Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Calories burned during Kundalini Yoga

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 21, 2008 2:25:24 PM PDT
M. MENZI says:
I have just read that Kundalini Yoga burns about 400-600 calories per hour. The article said it is equivalent toa vigorous Power Yoga session! This could explain my noticable weight loss. I knew I was not imagining it! Has anyone else experienced this? I am wondering if I had low metabolism and the yoga is helping to reset it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2008 1:07:12 AM PDT
Kate says:
Hi, I love your reviews of the Raviana DVDs, so happy and inspiring! I was wondering if you could post a link to this article? Sounds really interesting!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2008 8:33:41 PM PDT
Emily says:
Amazing information. I am a Kundalini practitioner and was well aware that this practice can be a lot faster paced and strenuous than other forms of yoga. Probably the only form that actually can give you a cardio workout. I did not know however that it burned that amount of calories per hour. Wow!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008 1:10:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2008 1:13:08 PM PDT
T. Fenner says:
I think it is more than calories burned that makes yoga effective. It creates a balance in the body as well as making you feel so good about yourself you feel like making good choices. It personally really helped lessen my extreme sugar cravings.

That being said, after years of different workouts from Floorbarre to pumping iron to taebo, I needed to change my workout routine. I had tried yoga years ago and took it up again. While I loved all the yoga I have tried (Power, vinyasa, etc) I did not feel I was maintaining my ideal weight or getting the cardio training I needed enough to make it my main workout.

Then I began Kundalini Yoga with Ana and Ravi. Who knows the science behind it ( plan to write to Ana & Ravi and ask them), but my fat-burning as well as endurance and muscle tone seems to be very much in a good place again. I have worn my heart monitor during their Fat Free Workout and my heart rate goes up and down quite a bit so I think it works like interval training. I still do the occasional other workout, as well as taking up walking, but I am mostly enjoying Ana and Ravi and maintaining my ideal weight and smiling a lot more these days!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2008 2:24:50 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 13, 2008 2:25:21 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2009 5:21:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2009 1:01:08 AM PST
a customer says:
When I personally read the article from a reputable source, I will believe it. I'm not saying it's not true, but I've been taught, not to believe everything you hear and read, unless there is fact backing it up!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2009 12:07:13 AM PST
SusyQ says:
Well i know the results i am getting and I have never seen more positive reviews for every single dvd ana and ravi hadve released. Their dvds have changed my life immensely. I was 20 lbs overweight, going through extremely difficult losses and health issues and their tapes saved me as far as im concerned. The breathing excercises, breath of fire especially has transformed the way i breath..the meditation is something i crave everyday for the peace of mind it gives me..i have longer leaner stronger muscle tone than i have ever had in purchasing almost every pilates/cardio etc dvd out there..im quite the dvd addict and i love having so many options but ana and ravi have a unique, beautiful spirit that is incorporated into every dvd they release..I am purchasing the new releases and cat wait..these tapes are unlike any kind of yoga i have experienced and i have learned so much from them and feel 15 yrs younger by my regular rotation of their inspiring work in the dvds..these dvds will always be a part of my life...there is something truly special about the yoga and the wonderful couple who has been so gracious to share it with the world

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2009 1:05:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2009 9:37:36 AM PST
a customer says:
I have it (dvd, actually 4 of their dvds), I will put it to the test,I know someone who is 50 lbs. overweight, that will do it with me, I will report back in 30-40 days. I also, know several people with thyroid problems, I'll see if we can get together and test it all out.

This is proof positive and no doctor, educator, or fitness instructor, or anyone with knowledge of fitness, will disagree. You can exercise all you want, without changing your meals to healthy low fat meals, it won't do much good. Healthy Nutrition is the #1 key to weight loss. Period.

There is just something to these reviews and dvds, that everytime someone post something, even half way disagreeing, people seem to pop out of the woodwork and feel the need to defend, I've even read if someone didn't like the dvd, that person was attacked and put down. This makes me very skeptical. Others, have posted if they leave anything less than positive reviews for Ana Brett or Ravi Singh, their reviews seem to disappear. Every article I have read on Yoga including Kundalini, cannot cause anyone to lose MAJOR weight, maybe because this is different with the major breath of fire, it can. I cannot rule out that it doesn't, either though.

I know it made me sweat the first 10 minutes, but sweating with any exercise will help you lose weight and release toxins from your body!

Until, I see it with my own eyes, or read a reputable article, not someone's personal website, then I'll believe it. I cannot and will not, after reading others being attacked or put down, or reviews being deleted, because of these reviews, cannot or won't, put any reputable stock or confidence in these reviews on Amazon.
I can tell you the breath of fire, will help relieve constipational problems. Other than that, I know my chest ached/pain, not sore, but literally hurt the next day, from the first time I used it and I didn't get through the entire dvd??? I put it away, because it made me nauseated, dizzy, and my chest was in pain the next day, not sore, it was like someone had punched or stomped on me. I also, had an empty stomach, sooooooo.... I did do research, trying to find the cause of this, I came up with several reasons, since I had an empty stomach, this didn't apply, I came up with the toxins being released from my body, who knows.

After reading how some get put down, because of their unfavorable reviews, it makes me not ever want to buy another Brett/Singh dvd, and I want to get rid of the ones I have. I don't need any dvd, to see the toxin coming out of the people who seem to attack others.
They are really nice dvd's that are different, joyful, and great for the body, and because of people's personal attacks and pushiness, it makes the dvd's seem so ugly and not so nice.

Oh and the breath of fire alone, will increase your lung strength and abdominals!
I haven't given a review, because I have yet to do the whole thing. The music is beautiful and Ravi's voice alone is niceeeeeeee.
I am on Yoga Beauty Body right now. It's tough.

Posted on Jun 3, 2009 3:14:26 PM PDT
Khezla Durr says:
So, how is the experiment going with calories burned and the heart rate monitor??? Follow up?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2009 2:08:05 AM PST
SusyQ says:
I dont think you have to point out several times that a couple people had negative reviews deleted..point taken. It is not right and i was actually surprised that would happen. I do think it is rather overdramatic of you to say because of a couple of reviews being deleted you want to throw away all of your Ana and Ravi dvd's. The positive reviews on many of their dvd's far outweigh the negative reviews so i think it is rather harsh to make it out like Ana and Ravi dvd's are not valuable..they DO work well for many people and many people love these dvd's. Not everyone has the same experience but I don't think the positive reviews are misleading and I know for a fact from owning almost all of the dvd's that they are fantastic, in my opinion.

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 11:20:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2010 11:23:04 PM PST
After reading all the previous comments I feel that I should give my testimony regarding Anna and Ravi's dvds. First of all I like their dvds, without being over enthusiastic I found couple of good things about their workout. 1.) it does help to lose weight and 2.) it does control my sugar cravings. However these excercises works best if you follow a sensible diet. Therefore I will continue to use their dvds, although I should mention that people from my country (india) have been practising yoga for 5000 years, and Anna and Ravi are teaching the same principal.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2014 2:17:11 PM PDT
I was curious if you ever did the 30-40 day test with this DVD?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Aug 21, 2008
Latest post:  Sep 9, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kundalini Yoga for Beginners & Beyond
Kundalini Yoga for Beginners & Beyond by Ana Brett & Ravi Singh (DVD - 2005)
4.4 out of 5 stars (438)