how my first response was to say "I give" on both the inhalation and the exhalation. This taught me about my relationship to the world and my own openess to receiving in general.

The exercises teach you awareness. I think too many times when we search for a romantic partner, we are consumed with what we don't want and we then expect what we DO want to magically appear. Well, unfortunately, life usually doesn't work that way. Instead, when we become aware of what we DO want and why and we become willing to release attachments to all the "don't wants" we've been holding onto, we can make progress. This book can give you skills to do that.

I will say that to get a real benefit from this book, you've got to do the exercises. It's one of those pratical kinds of books. You can read it and get a few "a-ha's" from it, but it will only just be an idea. Calling In The One requires a commitment to yourself and your future mate. Doing the exercises is part of that commitment. Kathleen says early on in the book: "The issues in our relationships are mirroring back to us our internal issues with ourselves...When you alter your relationship with yourself, your external world will alter accordingly." This quote is, for me, the essence of the entire book.

Inside the book are seven chapters each filled with seven lessons. You could say it's a lesson for each day to be done over the seven weeks. In the beginning you understand what love is then you start to let go of old attachments and people. You go back into your childhood to examine who you are and what your inner self needs to release. Then from that place of healing, you focus on envisioning your future relationship and opening up yourself to receiving. Once you are open to receiving and self-love, you create the space for your personal happiness whether or not you are in a relationship yet. Then, as you become more loving towards life and towards yourself, you become one with what you are seeking and learn to be part of a balanced relationship between two loving people.

You'll find a lot of things that you've heard before in this book, but the truth is that most of the ideas are ones that bear repeating. If we'd already learned all of these lessons, we wouldn't even pick up this book!
44 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2014
Worked for me too! I hadn't had a serious relationship in 5 years, then I purchased this book in the fall. By March, I had met my current partner. He's a fantastic person with all of the qualities I had been searching for. The book is a great avenue for self reflection. By taking the time to list out the qualities I possessed and the type of partner I could be then visualizing the type of partner that would complement me, it allowed me to recognize my partner when I met him and make better dating decisions overall.
on April 20, 2015
I learned a lot from reading this book, especially about valuing yourself, becoming your best self- and having a clearer understanding and vision about what you want in life.
Despite the deceptively cheesy title- this book is surprisingly chock full of wisdom. There are wonderful quotes from iconic writers, spiritual teachers and psychologists sprinkled throughout each chapter. As it says in the book, when you start implementing the ways of thinking in this book, things do start to happen- you might ,however, miss the mark the first time around (As it happened for me- 2 years ago but was blindsided shortly after-) so I will start reading the book over again and not get discouraged. I still had a lot more growing to do and self-love to realize, and perhaps did not read the book as thoroughly as suggested. Using this guidebook as a tool, it did help me call someone into my life (like it promises-) but definitely wasn't "the one" which is okay, it means you're on the right track, you just have some more work to do- I'm not going to give up and neither should you. I would suggest read it over and over again until things start to "click" for you, it may take longer for some (like me) than others. I do feel a book like this is a valuable guide (especially if you're someone who is "scattered" with so many projects and a million different things & ideas on your mind often!) this book will help you focus on how you need to develop and think in order to call in someone you would consider a kindred spirit, or "Soulmate". It is a tool- it doesn't have all the answers- but is very helpful if you can implement the philosophy, spirituality and focused guidance it offers. With any self-help book, it's up to the reader to implement the book as a tool on the journey.
on April 21, 2015
I didn't love her writing style, but the knowledge she imparts is enlightening and at times even profound. Great even if you are not looking for "the one"--it's simply a good read for implementing a happier, improved life.
on June 24, 2011
This is a very wise work, written by a woman who claims that she used the principles to call in her Beloved, just in time to have the child she was desperately wanting. She is a psychoanalyst and shares the knowledge of her profession as well as spiritual wisdom she has gleaned in her own personal journey.

Her basic premise is that to have the great love that she we all want and which she claims we all deserve, that we need to get ready for it. The book is about discovering the blocks that people have to accepting romantic love, which she believes date from early childhood. She also encourages people to envision what they want in a mate.

The book is well written, much in the style of Julia Cameron's Artist Way. Katherine gives practical exercises to do as well as theoretical advice. I read the book as part of her class of the same name and I did find that the exercises had an effect. Some of them require deep introspection which isn't for the lazy. I wouldn't expect everyone who reads the book and even who does the excercises to call in their One in seven weeks. No one I was aware of in our class managed that. But it seems that many people did reach a level of self awareness that they lacked before.

If you are truly ready to find a relationship and are willing to do the work, this book may be a good step towards that goal. I think it moved me forward on that path although it didn't quite deliver the guy to my front door yet. For that they have an advanced class.
on June 13, 2010
I am a 22 year old female who has never been in a relationship. Yes, you read that correctly. I finally got fed up with trying to make changes myself because nothing was working, so I turned to the self-help section at my local bookstore. I picked this one up and was intrigued by its interactivity and journaling, so I bought it. I read reviews on here and decided it was definitely worth a shot.

I am not 3 weeks into the program and certainly feel like it has been helpful. It's not so much about changing yourself to become better relationship material, but more about looking at yourself for who you truly are and becoming ok with that. I have discovered parts of myself that I am uncomfortable with but that I need to show to the world to truly be available to a man.

After the first two weeks, I probably would have given this 5 stars. However, I have been very dissatisfied with week 3, which focused on childhood and parenting. I honestly feel like I could have skipped all 7 of the lessons this week because they simply did not apply to me. I did not have any traumatic experiences in childhood--no abuse, no divorce, no deaths. I had great parents who took care of me and supported me. Simply put, childhood issues are not the reason why I am having relationship problems today, and it was not worth my time to read through 7 lessons trying to pull out something that doesn't exist.

So, that said, I would definitely recommend this book. However, I think you should look carefully at the lessons and remember that they will not all apply to you. Also, I have chosen to double the length of the program by first reading the lessons and doing the practice sections. Then, I am going to go back through each lesson and do the practice in action sections once I have gotten through enough discovery of myself. I am not comfortable enough yet to take all of the risks that she challenges you to, but think that it will be easier after I have completed 7 weeks of self-evaluation.

I am very skeptical of some of the results that she writes about in the book--seems way too good to be true. I also don't feel like I have any of the "easy" answers that she writes about--as I said, no abuse, no neglect, no horrible rejections, etc. so I think I have to look a lot deeper. I doubt that I will end up with a relationship immediately after completing the course, but I think it might help to put me on the right path.
on March 6, 2015
Love it. I stopped reading because I found a guy I fell in love with, however, he isn't "the one," will be picking back up very soon. It was nice to be in a wonderful loving relationship. I think this book is excellent. A must read for the single gal who isn't fully sure why. No 5 stars because it felt to self help for me, I get the point of the book, but we all aren't completely distraught and rUn dowN. Maybe I'm just a cynic.
review image