5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough Review from a Long-Term CamelBak User
Here is a little background information-
Published on May 28, 2012 by doctorrads

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaks!
Published 23 months ago by Sara

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough Review from a Long-Term CamelBak User, May 28, 2012
Here is a little background information-
For several years now, I have been using the Camelbak better bottles with bite valves (previous version of the Eddy). I use them everyday and take them practically everywhere I go. The no-tilt, spill-proof design has made drinking water effortless and convenient. Needless to say, they pay for themselves in a matter of weeks. Every friend or family member that has tried a Camelbak bottle has also fallen in love!

There are 2 major complaints I have with the older version:
1. Two of my bottles with a blue bite valve have limited, slow flow.
2. The flip plastic piece is prone to breakage. I broke one by dropping it in the parking garage from arms length. (Luckily, Camelbak will kindly and promptly send you a new cap if this does happen with no questions asked - their customer service is awesome, and they stick by their lifetime guarantee!)

The new Eddy bottle fixes both of these issues:
1. The new bite valve and wider straw allow for a smoother, faster flow and make thirsty drinkers like me very happy.
2. The flip mechanism is now made of rubber meaning you can throw this bottle pretty much against anything without breaking any part.

Now, I will address the other negative reviews-
As the original Camelbak water bottle had so many passionate users, it is natural for this new version to be criticized for minor changes. When you first get the bottle, opening and closing the bite valve may feel stiff and require a little more force. However, it loosens up after you break it in with use for a few days or so. Now, I can easily open it with one hand, one finger. Also, when you first get the bottle, make sure the slit in the bite valve is open - a gentle squeeze will do the trick if it is not already open. Biting the valve to drink may initially feel awkward, but you will soon realize it actually encourages you to drink more water.
As for your fingers touching the bite valve, it does so ever so slightly depending on how you open the bite valve and only touches the very bottom of the bite valve where your mouth does not normally touch. The mold issue within the bite valve may happen if you neglect to clean your water bottle for long periods of time, but the straw and rubber bite valve do both snap off for easier cleaning. The top or bottom dishwasher rack is fine for the bottle itself, but I do recommend hand cleaning the cap and bite valve whenever possible.

Please note that the bottle may be larger than many cup holders. Per my measurements, the bottom of the 0.75 liter bottle is 3 inches (7.6cm) wide and the bottom of the 1 liter bottle is 3.375 inches (8.6cm) wide. I don't own the 0.6 liter bottle. The overall shape of both bottles is sleek and easy to grasp with one hand or conveniently carry with a finger through the loop in the cap. Also, both bottles can be comfortably held and flipped open with one hand, although those with smaller hands may prefer the 0.75 liter bottle, which is also more likely to fit into car cup holders.

Although the Amazon.com description does not state it, these are 100% BPA-free just like the older Camelbak bottles!

I rarely write reviews for products, but Camelbak water bottles are one of the best purchases I have ever made. If you are looking for a new water bottle, want to drink more water, or just want to be more environmentally conscious, I highly recommend you try this bottle. You will certainly not be disappointed with the high quality, practically indestructible construction. Plus, the sizes and color options on Amazon cannot be beat. I now have 3 of these Eddy bottles and will update the review over time after I see how they hold up.

08/01/2012 UPDATE:
I have now used the Eddy bottles for 2 months. They have gone everywhere with me and been dropped countless times but still look and work great. One note is that putting the cap and bite valve in the dishwasher may loosen the the flip mechanism, although it still snaps in place and is still 100% functional - I recommend hand washing these parts if you think this may bother you. When reassembling, push the straw all the way into the cap, or it may touch the bottom of the bottle and limit flow.

