4.0 out of 5 stars Love the design, but doesn't hold up as well as hoped
Published on February 15, 2008 by Tara DeMaderios

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't hold up
The colander is attractive, and if used as a fruit bowl or only occasionally it's probably fine. But using it to cook with on a near-daily basis, it's gotten rusty and the enamel has worn off around many of the holes. The pattern of drainholes is also not 100% ideal (would work better if there were drainholes closer to the bottom on the sides).
Published on September 28, 2010 by S. Rain

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't hold up, September 28, 2010
S. Rain (Delmar, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Calypso Basics 5 Quart powder coated Colander, Turquoise (Kitchen)

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the design, but doesn't hold up as well as hoped, February 15, 2008
I really love the size, shape, and weight of the colander. It is also a beautiful color, and it drains well. I do, however, have one complaint. The enamel tends to wear off at points where it is welded and then those spots rust. It happened the second day I had my first one and I had to get a replacement, it is starting to happen with the second one also. Thankfully, it is just at the bottom where no one can really see and I love it otherwise, so I will keep it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rust bucket for your fruit and veggies, July 6, 2014
Dr. Rob (Hershey, PA) - See all my reviews
I'm not going to go into how good it looks or well it works. All you need to know is that this ought to be called THE POWDER BLUE RUST BUCKET. No matter how well u dry it, it WILL rust after three months of routine use. After six months, there is more rust than blue. Do yourself a favor and save your money. I wish I could send it back but it's too late. I'm ordering a plastic one instead and recycling this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty & Useful, May 10, 2014
I bought a larger size and this smaller one. I am glad I got both. More water than you'd like pool in the bottom. More holes along the bottom, maybe another row or two would push this to a 5 star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, but best if used for decor rather than cooking, April 6, 2014
I purchased this colander to use as a fruit bowl on my counter. Like other reviewers have stated, I don't think it would hold up long if you used it for straining things after cooking. The nooks and crannies where the base meets the bowl would probably be too difficult to clean, and it seems like the color might wear off quickly if it was constantly washed. That said, it's a perfect accent piece. It's solid and sturdy, and the color is gorgeous and fresh. The 5 quart size is perfect to hold a large number of bananas and apples on the counter top.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful addition to my kitchen, March 13, 2014
I bought this to brighten up my kitchen and to use as a fruit bowl. The color is so pretty and it is the perfect size. Not sure if I will use it for its intended purpose as I like it as a decoration.

3.0 out of 5 stars As beautiful as this colander is, October 24, 2014
Brittany DiSalvo (Altamonte Springs, FL) - See all my reviews
As beautiful as this colander is, it's just not conducive to kitchen life. As decor or as a fruit bowl it may work just fine, but not if it gets anywhere near water. You can dry it off perfectly, but ultimately it will rust. The problem is the metal lip around the top. It holds water underneath and slowly leaks out and causes the colander to rust. The enamel coating (I should know this by now) also will not last. Mine started chipping, even though I hand washed it, within a couple of months. I haven't thrown it away yet because it is pretty, but I haven't used it in a while and it's only a matter of time before I toss it. If you're considering purchase it, I would honestly look elsewhere. A stainless steel or BPA free option would be much a better option.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty pretty, July 28, 2014
This colander is HUGE and beautiful. I agree with the manufacturers suggestion to use it as a fruit bowl when not straining pasta. The color is vivid and gorgeous. It can also strain pasta, as promised. Haha. I could have probably used one size smaller than this because it doesn't fit into my cupboards well. But since it is so beautiful, I don't mind leaving it out for guests to see.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and well made, June 20, 2014
Kimberly (United States) - See all my reviews
This is a nice large colander. It's solid and you can tell it will last for many years to come. Color is accurate also, very pretty!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty colander, April 4, 2014
Nice looking, a little big but looks great and works well. Would recommend. The color is outstanding and the price was fair.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›