5.0 out of 5 stars this book will change your life
for sensitive folks trying to cope with strong emotional reactions, this book can provide the tools to take back control of our minds and emotional in order to lead a healthier and more productive life. definitely, absolutely recommend for anyone struggling with emotions due to a crisis or just a difficult situation.
Published 21 months ago by Rachael Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
good read
Published 3 months ago by WallyOne

5.0 out of 5 stars this book will change your life, January 16, 2013
This review is from: Calming the Emotional Storm: Using Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Manage Your Emotions and Balance Your Life (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars really for everyone, February 28, 2013
Reading to help a family member, I've discovered so much to improve my own life. Not just for those with emotional control issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars A DBT Walk-Through, June 26, 2013
As a beginner's guide to DBT, it is very well written and gets the basic points down in a gentle and understanding manner. The lessons and structure of DBT is absent; there is only the base idea beneath the situations. In short it is essentially a guidebook, and one well done.
I sent a friend a copy and have one of my own. I'm also in the process of undergoing DBT in a group setting, and although I can't flip to a corresponding page to what we're doing, I can happily sit down with this book over a weekend and come away from it understanding the concepts and applications well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-changing, March 26, 2013
For someone who has struggled with depression and grief since childhood, this book helps to refocus attention on the here and now and letting go of the pain of the past. It is a process that continues a lifetime, but there is hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful for Many Clients/Patients, June 2, 2013
I have been looking for a book of this sort to give to my more capable clients and so far this is the best I have found.

There are alternatives around, some better than others. Some are fine if I can encourage a client to keep working at them & perservere through the dullness. Some, old and new, just aren't client & also therapist friendly - after all, we are all people. My big dislike is ones that come across as muddled or overly abstract & written from an ivory tower of erudition and/or inconsideration of the needs of the reader - and so they are not readily accessible or palatable. Most clients aren't up to this and, though I am a therapist, I find them cumbersome to process. The best teachers explain clearly.

This book I like a lot. I think it would be imporoved if it followed along the lines of Burns's "Feeling Good Handbook", with "Calming the Emotional Storm's" already excellent explanations incorporating judiciously selected exercises and without going to larger book dimensions, especially not the current vogue for A4 type size. That would add to its bulk & cost of course, but it would also make it more helpful & take weight off the therapst. I also think the layout needs tweaking somewhat to make it easier to process visually. Nevertheless, I recommend this book highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY HELPFUL and PRACTICAL!, March 25, 2014
I Very much liked this Book as it has helped my clients who struggle with distress tolerance, emotional regulation and anger managment. Thank you Sheri Van Dijk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, December 4, 2013
A lot of repetition but helps drill it into your brain so you can find a place to start to get a handle on over-reactive emotions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely helpful, March 29, 2014
Dawn Davis (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
I was diagnosed with BPD 25 years ago and I constantly read up on it to increase my ability to use my DBT skills. This book is pretty wonderful. This has been the best read on bpd and DBT skills I have read in a long time. This would be a good started book for someone recently diagnosed. It covers the effect of bpd on the brain and gives a detailed description of each individual symptoms. It's well written and extremely helpfull. I've recommended this book to my acquaintances and friends with bpd. Definitely worth the buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars One to re-read over and over, April 19, 2014
I was sad when I finished reading it and immediately started reading it again. Sheri's style of writing made it easy to understand and absorb. Her information is a lifestyle change so I'm reading it again to grasp more clearly the concepts. I'm also a counsel. Reading has given me basic information to easily give to my clients. I've also recommended it to my staff.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Feel Great!!!!, July 29, 2013
I am a caregiver 24/7 and have been for 22 years. The Doctors wanted to put me on medication for stress and emotional exhaustion. I must remain alert so that I can maintain my own household! I am working through the book and will continue to use it as a reference.