Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

Size: 165 Count|Style Name: Tablets|Change

on June 7, 2011
If you need calcium and take any sort of antacid or PPI, this is the wrong choice. This goes for people that have had bariatric surgery or who have acid reflux. You need acid to extract the calcium from calcium carbonate (which is what this is) and the antacid prevents it. It's more expensive, but in that case you need calcium citrate or calcium lactate.
33 comments|59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 29, 2012
I tried this product after reading that some folks who have had their gallbladders removed found relief from digestive discomfort (read: diarreha) with them and since they were so inexpensive I didn't feel bad taking a chance on it (besides, I figured I'd at least get some extra calcium). I was really shocked (since you can't believe a lot of what you read on the Internet) to find that their advice was dead-on.

I don't know if this will help anyone else - but seriously, it helped to regulate my digestive system and now I can eat things that would have normally sent me running to the bathroom - like salad and cereal. In fact, I was researching whether salad made other people sick when I happened upon discussions about Caltrate. Anyhow, don't take my word for it - google Caltrate and assorted stomach ailments and see what you find!
66 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2011
By my late-20's I was osteopenic and encouraged to supplement with a minimum of 1,000 mg of calcium per day. Because I take other supplements and medication daily, I was hoping this chewable calcium + vitamin D would be able to replace my morning glug of pills, and it has to some extent.

Each chewable is about the size of a nickel, but thick. I think it has a fake sweet taste to it, and although not chalky, its not fantastic either. However, each one has 600 mg of calcium and 400 mg of vitamin D, so I prefer it to many of the other non-chewables. I'm not happy that each one has a trace amount of partially hydrogenated soybean oil in it, as that is trans fat. It may not be much, but all the "trace" amounts we consume throughout the day add up.

To weigh the pros and cons... Two chewable Caltrate versus swallowing 4-6 of the other options, fruity taste with 10 calories per pill versus Viactiv's with 1/2 gram of fat per chew, inexpensive compared to other calcium chewable supplements. I give it 5 stars for cost, convenience and content but less 1 for the partially hydrogenated oil listed. I'll continue to use and recommend.
review image review image
on July 5, 2014
Used to love the chewables. It was like eating a little piece of candy twice a day. However, they just changed the formulation and while the tablet is smaller, which I like, the taste is no longer delicious. In fact, it is bad. Now it's a chore to eat them. Once this bottle is gone, I'm looking for a better alternative.
44 comments|15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2011
I like taking my calcium in this format. It tastes good and you can avoid the monster pills. The only problem is that these must be taken with food to be digested properly into useful calcium. It is not obvious when you buy them, so buyer beware of this fact.
on January 7, 2010
This item was recommended by my doctor for preventing osteoporosis, and I bought this pack of 2 for the price of one bottle in my local Safeway store. They are chewable and taste great so I don't mind taking them at all.
on July 11, 2012
I fractured my hip. That was when I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. My doctor put me on Fosamax and ordered 1500 mg of calcium daily. This product is excellent if you keep in mind it is a "carbonate" not a "citrate." This means it must be taken with food in order to be absorbed by the body. Calcium citrate can be taken without food, but is not available as a chewable, AFAIK, only large "horse pills.". The Caltrate chewables are not hard to chew as some have said. I have full dentures and have no problems. They also are quite tasty. I prefer the grape and cherry over the orange, but all are at least good. Regardless of how long I must take the Fosamax, I know I will likely take a calcium supplement the rest of my life and will be taking the Caltrate Chewables.
on July 13, 2014
They changed their recipe and it is awful. Way too much flavor and almost burns the tongue. I loved the older product but am not sure I will reorder this
on October 19, 2014
This did the trick. I have tried everything under the sun for chronic diarreah. Spent a fortune on expensive pills for IBS. But nothing worked. I believe mine is stress related. I tried this product and it worked right away. I take one before each meal. Finally relief. I'm not sure how long I can safely take this three times a day. Need to do some research. If anyone knows, let me know. I highly recommend this product.
on January 5, 2016
The flavor has changed and the taste is horrible. I compared my old bottle and new. It appears they added sucralose to the product. The pictured product has the old formulation posted. Sadly I had to throw 2 bottles away.