5.0 out of 5 stars First Rate Aide for Counting Carbs for Diabetes Health!
A couple years ago, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. This means we have to count carbs. The hospital recommended The CalorieKing book for counting carbs, and it really is a great book. The original book is a small paperback size, with print to match. It's OK with my reading glasses, but I was overjoyed to find that they publish a larger print edition, also...
Published 10 months ago by Happy Reader

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless
I specifically checked the online version of Calorie King before buying. The online version provides calories, protein, fat, and carbs. The ebook only provides fats and carbs. Totally useless. Will be deleting and cautious about any ebook in the future. Wish I could give 0 stars
Published 5 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars First Rate Aide for Counting Carbs for Diabetes Health!, November 14, 2013

This is a review of the 2014 Larger Print Edition. The Larger Print Edition isn't the LARGE print that you see in a large-print novel. But it is LARGER print, and I really appreciate it. The size of the larger print book itself is a little bigger than the regular CalorieKing edition, but it's still paperback book size. Easy to store in a purse or glove compartment or backpack.
size regular print 6 7/8 " x 4 1/4 "
size Larger Print 7 1/4 " x 5 1/4 "
Both books are the same thickness, a shade over 1/2"

CalorieKing deserves it's reputation for thoroughness. The main reason you'd need updated editions of it is if you eat out a lot. It can be very difficult to estimate carbs in restaurant food. Each year's updated menus of the larger restaurant chains are welcome. But as far as grocery food, the apple and broccoli carb counts won't change from year to year, and packaged groceries will always have a label telling, among other things, how many carbs per serving.

To give you an example of what a lifesaver CalorieKing is, I took a trip last year with my son, traveling by air. It was fantastic to just look in this book and total the carbs as he ordered a meal from Arby's in the airport food court. It couldn't have made it easier!

Though we use this book for carb counting, for each item you are given three values: the total calories, the total grams of fat, and the total grams of carbohydrates. Examples:
.........................................................Calories.....Fat......Carbs
Arby's:
Chicken -
Chicken Bacon & Swiss: Crispy............600.........27.......55
.....Roasted............................................470.........19.......43
Chicken Filet: Crispy..............................530.........25.......52
.....Roast................................................400.........16.......40

Banana (weight with skin):
1 small (6", 4 per lb), 4 oz........................90..........0.........23
1 medium (7",3 per lb), 5 oz..................105..........0.........27
1 large (8"), 7 oz...................................120..........0.........30
1 extra large (9"), 9 oz...........................135..........0.........35
without skin, 1 oz.....................................25..........0..........6

What I've done with bananas, is kind of average all these counts, to make it easier. Now we measure the banana and figure 3.8 carbs (grams) per inch. Pears come out to about 3.5 carbs per oz. Apples to 3.2 per oz. And to measure the food in ounces or grams I can highly recommend the reasonably priced, easy-to-use, great little scale made by EatSmart: EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale, White

For different size portions, you extrapolate. The book states that a 7 oz pear is 25 carbs. If your pear is 11 oz, then its carb calculation:

11 oz divided by 7 oz = 1.57 (the 11 oz pear is 0.57 larger than (or 157% of) the 7 oz pear)

1.57 x 25 carbs for a 7 oz pear = 39 carbs for the 11 oz pear

The calculations, until you get to the point where you can eyeball sizes for an estimate, can be tiresome, but that's how it goes. To have this marvelous book to give basic carb counts is invaluable.

Very handy book. I bought one copy for each glove compartment, one for each grandparent house, one for the house, one for my purse, and one for travel! I have been updating my edition each year, just because we do eat out and get take-out. It's great to pick up some fried rice at Panda Express, and be able to just look up the carbs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended by our doctor..., October 15, 2013
This review is from: The CalorieKing Calorie, Fat & Carbohydrate Counter 2014: Pocket-Size Edition (Paperback)
The CalorieKing Counter was recommended by our doctor as a quick reference guide for tracking calories, fats and carbohydrates. The first 22 pages are filled with information on weight control, BMI, portion control, reducing sugar, exercise, keeping a food journal and a diabetes guide. There is also a section on cholesterol, fiber, protein, salt/sodium and alcohol.

With a listing of over 200 fast food chains, you should be able to track anything you eat away from home but be prepared to be shocked by the numbers. We don't normally eat fast food but on occasion have gone to the "5 Guys" burger place and it was quite an eye opener as to the calories, fats and carbohydrates consumed in one small burger. An e-book is available for your Kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars The CalorieKing Calorie, Fat & Carb counter 2014, September 30, 2013
If you are watching what you eat (and when), this book is really nice to carry with you. It's informative and easy to use, and has a really good restaurant section. Helps to keep you on track.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless, March 26, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars CalorieKing Calorie, Fat & Carbohydrate counter 2013, October 25, 2013
Love this pocket-sized reference. As a registered dietitian, I recommend this is a great tool for anyone but especially for those who are trying to manage their weight, diabetes, and many other chronic conditions! It is a great tool to help make better food choices.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really helps!!!, January 9, 2014
This little book has helped me through the years to lose weight. This last time I lost 15 pounds within a month and a half just by watching carbs, calories & fat! You would not BELIEVE what some of restaurants have in the menu, makes you think twice about eating out!!!! A MUST for any trying to lose weight, eat better or just trying to figure out how it all goes together!

4.0 out of 5 stars carb counting easy,, January 9, 2014
helps me very much with carb counts. my Dr. recommended, very easy to put on kindle. I have told many about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, October 3, 2013
I am so happy we purchased this informative and great book- Lighting fast shipping. It is a good tool book to have when eating out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful tool, but some of the information seems to be incorrect, April 25, 2014
Lisa (Kokomo, IN, United States) - See all my reviews
As a diabetic, I use this to help count carbs when I go out to eat, but I recently noticed that the nutritional information that Fazoli's had listed on their website was quite different than what was in the book for some of their items. I'm glad that I went looking for the carbs of something that wasn't in the book, otherwise I would have given myself too much insulin.

5.0 out of 5 stars For my Diabetes diet, January 13, 2014
This book is the greatest as it has allowed me to actually see what is inside of the foods I eat. What to avoid & what to go after for better nutrition and my health.

The CalorieKing Calorie, Fat & Carbohydrate Counter 2014: Pocket-Size Edition