on December 1, 2012
This is my second one. I broke the first using a pipe to get it out of a tree. Why buy another? It is without a doubt the best rc video helicopter I have received here. I intend to buy several more so I can rotate them when I am out and about flying them. Keeping one charged while we fly the others....thats how much fun these are. Durable? You bet! Outdoor flying? Not the greatest if there are any winds aloft at all, but on a calm day, there is nothing better than flying this toy over and over and videotaping your exploits. I have flown up to about 30 meters, and could have gone higher, but the darned thing was hard to see. Incredibly stable, you will find yourself flying this helicopter through increasingly more difficult paths, as it is rock steady when it is calm out.BUY THIS! for the money, it is amazing.
As with anything, there are pros and cons. I guess in keeping with the other comments, the cons of this helicopter is that flying outdoors is a challenge if there is any wind at all. The gyroscopic technology, however, keeps this machine rock steady in flight, and gives the operator suck stability, it becomes a cinch to fly. It is very durable, as I have crashed it many times. I do have a good HINT! When you take it out of the box, put a rubber band around the landing skids to hold tension on them. Simply put the rubber band all the way around the skids near the helicopter body. This keeps the skids form breaking during intense hard landings. The skids are well attached, but it seems that after breaking a few, the rubber band has made it indestructable in even the worst crashes. Flight time is significantly increased by turning off the lights. No one needs to see the disco lights while in flight, so kill them. I will say the front spotlight makes it easier to detect direction when flying high, or farther away. The range on this copter is terrific, and I have been able to fly when it appeared no more than a little dot. Above all, have fun with this copter....I am having a blast.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 26, 2012
I received this today and charge it right away for test flight. It is very solid, as nice looking as Syma brand S031G only a bit smaller. Charging time is 20-30 min, and flight time is 5-7 min quite short. If you can upgrade the battery to keep it longer in the air that would be more fun. The 2.4G transmitter is neat, it's not bulky and has an electronic display. Binding take some time, i don't know why, my transmitter sometime takes up to full 5 min for it to bind with the black bird. But once they both hooked up, it's fun to fly. Operating the camera/still photo is no brainer. There are one button for each action on the transmitter, on or off, however it take some time to get used to. The slot for the SSD is as easy to operate as in any p/s cameras, insert the card, soft push to eject it. Over all, it's nice. But with the price of $50+, it's a little expensive. The "party light" led display along the tail boom is just sicken me (my kids love it); and annoying as well making it look uncool. They incorporated another button on the controller to switch the light on/off, now that's sweet, but turning those party lights off mean the head light also go dark. I suppose you can open it up, and disconnect those party lights if not wanted. Get one if you don't mine spending the bucks, it's nice.

Addition 06/29/2012. Transmitter binding resolved - Some of you if run into binding problem like i had, there is a trick. When both the heli and the transmitter are turned on, all lights will be flashing in the heli and the red light on the transmitter is flashing as well, this means binding is in process; but sometime it may take a long time but they are still be in the binding mode. The trick is lower the throttle stick to its lowest position, turn on the transmitter (the red light will be flashing); then turn on the rc heli (all lights will be flashing there too), go back to the transmitter (while it is still on) and slowly move the throttle stick to its highest power (all the way up) - then lower it back to the lowest position (all the way down). Once you have reached the throttle's lowest position, it will have a solid bind right away with the heli(the red light on the transmitter stops flashing and stay solid). This techique works very well with other 2.4G rc heli models as well.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 6, 2012
Charged right out of the box and flew excellent outside, went up a hundred feet and took pics and video. Pics and video was excellent crisp and clear. Video was stable and a much higher quality than I expected for the price. Helicopter flew for over 10 minutes and being able to set the power level for lift gave me more time to enjoy flying and control. All around super fun and functional toy for the price. Construction and materials used is super!! Helicopter is on yhe heavy side but it helps with slight wind currents for control. Much better outside than the little light helicopters. The weight when the throttle is reduced quickly makes the copter drop but if you reduce your lift speed slowly control is not an issue. This helicopter is very fun and easy to fly and use of the camera or video is a snap. I would buy another one and recommend one. The possible uses are amazing and endless.
on August 18, 2013
Having owned a few Syma copters i decided to try the u13a ..Out of the box it look great, not very big but very sleek and pretty much blacked out.
It is easy to control and has decent flight time.
Pros , easy to fly
good flight time,great picture and video quality
good range
great stability
easy to recover from fall or toilet bowl effect
very good looking copter and great deal for the price

