Color Name: CarbonSize Name: 21 Ounce
OK, I admit I was hooked by the marketing lingo of this water bottle. It's called the "Podium Chill" and is hyped as being able to keep water cooler up to 2 times longer than a standard water bottle. I had visions of grabbing my water bottle in 90 degree heat after 3 hours of cycling in the hot sun and having a big gulp of ice-cold water.

Well I was surprised to find out that the Podium Chill largely lives up to it's hype. It kept water colder for a solid 2 hours in 90 degree, sunny heat.

It's relatively light in weight. It's got a virtually spill-proof top which I like a lot. You can use the "lockout" lever to completely close off the tip so no water will come out whether it's tipped or squeezed. But when you disengage the lockout, it still doesn't drip or leak if tipped over unless you squeeze the bottle thanks to the self-sealing jet-valve. You can squeeze the bottle to get a jet stream of water or you can simply tip the bottle and sip from it.

The wide mouth is nice because it's easy to fill, easy to clean and easily accepts ice cubes.

I got several of these Podium Chill bottles to keep my water cooler for longer while cycling. I use them for their useful jet-valve and wide mouth opening and for keeping my water colder for longer.

By the way, I'm sure the water would stay cooler for an even longer period of time if you were using this inside, out of direct sunlight whether in a gym or in your house.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 30, 2011
Color Name: CarbonSize Name: 21 OunceVerified Purchase
This is a good bottle that works well, is light, and doesn't give water a bad taste. It will keep your drinks cooler, about 2x longer, BUT this bottle looks very much like the much better podium ice which will keep your drink cooler 4x longer. So in other words, this bottle is only half as good as the podium ice, so don't get confused (like I did) and think you are getting the really good bottle. At the time of this review you won't find that one carried by amazon, and you won't find a prime option either.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 16, 2011
Color Name: Race EditionSize Name: 21 OunceVerified Purchase
This bottle is very sleek and attractive. all the prints are on the 'chill layer,' not on the exterior of the bottle, so i know they won't peel off from washing it numerous times.
speaking of the functional aspect, the bottle is easy to squeeze, the "always open, always closed" spout is nice because all you have to do is to squeeze the bottle to get the water out because it's "always open" and yet the water does not leak through the spout even if you hold the bottle upside down because it's "always closed" as long as you don't squeeze the bottle. This feature is something that Polar bottles do not have. This bottle is also easier to clean than Polar bottles because the less contoured design. Overall, I am very satisfied with the switch I made.
on June 27, 2012
Verified Purchase
I bought one of these bottles to test it out, and love it. I had been using a plain plastic bottle to go cycling with, and had to load up on ice to keep it cold for 30 minutes in the heat. This bottle is FANTASTIC at insulating. I kept track of how "cold" it kept my water while I went out on cycling rides:

-95 degrees: put in 4 ice cubes, water was below what i'd consider room temperature for an hour and a half, and was mostly in direct sunlight. Impressive

-70 degrees: put in 3 ice cubes, water was pretty cold even after my 2 and a half hour ride

-80 degrees: put in 4 ice cubes, water remained what i'd call below room temperature for 3 hours

Excellent bottle. Bought another to bring along
on May 6, 2011
Color Name: Racing RedSize Name: 21 OunceVerified Purchase
i'm in a wheelchair and use this bottle around the house so i can carry a drink without spilling it. It works well, i have not had any spills.
on January 6, 2014
Color Name: CarbonSize Name: 21 Ounce
I've owned a lot of water bottles in my time and this is one of the best. It does not leak and it keeps the water reasonably cool (I live in florida) over a long bike ride.I always have two of these on my bike.

