4.0 out of 5 stars Great Knife Set
I tried several different types of knives before I bit the bullet and just ordered these without being able to try them first. Among those I tried were the Wusthof Grand Prix II and Classic, J.A. Henkels Microedge and Classic, and Calphalon Contemporary. I was beginning to despair of finding knives that I liked.

Pros:
Well balanced, none of the knives feel...
Published on July 3, 2012 by Pianist

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
These knives look great but are dull. The blade does not stay sharp. Super disappointed for the price.
Published 2 months ago by Angela Garcia

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Knife Set, July 3, 2012
This review is from: Calphalon Katana Cutlery 14-Piece Knife Set (Kitchen)

Pros:
Well balanced, none of the knives feel unwieldy or precarious while cutting (I have small hands and my husband has large hands, neither of us have any problems with these knives).
Sharp edge that holds up well, and the honing steel is easy to use to keep them at their sharpest.
The blades are nice and sturdy, but not heavy.
Good variety. The serrated utility works great on tomatoes, sausages, slicing sandwiches in half, etc. Chef's knife goes through large melons like they're nothing. Scissors work great (some other sets have really sub-par scissors).
Aesthetics... a really beautiful knife set to have displayed on your kitchen counter.

Cons:
I do wish that it had a 8" or 9" Bread Knife, or at least had an extra slot in the block so you can add one to the set. However there are only enough holes for the included knives.
I was disappointed that the steak knives weren't the Damascus Steel... they are just cheap stamped blades. They work fine, but for the price of the set it would be nice to have them all the same.

I would highly recommend these knives. I love them!

4.0 out of 5 stars Shapely and Sharp, April 12, 2010
I've had a set of Chicago Cutlery steak knives for years, and while I was okay with them, I was also ready for something new. Something more modern looking. Something without a wooden handle.

I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a set of steak knives, but I did want a decent quality set. I started looking at all-metal sets, but the handles often looked too thin to hold comfortably. Then I found the Katana series. The shape was appealing. The price was on the high end for me, but not exorbitant. The smooth blade with the serrated tip intrigued me. (I know knife purists are gasping, but I just don't care - I want a decent knife that works not an heirloom.)

And the verdict after using them for a while? I like them quite a bit. They look great. They're sharp. The handle is a very comfortable shape - more rounded than I thought it would be from the picture. The polyresin gives a good grip even with wet hands. They seem to hold their edge well enough.

I know that good knives and dishwashers don't mix for a variety of reasons, but my one pie-in-the-sky wish is that I could throw them in the dishwasher (not at all recommended and will void the warranty). However, they do at least dry off better than wood-handled knives. I would consider buying other knives in this line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp Set of knived, May 2, 2012
Phil J (Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
I spent about a month looking around at various shops for a great set of knives. This is what I ended up ordering, They are razor sharp! The material is made of thirty-three layers of stainless steel, has an outstanding ability to retain an edge and proven strength with VG-1.

Nothing feels better in your hand than these handles, they are not made for small hand though but for me they feel great. The material used to make the knife handle is much more important than you might think. Wooden handles have a tendency to rot or corrode. A corroded handle will make the blade fit loosely, which can be dangerous. These feel and great they are less likely to break than many other handles and are not overly heavy.

The way that a knife handle is designed is important. The part of the blade that goes into the handle (called the tang) should go all the way through on both sides. Many knife tangs only go part of the way through the knife's handle or on one side. This may cause the blade to come loose, but this has a full tang. They are well balanced and you need that to make sure you don't cut your self
Cutting with these tools is great since slicing is so easy.. I have tried with other knives, but never got as good of results as with this set. These are worth every penny, but do take care of them! They do need hand washing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome set, February 27, 2013
This review is from: Calphalon Katana Cutlery 14-Piece Knife Set (Kitchen)
I would have given it 5 stas if the steak knives were the same as the rest of them. Not that it was a surprise since the description lets you know that, but it still would have been nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars The sharpest, coolest steak knives!, May 27, 2009
These steak knives are fantastic...sharp, well-balanced, and they look great. They are the perfect compliment to the Calphalon Katana chef's knives. I only have one minor complaint -- they come in sets of 4. Four is not quite enough for entertaining at our house, and eight are too many. Still I highly recommend these knives!