03/01/2013 UPDATE:
After 9 months, I am still very happy with my purchase. When the bite valve or spout in the cap need scrubbing, I have found that cotton q-tips or mini-cleaning brushes used for baby bottles work well. Make sure not to push the cleaning tool through the bite valve slit, as this can loosen it and result in leaks. If you do need to replace the bite valve, Amazon conveniently sells 2 Groove Bite Valves (same as the Eddy bite valves) for $6 with free shipping. If there is something wrong, it is also easy to replace it through Camelbak by simply filling out an online request form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the "Better" Bottle, June 8, 2012
This review is from: CamelBak eddy .6L Clear 53354 (Sports)
After trying dozens of other reusable bottles my wife and I tried out the Camelbak "Better Bottle" (750 ml) and fell in love with it about three years ago. We use them everyday, at work, the gym and everywhere in between. After considerable abuse the spout caps broke and the spout connectors had come unhinged so we needed new bottles. We were a bit hesitant but liked the way the design looked for the new Camelbak "Eddy" (750 ml). Verdict: The Eddy is better than the Better bottle.

Pros:

- Spout cap is now fully covered and integrated as part of the removable rubber bite valve cover which protects it from being damaged. Great idea to protect the integrity of the spout and it also works to protect things the bottle may knock into. The Better Bottle's cap end, which you use to flip the spout open was exposed and made of hard plastic...needless to say the thing was just begging to be chipped or broken with every drop or fumble. Great upgrade!
- Bottle tops are a little more sleek-looking and the plastic seems to be a bit softer and more supple. Again, a bonus for when (not if) you drop this thing. You likely will not damage it, but when it is full it is pretty hefty. Softer plastic may save it from damaging whatever it hits.
- The plastic straw is bigger, meaning it is wider and can draw more fluid in. Much needed upgrade. My biggest complaint with the Better Bottle was that you would have to work a little too hard to draw fluid up, especially during workouts when you are really thirsty and want water fast. The bigger straw is a big bonus.
- Bottle top seems to be a better (tighter) fit. We had some issues with the Better Bottles leaking when not screwed on SUPER tight. That may have been from washing and use, but the tops on the Eddy seem to be a easier and tighter fit.
- Camelbak guarantees the product for life. I doubt I will have to test their policy out, but that should make you feel confident in this purchase.

Cons:

- The bottle top for the Eddy, like the Better Bottle, has little nooks and crannies where mold will grow if you don't wash religiously. It will also grow in the straw pretty easily. You just can't stick it in the dishwasher and guarantee that you get it all clean. You pretty much have to use a small brush to get in there and get the mold out. I recommend getting the cheapest brushes you can find, not the overpriced Camelbak kit (we actually use our daughter's baby bottle brushes). Also, the Camelbak cleaning tabs, while super convenient, are also a waste of money. Just get a big generic bottle of distilled white vinegar, mix it at a three-to-one parts ratio of water to vinegar and use that solution to sanitize it and clean out the mold. We try to soak the bottle in the solution once a month or so for a few hours, brush clean all the parts with the solution, and then drop it all in the dishwasher to get the solution (and its horrible taste and smell) off. We just drop them in the dishwasher once a week for routine maintenance without using the solution for a quick clean.
- The Eddy on Amazon is a bit overpriced. We bought our first two Eddy bottles at $15 a pop with free Prime shipping. Not bad, but we found a better deal with free shipping (not two day, but close) online and got three more Eddy bottles for $12 a pop.
- Amazon is listing the 750ml Eddy as a "Kid's" bottle...its not the Kid-sized version. Also, many of the pictures don't match up with the actual product you are getting on Amazon's site. Just do a little research and you should be fine.

That's it. Great product for you and the environment. Probably the best $15 you will ever spend as it will probably pay for itself in month or two.

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaks!, July 23, 2012
This review is from: CamelBak eddy .6L Clear 53354 (Sports)
I am on my fourth camelbak bottle in the last year or so. I don't know why I keep buying, this will be the last one. I like the design and the drinking spout. The last two I've bought have had a leak in the top within a week or two of the purchase. I have to always carry it upright or water will spill out. I can't put it in my purse, or things will get wet. I think the leak is coming from the seam where the lid connects. Also the plastic connector to the rubber spout broke on the first two bottles I had, leaving the rubber piece to be wobbling and leaky. Haven't had that issue with this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Top is made of two pieces where mold grows, November 1, 2012
This review is from: CamelBak eddy .6L Clear 53354 (Sports)
I have been using these bottles for a couple of years now and just now realized this. The top is made of two pieces held together by a screw with a security torx head, who has one of those at home, guess I need to go the store to get one. This top piece started leaking on me and when I pried up the edge and looked inside I saw bits of food and mold inside. Unless you want to unscrew and disassemble your bottle top every time you wash it Id recommend against this bottle until they fix this issue or make it easier to take apart.

