5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect family tablet!
I bought this tablet for my son for his birthday, and I couldn't be happier with it!

Here's what I love:

* 4GB Storage plus an expandable MicroSD slot
* Tablet changes into your favorite character with app card and bumper kit
* Features rear and front cameras
* Parental control capability

Make no mistake about this product... this product...
Published 11 months ago by Dianne Socci-Tetro

3.0 out of 5 stars A Child's First Tablet, September 28, 2013
From the product description:

* Full fledged 7-Inch Android Tablet display with 1024x600 Pixels
* 4GB Storage plus an expandable MicroSD slot
* Tablet changes into your favorite character with app card and bumper kit
* Features rear and front cameras
* Parental control capability

Make no mistake about this product... this product is *really* geared for the very young crowd, and I can see that it is a good product to be a child's first tablet. There are a lot of educational games loaded on it and for an extra cost you can dress it up in several different ways that will make each child sharing this, happy - but you poorer! The parental controls are strong.

However, it is something that adults can use too if they do not mind all the constraints.

It is easy to set up and it is mostly intuitive for anything else you need to do.

CONS ----------->

It is slow, slow, slow. Installing anything that isn't already installed, can take hours and the Camilio can and will freeze up when down-loading.

Wi-Fi is sporadic no matter what your other Wi-Fi products tell you. I had a very strong signal on my Kindle Fire, my phone and my net-book; they all opened no problems - but the Camelio kept telling me I had no inter-net connection. What can I say? It can take quite a while to connect

The battery does not retain a charge for more than 4 hours while the product is being used.

It heats up fast, but not to a worrisome temperature. I noticed that the back cover got very warm if left on a table on top of a magazine for an hour or so. Moreover, this is while it was off.

This is the worst, and biggest drawback for me - the colors used and the contrast of them (Pale color back-grounds with only slightly darker colored letters --- I cannot find a way to change this) are such that it is *extremely* difficult to read anything that has already been down-loaded, so that took care of most of what an adult would use this for.

Watching to see that revolving circle that lets you know a page is loading is impossible. (And the page usually times out and these are the apps that are already loaded in here.)

The camera's make it easy to take selfies, film videos etc IF you can figure out how to use them.

No matter what button you push, such as the "always" button -the Camelio is ALWAYS going to ask what browser you want to use -I find this annoying, but I can live with it.

You had better be a huge Google fan; it is dominated by Google apps. Among other things

I didn't find the camera to be intuitive to use. I found them difficult at best to use. As a matter of fact after 3 days I still can't figure out how to switch them from taking self portraits to taking regular pictures.
There is no info in the user's guide about the camera's use and there is no information on their web-site or the down-loaded owner's manual.

PROS----------------------->

Inexpensive for what you CAN do with this.
For a kid, it is a thrill to have a tablet just like Mom or Dad. This could be a good way to go.

It is great for a serious reader. It is cheaper to down-load a Kindle app and use this for reading, although an app. really ca not do what the real thing can.

I liked being able to use the sound bar to turn pages while I was reading - this was unique.

It is light, slim and difficult to destroy (I tried).

Getting help with anything was less than useful. Using the manuals, whether the down-loaded one or the written one is only helpful to set up your Google account and to learn how to buy and install the theme packs.

So, all in all you pretty much get what you pay for - a childs first tablet - difficult to destroy, educational and fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect family tablet!, November 12, 2013

Here's what I love:

1. The entire tablet can be "skinned" to be whichever character you choose (!!!). I bought the Hot Wheels Personality Pack Camelio Tablet Hot Wheels Accessory Pack (ACC-CAM84) It is an awesome Hot Wheels case (gel and a hard case, so it definitely is shock-absorbing), but what's even better is how the tablet changes on the inside. The main screen is a Hot Wheels screen, the address book is Hot Wheels, the camera is Hot Wheels, etc! Side note on the camera -- the camera app also has Hot Wheels frames and "clip art," so my son took a picture of himself with his sister and added the Hot Wheels logo and a few stickers/"clip art" things -- he thought it was the coolest thing ever!

