Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

Size: 50 Amp|Style Name: Replacement Receptale|Change

on October 17, 2009
pros:
handle is REAL nice when traveling for plug/unplug frequently
yellow is easy to see, and it is VERY easy to replace plug with this one.This may seem simple and is with THIS one,but somehow others position the few parts in such a way as to make it difficult. Also some of the others have plastic housing so brittle that it tends to break in the installing process.This one will not.

con:
only 1 and that is that it will still eventually wear out due to frequent use. The plastic near the prongs becomes brittle from heat and it quits working. Keep in mind that we live in our RV 365 days a year and in all fairness it still way outlasts the others.
on October 9, 2011
The Camco 55343 RV 30 Amp female replacement receptacle seems to be very well made . . . with one exception. The instuctions indicate you should strip the wire insulation exposing the copper strands for 1". It is my believe what it does not explain is you should fold this exposed copper end in half prior to placing under the wire clamp in the housing.

Failure to do this leaves two serious issues:

The single row of copper strands of a 10 guage wire will be loose under the terminal clamps even when tightened all the way down. This can result in electrical arcing, loss of power, or damage to your electrical equipment. This is of course assuming the stress clamp was securely tightened so all the wires would not all together pull out and possibly and cause bodily injury.

If you follow the instructions exposing 1" and placing it under the clamp, it will also leave a significant amount of uninsulated wiring exposed within the housing for no purpose other than to possibly short out against one another.

Thus, the way around this concern and to have a great connection under each terminal clamp is to fold the 1" exposed copper strands in half, leaving 1/2" of copper. You will find it securely fastens under the clamp as well as has a significant amount of surface area for the electric current to pass through.

I would purchase again, but am disappointed in the poor instructions/loose design of the terminal clamps. I hope this helps.
on March 29, 2011
Having a handle attached to this plug end makes this a great product. It's a well thought out, well manufactured/designed product. This plug end was attached to the end of a twenty-five foot SOOW, 10/4 cable to be used as a jumper between an emergency generator and an electrician installed, 50A RV receptor on the side of the house next to the electric service box for easy service disconnect.

Plug ends this hefty are hard to pull out, especially if inside an all weather outlet cover box where there's little room to maneuver your hand. With the addition of the handle, the plug end is much easier to remove. This is a good thing. :)

The assembly takes a bit of time at the project table as the leads have to be cut and stripped to specific lengths specified in the directions. It's not a difficult task, but it is a bit of a time consuming pain to make sure it's measured and done right. The more care one takes in cutting and stripping the cable wires to well defined direction specs, the more easily the assembly will go.

Tip: When assembling the cable strain relief collar, add a dab of latex/siliconized caulk to the inside and outside of the strain relief collar as well as the small gap between the strain relief collar and the plug body. This will help keep snow and water out which will effectively make the plug end more water resistant. Doing so also gives the plug end a more finished look/feel. Warning: Adding the caulk in this fashion won't make the plug-end "waterproof." A cable end of this kind will be used out in the weather and considering the amps this plug-end is designed to push, "more" water resistant is a good thing; peace of mind.

I found this product to be the top dog of this group and for those with a "Prime" membership, two-day shipping is included. At current gas prices, this eliminates the need to drive to a RV or hardware store hunting for an item of this kind.
on December 13, 2009
I've only had this for a few weeks, but here are my first impressions: The plastic seems to be less "rugged" than the hard rubber plug it replaced. However, other users have indicated that it holds up well. I haven't let it "bounce" around on the pavement, like the old connector was allowed to do, as I think that the plastic casing may not hold up. The handle is a really handy idea, and I like it.
44 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2015
Great plug! I love the large handle to securely insert and remove the plug safely. I needed 50ft 6/3 cabling but I didn't want to spend $200 on the pre-made cable found here on amazon. I spent $137 for the wire else where plus what I already had and came up with what you see. They are double male ends for direct connection to my house/shop/office electric panel. Keep in mind this was replacing 460R9W ($200 receptacles) and I just can't justify spending $145 for each receptacle that I wanted installed to use with my generator in case I need it. I purchased a few Leviton 279 50 Amp to install @ each location to backfeed the premises. Thanks again amazon for offering a wonderful and well built product at a reasonable price!
review image review image
on August 21, 2009
I found this replacement to be very easy to install and well built. The built in handle is a plus. The only problem I had was with the grounding lug which had to be spread a bit as was very tight that the male plug would not fit. Trying to find this receptacle was very difficult. I tried Camping World and other RV supply stores and even a electrical contractor supply without finding it. Amazon had it along with a few other on-line stores, but it was the cheapest and with free shipping (with another item) it was the best deal I found. Quick shipping and received in excellent condition.
on June 19, 2011
This is the second Camco Replacement plug I have purchased and I am VERY pleased with this design. The first was a Male plug to replace the molded 30 amp plug on my RV Shore Power cable. The plug is big but the size give you the room you need inside to connect the heavy gauge wires (I had first tried to use a smaller, cheaper plug but found in very difficult to make the connections.) An added advantage of the bigger size is there is internal air space to help prevent the heat build up that melted the original plug. My wife loves the handle. I bought the female plug to convert a spare 30 amp cable into an extension for the RV. Installation was easy and the design of the connectors make it easy to hook up the wires. Well designed product.
on January 7, 2013
It was very easy to wire and the large handle makes it simple to plug and unplug. I find myself wishing all plugs had the handle on the back.

Seems durable enough. After 2 years it is still working great.

I am glad I purchased it.
on February 28, 2013
I bought this to make up a custom cord to plug in my trailer to my generator (already had the other end of the cord). This end is nice and sturdy and has that wonderful handle on it. The handle makes it a breeze to disconnect. I plan on buying more when I rebuild some other cords.

The only reason this got 4 and not 5 starts is that it doesn't appear to be very water resistant. I'm not saying I expect something that could operate under water, but it looks like this thing could get soaked to the bone with just a light rain. I'll probably try a bunch of chalking when do the other ends (and maybe even redo this one).
on March 11, 2013
I was looking for a option to create a 220 volt extension cord. This male end is super heavy duty and the handle is a great addition allowing ease of plugging/unplugging. Extension cords capable of carrying 220 volts are heavy and cumbersome. The handle is the trick in this case. I used 10 ga solid copper wire which made wireing a little difficult but the final product will carry the necessary current. Here's a suggestion, the instructions are not too clear on attaching wire to terminals. I ended up carefully cutting wire to correct length, stripping off about 1" of insulation, and bending wire in a 'U.' Then attach to terminal. Worked nice.