5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product
Over the past couple years, I've spent hundreds of dollars on LPG. I have also been tired of switching my Atwood LPG water heater on and off to save money, and the unit not working when it's raining. So, I decided to look into electric elements for RV gas heaters. The one here seemed to be the best one I could get for the money.

Installation was...
Published on September 17, 2010 by A. Steidl

3.0 out of 5 stars Well sorted but lacking in power
Published on July 19, 2010 by M. Schriber

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, September 17, 2010
This review is from: Camco 11673 Hot Water Hybrid Heat Kit - 6 Gallon (Automotive)

Installation was straight-forward and simple. First step: read the instructions (and take your time). The instructions were well written, and easy to read, even had illustrations, which came in handy, as I'm more of a carpenter than an electrician. I followed the instructions step by step, double-checked everything, and when I was finished, turned the unit on. It took around an hour for the water to heat up to the pre-set 120F, but once it got there, it keeps it there really well.

I do know that this unit will save me a ton of money on propane. I've had the unit switched on for a couple weeks now, continuously, with no problems or issues, just hot water.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved me a lot of money, September 30, 2009
We have a travel trailer that we purchased in order to be at a job for 10 weekends in a row. The gas water heater caught on fire, and would not work right...so I wanted to try the electric heater hybrid. It took a little time, but we really did find that it was simple to set up.

Once the thing was in place, we found that the temperature was hot has hell, and since we did not have to pay for the electricity, we are going to save a lot of money on the gas for the 10 weeks we will be hooked up.

I will say that the downside is that the light on the switch does not stay on when it is in the "on" position, which makes you think you wired things backwards. Another problem is that there is no 1800 number to call for help when there are any issues.

All and All...I would say that the company needs to market this better...cause it saved my tail a lot of money.

Electrified from Texas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to go, September 3, 2011
Jason J. Blood (Castle Rock, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This product works good. You will probably need a few extra wire connectors and some extra wire. I took one wire from the propane ignitor and taped 3 wires to it to pull it under the existing water heater without having to break any seals. I only needed 2 wires to connect it so I used the third wire to pull the original wire back through and reconnect it. At first it was slow to heat the water so I cranked up the thermostat. That was a bad idea and it blew a relief valve. After the initial heating it will heat faster. It is slower than LP gas but works good. Just give it some time. The only bad thing I found is that the wiring runs to a 3 prong 110 plugin which arent easy to access with just a 3 foot cord. So you will need an extension cord or hafta run more wires. I found some wires under my sink that werent hooked up yet so I put in a box and connected them to 110. The hardest part of this was removing the drain valve. THATS HOW IT WORKS!! The kit comes with 3 adapters to fit any tank. You remove the drain valve and insert a heating probe/element. The compression fitting makes sure it doesnt leak, plus it comes with teflon tape. I had to break the wings off the drain plug to get a socket on it. A wrench just would not work. The kit comes with diagrams which I followed backwards so that I could get the wiring laid before tapping into the tank. This made it easier to take my time doing it. If you have a full day to mess around, follow the steps. If you do not have the time, run the wires, then do the tank work. I hope this helps.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well sorted but lacking in power, July 19, 2010
This is a very well sorted kit and quite easy to install. The instructions are excellent as well. However, it is not without faults. If you've had an RV with a factory propane/electric water heater expect to be disappointed. The heating element is only 400 watts versus 1,400 watts on a factory electric integrated water heater. Warm up times are quite slow as one would expect. On my unit I also had a problem with the connectors on the heating element. They were not crimped well and came off the wires while routing them. I crimped on new connectors but it was quite inconvenient.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hybrid RV 11773 10 Gallon Hot Water Heater., October 14, 2011
I was sick of coming home after work Kamping all day to no hot water (my husband always turned it off so it wouldn't waste propane). I saw this item and thought what the heck, I will try anything! My husband told me that I just wasted more money and then told me all the reasons why it wasn't a good purchase; then he installed it.
He very rarely ever has to admit that he was wrong, but this time he had to eat his words. We saved more money in 4 months on propane to pay for this Hot Water Heater and we always had hot water when we got back to the RV!

There is no reason to buy one of those really expensive hot water heaters for your RV, this works awesome and if you are not plugged into electric you can still run your hot water off your propane. This was a great investment and I would highly recommend it to all RVers!