2. It is an Android tablet with Google Play Store. A lot of tablets that are on the market for kids don't have the Google Play Store and you can only add apps that are available in their own store. The problem that I have with that is the prices are insane because it is a monopoly and they don't have everything my kids want. I downloaded a couple of apps that my son loves playing on my iPad, and he loves it -- honestly he loves it even more than the iPad since it is his own tablet with Hot Wheels :)

3. It comes with a bunch of apps already. Moment of mom honesty -- I was having a crazy day on his birthday and unfortunately barely had time to stop and celebrate with him... the last thing I needed was to be stuck trying to configure it. It was ready to go right out of the box, which was a lifesaver for me. For example, MeeGenius is a very cool app that it comes with which helps kids learn to read and he loves that too!

4. Parental Controls were a cinch to set up! I chose what I wanted him to have access to and he isn't the wiser :) I haven't found any apps on it where I can limit how much time he can spend on the tablet, but to be honest, I think parents who need technology to monitor their kids using technology need to get off their cell phones and engage with their kids. Just tell your child to put it down and play a game with you!

5. BEST OF ALL: I'm buying my daughter the My Little Pony Personality Pack for Christmas and the two of them can SHARE the tablet! It says it can have up to 5 different "themes" -- I haven't tested this yet, but it seems very easy to add another character and they both will get to play (and even learn) on the tablet with their favorite character. Camelio Tablet My Little Pony Accessory Pack (ACC-CAM57)

Overall, I could not be happier with my purchase. Kids love it, they can share it, it is an excellent value (especially considering that it is a tablet, not a toy). It has great wifi, 2 cameras, Google Play Store, great "touch screen" -- everything I wanted and I'm shocked I could get for the price. Highly recommend!

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute JUNK!!!, January 20, 2014
This review is from: Camelio CAM740 7-Inch 1 GB Tablet (Personal Computers)
I bought two of these from a local store for Christmas gifts and have had nothing but problems with them. They were great the first day. I had them all charged and ready to go.

The first one was all setup and my son (6 yrs.) was having a great time using it Christmas day. He brought it to me the next day saying it had lines on screen. When I looked at it I could see some micro cracks in the screen. It has since grown and he longer can use the tablet. I am researching to see if I could get it replaced.

The second was also all setup and my daughter (8 yrs.) is using hers, but it has developed an issue with the charging connection. You place the charger into the connection on the tablet and it feels loose. You have to angle the connection to see the charge light come on.

The battery also is crap - barely lasts 4-6 hours, if lucky. I wish I would have just bought a Fire or Galaxy Tab.

Oh by the way I have emailed Vivitar multiple times, but keep receiving a 'bounce-back' from the email address listed on the website. Trying to call is also a joke as I cannot get ahold of anyone.

STAY AWAY!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent starter tablet for kids & families with a small budget, November 8, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let's face it, if you're going to buy an iPad, you're going to buy an iPad, and nothing is going to deter you. But if you don't have the cash for a pricey tablet, or don't relish the idea of your expensive tablet being left behind a rocking chair by a child only to hear a sickening crunch sound when you sit down (true story!), then chances are you're looking for tablet functions and entertainment without a huge investment.

Both my kids (ages 13 & 10) and I played around a lot with the Camelio, adding and using many of our favorite apps. My kids each have the original Kindle Fire, and I have a Toshiba Thrive, for comparison.

- The interface was easy to learn and work with; if you're used to Android, this will be a snap for you to start using

- The screen is bright, clear, and colorful

- My kids both said playing their games felt exactly the same as on their Kindle Fires

- The Camelio is the exact same dimensions as the original Kindle Fire, so my kids' accessories (covers, screen protectors) fit the Camelio just right

- The Camelio is 11.8 oz, while the original Kindle Fire measures in at 14.2 oz

- The parental controls are easy to set, and are a necessity, in my opinion, as a family with kids

- I felt it was a bit more pixelated, and occasionally pokey, depending on the app I used compared to my Thrive, which could have been due to file size or the app design, but in any case it wasn't very noticeable most of the time

