Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Elizabeth Cook Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on February 25, 2008
One of the best all time cast albums. Camelot was an excellent musical, a classic of the early sixties, but the cast album was even better. They kept in songs on the album that were actually cut from the stage production, Fie On Goodness, and Take Me To The Fair, and with good reason, they actually stopped the show, not enhancing character or plot at all, and added to the shows running time of over 4 hrs. Wisely excised, but thankfully preserved on the album.
The performances are now legendery, Richard Burton's only, and magnificent, musical, Julie Andrews sublime as Guenevere, and Robert Goulet's definitive version of If Ever I Would Leave You. The orchestrations are thrilling, the overture causes goose bumps, the rest of the album is on the same level. A must have for any musical theater fan.
on July 4, 2010
This is a re-release in the Masterworks Broadway eco-sleeve format (a cardboard cd holder with a booklet tucked inside) and is not a remaster or upgrade. That said the excellent remastering from 1998 sounds just fine.

The listing says this is a CD-R manufactured on demand. No, this title is a regular pressed and packaged CD. CAMELOT has always been one of the top-selling original cast recordings, and each year as hundreds of new productions are staged it continues to sell well.

In reviewing the previous release I wrote:
CAMELOT was a problematic show and despite many revisions for revivals over the years, it has never really worked on stage or screen.

But it DOES work as a recording. Richard Burton and Robert Goulet are perfectly cast and handle their musical numbers well. Julie Andrews provides the spark and sparkle that elevate this show. Guenevere is her richest part: She goes from an immature girl ("Simple Joys of Maidenhood"); to a petty young queen ("Then You May Take Me to the Fair"); through awakening emotions ("Before I Gaze at You Again"); unhappiness ("What DO the Simple Folk Do") and finally heartbroken resignation ("I Loved You Once in Silence.") Julie manages to display this huge range of emotions on the record using just her voice. Today we can only listen and imagine what a wonderful stage performance she gave.

CAMELOT was not well received by the critics. It was ignored by the 1961 Tony awards (BYE BYE BIRDIE won that year.) This original cast recording was so well produced that it, along with several scenes showcased on the ED SULLIVAN HOUR helped turn the show into a box office hit.

Columbia's deluxe Lp is reproduced here with outstanding sound and generous notes. (The many colour pictures that decorated the Lp cover are reproduced here in black & white!) The note reveal some interesting trvia: the voice of Nimue on this recording is actually the understudy as the actress who created the role on stage was too ill to make the recording.

For years rumours persisted that "The Jousts" and "The Persuasion" had been recorded because the original Lp cover listed the songs. This proved to be false, and all the recorded numbers were used on the finished Lp. The CD has no bonus tracks but does correct the track order to follow the order the songs are heard in the show.
on December 31, 1997
No recording of "Camelot" can hold a candle to this one, the Original Broadway(perfectly)Cast w/ Richard Burtom, Julie Andrews & Robert Goulet. This recording utterly captures it's spirit(which is what "Camelot" is all about, anyway) & the exc- ellent plot synopsis(in the CD booklet & on back of the LP) fills in the non-musical gaps of Alan Jay Lerner's most inspired & meaningful work. A must have for anyone who loves good singing, music, theater, etc.-Chip Harmison END
HALL OF FAMEon March 3, 2010
CAMELOT, the ravishing musical re-telling of the King Arthur legend by Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe, has never sounded better than in the original 1960 Broadway cast album, now happily reissued on the Columbia Broadway Masterworks label (this is the exact same disc as the previous 1999 Broadway Masterworks pressing but in a new cardboard "eco-pack" sleeve). Richard Burton, Julie Andrews and Robert Goulet lead the cast as the troubled love-triangle of King Arthur, Queen Guenevere and Sir Lancelot.

Julie Andrews, fresh from the London production of MY FAIR LADY, is in glorious voice and sings some of the score's best numbers like "The Simple Joys of Maidenhood", "The Lusty Month of May", "Then You May Take Me to the Fair" and the achingly-poignant "I Loved You Once in Silence". Richard Burton has an attractive singing voice (remember, he was a Welshman!), and has a ball with numbers like "I Wonder What the King is Doing Tonight?" and the Title Song. Robert Goulet delivers the definitive "If Ever I Would Leave You".

CAMELOT enjoyed a modest run of 873 performances (modest in that the composers had hoped to outdo their MY FAIR LADY success, and MFL ended up clocking in over 2,000 performances on Broadway alone). Out of the myriad of CAMELOT cast albums available, this is still the best of the bunch. Sadly, unlike most of the titles from the Broadway Masterworks range, there are no bonus or alternate tracks.
on March 15, 2014
With this remastered compact disc of the Original Broadway Cast recording of Camelot, I have three different versions. After I wore out the first (mono) original (1960) Columbia Masterworks LP, I bought the stereo re-issue (1973) version. When the compact disc was issued in the 1980's, I bought that version. The other day I received this newest (2009) version.