Cons
Can not handle ANY wind and i mean any wind
the sd card is tricky and if youre not care full you will find your card inside the camera and not the slot
Low crash resistance

summary
this is a great rc copter for the money, hands down the biggest bang for the buck, for beginners find abig open area if you want to achieve more than 50ft or so, beware of any wind, this copter is not big and is very easily blown away.
I would suggest this copter to anyone looking for a fun easy way to fly and shoot video or take picks. The video and picture quality are great.
on November 7, 2013
As if this little guy wasn't fun enough, I found a way to make it even more fun!,
This thing flies like a charm, so smooth!, so easy!, what's the down side?
as we all know, the down side is that the wind takes it where it wants to,..
not anymore, I found a way to make it go where YOU want to... (in standard wind)
All you gotta do is, take two nickles, and glue it to the top of the nose,
(the front end part).. that drops your front end exactly enough to have it go against wind!
I haven't tried it on any other co-axle, but it works like a charm on this!
So fun to watch her fly against wind for once :-)
And for hoovering and landing, just move the directional backwards, and it hoovers
(you lose the capability to move backwards, but who cares, lol)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 3, 2013
This was a present for my 10 year old son. After unboxing it and charging it, the first thing we noticed was the weight difference from other plastic helicopters that he has owned. It feels very solid. We took it to flight and it took a little bit to get used to but once we did it flew GREAT!!! The camera/video feature is really cool for my son to see his travels in flight. We have had this helicopter for three months now. After countless crashes in trees, fences, pavement and the house, the only thing that has broken was the cowl that goes over the top. After all the abuse I feel it has held up well.
on December 5, 2012
Charged the heli up (this took about 20 minutes) and installed the batteries in the transmitter, then bound and flew to a stable hover right out of the box. Now if you are use to having rudder control on the left stick, this heli takes a little getting used to. In the process, I bumped into some furniture, and had some emergency landings, but I have yet to damage anything. Even at the heavier weight, it is still better to cut power and let her drop than to run into things at power IMO. The camera works great. The picture is very clear and stable. I also like the micro SD card that comes with it and the cool USD adapter to download with. Being able to turn the lights off lengthens flight times, but still, only 5 to 7 minutes so far.

As for the instructions, they suck. I wish the Chinese would at least hire an American to translate, or at least proof read, these manuals. The English is terrible, so some things are just plane stupid. One thing on the charging, the "manual" states that, when you plug the charging cord into the copter, the light will go out. This is wrong. The light is green, and goes to red when you plug the cord into the copter, then goes green again when the charging is done. Much of the manual is just ridiculous. Why do they bother? It is insulting.

The binding process has already been explained in another review, and that procedure works quite well.

I am very pleased with the copter, and all the more so at the price I paid.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 3, 2013
We have purchased several less expensive helicopters for our kids, but they never lasted more than a few weeks before breaking, and we never could take them outside. This is the first one that feels durable. Both kids love it. It can hover better than most of the helicopters we've had. It's had a few rough landings, but always managed to take off, with one exception. As it got close to the ground, my daughter put it to full thrust. It didn't slow it down, but it did crack one of the blades when it hit. It comes with a spare, and was easy to replace. Flies like new. The kids like flying it at dusk since it lights up. It's not perfect, though. I wouldn't try to fly it in much of a wind, but it does great on a nice day. Didn't come with a card reader, but I had an extra one. The battery only lasts ~10-15 minutes, which is frustrating when friends are over and want to try it out. It isn't obvious how to order spare parts, as I would like to have a few extra blades around. It would be nice if there was a larger version of this with a bigger battery and a little more power in the engine. Overall, we're happy with it after a month.
on August 16, 2013
Once I "mastered" the take-off, hovering, and landing, it worked well inside and out (cannot have any breeze/wind). The camera works in both video and snapshot mode.
on August 7, 2014
I, like many other reviewers, started my electric heli career with a Syma S107. Its controls are remarkably precise in every axis. I was so impressed by it that I bought a Syma F3 single-rotor heli - but none of the several I tried worked properly.