4.0 out of 5 stars This is awesome and I learned the technology to make a preheater system., January 16, 2012
I bought this to install in a new heater so It would last longer and heat faster due to preheated hot water. It cuts my propane cost for sure.
It is designed to cause you to loose your anode rod in your water heater, i bought a 3/4 tee and remounted the pressure relief valve on the hot out side and put the anode rod in the pressure relief valves location. Worked out, now I have a 6 gallon water heater with always at 110 degrees (i set it that low) and a 3 gallon stainless tank with 95 degree water with another heater in it, so the water comes in from outside at 55 degrees, hits tank 1, goes to 95 degrees, hits tank 2 (rv 6 galon) goes to 110 degrees. AS water flows the gas finally kicks on and instantly I have 130 degrees of non stop hot water!! So far I get 20 minute showers in a RV!!

You move the pressure relief valve to inside the RV on the Hot outlet of the water heater with a 3/4 inch tee and a few sized fittings to pipe the set up and to run a piece of heater hose out in case the pressure valve kicks off. I used a 1 inch all-thread brass 1/2 nipple to go into the heater hot outlet, a 1/2 to 3/4 brass bell to increase pipe size, a 2 inch brass 3/4 nipple to set back for the pressure relief temp rod, a 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/2 brass tee with the pressure relief threaded in the 3/4 open(long end of tee) and the rv pipe line to the hot service in the 1/2 of the tee(side of tee). My anode rod is now above where it was in the top of the heater where the pressure relief was. Works well.
You can put the pressure relief valve anywhere near the heater on the hot side if room to work is a issue. SAVE THAT ANODE it will be the saving grace of that heater.

Amazon will not allow me to upload a picture or diagram

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but has issues., September 29, 2012
I like the ability to switch heat sources from propane to electric, the price was reasonable and the item arrived ahead of schedule. there were two issues that I would like to address.
1. the heater did not work after installation. the assembler over-crimped the terminals, breaking the wires and cutting off power flow. it cost about $10.00 out of pocket to repair.
2. the heater, so far has not maintained constant hot water. We run out of hot water after about 5 minutes use.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really great idea well executed (even when you mess up like I did), June 12, 2014
We bought an old RV and the propane water heater wouldn't light, so instead of tracking down that problem, we tried this device. Installation took about an hour and worked at first, but then I caused a "dry fire" where the heater element wasn't underwater and fried itself. It was completely my fault - I didn't understand how the previous owner had connected the water-heater bypass system and I let the water tank run dry while the heater was turned on - do not do this! Anyway, Amazon sells just the heater element for dimwits like me, so I didn't have to buy a whole new kit. We've been using the heater every day for the last 2 weeks and it rocks. I have the thermostat set very high as there are no kids to worry about, and it allows us to take longer showers. Many have said the unit will pay for itself with propane savings, which may be true, but in our case it saved us having to get the heater repaired or replaced and that was probably hundreds in itself. A really fine product.

5.0 out of 5 stars great!, July 24, 2011
Took about 3 hours to install, but worth it. Went camping in upstate NY for a week set up turned it on and went grocery shopping back an hour later and it was HOT! Stayed hot all week using it for dishes and hand/face washing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Price, Got Results, June 13, 2013
My current water heater control board went out, instead of purchasing a new one for $200 now and continuing to use only propane I decided to postpone that purchase and buy and convert to this instead for less (a more permanent solution since I am full time hooked up to electric)
Installation took me 3 hours but I did a clean install (wiring inside walls, etc) but I am sure just plug and play would take less than one hour. I gave this product 4 out of 5 stars because of the wiring connectors, when I first hooked up the unit nothing worked, frustratred, I followed all the wiring to ensure I hadn't missed anything and I realized that one of the connectors which was crimped at the factory to the wire had come completely off, and as I attempted to repair this one another fell out, since I couldn't reuse the existing connectors I simply spliced the wires together, but I feel as though that was a shortfall on the manufacturer / QC people. So far water heater works flawlessly, I can take a full shower and wash dishes before water gets normal temperature and I have to wait about 30 mins for more hot water, but then again I only have 6 gallon water heater.

I recommend this product, just be careful and inspect the wiring connectors (re-crimp them upon arrival so you don't have the same situation as me)

Camco 11673 Hot Water Hybrid Heat Kit - 6 Gallon