Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Calphalon Easy Grip Apple Slicer
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on April 2, 2010
I was thinking about getting the apple divider that Cook's Illustrated liked, the Williams-Sonoma Dial-A-Slice. The Calphalon Easy Grip Apple Slicer looked similiar, however you can't adjust the size of the slices. I'm very happy that I got this one instead. (About half the price, too!) Very easy to handle, although it takes some strength, and leaves a perfect core for the squirrels to enjoy. Quick and easy! It hasn't rusted like my previous one, either. Just keep in mind that it has sharp blades. My 7-year old thought she could cut her own apple and got a bit of a nick on her finger.
66 comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2011
Ordered this slicer as a replacement for another name slicer. The slicer is well made and very sharp. What makes this slicer stand out is that the circular corer extends slightly from the bottom that provides a complete cut of the slices from the core. Also like the height of the handles that provide more than adequate clearance from the cutting surface for finger protection.
on October 17, 2009
We eat a lot of apples and tend to go through slicers. This one has held up very well, even in the dishwasher.
on February 9, 2011
I bought an Oxo apple slicer a few years ago, and was perfectly satisfied with it until the grip handle broke after a year and a half of constant use. Rather than get another Oxo, I instead chose the Calphalon Easy Grip and am glad that I did. The Calphalon is superior in every important respect - larger, stronger and cleaner cutting. After almost 2 years of daily use it is as sharp today as the day I received it.
22 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I received this Calphalon Easy Grip Apple Slicer in March 2013 and personally find that it is superior to its main competition here on Amazon.com - the OXO Good Grips Apple Corer and Divider (see my review) - that I purchased a little more than one year ago.

The crucial difference between these two kitchen tools lies not just in the somewhat easier to grip and more comfortable handles on the Calphalon slicer, but in the fact that the handles are raised and set off from the main body of the slicer itself. The OXO corer and divider has the handles essentially flush with and in the same plane as the main body of the tool.

The raised handles provide additional leverage and force when pressing down to core and partition whatever it is that you need to process into eight approximately equally sliced portions.

I also find that the Calphalon slicer cuts more cleanly through the skin on apples, while the comparable OXO tool frequently requires some additional help after the fact (push through with fingers or other tool) to completely separate the skin when coring.

Thus, the Calphalon tool makes this task not just easier, but also quicker and more enjoyable overall - highly recommended!
on September 27, 2010
This slicer is so easy to use and makes the job a breeze. Great if you have slight pain in your knuckles, as I do. The padded grips are wonderful. Thank You.
RCC, Lincoln Heights, CA 9003
on January 8, 2012
The slicer is a simple to use product with a friendly grip. The one gripe I had only appeared after an over excited trip to the apple orchard. It sliced all the apple with ease, except for the Jonagold which are much larger than most other kinds of apples. As long as you're mindful of the size of your apple and not get the very large ones, then you'll be fine with this easy to use slicer.
on April 2, 2014
Summary:

I prefer the OXO Good Grips Apple Corer and Divider over the Calphalon (this item). While the Calphalon works ok (it will slice apples for years), I think the Oxo stays sharp longer because the blade is slightly recessed, and has a slimmer profile so it takes up less space in the "gadget drawer".

Issue 1: Extending cutting ring means it gets dull fast.

The central cutting ring on the Calphalon extends out beyond the plastic cutting base. This is supposed to make it cut that last bit of apple skin to release the apple wedges. Yes this does work, but you really have to push down pretty hard and wiggle the slicer around for the blade to cut the skin completely. More important, if you slice an apple every day on a ceramic plate like I do then this will dull the blade in about 1 week! If you cut on wood, then maybe you have about 2 months of daily use until the central ring is completely dull. If you slice apples infrequently then you may not notice the dulling for quite a while.

I find it's a lot easier to just slice down (still a tiny bit of apple skin left), then grab the entire apple and pull up, with a slight wiggling motion, to cut through the reluctant last bit of skin. It takes about 1 second. With this slicing technique the extended cutting ring is not needed. The Oxo's blade is recessed, so it stays sharp a LOT longer. My 5 year old Oxo is sharper than my 3 month old Calphalon!

Issue 2: Oversized handles take up too much space

I find the Calphalon's oversized handles annoying large without any real benefit. Bigger means it eats up more space in the drawer. I'm a guy with average-sized hands. I have no problem slicing an apple with the Oxo's slimmer profile. I think the key is the style of grip. If you grip the handles with knuckles facing down, then yes they might hit the cutting board. Just flare your fingers outward instead of using a "death grip". I concede that this issue is highly subject to personal opinion.
on May 23, 2013
Calphalon Easy Grip Apple Slicer, is so sharp that I cut my thumb.

Edit: I recently went to ER because of mild flap laceration, on my thumb, it hurt really bad, be careful, store away from young family members and treat as a knife.
review image
on December 13, 2010
This slicer is better than the KitchenAid Professional Fruit Slicer, Red I owned previously because (1) the blades are sharper and (2) the central circular blade is offset slightly below the circular plastic frame, which makes it possible to roll the slicer around on the cutting surface once it reaches the bottom and cut more completely through the skin.

Another difference is that (3) the handles are higher. This makes the slicer easier to hold, but it also makes it harder to keep the slicer on track, parallel to the core, as it moves through the fruit. I have to pause to adjust the "aim" more often with this slicer.

I've owned it only a couple of weeks, so I can't speak to its durability.
(I broke the KitchenAid slicer after a few months by mistakenly trying to force it through a quince. Not the slicer's fault.)