4.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for (an echo), but...
Published on January 21, 2012 by J. Sims

3.0 out of 5 stars Wide Angle/Macro Lens
I like the macro portion but the wide angle seems to leave a shadow at the wide parts from the lens. Other then that it's affordable.
Published on December 2, 2011 by KeepItReal

4.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for (an echo), but..., January 21, 2012
J. Sims "BAGLE" (Harpers Ferry, WV) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wide Angle/Macro Lens for the Canon SL1 T5 T3 T5i T4i T3i T2i T1i Xsi XS 60D 70D 7D 6D 5D Mark II 5D Mark III DSLR Cameras which have any of these 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 75-300mm III, 70-300mm IS USM, 24mm f2.8, 28mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 65mm f2.8, 85mm f1.8, 90mm f2.8, 100mm f2 & 100mm f2.8 lens (Camera)
The lens is cheap, and I know enough about optics and cameras to be forewarned that I may have just thrown away $17.00. The lens arrived in a plastic bubble envelope (Sigh). I was prepared for the worst. The manufacturers box was crushed badly (second Sigh). Then I find that this is made by Vivitar, a fact not mentioned in the product description (well maybe this isn't so bad). Then I noticed that the magnification factor is 0.43 and not 0.45x as shown in the product photo (Not a real big deal, but kinda makes one wonder how careful these folks are). I tried it out on my Canon T2i 18-55 lens. There is vignetting at 18mm zoom, although the manufacturers suggestion is to use the maximum wide angle setting. However at this setting it is the equivalent of a 12mm lens (35mm film photography-I just can't get used to the small sensor focal length factors). Vignetting disappears at about 24mm zoom (16mm in 35mm equivalent). At 35 mm zoom the lens gives me a 24mm focal length equivalent. So for $17.00 I get to extend my wide angle capabilities below the 28mm equivalent on the standard Canon lens to as low as maybe 15-18mm in 35 mm equivalents with the supplementary lens. Hey not bad for a cheap lens. I'll probably only use it for those special times I need an extreme (for me) wide angle. When I did 35mm film photography I had a 21mm, 24mm, and a 28mm wide angle. Mostly I used the 28mm, sometimes the 24mm and rarely the 21mm. So right now with only a bit of testing, this looks like I didn't waste $17.00 after all.

UPDATE: I did more testing and the most significant result is that the there is significant chromatic aberration outside the central 50 percent of the photo. The aberration is most noticeable at higher magnifications. It seems that if you do some judicious cropping and don't make big enlargements is won't be so noticeable--particularly at 8 x 10 or maybe 11 x 14.

5.0 out of 5 stars great lens for the money, August 14, 2011
This lens is fantantic for the money. I take a lot of macro shots and didn't want to invest in a big clunky separate lens. This does the trick perfectly.

I just upgraded to a digital SLR and didn't want to buy a separate lens. This screws onto the existing lens and not only does the macro but the wide angle too. I can leave it on my regular 28-55mm lens all the time.

You do get a "tunnel" effect at the corners at the widest angle but if you zoom in just a bit , it disappears. I kinda like the effect with the tunnel on some photos.

It is what it is for the money- a great value.

Joe

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME MACRO AT AN AFFORDABLE PRICE, November 14, 2013
I ordered this lens just for the heck of it, because I wanted to see what a $12.00 lens could do and I wanted more macro than I already had for my Canon T3i. It came in two days in a big box of other stuff and it was packaged in a little black bag inside a small box. When I opened it I couldn't wait to try it out so I did. I was amazed! The first shot I took in wide angle was really good, but when I took a close up of a statue on my porch I was really impressed! I don't know that I will use the wide angle much, but I think I have found what I was looking for in a macro. If I ever want to spend more money and upgrade I will, but for the money and what it is.....it's a Bower, I am very happy with it and would recommend this lens to anyone looking for an affordable macro that also takes some awesome pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, instructions lacking, September 25, 2013
I was amazed that this lens came with *nothing* in the way of instructions. It's rather nicely packaged, with dual covers and wrapped in plastic within a black purse.

My initial impulse was to attach the whole thing to the lens like a filter, and take some macro pictures. It sort of worked, but the pictures were hardly outstanding. Then I returned to Amazon's product description page and there discovered that it is actually *TWO* lenses attached to each other (they unscrew very easily), a MACRO lens and a Wide-angle lens.

Using the Macro lens (which again screws at the end of the 18-55mm Canon lens) alone, led to far superior pictures and some really nice closeups. Haven't tried the wideangle yet, but it's worth the money for the macro alone.

Highly recommended. If they could only learn to write and include instructions, they could easily double the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the $$, January 15, 2012
This item is good for the money and the Quality is great too!! I got it for my Canon 550D camera as it said it made for it,,,, but beware!!! at full wide angle it has Vignetting!!! you have to zoom it out hafe way between 18mm and 24mm on the stock 18-55mm Canon Lens.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wide Angle/Macro Lens, December 2, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice product!, May 5, 2014
I purchased this for use on a Rebel T5i. I spent some time looking through other reviews so I had an idea of some of the pros and cons of the product. I must say that I am by no means a professional photographer, but I was impressed with the end result. It was exactly as I thought.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the macro lens, June 29, 2012
I purchase this to have on hand since i am starting out with macro...i wasn't sure if I would like macro and decided instead of spending hundreds on a lens i may not use, i decided to use this quick fix version. The macro works great and i am going to buy a professional lens. Now the wide angle lens thats a different story. It works great to get the wide angle shot, but i wasn't impress with it. The major draw back to this lens is that, unlike the macro, the wide lens affects the color of the photo. You will not notice it initially after the picture is taken but when you reveiw it on your computer, you will notice slight rainbow colors merged with certain objects, you will see slight color distortions. If you are going to take black and white photos with the wide angle, than i would say it worth it, but don't expect great results with the color aspect of the wide lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Macro lens, December 13, 2013
Really enjoy to be able to zoom in on the inside of flowers, whole different world seen through this macro lens.

3.0 out of 5 stars distance, August 29, 2013
Something you will find out once you buy it, it will not fit correctly unless you buy a rubber ring. your Lens will sit at a weird angle otherwise.