5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookware; but 4, not too terrible issues
I would rate this 4.6; reasons to follow:

Published on January 8, 2009 by ebay8503

3.0 out of 5 stars calphalon contemporary disappointment
I was on my way to purchase a set of All Clad and saw these. The design is gorgeous, the weight is excellent, and Calphalon is an excellent name. I bought the 10 piece set.

Published on January 29, 2006 by John R. Nunziato

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookware; but 4, not too terrible issues, January 8, 2009
This review is from: Calphalon Contemporary Stainless 10-Piece Cookware Set (Kitchen)
I would rate this 4.6; reasons to follow:

To start off, I spent around 5 months of looking into cookware before I made a decision on these. Some of the "Honorable mentions" would be All Clad, Emeril Ware, Simply Calphalon, Calphalon One, Calphalon NonStick, and the Calphalon Anodized. After much debate, handling, and "weighing of pros and cons", I settled on this set.

The BreakDown:
I LOVE this set and would definitely purchase these lil' gems again. I plan on getting married soon and I'm the more of the cook in the relationship; hence, I was looking for something long-term and that both of us would feel comfortable using.

THE SELLING POINTS:

Stylish, brushed stainless steel coating. Looks good now, should still be in style later on. Traditional look with a contemporary style.

See-through lids (although it fogs up and you can't see anything anyway, it's a splashy idea nonetheless)

Smooth handle with "Y" connected handle - This is GREAT since the heat transfer area is slight and really keeps the handle safe to the touch. The other thing with the handle is that it's easy to hold even with the heavier pan (3-quart sauté pan). When I checked out All Clad's cookware, their handles hurt my hand. Theirs is in the shape of a sharp edged trough - I could barely hold the thing without pain; and this was before food was in it.

Weight: These don't really weigh all that much compared to some of the other brands. By no means is it lightweight; but it provides a "solid" feel to it. My Fiance, who has small hands (ring size 3) doesn't have a problem handling these. She used All Clad and hated the handle design and the weight of them.

Even Heating: it's been mentioned before, but these really do heat up evenly. Some (Emerilware) have this little copper/metal base on the bottom of the pan. Pretty much only the food above the base gets cooked and the outsides don't. I've never had a problem with uneven cooking, even with a largely stuffed pan. Don't misunderstand this, you still do have to rotate food while cooking; but this isn't a serious concern.

Non-stick: Although this set is NOT non-stick. It sure has some of it's properties. I can make a fried egg with no problem and saute stuff with no sticking. IF food does start to stick, see Tip 1 below.

THE BLAHHH:

Heating: It IS true...these will heat up quickly. DO NOT put these past HIGH! Even Med-High is pushing it. In my experience, I can saute onions, peppers, chicken ect at low-med heat with no problem. I can not tell you how many times I've burned olive oil in these things; and it's a $***& to get off. If you do happen to burn stuff in these, get BarKeeper's Friend. It takes off most of what you had on there.

Tip 1: I found out that after cooking a particularly "dirty" dish (or if food starts to stick to it), I'd have to use BK Friend to get it back to where food (eggs in particular wouldn't stick to it).

Edges: You'll notice that there's an edge for where the lid fits comfortably in place. The problem here is that if you burn something in the pan, you'll need a knife/razor blade to scrape this stuff off. Even BKF won't get off some of this stuff if you burn it on good enough. I like the edges, but the fact that there's no way to really clean this is a con.

Scratching: Ok, here's the deal with this. Calphalon DOES say that you CAN use metal utensils with this set. Using metal utensils doesn't hurt the cookware; but it WILL scratch them. I use wood or plastic with these and have had great luck with it. In the case that I do need to scrape stuff off the bottom. I have no problem with using metal. If I'm somewhat careful, I might inflict a minute scratch.

Washing: This really isn't a Con per se, but it can be a turn-off to some people. You WILL have to hand wash these and DRY them when you're done cooking. No air-drying here. It'll leave water marks and food will stick.

Tip 2: always use hot soapy water when washing this stuff and never put cold water in these when they're hot in order to get the "bits" off. You'll ruin it and void the warranty.

Conclusion:
From talking to other people, this set seems to be a bit more finicky about it's care and use than some of the other brands. For me, this has been a "Smooth" set to work with and it seems to be a great tool. Something that I'll be using for a rather long time. It is one of the more expensive of Calphalon's line, and you can't always find this line. Get the stuff early, and get all the matching stuff that you'd want - it might not be here forever.