This newest version replicates the cardboard sleeve in miniature of the first issues of the original LP. Later original LP versions had an alternate cover, which displayed color bust photos of Burton, Andrews, and Goulet. The first compact disc also used that alternate cover in the plastic jewel case.

The first compact disc must suffer the inferior analog to digital transfer technology of its time, even though its sample rate of 44.1 KHz at 16 bits is the same as the newest, re-mastered compact disc. But this new version approaches the sonic and acoustical clarity of the LP, while the first compact disc is filled with indistinct instrumentation and voices that are much too loud by comparison.

Most surprising is that the sequence of the individual tracks on the newest, re-mastered compact disc does not correspond to the original LP and its re-issues or to the original compact disc's sequencing, which is the same as the LP's. Four tracks on the new compact disc are in different places. Consequently, it makes me wonder which sequence (if either of them) corresponds to the original Broadway performances in 1960 and 1961 (regardless of the theatrical performance's deletions of "Then You May Take Me To The Fair" and "Fie On Goodness"). For one example, the 1982 HBO production has "C'est Moi" performed before "The Lusty Month Of May", while they are reversed on the orIginal recordings. Wikipedia's listing for the original Broadway performance is somewhat ambiguous and hardly definitive. It's possible that the LP had to create its particular sequencing because of engineering limitations, especially for the kind of music that would be nearest to the label -- always a technical concern with LP's.

The Original Broadway Cast recording of Camelot was a masterpiece and remains a masterpiece.
on April 13, 2014
This sound track I used to here as a kid and it was kind of burned into my consciousness. It sounds even better now on CD. I'll always remember 'If ever I would leave you' , 'How to handle a woman' , 'The lusty month of May' , 'Guenevere' and of course 'Camelot'. They are so powerful and beautiful you get mesmerized by them. The immortal 'Follow Me' can't be described as it will take you away. Not for the faint of heart. This is top notch. I would recommend it for anyone that wants to be thrilled by music! Do the right thing. Buy it!
James Keller
on May 3, 2015
Richard Burton, Julie Andrews, Robert Goulet - does it get any better with these songs? My parents had this album 55 years ago and I remembered enjoying some of the songs then, so I thought I would take another listen.
How can you not like "The Simple Joys of Maidenhood", "What do the Simple Folk Do?", "The Lusty Month of May", and of course "Camelot" itself. There are several more excellent songs on this album.
Burton speaks his lines more than sings, but is effective enough, while Julie Andrews and Robert Goulet were simply excellent.
on May 6, 2013
First, I love the cloud, and I love streaming, and I love that I have nothing to dust, and there is nothing that the kids can break or lose or scratch. So I love the delivery method.
Secondly, the music is wonderful and the lyrics are fantastic. This was written back when nothing had to be dumbed down for the audience, and there is irony and double entendre and wit and cleverness throughout::
"...Where are the simple joys of maidenhood? Where are all those adoring daring boys? Where's the knight pining so for me he leaps to death in woe for me? Oh, where are a maiden's simple joys?..."
"...But where in the world, Is there in the world, A man so *extraordinaire*? C'est moi! C'est moi, I'm forced to admit. 'Tis I, I humbly reply!...""
""...No one repents for any sin now, Every soul is immaculate and trim, Immaculate!, No one is covered with chagrin now, Lolly lo lim, Gad, but it's grim, Oh, fie on goodness, fie, Fie, fie, fie, There's not a folly to deplore, Derry down, derry down, Confession Sunday is a bore, Derry down, derry down..."
Julie Andrews was perfectly cast as Guinevere, Richard Burton seems to have been designed by the Creator for parts such as this... the music is energetic, the recording is everything you would expect from this group of professionals....
on March 21, 2015
I gave this a listen the other evening, while cleaning weapons after a trip to the range... It is exactly as I remember it from circa 1962--what was I, maybe seven? This was a favorite of my parents, and of President John Fitzgerald Kennedy... It contains many memorable songs.

If you're into "Game of Thrones" or all things Medieval, you'll probably enjoy this song-track from this classic Broadway Musical, based on the King Arthur legends. In fact, I could easily visualize many of the characters from "Game of Thrones", as I listened to this again, for the first time in over fifty years! Amazingly, I remembered a great many of the lyrics; but that's me.

Everyone from the virtuous young maiden, betrothed to a man she does not love, to the pure-of-heart, aspiring knight, to the bored and frustrated veteran knights, to the seamy political players behind the scenes, to a very nervous king on his wedding night, to a sage old maestor advising a younger man on "How to Handle a Woman", they're all there (minus the depravity shown in GOT, as this was the early 60's).

I've had several of these tunes buzzing in my head since; and that's a good thing!

Oh, and the advice is sound. "The way to handle a woman is to love her... Simply love her... Merely love her... Love her... Love her..." I have tried this and it works!

RayB
on November 29, 2009
I bought this CD because I always loved Camelot and especially Julie Andrews. It was a fabulous album. Robert Goulet was so great that I bought another CD of his greatest hits. This has to be one of the best broadway CD's I have ever bought. You will love it and I highly recommend it!