- At times,we had trouble picking up the wifi in our home, in places where our other devices don't have any trouble, which was frustrating

- The power button is right where the ball of my right hand rests when holding it in portrait mode, resulting in some accidental power-offs when I was still using it

- The back of the Camelio feels more hollow than our other devices, somewhat cheap

- When the battery has fully died and you plug it in, it will not power up right away on the charger. Rather, I ended up having to wait about 5 minutes before it would start

- The personalization packs are an added expense, and are not necessary to make good use of this tablet

For the price point, this is a decent starter tablet for a young person or for families with young kids. The quality is lower than high-end devices, but not so much that kids will care.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy something else...anything else!!!, December 22, 2013
This review is from: Camelio CAM740 7-Inch 1 GB Tablet (Personal Computers)
We bought two of these tablets, 1 hello kitty theme kit and 1 my little pony theme kit. Vivitar doesn't tell you that the theme kit serial number is for one time use. In case you don't know, the serial number is used to activate the wallpapers and change several other apps into the theme you purchased. I always test electronics before giving them as gifts. The problems I've had are present on both tablets.

I downloaded several apps and immediately noticed the shortcuts to the apps kept disappearing when switching from a horizontal view to a vertical view. I should have returned it all to the store at that moment, but no, I called Vivitar instead on 12/9/13. At this point, I only had the my little pony tablet in my possession. The hello kitty tablet was in another state with my sister. I explained this to the rep. He says it's fine and to call them back when I have the other tablet to be walked through for the fix. Vivitar notified me that the fix is to reset the tablet to factory settings. I let the rep know that I have already installed the theme kits. I'm told it's no problem and they will replace the theme kits by mail. He walks me through it, I re-downloaded the apps and everything seemed ok.

Since the hello kitty tablet was in another state, I got my sister to call to get it reset to factory settings and remind them to replace the hello kitty theme kit. The rep gets nasty with my sister because he doesn't want to replace the theme kit. At this point, I called back to remind them of what they told me. And I should not have to lose money because both tablets were defective out of the box. The theme kits cost around $30 each, so that was $60 I spent on personalization products that I couldn't use because I can't re-install the theme kits with the original serial numbers. The rep speaks to his manager and they say they are shipping a second replacement theme kit.

It is now 3 days before Christmas and I have yet to receive the replacement theme kits!

So tonight I've been trying to use my own background photos. I have both tablets in my possession now. The tablets force me to crop my background photo no matter what size it is. I am forced to crop only a small portion of the photo for use. This is annoying, but I thought I could work around it. The big problem now is that the tablets automatically revert back to the default Vivitar theme. No matter what background you choose (be it yours or pre-installed backgrounds), after a minute or so, it reverts to default theme pack. UGH!!

And guess what...my shortcuts are now disappearing every time an app does an automatic update!

Save your money, Save your time, Buy something else.

1.0 out of 5 stars crappy batteries, December 30, 2013
This review is from: Camelio CAM740 7-Inch 1 GB Tablet (Personal Computers)
I had to return both tablets because the did not charge. They also had very finicky screens, which made it had to use them

4.0 out of 5 stars This is for Kids, Adults best served elsewhere. WiFi works with TKIP encryption, not AES, December 23, 2013
This review is from: Camelio CAM740 7-Inch 1 GB Tablet (Personal Computers)
I give this 4 stars based on being a kid's tablet. Were it for an adult I'd have rated it lower since it is slower than a higher end tablet since the chips are slower, but that' not what we bought it for and not really not what it's marketed for. It does have quite a few of the free apps preinstalled, most seem appropriate (does my kid really need navigation?). Wi Fi does work well, but doesn't support all current encryption protocols, which may require tweaking router settings (see my notes below if you're concerned about Wi Fi based on other reviews).

If you're looking for an older kid (let's say10-12+) who would want/need a more 'unlocked' flavor of Android then this is probably not the one for you since a lot of the settings are changeable only through the Camelio software settings rather than the Android menus. For younger kids I find the restrictions nice in a way, a sort of introduction to tablets if you will.

