Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: VHS Tape|Change
Price:$32.45+ $3.99 shipping

on November 1, 2003
This is one film that I wish was still aired during the holiday season.
Mickey Rooney stars as Mike Halligan, a loveable, devoted grandfather to Scott Grimes who plays Robbie Westin. Robbie and Mike are extremely close and are looking forward to spending the holiday season together. When Mike suffers a fatal heart attack, Christmas joy suddenly turns to Christmas sorrow, devastating Mike's daughter (Robbie's mom), Robbie and the rest of the Westin family.
As Mike arrives in Heaven (a very short montage), he asks for a second chance at life, because he has promised Robbie that they would go to New York for Christmas. An angel gives Mike an assignment that allows him to return to Earth, but for only a short time. Robbie accepts and welcomes Mike's second chance at life and Mike and Robbie take off for New York without the rest of Robbie's family knowing it, which sends the family into a confused, astonished dash for New York in search of their son.
The real impact of the movie comes when Mike and Robbie arrive in New York. Annie Potts (Ghostbusters, Pretty in Pink, Designing Women) who plays Cindy Mills, a news reporter, sets out on assignment to find the true meaning of Christmas in New York, and is left empty-handed and wondering what has happened to Christmas. Mike and Robbie, in the triumphant conclusion, help her and many other New Yorkers re-discover the meaning of Christmas. The ending is quite a tear-jerker as Mike and Robbie are reunited with their family on Christmas Eve.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clear is a family film. It sends that warm feeling through you that causes you to appreciate your family and the memories that come with each Christmas. Although this movie is not aired on television anymore (obviously because of it's family values), I still recommend that you search for it in the dusty holiday corner of your local video store. It really brings the holidays right to you, and may become a holiday viewing tradition.
33 comments|72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2005
How sad that such a wonderful movie should be so hard to find, or that you would have to pay up to $99.00 for a used VHS in order to be able to bring enjoyment to your home at Christmas time, I debate paying this every year I go online to see if it has been released. There is a Mickey Rooney Website that takes feedback and I wrote strong comments about them releasing this movie again. I don't know what it can do, but maybe something. If I hear anything positive from that I will email you all that love this movie as much as me. Happy Holidays!
33 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2004
I remember watching this movie when I was about 7 years old around Christmas time. For the next few Christmases, I would check the TV guide to find out when it would be on again. Sadly, I don't think this movie has aired since the 80s. This is a truly wonderful, heartwarming story that really captures true Christmas spirit, which I feel is lacking in most modern Christmas movies.

Young Robbie's grandfather (Mickey Rooney) has promised to show him Christmas time in NYC. Grandfather dies shortly before they are to leave for their trip...but heaven gives him a second chance to take his grandson to NYC.

Now I am almost 30 and I still check the TV listings every year just in case it airs. It never does, so I am going to purchase the VHS .

I recommend this underated movie for anyone who loves Christmas.
on December 3, 2004
My mother and I both love this movie and wish it would either air again on TV, or come out for purchase on DVD. It is a sweet Christmas movie that brings the real meaning of Christmas to light. Mickey Rooney is great in it! I just wish it was available again!!!
on August 8, 2006
This has to be one of my all time favorite holiday movies, I still have the vhs tape I purchased when I was 10 yrs. old I am
now 31. They really should release this movie on dvd. This
movie is a family favorite, has been for some time now. I watch
it every Christmas....i found a website that offers this movie on dvd!! I recently ordered it, waiting patiently for it to arrive...it was around $18.00 and that included the s&h. The website is raredvd.com:)
on December 13, 2006
I really love this movie, I taped it off of tv, and when we moved, somehow I no longer have it. I would really love to have it on

DVD. This movie should come back to TV. It is truly a wonderful

family movie that everyone can enjoy.
on December 18, 2007
I agree with all these other reviews, that this movie should be aired every year. I have strong, fond memories of being at my grandmother's house on Christmas Day and watching this with my family. It was an annual tradition until one year we realized it wasn't aired any more. With all the cheesy, uninspired TV movies that are playing around the clock this holiday, why not put a real, family-values style holiday movie back on the air? There was a place to show this back in the '80s when most of us had three channels. You can't tell me there isn't room on the hundreds of channels we have now. If a movie I remember from childhood has such a lasting impression on me today, aren't today's viewers missing out? Bring this back to the airwaves, or at least release it on DVD for this generation.
on January 2, 2007
This is such a wonderful film! I don't know why it isn't shown on TV anymore, but it is a true classic -- as good, or better than It's a Great Life, A Christmas Carol, or A Christmas Story. And contrary to the films mentioned, It Came Upon the Midnight Clear can appeal to all audiences. And Mickey Rooney is great! A film such as this should be shown each year during the Christmas season. I am so happy that I have a copy from many years ago.
on December 10, 2008
I absolutely love this movie. I am lucky enough to have it on VHS and watch it every Christmas without fail (and every Christmas I cry over the ending!). I check every year to see if it has been released on DVD, but I'm sad to see it's still not available.

I agree with all the reviews that said if you love Christmas movies, you will love this one!
on December 5, 2012
I have to admit to not being a big Mickey Rooney fan but I used to watch this when it first came out years ago and enjoying it so when I saw it for sale I decided to order it since they never play it anymore. We watched it the night it came in and while the VHS is not the best picture the film was fun to watch and just as good as I remembered it. The plot is pure fantasy but it is a Christmas movie so what else could it be. Mickey is the grandfather to the kid and has promised to take him to New York to see what a real Christmas is like, I said it was a fantasy right. Mick dies before the trip but is sent back to earth from heaven to find the spirit of Christmas who is missing in NYC. It plays out well and there are some good supporting players to help with the story. Interesting side note for me is the child who plays the grandson is Scott Grimes who is a pretty good singer/actor today and gave such a great performance in Band of Brothers as Malarky.