I had the though tot take it apart after I buy the torx driver and hot glue the edges so they are sealed, but if you look at the straw section, that too is open to the gap between the top pieces. Im gonna be throwing mine away if taking it apart is too much of a PITA.

BTW I DO wash this thing every day in the dishwasher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bottle, July 23, 2012
This review is from: CamelBak eddy .6L Clear 53354 (Sports)
When I got the bottle I was so excited to use it! I washed it and put the lid on and tried to take a drink. Nothing came out! I got back on my computer thinking that this may be normal and I may have to cut the valve to get it to work the first time. I found nothing of the sort on the website or reviews.

I called Camelbak customer service and asked about it. Dan was very helpful and explained that they had had a few issues with the bite valves. He said he would go over and have warranty ship me a replacement valve. He then suggested that I take a knife and run it along the bite valve to see if it would open it up. I did so, and everything seems to work great now! The only problem is the valve seems to leak a little bit when turned over (which I assumed would probably happen once I cut it considering it may not be a clean cut).

I love my new water bottle, and am excited to use it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the Moldy Straw, December 5, 2013
chibiji (los angeles, ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CamelBak eddy .6L Clear 53354 (Sports)
Bought one of these and had the horrible experience of getting mold particles on the straw after washing and letting it out to dry. Not keen on the idea of having to purchase replacement straws on a frequent basis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Bottle!, December 3, 2013
This review is from: CamelBak eddy .6L Clear 53354 (Sports)
I absolutely LOVE my Camel Bak! I literally take it with me wherever I go. It's easy to travel with in the car, next to my bed, to the gym, or even put it in my large purse if I need to take it elsewhere. The holder can easily attach to a clip if you're hiking or doing other outdoor activities. It's convenient, travel-friendly, and the best money I've ever spent!

PROS:
- Easy to use bite valve that prevents spilling. You can turn this bottle every which way, and the seal keeps everything inside in place. It is totally convenient and spill-proof!
- Reuseable! No more damaging the environment, or wasting your money on plastic throw away bottles. You can throw this in the dishwasher (bottle only) and soak the cap in a bleach solution to disinfect and re-use endlessly.
- Durable. I've dropped my bottle everywhere, and aside from a few scratches, it has never broken.

CONS:
- I have to clean the bite valve regularly. Water tends to gather there and grow bacteria. YUCK! I wish replacement valves were more easy to access, and that the entire thing was dishwasher safe.

5.0 out of 5 stars I just got mine!, June 6, 2014
This review is from: CamelBak eddy .6L Clear 53354 (Sports)
I love it! I keep it in the office and it's a constant reminder to keep drinking water. It's a great way to lose weight. drink water, eliminate soda!

3.0 out of 5 stars Family divided over this water bottle, June 4, 2014
This review is from: CamelBak eddy .6L Clear 53354 (Sports)
I love camelbak in general, but this water bottle is not our family favorite. The only reason we don't like it is because you really have to bite down in order to open it up to get the water to flow. And no matter how hard you bite it, it doesn't have enough flow for us.

One son likes it, the rest of us would prefer a bottle you didn't have to work so hard to get the water.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect water bottle!, March 7, 2014
This review is from: CamelBak eddy .6L Clear 53354 (Sports)
I ordered 2 of these so I can have 1 at work and 1 at home in hopes to stay hydrated better.
I honestly don't think I have anything negative to say about this water bottle. If you've never used a water source that requires you to bite it in order to drink out of it, you might be annoyed at first.. but your jaw muscles will get use to it in no time.

1 of the bottles I did have to poke a knife into the 'bite piece' because it wouldn't open on it's own.. so just a heads up there. However that's nothing to complain about.

CamelBak eddy .6L Clear 53354