3.0 out of 5 stars calphalon contemporary disappointment, January 29, 2006
John R. Nunziato (Yardley Pa, United States) - See all my reviews

I had it for only 10 days and found something very distressing. When you stir the food, what do you do with the spoon? You hit it on the edge of the pan to get off any food. I do this routinely without any problems. To my surprise, the Calphalon's edge dented with every hit. I can only imagine what the edges would look like after a year, given that I'd only had them 10 days and the edges were all beat up. Please, don't get the impression that I'm hard on pots, but the softness of the steel was very disconcerting and was bad enough after 10 days for me to return the set. A $500 set of pots shouldn't dent like these did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Set!!, March 26, 2008
I had purchased this set after deciding on a Calphalon Tri-ply set. I had done alot of research on the Triply set but after seeing these in store, I wanted them. I love the brushed look plus they are the same triply performance. The handles on this set are twice as thick and much more comfortable. This set did come with less pieces for more money but since I plan on looking at them for along time. I'd rather spend the extra money and get what I wanted. Upon using my pans for the first time, I almost fell over after hand washing them. They had the horrible "rainbowing" effect so many have mentioned. I had preheated them, let the food rest on the counter 10 mins as suggested, Cooked the food at a med. heat, then let the pans cool down. After seeing what had happened I came online and read some reviews on here and thought "Oh No, What did I buy?". I then went to Calphalon's website and right in the FAQ section it addressed this rainbowing and said to use Barkeeper's Friend (which I didnt have) or lemon juice. So I went in a poured a bit of lemon juice in the pan and within no time all colors were gone and they looked as good as new. They have cooked wonderfully. Even heating, much faster than my older nonstick pans. I have been using these for some time now and I love them. They are great. I would recommend them to anyone who likes to cook and is looking for a beautiful, yet effective cookware set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase!, June 7, 2007
Fred (Jupiter, FL USA) - See all my reviews
Before we received this set, I was concerned since I read the previous reviews after ordering, and some reviewers were concerned about discoloration. The flyers that ship with the product warn against using spray cooking oils, as the propellants may discolor the metal. We have avoided spray oils, used this set heavily for several weeks, and have had no discoloration at all, all pieces cook and clean well. A very complete set that works well on our flat surface electric range. I would recommend without reservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great set, depending on your needs!, September 9, 2008
Gary Gargan (New Hampshire, USA) - See all my reviews
We bought this set a few days ago, sorry not from amazon, but this i wanted to add my review as I felt there are some issues to clear up. We bought this set because we wanted to get away from teflon which may have negative side effects on your body with long term use.

The other issues people noted include the fact that although it states safe for use on induction stoves, it will not work on induction stoves. This is because it is made of 18/10 stainless steel, and basically because there is alot of nickel in the steel that negates the ferrous qualities that allow it to me affected by magnets.

Other people have noted problems with water spots or whitish reminants after cleaning, yes we get that too, so we dry out pots straight away, and ignore the white spots. if you are picky there are cleaning products that will get this off, perhaps try lemon juice or vinegar. ( i believe the mild acid neutralizes the hard water)

Sticking, yes i am afraid this is a problem and there is a science to getting your eggs to not stick, we decided to keep one non-stick pan for eggs. If you have problem getting the sticky stuff off, fill the pan up with water and boil it until everything softens.

In the end, this set looks great, the lids are oven safe and we feel happier eating off steel than teflon. Our dishwashing has had to change but we can deal with that. Think carefully about how these issues affect you before buying the set. We love it. (oh, and the handles stayed marvelously cool too)

4.0 out of 5 stars These pans are great!, October 6, 2006
I received this set as a gift and I could not be happier. They are beautiful to look at and wonderful to cook with! Somewhere in the documentation it states that these pots will heat up faster than others. I read that and thought, "Yeah, right". Well, it turned out to be absolutely true! I gave them four out of the five stars, though, because the bottom inside of the pans have acquired a blotchy/mottled look ~~ right from the first time I used them. No amount of cleaning seems to completely remove it, either. Still, this is such a minor (and esthetic) issue, that I'd buy them again without hesitation. They're that good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Set is great, June 26, 2008
The people who are complaining about food sticking shouldn't mark down this set since eggs will stick to any stainless cookware set. That's what "NONSTICK" pans are for. For all other cooking these are great.

