Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Calypso Basics 3 Quart powder coated Colander, Magenta
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Billy Talent Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Color: Magenta|Change

on July 21, 2009
I purchased this colander less than a year ago for my daughter's college apartment. I figured I couldn't go wrong - it was the right size, and it was attractive. Well, I traveled down to visit her this past weekend, and I was horrified to see that the colander was covered in rust! The paint had cracked and chipped, and rust had completely taken over. We threw it away immediately, and I am ordering her a Tovolo melamine colander (I have had mine for years, and I've had no problems with it). It worries me to think of what my daughter was ingesting! The thought of hot pasta sitting in rust and peeling paint, and then going right into her mouth, literally turns my stomach. This doesn't even deserve 1 star. It is a completely useless item. Amazon shouldn't even sell it.
on December 30, 2007
This is painted metal, not enamel. As mentioned in another review, the paint starts to bubble and chip off with very mild wear. With all the worry about lead lately, I worry about using this painted (not enamel) cookware item.
on February 25, 2009
Like a previous reviewer, I had my colander for less than a year when the "enamel" started to chip. Of course, the metal underneath is not rust-proof, so the colander is now useless. Don't be lured in by the pretty color! It won't last.
on December 30, 2007
This is painted metal, not enamel. The paint starts to bubble and chip off with very mild wear. With all the worry about lead lately, I worry about using this painted (not enamel) cookware item.
on November 16, 2007
When I picked up this product at While Foods after passing it be for the umpteenth time I was thrilled. It was bright, fun, sturdy, and did exactly what it was supposed to do. But after a year of very light use, in a mild environment (a dry cupboard in my Brooklyn apt.) about 25% of the enamel around the drainage holes had chipped off, and has rusted underneath. Despite my best efforts, I don't cook very often which means my colander was only being used a few times a month. Very, very disappointed. I can't imagine small enamel bits in your food is very healthy. But since I paid a good $25 for it I am trying to use it a while longer.
on August 7, 2012
Wanted a sturdy colander that looked nice enough to leave out. It's a nice size and handles are helpful. This looked good at first but found that after a year or so the finish started peeling off. We've only hand washed it and don't use it every day. Expected it to wear better.
on June 1, 2007
This product looks nice, but was quick to rust around the bottom. I still use, but it will soon be retired to the garage to be used as a planter or something. Not sure I'd purchase again.
on March 2, 2008
I've had this for quite some time and it has held up very well. As the title states, this is (as with most enamel kitchen items) ENAMEL ON STEEL. I treat it exactly as I do my enamel tea kettle - hand washing only and wiping dry after each use. Enamel does take a little extra care but ours gets a LOT of use, and is more than worth it. This is so convenient, especially after using the plastic colanders (with no raised base) that sit flat in the sink and soak in the very water being drained. The price is impossible to beat, as well. When this is sitting on the counter top, it's also a practical way to display non-refrigerated fruit or vegetables!
on July 8, 2012
Though I like this colander overall (it's sturdy and a good size), the paint does tend to fade in spots when you wash it in the dishwasher. And, you know, I'm just not going to bother to wash an everyday cooking tool like this by hand like it was fine china or something.
on October 4, 2009
A beautiful colander that simply does not hold up. This colander rusts and chips with regular use.