Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 27, 2012
A lot of stuff running on 12 volts seems to use this size connector. I am using them to wire 12 volts to LED's.

This is the female connector. The male is here:
Gino 10 Pcs 2.1x5.5mm Male Jack DC Power Adapter for CCTV Camera

These connectors pair well with this wire:
DIY 18/2 100 Feet In Wall Speaker Wire Spool CL2 Rated UL Listed
on March 19, 2012
Work great - will purchase again! I coupled these with a Wall Adapter Power Supply - 9VDC 650mA to power hobby electronics projects on a BB400 Solderless Plug-in BreadBoard, 400 tie-points, 4 power rails, 3.3 x 2.1 x 0.3in (84 x 54 x 9mm), and it functions flawlessly. The screw terminals make it extremely easy to connect any device that ends in a 2.1x5.5 male plug to a breadboard or terminal. At electronics hobby specialty stores, I've seen these sold for two bucks a piece!
on November 27, 2015
I'm using these for strings of LED lights and for a small heating element (pulling less than 2.5A) for which they work fine.

I misread one of the other comments saying the +/- are switched. The post was talking about the male and female connector +/-'s being switched not internal to just this female plug. Since I am going to setup a temperature control unit where the polarity does matter I figured I would check out the internal connections. Since I didn't have my multimeter handy I just cut one apart considering I probably won't use all of these and they are less than a quarter each.

Anyway you can see in the pictures below that everything is hooked up as it should be. The negative terminal goes to the sleeve and the positive terminal goes to the pin. I think that can be switched if you're using negative polarity but i'm pretty sure positive polarity is the standard. Unless you have a weird setup it should go wall ac->adapter->cord->sleeve/pin->+/- terminals->wire->whatever you're doing. Also I checked the dimensions and they're all good.

Negative -> Sleeve (5.5mm)
Positive -> Pin (2.1mm)
---9.5mm (deep or long respectively)
review image review image review image
on March 11, 2014
These are very nice. I give them four stars, because one of them did not work. The screw assembly would not hold the positive wire in place. I tried too hard to salvage the piece and pushed too hard on the screw driver. Yes, I stabbed my middle finger with the screwdriver and returned the favor and flipped the thing off. It didn't care. I bought three bags of these and hope the rest are OK, but again, these are still very nice, even if one out of ten are defective.
on March 4, 2016
Didn't even know I needed these things. Then, one day, it seemed almost ALL power supply/wall warts had been replaced by those switcher type supplies with those roundy (barrel connectors, actually) plugs! Now I have an elegant solution... for a problem I didn't even know I had! lols

Anyway, these seem sturdy enough to do the job and these also seem to have an adequate gauge of wire/pigtail to function safely. Unless you try to light a city, that is! Seems to be at least 18 or 20 gauge. They are the very common 5.5mm x 2.1mm size. There are many other different sized made to safely accommodate the current (amperage) of the supply used. Be smart! Shop S-Mart!
on October 17, 2014
Used this for my LED light table project and needed some female 5.5mm x 2.1 mm adapters for 22 AWG wire.

Nothing much else can be said other than this:

Strip desired wire (roughly 5mm exposure of copper/tin wire), use a small Phillips screwdriver to unscrew the screw on top of adapter, slide in the exposed wire, and tighten the screw until the metal bites into the wire.

If you plan on having a permanent connection, I recommend Soldering the contacts (wire inside the metal grip) after inserting the wire in.(Be sure to make sure the solder for Negative terminal DOES NOT COME IN CONTACT with the solder for the positive terminal).

IT IS POSSIBLE TO TEAR OUT the wire from these adapters even if you over-tighten the screws.

I have also tried "Shaving" the adapter down so its as thick as the cylinder part.
If you are attempting this be prepared to sacrifice one adapter for "Learning" to perfect your technique.
I used a Husky Sure-Grip Folding Lock-Back Utility Knife and it cuts through the plastic/rubber easily. However it is easy to slip and the knife will tear into the contacts.

It is also possible to "rip-out" the green section and sever it from the 5.5mm x 2.1mm female adapter. You will see two metal "tin" wires exposed. Will require soldering to fix.

Bottom line:
-Finished my LED light table wonderfully. This was like my missing piece in my project.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 18, 2014
I've had one of these in my "pieces parts" bin for some time; it came with a 12v wall-wart adapter. I never needed it so it just sat there.

Today I was working on a project and somewhat frustrated as to how to feed the power into a closed container... and remembered this device. Drilled a hole, inserted a brass grommet, glued this inside the grommet. Ran a bare-wire-to-male adapter lead to the amp... and had the perfect solution to feeding power to the unit.

I'm an electronics neo. Just got started recently building my own guitar amps and pretty much fly by the seat of my pants. When I realized what these things are good for, I ordered this set of 10 immediately. I expect them to come in continually handy now that I've figured out their actual purpose. :D

BTW, the amp turned out wonderfully well. Made it out of an emptied mini beer keg, car amp and a 6.5" speaker. Absolutely awesome and with this plug, depending on how I want to power it, can be a wall-line or battery-operated portable unit. Am very pleased-- and I kid you not, this little bit of hardware was literally the final piece to the puzzle that turned the device into exactly what I wanted it to be. Fantastic amp.

NOTE: As another user pointed out, be sure to check the polarity prior to hookup. It turned out to be exactly opposite of what I was expecting, despite the clear markings on the unit itself. As the saying goes: always test first... THEN power up. (Another good saying: never stand barefoot in water and touch the red terminal...)
on April 12, 2016
First off, I used this for the purpose of building and ambient lighting system for my tv. I needed a way to connect and power supply to the led light I was using. So I purchased these. it was either purchase one of them for a few dollars or a few them, for about the same price. I now extras for future projects and so far I have had no malfunctions.
on March 8, 2015
Using these on LED strips. Looks just like in picture. A little loose for some male connectors, but this issue is fixed by slightly splitting the middle pin and sightly ovaling the outer ring. Wire connector clamps hold fairly well. Multiple wires have to be soldered together first. The green section cannot take a high amount of pressure, so be careful when turning the locking screws. About 5A safety max. Not the highest in quality, but they do the job for the price.
on February 2, 2015
will go great with GLW 10W 12V DC Warm White LED Flood light High Power Waterproof Outdoor Lights black case LW1/
I used this with the positive and negative wires with the above light and then run and 5.5m power cord to a 30000mah battery that i charge with a 35watt solar pannel and they work Great!!! I have like 5 hours of light and bright light.