Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Color: BlackChange

on March 13, 2010
This is my third colander from this line. I also have:
Calypso Basics, 08703, 1-1/2 Quart powder coated Colander, Marina
(as well as a 1-quart version that is really too small to be useful for anything.)

There's a huge variation on the ratings of these colanders, and it seems to me there's a simple reason for this: You buy a pretty colander like this because you're a little bit silly and you like the color. If you want a colander that's going to last forever, buy a stainless steel colander.

The problem, I think, is heat. You shouldn't put enameled ANYTHING in a dishwasher, for example, because the enamel and the metal expand at different rates, and that leads to chipping. I would think that draining pasta would have less of an effect like this, but it might be similar, depending on how hot the water is. I use mine for rinsing vegetables and things like that, so I've never had the chipping problem. (My first one is now a year and a half old.)

These colanders have also impressed me in that I've dropped them from the place where I hang them (above my head) onto the very hard tile floor with no apparent damage.

So yeah, me, I'm silly and the color makes me happy, so I have these hanging next to a stainless steel colander which is the one I use for more serious things. But when I'm rinsing veggies, I grab these.

Oh, another thing to note: The holes on these are pretty good sized. I like that they drain better than my stainless steel colander. But some have complained that their spaghetti slips through, and yes, the holes are definitely big enough for that to happen.
0Comment26 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2010
The colander is attractive, and if used as a fruit bowl or only occasionally it's probably fine. But using it to cook with on a near-daily basis, it's gotten rusty and the enamel has worn off around many of the holes. The pattern of drainholes is also not 100% ideal (would work better if there were drainholes closer to the bottom on the sides).
on December 30, 2008
Although very charming looking and available in fabulous colors,this colander does not wear well. After about 9 mos of normal family kitchen use, the bottom is rusting out and the paint is peeling off (my stainless steel colander, on the other hand that I've had for 5 plus years, is still going strong with only some minor dents).If you are wanting/expecting to have a colander that will last-this isn't the product for you.
on March 15, 2013
This Colander is pretty, and nice if you just want to use it for decoration. However, I bought it to use and it has started rusting at some of the seams. I wash by hand, and dry immediately after. Very disappointed.
11 comment12 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2008
I really love the size, shape, and weight of the colander. It is also a beautiful color, and it drains well. I do, however, have one complaint. The enamel tends to wear off at points where it is welded and then those spots rust. It happened the second day I had my first one and I had to get a replacement, it is starting to happen with the second one also. Thankfully, it is just at the bottom where no one can really see and I love it otherwise, so I will keep it.
on November 30, 2006
We built this new house and also decided to upgrade my kitchen utensils. This colander is sturdily built, a good design, and easy to clean. The only down side is that it does take up shelf space because it cannot be nested with anything else because of its enamel surface. A caveat: I've had this for a number of months now and it has started to RUST around the bottom....
on December 30, 2007
This is painted metal, not enamel. As mentioned in another review, the paint starts to bubble and chip off with very mild wear. With all the worry about lead lately, I worry about using this painted (not enamel) cookware item.
on May 21, 2013
My boyfriend family has this colander. It awesome, very durable and of course the color is very bright but i like it. the only problem with it that over time the paint starts peeling off.
on March 13, 2014
We purchased this to replace a 6 year old red colander that was dented. This Reston Lloyd colander looks great out of the box, but within 4 months it started to show signs of failure. The paint began to blister, first around the inside of the base then along the exterior of the colander. Within6 months the finish began to blister on the interior of the colander as well. In addition, this colander drains poorly because it has a flat bottom, not a rounded one. In short, it's ok if you don't intend to use it as a colander....
on July 6, 2014
I'm not going to go into how good it looks or well it works. All you need to know is that this ought to be called THE POWDER BLUE RUST BUCKET. No matter how well u dry it, it WILL rust after three months of routine use. After six months, there is more rust than blue. Do yourself a favor and save your money. I wish I could send it back but it's too late. I'm ordering a plastic one instead and recycling this one.