4.0 out of 5 stars Good wok
Published on August 9, 2006 by Charles

3.0 out of 5 stars big enough
I bought this cookware a couple of months ago, and I used it every day. But I still feel it a little heavy for me. And it is not very easy for me to clean the wok after using it. Additionally, it is not appropriate to stir fry eggs in this wok unless you put much oil in the wok. However, it is big enough to make a dish for three or four persons.
Published on April 2, 2006 by Lyn Zhang

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good wok, August 9, 2006
Charles (Burlington, VT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Flat Bottom Wok (Kitchen)
I use this wok on an electric range. I find it works well provided I turn the heat all the way up to high on a big burner. The problem, of course, is electric stoves, not the wok. As far as cooking goes it is great. As long as it is well heated before you start nothing sticks, the bottom heats evenly, and with a little bit of stainless steel polish it stays looking good as new. My one complaint is that a wok really needs a good lid for simmering sauces. This one does not include a lid, and I have not yet found anything that I can use for one.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 and 1/2 stars..., February 23, 2007
This review is from: Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Flat Bottom Wok (Kitchen)
I think this is like an American Chinese wok, because like one of the reviewer said, it has a small flat bottom. (That's what my parents prefers, because that way it would NOT move around on a stove. Seriously, we brought a bottom ring for our previous traditional Chinese wok, but it still moves around!) So far, this is one of the best wok i seen!

Good: VERY easy to Clean, and easy to use
Good: very high quality metal, super durable and amazing heat transmission for such super thick metal wok.
Good: The height of the wok is perfect for steaming overnight dish (trust me, my dad even go as far as to measure it out himself before purchasing it at our local Macy's store!)

Bad: it's kinda heavy (to me at least, because my parents didn't think so, i guess i just need to practice more on using it!)
Bad: the wok doesn't include a wok cover. (But You should able to find a wok cover in a Chinese grocery store though).

*UPDATE* 7/23/2013

After about 8 years since we purchased the item in summer of 2005, our wok still looks pretty good with minor scratches and tiny dents from the frequent uses of our metal spatula. I feel the wok is worth every penny we paid for, my parents and I highly recommend this item. * It maybe best for you to pick up the item at Macy's to try it out first, since the wok is very heavy (it would be expensive to make a return back to amazon).

Good luck, and happy shopping!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect wok and you can order the lid from Caphalon, February 4, 2010
R. Grossman (Atlantic City, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Flat Bottom Wok (Kitchen)
I don't have much to add about the wok. It's great but takes a little time to get used to. You don't need the flame as high as on an inexpensive wok as it conducts heat really well. But I was too conservative at first, cooking too low.

One comment was the lack of a lid. E-mail or call Caphalon and get a lid to fit that matches the set. No part number on the lid I just got, but a label on the box says JR1613001. That's the glass lid with a stainless steel ring and handle. Fits perfectly and makes it perfect as far as I'm concerned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wok, November 9, 2007
This review is from: Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Flat Bottom Wok (Kitchen)
I have been using this 13" inches wok about a year. It is a great product for the price. If anything sticks after cooking; just pour water in it and boil, let the water cool down then clean it. Some people might
think is too big(little bit too big for the standard sink) and too heavy. It is a quality product, I think it will last at least 20 years. Unlike nonstick cookware, stainless steel does not react with the food in high temp. It is good for your health. This wok is best use for cooking Asian vegetables. Remeber to use the bamboo turner. I am still looking for the lid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value and space., March 26, 2008
C. Davis (Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Flat Bottom Wok (Kitchen)
(First, let me say that I use this on a gas range, and I cannot imagine cooking any kind of stir-fry successfully on an electric range, though I know people adjust and find cookware that meets their needs.)

Pro:

The pan heats quickly and evenly, and it holds this heat well, all the way up the sides.

It's large enough that I can stir-fry and cook up the sides without crowding everything into the bottom and stewing/braising instead of stir-frying.

Cleanup is simple. When there is residue, hot water and the rough side of a sponge takes it right off. It's beautiful stainless and easy to keep clean and looking nice.

The handle is well-designed and ergonomic, but without being an eyesore like some rubberized or "funky" designs. Cook with many All-Clad handles and your palms will tell you why this is important, no matter how great the base may be. [And I have connective tissue disease affecting my hands, so this is especially important for me.]

Minus:

It's not truly nonstick (but then, I wasn't expecting that), so I have to use some oil. But follow the suggestions about heating the wok, then heating the oil, then adding foods in slowly, etc., and I think you'll find that it works quite well.

The large size that's so great for cooking is not so great for my sub-par "birdbath" sink in the place we're renting, but that's a sink issue, not a cookware issue.

No surprises, here. I definitely agree with the previous reviewer that this generation of Calphalon holds its own against the comparable All-Clad and other high-end pieces on the market. There's no reason to be frustrated by cooking in sub-par equipment with items like this on the market (and priced so much off retail).

Final note: I am vegan, and this is sometimes even more of a challenge because of how meat sears vs. how vegetables cook up, and I find this to work out quite well, even though I'm not adding foods that contain their own fat to the pan (and I limit the oil significantly).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good wok!, November 9, 2006
This review is from: Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Flat Bottom Wok (Kitchen)
I am really glad I bought this wok. It heats up rather quickly and evenly. Easy to clean (use detergent for stainless steel). It is heavy though if you have a problem with that. The only thing missing is a lid, but you can buy one at local stores.

5.0 out of 5 stars good buy, July 28, 2005
This review is from: Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Flat Bottom Wok (Kitchen)
Very solid and well-built piece... Heatup was quick and even. It is not losing any groud compared other higher price cookware like All-clad...

5.0 out of 5 stars calphalon wok, April 15, 2008
This review is from: Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Flat Bottom Wok (Kitchen)
This is a great product. Plenty large enough for my fried rice recipe and does an excellent job.

5.0 out of 5 stars New wok, December 1, 2007
This review is from: Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Flat Bottom Wok (Kitchen)
Just recieved the wok last night and had to try it today. Followed the suggestion about heating the wok before adding oil. The recipe called for 3/4 pound of chicken but I doubled it along with other ingredients. Had a very full wok but everthing was great. No sticking and the cleanup was easy. I will be using it more often and have some interesting stir fry recipes to try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wok (for electric stoves), July 19, 2011
This review is from: Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Flat Bottom Wok (Kitchen)
While there is nothing like cooking on gas with a carbon steel wok, this is best solution for the times I have to cook on an electric range. I purchased this for travel - when cooking on vacation or on the road, at house of family or friends who don't have gas - and I get good results with this flat-bottomed pan designed specifically for electric range. Even heat, easy to clean.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›