It's still a good bottle for non-cyclists. The sip mechanism does not leak and it's easy to drink water out of it (no need to bite down on a valve or flip anything up). The bottle also has a "lock" option on the top cap to prevent water from coming out in case you need to put the bottle in a bag/gym bag/etc and are worried about it leaking from getting accidentally squeezed.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 26, 2014
Color Name: CarbonSize Name: 21 Ounce
I got a couple of these after catching them at a decent price of 10 bucks each for use when I am mountain biking and hiking. These Camelbak's are by far the best water bottles I have used. These come with a locking valve that doesn't leak even when you forget to lock it, even upside down, and only squirt water when you squeeze it. Even after using these for a while now, they do not drip or leak at all. These have great insulation and keep your cold drinks cool even on hot hiking or biking days. It is the right size for my mountain bike carrier and fits most carriers with no issues. With the exception of cleaning the mouth valve, this cleans fairly easily.

Overall, this is my go to water bottle for all my outdoor activities, it has held up to being bumped and dropped and still has no leaks or drips. A great water bottle.
on March 1, 2014
Color Name: CarbonSize Name: 21 OunceVerified Purchase
I ordered both the Podium Chill and Podium Big Chill for my new bike. I have a small frame so I wasn't able to fit two of the big versions. The 21oz version is 9.5" tall and 25oz version is just under 10.75" tall.

Both sizes fit my Ibera bottle cages great, although this 21oz version is a bit of a tighter fit than the big chill is. It takes more effort to fit it into the cage; which the big chill fits in perfectly. It's possibly a little bit wider at the base, even though it doesn't look like it.

I've tested both sizes and neither of them leak. I can tilt them upside down and shake them and nothing comes out, unless I have them unlocked and I squeeze the bottle while shaking.

I'm able to squeeze the bottle at quite a distance from my mouth without making a mess, and after letting go of the squeeze the water flow doesn't drip down onto my shirt or anything. It all makes it to my mouth and then stops. Good deal! :)
Verified Purchase
I have lots of different water bottles, but none really worked well when I wanted to take a drink while running on the treadmill or running outside without stopping. Either it was a little difficult to get the liquid to come out while I was running quickly, or else some liquid would spill or drip from the bottle once I finished drinking. Then I discovered this product and can now drink to my heart's content on the treadmill or outside no matter how fast I am running. Here's why I like this.

1. It's very easy to squeeze liquid out of this bottle, and just the right amount comes out.

2. There is absolutely no dripping when I finish drinking. And if I have some liquid left over when I finish running, there's no worry about anything leaking out into my gym bag.

3. This has a knob on top that can be turned to the drinking position or locked position. But even in the drinking position no liquid will come out even when this bottle is turned upside down unless you squeeze it. As a practical matter I never bother with the locked position, though it's nice to know it's available.

4. I don't think this has any better insulation than my 24 oz. narrow mouth steel insulated Hydro flask, which I have used with a sports top when I run outside. But the Camelbak definitely is much easier to use because I can just squeeze it without having to first open s sports top, and unlike a sports top, which will leak unless you close the drinking valve when finished, there is nothing to close on this product. I now bring it to the gym and use it outside all the time.

5. This nicely fits in different water carriers when I run with it outside. Ditto for the water bottle carrier on my bicycle.

6. The red color cost a few extra dollars, but it looks great and was worth it to me.

7. This cleans easily and leaves no aftertaste of any kind.

8. The wide mouth makes it easy to fill and also to use ice cubes. Although I usually go through two quarts of Gatorade G2 when I run at the gym, I only need one of these bottles for the gym since it takes just seconds to refill from my Gatorade supply.

9. Unlike a steel water bottle, I don't have to worry about denting or scratching this if I drop it.

Bottom line: A very effective bottle for cold liquids.

Update January 19, 2014: I recently put this bottle's ability to keep liquid cool to the test during a recent vacation in Mexico where I ran outside each day in hot and humid weather. This definitely kept my water cool. I also took it with me to the beach and deliberately left it in the hot sun to see what would happen. Guess what. The water still stayed cold.

This is my new favorite water bottle for running, biking, the beach and anyplace else that I need cold water.
on September 21, 2013
Color Name: Racing RedSize Name: 21 OunceVerified Purchase
my bottle was leaking for some odd reason, no matter how tight i screwed the cap on. I don't notice much insulation either, cold drink in bottle and after 30 minutes the drink is warm...wouldn't recommend.

See 1 answered question