4.0 out of 5 stars Almost excellent . . .
The Camco 55343 RV 30 Amp female replacement receptacle seems to be very well made . . . with one exception. The instuctions indicate you should strip the wire insulation exposing the copper strands for 1". It is my believe what it does not explain is you should fold this exposed copper end in half prior to placing under the wire clamp in the housing.

Failure...
Published on October 9, 2011 by Summer Campr

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job !
Just like I said it did the job, but made very cheap. I am a licenced electrician and I see lots of cord caps this one does`nt seem like it will last to long. The price was a little high for plastic made in China. But it works for now !
Published 6 months ago by MoparBob

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost excellent . . ., October 9, 2011

Failure to do this leaves two serious issues:

The single row of copper strands of a 10 guage wire will be loose under the terminal clamps even when tightened all the way down. This can result in electrical arcing, loss of power, or damage to your electrical equipment. This is of course assuming the stress clamp was securely tightened so all the wires would not all together pull out and possibly and cause bodily injury.

If you follow the instructions exposing 1" and placing it under the clamp, it will also leave a significant amount of uninsulated wiring exposed within the housing for no purpose other than to possibly short out against one another.

Thus, the way around this concern and to have a great connection under each terminal clamp is to fold the 1" exposed copper strands in half, leaving 1/2" of copper. You will find it securely fastens under the clamp as well as has a significant amount of surface area for the electric current to pass through.

I would purchase again, but am disappointed in the poor instructions/loose design of the terminal clamps. I hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Camco 55358 RV 50 Amp Female Replacement Receptacle, August 21, 2009
This review is from: Camco 55353 50 AMP Female Replacement Receptacle (Automotive)
I found this replacement to be very easy to install and well built. The built in handle is a plus. The only problem I had was with the grounding lug which had to be spread a bit as was very tight that the male plug would not fit. Trying to find this receptacle was very difficult. I tried Camping World and other RV supply stores and even a electrical contractor supply without finding it. Amazon had it along with a few other on-line stores, but it was the cheapest and with free shipping (with another item) it was the best deal I found. Quick shipping and received in excellent condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nifty Design, June 19, 2011
This is the second Camco Replacement plug I have purchased and I am VERY pleased with this design. The first was a Male plug to replace the molded 30 amp plug on my RV Shore Power cable. The plug is big but the size give you the room you need inside to connect the heavy gauge wires (I had first tried to use a smaller, cheaper plug but found in very difficult to make the connections.) An added advantage of the bigger size is there is internal air space to help prevent the heat build up that melted the original plug. My wife loves the handle. I bought the female plug to convert a spare 30 amp cable into an extension for the RV. Installation was easy and the design of the connectors make it easy to hook up the wires. Well designed product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Camco 55343 RV 30 Amp Female Replacement Receptacle, July 27, 2010
Mark (Maryland, USA) - See all my reviews
After looking at the available 30 amp RV male and female plugs at Lowe's and Home Depot, these are undoubtedly the best you will find. For active use in an an RV where you are plugging in and out, the handle on these receptacles makes sure you don't place any strain on the cable itself. I recently replaced the male plug on my RV which had been showing signs of wear. The instructions that came with the receptacle included the lengths to cut and strip each wire --black, white, and green. Following these instructions made sure that only enough of each wire was stripped and was the proper length. Once the receptacle was re-assembled, it looked like I had purchased and custom plug for the RV. I'd recommend you have a wire stripper that can strip 10 gauge (30 amp) wire and a good size wire cutter to cut the 30 amp cable. Those plus a standard screwdriver will do the job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy installation., January 25, 2013
I've used this item before and it's by far the easiest to install on my 30 amp extention cord. I've used other brands in the past and the installation was a struggle. There is plenty of room inside the receptacle for easy wiring. I won't use any other!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and sturdy and wonderful handle, February 28, 2013
I bought this to make up a custom cord to plug in my trailer to my generator (already had the other end of the cord). This end is nice and sturdy and has that wonderful handle on it. The handle makes it a breeze to disconnect. I plan on buying more when I rebuild some other cords.

The only reason this got 4 and not 5 starts is that it doesn't appear to be very water resistant. I'm not saying I expect something that could operate under water, but it looks like this thing could get soaked to the bone with just a light rain. I'll probably try a bunch of chalking when do the other ends (and maybe even redo this one).

5.0 out of 5 stars Received Today, January 15, 2013
Received my order today. Came much faster then I thought it would. It is exactly what I wanted & the price was right even though I think the freight is a bit high. However, I am happy with the way the order was packaged & shipped in a timely fashion.

Reg

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it is supposed to, January 7, 2013
Dr. Z (Gig Harbor, WA USA) - See all my reviews
It was very easy to wire and the large handle makes it simple to plug and unplug.

Seems durable enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Female 50 Amp RV Cable Plug, November 30, 2012
We live in our RV full-time and there are times when the standard cord is just not long enough. Bought this to make up a 25 ft extension cord. Also purchased the male plug for the other end. Worked out great.

5.0 out of 5 stars female receptacle, November 25, 2012
Eddie Breum (LAUREL, MT, US) - See all my reviews
I bought this unit because of the name, as well quality of Camco, along with the fact that it was an effort to find this piece, locally and on the internet.

Camco 55353 50 AMP Female Replacement Receptacle