I have since purchased 8 other helis of all sizes and types, 3 and 4 channel, coaxial and single-rotor. All the single rotor helis are fun to fly, but controlling them precisely takes some practice. The coaxial helis are easier to fly precisely, and the U13A is no exception. With a little practice, it's possible to fly it from a table top to a chair, do circuits around the chandelier and land on the coffee maker.

As many other reviewers have commented, all the camera functions are very cleverly engineered and work without a hitch. My heli came with a 2GB SD card and very decent USB adapter, and the card was very easy to insert in either. The picture and video quality are surprisingly good for a "toy" category heli. Nonetheless, the camera's fixed position on the heli limits its usefulness (see below).

The charger that came with my first U13A did not work properly; the lights flashed erratically and failed to indicate when the battery was charging or was fully charged. I returned it to Amazon, purchased another, and the charger works correctly on this one.

The U13A has two significant weaknesses:

1) The minor issue first: When flying indoors, all the horizontal axis controls (including forward and reverse) are adequate, although not higly responsive. The rudder control is jerky, making incremental turns difficult to execute. The vertical control, however, is extremely unresponsive - even in Mode 2. Perhaps because of this heli's weight and momentum as compared to smaller helis, it continually drifts vertically and overshoots the vertical control - whereas the S107 and JXD 340 Drift King stop on a dime in all 4 axes. This might not be a major problem outdoors, where the demands of "furniture-hopping" don't apply. But then, this heli doesn't really work well outdoors (see below). Indoors, it's a significant impediment to precision flying.

2) The major issue with this heli, as mentioned by many other reviewers, is that it is totally incapable of combatting even the slightest detectible headwind, which renders it almost useless for outdoor flying or landscape photography. Switching to Mode 2, which increases control authority somewhat, provides only a slight improvement.

The tail motor/rotor combination, which controls this vector, seemed hopelessly weak, so I decided to increase the pitch on the spare tail rotor to see if it would make a significant difference. I dropped it into boiling water, twisted it sharply to increase the pitch, and then held it under cold water to lock the twist. The technique worked perfectly - the pitch was greatly increased, but it made only a slight (but noticeable) difference in outdoor performance. I then taped 2 5/16" washers (5 grams total) to the nose to tip the balance forward, as other reviewers have suggested, which helped a bit more.

With these modifications and in Mode 2, the heli is now flyable in nearly still outdoor air if I keep it within 10 or 15 ft. altitude; any higher, and the wind aloft still overpowers it. I now use Velcro tape to hold two washers on the nose, bent to match the contour of the canopy, for outdoor flying, and remove it for indoors.

Unfortunately, this solution compounded existing problems with the camera which, even in its most horizontal position, captured little more than the lawn - even without the added weight on the nose. With the weight, and at the low altitude at which this heli must be flown to prevent it from being carried away, the camera now captured nothing else.

The lens body can rotate into 2 possible positions, both of which are aimed too low. I would have considered scribing an additional detent in the body - or even gluing it in position - but there was no available range of motion. Instead, I placed a 5 mm shim under the rear of the camera assembly, which raised its point of aim significantly. The front screws were loosened but remain in place, and the shim is held in with mounting tape.

The heli now takes satisfactory video while being flown at moderate altitude in a slight breeze!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...