The one major con is the lack of support in the manual, if you have any issues you're on your own searching online forums. Some of the settings can be changed in standard Android settings menus and some can only be changed in the Camelio software, which is somewhat straightforward, but not well documented.

Regarding Wi-Fi, the one warning I'll give is that the Wi-Fi does support WPA2 (in fact this is the setting shown on their support site video tutorial). The kicker is that is seemingly only works with TKIP encryption. If you try setting up using only AES encryption the tablet freezes up, indicates a loss of signal (i.e. 5 bars to 1 instantly), and eventually drops the connection after a few minutes of 'attempting to connect'. I fortunately realized the issue was with AES fairly early on, despite lack of guidance in the manual, because I had a Wi-Fi Blu-ray player with a similar issue in the past. Most modern routers that support WPA2 will default to AES encryption only, which is a newer protocol than TKIP... this device, either through older software, or morel likely hardware, seems to not know how to handle AES. The easy fix is to change the encryption typed within your router's settings. Under WPA2 you'd use a down menu under the WPA2 selection to change the encryption to 'TKIP+AES' instead of just 'AES'. Alternatively, on some brands of routers (ASUS is one main example) you would change from WPA2 to WPA2-Auto, in which case the firmware is designed so that WPA2 = AES only and WPA2-Auto = TKIP+AES.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Starter Tablet, October 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have held off on owning a tablet because I really never understood what it would be used for. What is nice about this tablet it is easy to use with many pre-loaded apps on it, many that you would probably want on it (at least of the free variety). And it is easy to go to the Google Play store to download some more which was easy to purchase and download to the tablet. I am not sure if it will be as easy if you do not already have a Google account. Same goes for Chrome which automatically loaded all my setting, bookmarks, and history from my computer.

There are a few drawbacks, most notably it reboots sometime quite frequently. I originally thought it automatically rebooted whenever you reinstall a program, but sometimes it restarts without even downloading an update. I also noticed that sometimes the icons on the main screen disappear and then reappear after a short time. Also some passwords are saved while others do not (I am not sure if that is exclusive to this tablet or if it is the app itself that does not save the password). Most puzzlingly, when charging while off, when I turn the tablet back on, it shows that the battery level is still the same than before I charged it. It is not that the charge does not take, it just stays at that percentage charge for a couple hours before it starts going down again.

One major reason I avoided such devises for so long is that I have thick fingers making it hard to type. There is a microphone function that is really nice and will dictate your voice, but unless it gets you right on the first try, it may just be easier to type with your fingers. And the tablet is not very easy to hold, right hand (which is my non-typing hand) would cramp after about a minute holding this tablet. Luckily I have an iPod stand that this tablet easily fits on so I really do not have to hold on to it very much.

2.0 out of 5 stars very disapointed, May 7, 2014
This review is from: Camelio CAM740 7-Inch 1 GB Tablet (Personal Computers)
I am very disappointed in this product. We bought two of these for Christmas for our kids ages 8 and 4. On both tablets the charging port crapped out in less then two months (luckily we bought at wal-mart with the replacement plan). We got them replaced and again on one of them the charging port has crapped out. Now we have to replace it again. Another thing is that the "parental controls" are a joke. The child's e-mail that you set up on the tablet is the one it sends the password to if you "forgot" the password. Hello now the kids know the password. Also both my kids the 8 and 4 year old has figured out how to bypass the parental controls all together. It is a good tablet for the most part, but again a child's tablet with "parental controls" that a 4 year old figured out how to bypass in not even a year is not what i expected for a "kids" tablet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the kids, June 20, 2014
This review is from: Camelio CAM740 7-Inch 1 GB Tablet (Personal Computers)
I bought this for my younger sibling and she cant get enough of it. She spends all day now on crunchyroll watching anime on it, and I couldnt be more proud. Though I am not so happy about the amount of time she spends playing candy crush and not doing her homework, but oh well kids will be kids.

All and all the tablet is great, and this has my full support.

Camelio CAM740 7-Inch 1 GB Tablet