4.0 out of 5 stars Classy Clean and Contemporary, June 22, 2008
I was a bit hesitant about buying these knives as I'd read from another site a person had problems with the knives rusting quickly (they noted it happened within an hour, not that they'd left the knives in the sink overnight). However, I have a contemporary styled set of Wusthof Grand Prix II knives and need non-traditional steak knives to match. One thing that allayed these fears was Amazon's return policy. Another thing was Calphalon's lifetime warranty. Thankfully, I have had to use neither.

The black you see on the handles is a polyresin that is actually quite comfortable. It imparts some warmth to the design and offers grip not seen in items like the Wüsthof 8-Piece Stainless-Steel Steak Knife Set with Wooden Gift Box. This also gives the handle some size and makes it less dainty -- enough that you would feel secure bearing down with the blade. The blade is also very hard and cuts through even tough meats like warm butter. I have not had to use the saw tip yet. Were it not for the light weight of the knives, I may have bought the kitchen knives as well for their style.

If you like light knives you will appreciate this set as well. The tang goes all the way through the handle but I would put the balance point more near the center. My only quibble with Calphalon (and the reason for only 4 stars) is why only 4 knives? I've noticed this with other manufacturers as well. 4 knives seems like too few while 8 knives seems like too many. I'm single so 4 knives suits my needs plenty, but occasionally will have 3-5 people over for dinner. Do I try not to serve anything that requires a serious knife? Cajole guests into sharing? Pop for the extra 4 and leave 6 or 7 knives languishing for the majority of the time? Help a guy out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these knives, one was shipped damaged, December 12, 2012
I received my knives yesterday and inspected each one. I've been using the 6" chefs knife for quite a few years now and I love the quality of these knives. They hold their edge and have a fantastic balance. As well as being full tang! My fiance ordered this set for me for Christmas and they are all gorgeous. The 9" bread knife came slightly damaged on the face (by the logo), but it is hardly noticeable and is not a problem when using the knife. I contacted amazon about it and I either had to send the entire knife set back just to get the new bread knife or they would refund me $40 for the knife and I can keep the knife. I took the later because if I send the entire set back, I might possibly get a perfectly good bread knife, but maybe something else would be damaged. For the time lost, it's not worth it. The customer service agent was very helpful.

The knives are fantastic and I would recommend them to anyone who needs a dependable knife!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best set I've ever owned, February 11, 2012
This review is from: Calphalon Katana Cutlery 14-Piece Knife Set (Kitchen)
This is my third set of knives and perhaps the least expensive of those three, but by far the sharpest and best looking! Love them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for, February 21, 2012
I have large hands, so the Katana/Santoku style gives me more room than most styles. The blade "twists" 90 degrees to become the core of the handle. It is a full tang design that is quite beautiful to look at. The acid etching adds to that appeal (which you really can't fully appreciate in the photos). They are well balanced and I work them better than anything else I have owned to date. I will not be looking for anything else while this set is still around.

They are made of a slightly softer steel than most professional grade cutlery I have used, but they sharpen easier because of that. All around I am beyond pleased and would recommend them at full price, so that makes them a bargain if you can shave off some $c-notes$ here at Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best knives Ive owned, December 17, 2012
This review is from: Calphalon Katana Cutlery 14-Piece Knife Set (Kitchen)
I cook a lot, and these knives are pretty amazing. Ive had them for almost a year and I would purchase them again in a heartbeat. They keep a sharp edge, but if you do need to sharpen them, just one swipe on each side with the diamond sharpener does the trick. Ive paid twice this much for knives in the past for a lower quality product. Not to mention they look pretty bad ass, in the block and out. The layered steel gives each knife an awesome look. The only thing Im not 100% happy with are the steak knives, they are great, but with the serrated blade they suck to sharpen. Luckily you dont have to do it often.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›