Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cambro 6 Quart Translucent Square Food Storage Containers and Covers, 2 pack
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Size: 6 Quart|Change

on December 11, 2009
When you need to buy something once, and only once, Cambro is the way to go. They can be pricey, but theres a reason: they are built to last.

For people that aren't familiar with these square containers, do note that the lids will not form an air-tight/water-tight seal.
44 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 21, 2010
I'm a little late on the whole "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" trend, but I finally bought the book and set out looking for the recommended food storage containers (NOT air tight) to keep my dough in the refrigerator. The round Cambro set has been out of stock for months, and I just didn't want to pay for shipping with a third party...so I went with the square. They are excellent!
Pros:
No weird plastic smell
Durable
Space saving as opposed to the round ones
Perfect for storing my bread dough and for storing pantry items.

At first the price seemed a bit steep for two plastic tubs. But when you consider that it's a set of two with lids, it's a much better bargain than going with the single round and a separate lid (since the double set of round ones are always out of stock).

My only tiny complaint is that I wish they had these in 10 quart so that I could double a dough recipe; I bought the 8 quart also and will try that, but I suspect it may be a bit too tight for a double recipe.
on February 16, 2010
I bought these containers for bread dough storage. They seem very durable, and the lids snap on securely without being airtight (allowing gasses from rising bread to escape).

I only wish that there were a 10qt size in the same height, but more squat. The 8qt containers offer plenty of room for mixing a double batch of bread dough (just watch the corners). However, the dough's initial rise takes it over the top. So far, it's just lifted the lid a couple of inches during peak rise, then fit into the container just perfectly after I pulled enough dough for a first loaf. I suppose a saner person would stick to single batches from now on ;)

At first I worried about the expense, but if these last years as I expect they will, it's a bargain. All in all, a great buy.
on July 1, 2010
Love these containers - they're the perfect size for making the (6.5-cup flour) dough recipe from the book "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day." Note that they're not large enough to make a double (13-cup flour) recipe; but I don't make that much at one time.

They're dishwasher-safe, and I'm glad I bought the square containers, because they fit well in the back corner of the refrigerator. Highly recommended.

***UPDATE****January 2014: I'm happy to report that I'm still using these containers 3.5 years later - I use one in the summertime for refrigerator pickles, and use the other in the wintertime for my Artisan bread dough. They've held up extremely well, through many dishwasher cycles, and I'm still delighted with my purchase.

Instead of leaving the lid slightly ajar for the bread dough, I punched a few holes in the lid - makes for more-secure handling when lifting the bucket in & out of the refrigerator.
on January 21, 2011
I bought this set of containers so that I could use the bread-making techniques from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. The book says that you need a large container that you can seal, but isn't air-tight. These fit the bill exactly.

I've tried a bunch of the recipes from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a day and found that the six quart containers are the perfect size for the full size batch. The dough tends to rise about to the top. They work equally well for the recipes in Healthy Break in 5 Minutes a Day recipes, too.
on November 8, 2010
Bought these a few weeks ago for 5 minute bread making. So far, after several batches of dough, I am very satisfied with them. They don't hamper dough rising in any way, they are not airtight, so there is no problem with oxygen getting inside. They fit well in the refrigerator and have measuring scale in two quart increments. They are comfortable enough for the initial dough mixing. However, you need to use your hands to get the last bits of flour in the corners. I chose the square base containers over the round ones so that they fit better in the refrigerator, but I suspect that the round containers might be slightly better for dough mixing. I guess the choice between the two different shapes ultimately depends on individual preferences and needs.
on November 9, 2011
I bought my first set of these over a year ago now... We tend to cook in larger quantities (so as to handle lunch/dinners later in the week), and that keeps this set of three in constant rotation: cook -> container -> fridge -> microwave -> fridge -> dishwasher -> repeat. No discoloration, no warping, no degradation.

Highly recommended.
on April 19, 2010
Very pleased with the size and shape of these containers. I use them to store my bread dough in the refrigerator for up to a week and I am glad I bought the square ones instead of round.
on November 7, 2011
I bought these containers to make Artisan bread. They work quite nicely for that purpose and their square shape fits well into my refrigerator. One slight drawback is that when mixing the bread it is difficult to get into the corners. Cambro also makes round containers which I missed when I bought mine. I bought the round ones for my daughter and I prefer those.
on July 6, 2011
These containers work really well for food storage and prep. I've used them for marinating, bulk rising bread dough and storage for larger family dinners. They go through the dishwasher and come out just like brand new. I really like that they stack so well both for storage and in the refrigerator.