1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Cambridge Towers: Excellent Speakers for Under $1000, November 17, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Cambridge SoundWorks Tower Speakers (Pair), Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I think Cambridge Towers are excellent speakers overall. Because they radiate from the front and the back, they provide a wide, deep, and slightly diffuse soundstage, relative to the best front-radiating speakers. Overall frequency response sounds quite smooth, and separation of individual instruments is very good. The bass goes fairly deep, but it is not as tight as with some speakers in the $1000 to $2000 price range. I supplement the bass with a Cambridge Soundworks BassCube 12 subwoofer, and the result is very satisfying. I currently drive my Towers with a Jolida 102B tube integrated amplifier. The combination is excellent. I basically forget the equipment and enjoy the music. Although the Jolida is rated at only 20 or so watts per channel, the Towers are efficient enough to play quite loud with the Jolida. Overall, I really like these speakers. They're nice to look at (mine are walnut, not black), relatively inexpensive, and sound really good without calling attention to themselves. For more thorough reviews of the Cambridge Towers and other speakers I've auditioned (including Energy, Polk and Paradigm speakers, which I also like; I own Cambridge Towers), look for horswispr's reviews on Epinions.com.