Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

VINE VOICEon March 23, 2008
The photos grab you at first, but it's the words that will make you treasure this must-have hardback. Author Annie Griffiths Belt was one of the first female photographers hired at the National Geographic Society, and in these pages you can understand why. The 133 images soar.

Subjects range from Minnesota blizzards to Jerusalem Ramadan celebrations to refugee camps in Pakistan and Thailand. An image that sticks with me is a Biloxi Katrina survivor sitting alone in a bare room, holding her 81st birthday cake in her lap. Another indelible photo: dolphins playing at dawn in New Zealand.

Also in the book are Belt's stories about her travels and adventures. Accompanying each photo is a short narrative, in which the author describes what was happening before, during and after she took the shot. Throughout the book Belt describes what it was like bringing her two young kids with her while she traveled, often with her husband in tow, too. These tales are often funny, always interesting.

The dust jacket slips off to reveal a paisley-print cover with the title in gold letters on the spine.
on April 3, 2008
After reading the book and seeing the world through Annie G. Belts stunning photos, I am beyond moved. Her story is funny and beautiful. She makes me feel like I can do anything in the world that I dream of doing and bring my children along for the ride. This book has enriched my life and opened up my heart to new possibilitites.
on March 19, 2008
This is a wonderful book; a keepsake. Annie Griffiths Belt is a well-known, gifted photographer, but her charming voice, gentle humor, and sincere sense of wonder and gratitude give new depth and meaning to the images she captures. Her openness and honesty make it easy to see how she has been able to create a bond of trust across cultural barriers that has been one of the hallmarks of her career. The real message of this book is that people are beautiful and that anything, even your wildest dream, is possible. That is the reason, come Mother's Day, I'll be giving this book to my daughter.
on April 30, 2008
This book is just wonderful! It has the most beautiful photographs and commentary. I've been reading it to my children for bedtime story. I saw a television program where the author was talking about each picture. She gave even greater details about the stories and circumstances behind each picture! It would be great if that would have been included along with the book itself in CD/DVD format. I loved listening to her describe in detail all that goes in to getting the one perfect shot! Again, wonderful book. The photos are just breath-taking!
on April 18, 2011
I was lucky enough to hear the photographer at a lecture, and ordered this book (one of several she has done with National Geographic). The photos are great, for impact and telling a story to anyone and fascinating to any amateur photographer, and the photographer's insights and perspectives add to it. A great book for the coffee table but also great to look through with your family so they can see how others on this planet live, beautiful but often harsh, always interesting. A wonderful book and a surprisingly low price, what's left?

Highly recommended.
on April 2, 2008
A book to treasure! Simply magnificent photographs by the brilliant Annie G. Belt. Beautifully reproduced and narrated - a fascinating tour of the world and humanity by one of the top photographers in the world. Highly recommend!
on June 19, 2012
It goes without saying that the photography is GORGEOUS...but a complete surprise was how charmingly Belt told her story (her origins, her beginning as a newbie photographer, meeting her husband on assignment, traveling with children, capturing the common chords that human being share and sharing them with us all through her photographs. Just the perfect book to both inspire and dream with. Loved this book and as I had traveled rather extensively with young children I was both impressed by her aplomb and common sense in sharing her exotic adventures with her children.
on February 15, 2013
Made in China. I was encouraged to purchased this book because of the rave reviews. I'm beginning to question if these reviews are real ???
The book is printed in China on cheap paper and the images in many photos are blurred.
I'm extremely disappointed in this book and will return it tomorrow. he price is inexpensive and it shows that you get what you pay for.
on January 23, 2013
I gave this to my daugher-in-law as a gift. She is interested in making photography an income career she can do as a stay-at-home Mom. She loved it and said she learned so much from it. The photographs are truly amazing!
on April 14, 2013
I was concerned about ordering a used book but was pleasantly surprised by the nearly new condition. I had read a newspaper review of "A Camera, Two Kids, and a Camel" and knew I wanted to have the book. The book is larger than expected and has lots more photos than expected ... more pleasant surprises. This is a book that will be enjoyed over and over again.