6,627 Reviews
 (5,442)

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME app!!
Published 9 months ago by Kate Lance

1.0 out of 5 stars Read the License Agreement -- Requires Giving Away Too Much
I always read license agreements. Language is pretty typical, but this app really stood out as very ... greedy.

Published 8 months ago by M. Stanley Bubien

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME app!!, January 19, 2014
This review is from: Calorie Counter and Diet Tracker by MyFitnessPal (App)
I have tried dieting before, which has worked but for me has always only been temporary weight loss. The great thing about this app is it is SO easy to use, which at first was the biggest reason why I didn't want to calorie count. I have been using this app for about three weeks, along with this supplement that a friend of mine has been taking. I can say that so far, its really been working for me. 9lbs down is nothing to scoff at.

I think that because I can see the stupid little things that actually have a lot more calories than you would think, I am eating a lot less now. Some stuff that normal people eat every day are just NOT worth it for the amount of calories in it, you will end up being happier eating something else, that is much much less calories.

MFP is really personalized and the barcode scanner is THE BEST, so when you dont have to type every little thing into your phone or your computer when you eat it. Now calorie counting is SO easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mynewbestfriend..., May 16, 2012
Andrew Ellington (I'm kind of everywhere) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Calorie Counter and Diet Tracker by MyFitnessPal (App)
I hate dieting. I've done it on occasion throughout the past ten years and I've had varying results, but nothing that stuck. The idea of cutting out foods that I love, especially carbs, is something that terrifies me, and so those crash diets where we strip out those lovely breads and pastas trim me down, but the second I'm off of it I'm downing plates of spaghetti and gaining weight faster than I lost it.

With an upcoming trip to Europe planned, I knew that I needed to get into better shape.

Instead of jumping on board with another crash diet, I decided to lose the weight right this time. A friend of mine suggested this app for my phone and I must say, I was skeptical. I have never `counted calories' and I just didn't think it was possible for me to eat enough on something like this.

I am in love with this thing.

Setup was easy, yet essential. Plugging in my weight, sex, age, activity level and goal weight helped set me up with a calorie intake that was best for me. As I kept track of what I was eating, this app helped me to look at food differently. It opened my eyes to the way I was eating previously. It's funny, because you tend to think that you are eating healthy but when you see that ONE meal consists of three-quarters of your daily intake, well...you realize you aren't eating as healthy as you think you are. Sure, it was an adjustment, but as you get to know the average calories in certain foods, it becomes easier to adapt. In five months I've dropped 45 pounds and I feel in better shape than I ever have. The best part is, I can work with these restraints. I still eat carbs (actually, I eat lots of them) and I still have the occasional sweet (I have trimmed those back a lot). I'm not hurting. With a way to track your exercise (and thus add additional calories to your daily intake), this app is well-rounded and highly effective.

This is less a diet and more a way of life; a new way of looking at food.

I recommend this to all of my friends, and quite a few have already loaded it up and have started dropping pounds thanks to its easy use. With an extensive list of foods already logged into the database, and the use of the barcode scanner, calorie counting is ridiculously easy. Besides, after a few months you'll be able to count your own calories. I can't recommend this enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love, love love this app, September 18, 2011
This review is from: Calorie Counter and Diet Tracker by MyFitnessPal (App)
This app has helped me where I've failed so often before. It makes it so easy to track what you are eating. I am then sometimes surprised at what I've thought was healthy in the past, finding it those things really high in calories. Good Luck. This is a great tool to success!

5.0 out of 5 stars best food journal app i've come across!, September 15, 2011
This review is from: Calorie Counter and Diet Tracker by MyFitnessPal (App)
love this app. Has really help me track my food intake. i can download reports to send to my nutritionist for her to review between appts. great that mobile autosyncs w website n viceversa. must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars great app to keep you on track, February 3, 2013
This review is from: Calorie Counter and Diet Tracker by MyFitnessPal (App)
This app is easy to use and helps keep calories at bay. I particularly like that it syncs to all your devices, so I got it running on the kindle and 2 phones, plus a web version when I am planning a meal. Bar cod scan feature is great for snacks. Amazed that it is free!

Tip: don't just use it to track, use it to plan. Put your meal in before you eat it, that may encourage you to skip a slice of cheese or an extra cookie if you know the count beforehand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Program!, March 23, 2011
This review is from: Calorie Counter and Diet Tracker by MyFitnessPal (App)
I began using this app several weeks ago at the recommendation of several friends who had nothing but positive things to say about the program. I can see why they, and so many other people, like this program! After less than a month, I am already noticing results.

The program is incredibly intuitive to use. Registration is very easy, and can be done through the program itself (without being re-directed through the phone's browser). Once registered, you can also access your calorie/exercise log through the company's website. This is far more convenient than relying on a traditional food diary.

