Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

on February 27, 2012
We've had these for 2 months. I waited this long to review them because I wanted to see if they would rust. I typically put the knives in the dishwasher, though I'm careful that the blades aren't rubbing against something else. The steak knives do sometimes come out of the dishwasher showing spots of rust that you can wipe off with a towel, but the kitchen knives do not. Stainless steel will do that, especially the cheap stuff. It isn't really rust, in the sense that it will eat through the knife. It's more like a stain. The two types of knives are made with different steel. The kitchen knives are German steel, shipped to China for forging. The steak knives are Chinese steel, stamped in China. I suppose China can make good steel, but this particular steel isn't as good as the German stuff. Having said that, the steak knives are very nice. They are partly serrated and partly straight blade, and cut through meat, cheese and veggies on your plate very well. The stamped steak knives are a hollow grind, but the kitchen knives are a convex grind, which are easier to keep sharp and have less drag when cutting through something thick, like when skinning a melon. Our last set of knives lasted us 20 years, but they were all stamped hollow grinds, which aren't as durable a grind, and don't take honing as easy as these do. An interesting comparison between our old, but trusty knives was how they sound. When you tap them on something, these Calphalon kitchen knives sound like a sword ringing against something, while the old knives and the Calphalon steak knives make a thud. No idea what that means, but it's intriguing.

The Calphalon knives do take honing well. They seem to require different angles against the honing tool, depending on the knife, though. Once you learn what they like, you can keep them sharp very easily. I've taken to strapping them against some old jeans material after honing, which gets them even sharper. They stay sharp as well as I expect. I've never been impressed with any knife's ability to stay sharp. They all seem to stay decently sharp, but need frequent honing to stay at peak sharpness. At least these don't get nicks in the blade if you accidentally hit something with them.

Another reviewer mentioned that they are too thick. This is true of the big chef's knife, which has a large, thick blade that tapers to a very fine edge. This might be good for heavy duty cutting, but I like the thinner santoku knife much better than the chef's knife, which I hardly ever use. That chef's knife feels like something with which to hack through the jungle. I really miss having a long, thin boning knife to skin things, like melons. The parer and utility knives are not thin and flexible, but that's pretty normal for these types of knives. They do good for slicing and dicing, but not skinning stuff. The bread knife works great for me, though. The slicer is great for carving sturdy stuff up, like a brisket.

Fortunately, the block comes with two extra slots. One large one, and one small one. I'm looking for a boning knife to fill the vacant small slot, and find it strange that Calphalon doesn't sell one that matches this set. I don't know what kind of knife I'd want for the vacant large slot, as I'm happy with the slicer, bread and santoku knives, and don't feel the need for another big knife. I'll keep the heavy duty chef's knife for safaris, Halloween, or sword fighting.

The shears are nice, and cut through stuff that your regular scissors have a hard time denting, like tough plastic packaging. Finally, the block looks nice and has a better finish than some other blocks out there. Like all finishes, the finish will scratch, so be careful when you slide knives into it, especially the scissors, which can easily scratch the visible front part of the block if you aren't careful. Rub some walnuts on scratchs to help cover them up. It's a decent color match.

I bought these on sale at Macy's for $50 less than Amazon, BTW.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2013
The steak knives aren't made of German steel and are less a lot. However, the knives that ARE made of the forged German steel are amazing and almost worth dealing with the steak knives inferiority. If you are looking for a quality knife set I would spent a bit more money and make sure all the knives are high quality.
on January 8, 2014
Never put these knives in the dishwasher - they will not be guaranteed by Calphalon for any reason whatsoever if they have been in the dishwasher, and believe me, they know if they have or haven't been in the dishwasher. There's a reason the mfgr. states do not put in the dishwasher. I, too, would love for Calphalon Contemporary to produce a boning knife.
on April 16, 2012
It appears that people struggle to take care of their knives.

I work with knives regularly and know that people care for their knives differently. While knives say that they can be put into the dishwasher they never should be in order to care for them appropriately. Knives can also get spots if they are exposed to acids without being cleaned. If knives do have spots that appear rusty they are typically cleaned easily with barkeepers friend or bon amie. They are mild abrasives and will not harm the metals.

These knives are lifetime warranty and are forged steel. They should outlive you. Just learn hot to care for them appropriately and you'll be okay.
on October 9, 2015
I've had these knives in my kitchen for over four years now. The steel holds an edge extremely well. I sharpen mine with a diamond hone, go to a very fine Arkansas oil stone, strop with leather charged with chromium oxide then strop with plain veg. tanned leather. It takes about an hour to do about 5 knives. They hold an edge for a very long time if taken care of and I only have to sharpen them every year or so. I never run my knives through the dishwasher and take care to ensure that whatever I'm cutting on will be easy on the edge when it passes through.
You should be aware that you may get a stain on the steel if you leave acidic juices on the blades for a long period of time (a darker spot not rust). This will always be the case with good steel. The more stainless the blade steel, the less it will hold an edge. There are pros and cons to everything and I would much rather have steel that holds a good edge.
The steel was made in Germany and worked in China. That's how they're able to make a great product for a fair price. The cutting geometry is great. The only complaint I have is that potatoes and onions stick to the blade more than I'd like after the cut is made.
Just so you know I'm not the average uninformed idiot reviewing this product (and not gloat in any way) I have a background in engineering, machining, metallurgy, carving (as a hobby) and product design.
on April 14, 2015
The knives feels good in your hand and are well balanced. There's your second star. Now for the bad. We bought the entire knife block set about 15 months ago. After about 8 months the santoku knife broke in half right where the blade meets the handle. My wife was fortunate enough to find an exact replacement at Ross for individual sale for about $20 so we figured we'd give it another shot. Just a couple weeks ago, THAT knife broke in half at the exact same point as the first. I promise we are doing nothing to abuse these blades. We dry them immediately after HAND washing them and we're not trying to cut through concrete. The other blades in the block have had no issues. They all require frequent sharpening, but are otherwise well intact. I don't think we'll be sinking any more money into Calphalon blades. I've always felt the brand was a little overpriced but they do have a reputation for decent quality (as far as cookware is concerned anyway).
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2012
We bought this knife set at a local Calphalon outlet store for an even better price than shown here. We were more than happy with them after a few months. Thus far, they have stayed sharp and clean easily.
on September 22, 2014
I've had this 17 Piece knife set for just over 3 years now and I am happy with them. I keep the knives in the block and hand-wash them. I haven't had any issues with rust and they keep an edge pretty well. I love the 4 1/2 paring knife so much that I bought another one with a 3 1/2 paring knife. The block has a few extra slots so I can fit those knives in the block as well. The handles have a nice quality feel to them and they feel well balanced.

While I love the other knives, I'm not too fond of the Steak Knives in this set. My last set of knives were Henckles and the steak knives worked great as paring knives. The serrated portion of the steak knives works fine for its intended purpose but not for most other cutting. I'm tempted to replace the steak knives in my block with 4 1/2 Inch Paring knives. The steak knives are also Chinese steel vs German steel for the other knives.

That being said, I'm still happy with these knives and use them daily.
on November 10, 2015
Unfortunately the order did live up to our level of expectations of Calphon products. All the Knives had to be immediately sharpened The Santoku, the slicer and the utility knives were not sharp enough to do its basic cutting functions. The steak knives were also not very practical and ripped the beef more than cut it.
Not at all satisfied with the product.
on June 8, 2015
It started to rust within 2 weeks and getting worse day by day.