4.0 out of 5 stars As Claphalon advertises, August 8, 2010
I purchased a 10 pc. Claphalon Contemporary cookware set about 6 months ago. I really have come to like my new cookware. Previously I had used a hand-me-down Revere set, and wanted a heavier-bottomed, purchased-new-by-me set. I did a fair amount of research, and based mostly on Consumer Reports' evaluations I chose Calphalon. I specifically chose the Contemporary line because of the glass see-though lids, the lovely design, and the lower weight of individual pieces compared to other Calphalon product lines. At first I didn't like how large and heavy the pots and pans were compared to my Revereware. I'm used to the extra heft now-- the extra long handles on the Calphalon help with balancing the weight of pot and contents. I also didn't like the fact that the Calphalon handles were so long that I had to completely rearrange my cabinets to provide a place for the new set. To aid in storing, I found online a do-it-yourself rack (made from an inexpensive metal hand towel rack) for the lids that I attached to a cabinet door. This rack is very handy, and allows me to stack the pots to conserve space.

Some reviews I've read complain about food sticking to stainless steel. I've not had this problem AT ALL PROVIDED I use the cookware according to manufacturer's directions. That is, heat the cookware first, then add the oil/fat. Only add the food after the oil is hot. Never use high heat except to boil water. (I find I never feel I need high heat with the heat-distributing properties of this cookware.) Slight discoloration on the interior of the pots that I get sometimes after cooking is very quickly polished away with Bar Keeper's Friend.

The lovely shape of the Contemporary line adds a serendipidous advantage: the gradual curve of the bottom of the pots (curved like a saute pan) allow me to use a spatula more quickly and efficiently to stir and scrape out food. I really like this feature! Did Calphalon do it on purpose?!

I like the see-through lids. Eventhough the lids bead up with condensation, which limits how well you can see the food in the pot, I find I can readily monitor reaching the boiling point or the rate of boiling anyway.

The set requires sharing a lid between the 8" saute pan and the 2 1/2 qt saucepan. Often I want to use both of these with lids simultaneously. Purchasing another lid would put me back about $40! So I sometimes just use the stockpot lid, which overhangs the edge of the saute pan.

Pro:
See through lids
Beautiful design, aids in food removal
Heavy weight stainless steel distributes heat
Nearly no-stick quality!

Cons
Heavy with long handles requiring thoughtful storage
Don't stack well
Shared lids

In summary, despite some down points, I would highly recommend Calphalon Contemporary, and purchase it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars so far so good, December 28, 2008
I just bought this set. I was actually going to the store to buy All Clad, but there was such a good deal and so many extras on Calphalon, I decided to try them out. Both my husband and I cooked in them. My husband had stuff sticking all over, but he used too high of heat. Mine did not stick. Even with his food sticking, they cleaned so easily (I did have to use Bar Keepers Friend on the pan that he made potato in to get the rainbow coloring off of it, but it did not take any longer that washing it with dish soap). My husband was not to sure about them after his experience. I cooked bacon and sausage in them as well, no sticking. I decided to put them to a real test, an egg. I scrambled an egg (only way I like them lately), and let it set out for several minutes, and did the butter test that was in the directions. After adjusting the temp. to get it right, I poured the egg into the pan (half expecting it to stick after reading some reviews). Not one piece stuck!! I have an electric glass cook top, so if it was going to stick, it would probably be on my stove. So far, they seem like they will work out good. They were definitely a great value for the quality. I will update if I find anything wrong with them, or any other problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful set of cookware!, January 19, 2010
I have had this set for over two years and I love it! And I have to say, in response to the other reviews, I don't buy Barkeeper's Friend (or anything similar), but I have no problem cleaning these pans - EVEN FOR EGGS. As long as you preheat correctly there is little sticking or cleanup, and a little soaking takes care of the times when the preheating wasn't done correctly (like, by my husband!). Just remember: "hot pan, cold oil, food won't stick!"

These pans heat quickly and wonderfully evenly every time - I never have to turn my burner above medium. Not to mention, they are beautiful and ergonomically easy to handle. I have carpal tunnel syndrome but the construction of the handle and the way it joins to the pan makes it easy to lift and carry. Also, the way the handle joins to the pan (with a Y construction) ensures that it is a very solid join but conducts little heat, so the handle remains cool.

Yes, the handle on top of the lid gets hot since it is directly over the heat, but that seems kind of obvious; just use a hot pad to lift the lid. Also, I have had none of the discoloration problems mentioned here; I'm not sure what might cause that, but whatever it is I apparently don't do it. I have also had NO problems with the pans denting and I do sometimes use metal spoons, though I prefer wooden.

No, they don't look brand new any more, but really, who cares? They are extremely well-constructed and in two years of hard use (family of six) none of the joins or screws have loosened even a smidge, and no glass lids have broken. Plus, they are by far the most attractive pots and pans I've even seen, with lovely elegant lines. I like having them in my kitchen to look at as well as to use.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›