The program calculates your caloric need based on your height, weight, gender, lifestyle (active, sedentary, etc), and weight loss goals. This really customizes the program to help you achieve your individual goals, as opposed to going off of some generic information on caloric intake you find elsewhere.

MyFitnessPal's integration of the phone's camera as a barcode scanner really makes calorie-counting no excuse! If of course you can't find an item through the barcode scanner, you can select from their extensive food/beverage databse. If you stick to the caloric guidelines, there is no reason why you can't lose weight with this program!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not without flaws, February 7, 2012
Adriana V. (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Calorie Counter and Diet Tracker by MyFitnessPal (App)
This is a pretty good app for anyone looking to lose weight. There is a fairly comprehensive database of foods, and for the most part, I have not had trouble logging my meals. There are certainly times when the calorie estimate may be somewhat questionable, as a lot of the entered recipes are user entries. The "Nutrients" section is also somewhat questionable, as it seems to place the emphasis on using the 30-30-40 method for caloric intake, spread over protein, fat, and carbohydrates. For someone like myself who is trying to avoid refined sugars and many empty carb calories, it continually tells me I have eaten too much protein. It also sets the bar for "sugars" so low that you will blow your sugar budget on an apple and some mixed berries! Mostly, as a result, I ignore the Nutrients section.

The calorie counting is pretty good, but flawed. All in all, however, I found that logging all of my food greatly helped me become aware of how much I was eating, and how much of it was easily replaced. This is not an app for the faint of heart - if you are too scared to honestly log all your food, you won't maximize the weight loss potential of the app. It is beneficial, however, that you can add recipes of commonly used foods (for me, I added in a bunch of smoothies so I don't have to log the foods individually). It makes using the app slightly cumbersome in the beginning, but it is absolutely a breeze after the first week.

One large nit, however, is that it counts whatever you burn off as exercise as "calories" left on your plate. Anyone who has ever cared about fitness knows you do not need to eat ALL of the calories you burned through exercise. Half the point of exercise is adding to your calorie burn! It also does not count any calories as "burned" from strength training, even though lifting weights burns calories.

All in all, this is a good app for anyone starting out who wants a realistic picture of how to go about losing weight. For athletes, or anyone looking to get truly fit, you will find this app frustrating as it logs only weight, not taking into account that muscle weighs more than fat, or how much you should really be eating to keep those muscles happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing app., December 13, 2012
This review is from: Calorie Counter and Diet Tracker by MyFitnessPal (App)
Simply amazing. My wife and her co-workers wanted to start group dieting, and be diet buddies. Well like many husbands I tried to be supportive, and joined in. I love how simple it is. It doesn't matter how much you weigh currently, or what your goal weight is. I set what I thought was a reasonable goal at 10#s. Well with its easy system I found I lost that first 10lbs, and was heading for 20. Love it on the smart phone to scan barcodes in. No typing a bunch of stuff. Going out to eat, just about every restaurants menu is in there. The very few places where it was not in there, a similar item was in the library. It also keeps track on exercise, water intake, and vitamins. We now will look up menu items before we order, so we can make the best choices. Also works great on the kindle Fire.

1.0 out of 5 stars Read the License Agreement -- Requires Giving Away Too Much, January 30, 2014
This review is from: Calorie Counter and Diet Tracker by MyFitnessPal (App)

You give up so many rights, it's hard to call this app free. The short form: you give rights to EVERYTHING you do on the app/site, including articles and posts, and the company can re-sell/re-print anything *forever* without paying you. May even include name, address, phone!

- Anonymized Data? I did not see any mention of anonymizing data. This is especially problematic given...

- Legal Collection AND Distribution of all Data. Look, none of us naiive here. I'm sure we all expect our data to be culled, analyzed and sold. However, IF the company does not anonymize, they can sell your name, address, phone and other info with the data. A telemarketer's dream! Even if they DO anonymize, *my reading* of the license brought me to conclude that they still have the right to sell your name.address,phone,etc. to third parties. (This is why the subject is "Read the License Agreement"!)

- Legal Collection AND Distribution of Anything! Pictures, blogs, posts, articles, stories, age, weight, etc. If you turn one of your posts into an article that you're payed for, these guys can reprint it anywhere, any time, without paying you ever... and put your picture on it!

This is asking way too much for an app that has many, many competitors with far less rights-taking licenses. I am looking elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars highly recomend, December 20, 2011
This review is from: Calorie Counter and Diet Tracker by MyFitnessPal (App)
i use this ap primarily as a food journal for weight loss...i make most dinners from scratch and this ap has a recipie feature where u can input and get an aprox caloire count. u can scan prepackaged foods and it even has a place to enter excersise. u can use it interchangably with the computer...all goes into the same daily log. i honestly couldnt ask for more and i cant believe its totally free! its on the home page on my fone so i dont forget....