5.0 out of 5 stars Super Love story
Beautiful love storey with Greta Scacchi and Colin Firth. They work beautifully together and the film is a delight to watch. Its a simple story yet tragic...

Great to see an very under valued Greta Scacchi work as she is a class actress.
Published on December 5, 2010 by propdevel

3.0 out of 5 stars Better Colin Firth Movies Available
Compared to other Colin Firth movies, this movie was very flat. I love period movies, and comparing to the likes of Jane Austin, this one pales in comparison. I had higher hopes for this film so was disappointed when I finished watching it.
The character of Camille was not well formed. She gave a sub-par performance. Firth seemed stilted and robotic at times...
Published on January 11, 2011 by KN

3.0 out of 5 stars Better Colin Firth Movies Available, January 11, 2011
This review is from: Camille (DVD)
The story line was a good one, and the potential for it being much more fleshed out would have made it much more endearing. So, it left me feeling like I wasted 100 minutes of my day.
So, chalk it up to one not so hot purchase.
I'll loan it to my daughter, with whom I LOVE to watch movies like this, but with a forwarning not to expect too much.
I would recommend saving the $$$ and watching Pride and Prejudice again!

2.0 out of 5 stars Made for TV Movie, February 2, 2011
This review is from: Camille (DVD)
I tried to find information on this movie prior to purchasing the DVD but didn't find much. This is a 'made for TV movie' which means the budget wasn't that great and it shows. I purchased it for the great cast but even they could not elevate the quality of the production.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Love story, December 5, 2010
This review is from: Camille (DVD)

Great to see an very under valued Greta Scacchi work as she is a class actress.

5.0 out of 5 stars Right after Austen, February 24, 2011
fairlind (Louisiana United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Camille (DVD)
I loved this movie. It's true that it doesn't quite reach the Jane Austen heights, but then in my book nothing does. This was not meant to be a happy, witty movie. It's a soulful, melancholy film that somehow reminds me of Haagen Dazs ice cream. Slow and rich, meant to be savored.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Lady of the Camellias, September 6, 2012
This review is from: Camille (DVD)
(Spoilers ahead) I have waited for many years to see this on DVD and was elated to see it released in 2011. I agree that the film did not fully exploit the talents of the superb cast, but the costumes and sets are well done, and--most of all--the story is true the fictionalized life of Marie Duplessis (by Alexandre Dumas the younger), the Parisian courtesan who died of tuberculosis in the early 1840s at the age of 23. (For opera lovers, this same story was turned into "La Traviata.")

The reviewers who were "shocked" by the "immorality" evidently needed a lesson in history. This film is a period piece. The protagonist Marguerite was a courtesan--essentially a high-class prostitute. What did they expect? She was a "companion" for men of the upper-crust whose time was paid for in money, jewelry and other expensive gifts.

As a made-for-TV film of the 1980s, the budget (as mentioned) is not as lavish as a film from the silver screen, but the film still conveys the life of the aristocracy (the young lover was a duke and the son of a duke) and the demimonde in Paris of the mid-19th century.

If you are a fan of literature of the Romantic period or enjoy costumed films, you will enjoy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic: Absolutely Wonderful, March 16, 2011
This review is from: Camille (DVD)
If you are a fan of the classics, this is a wonderful version of Camille. Academy Award Winner Colin Firth was sooooooooooooooo young when he made this but he was great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great cast, not well written, February 13, 2011
This review is from: Camille (DVD)
Although I am a fan of Colin Firth, and it is interesting to see an early performance of his, this movie left me cold. The young Greta Sacchi was good. The scenery was good. The costumes, especially the men's hats, were cheesy and off-putting. The writing and direction and production are below average.
Instead of this DVD, I recommend the wonderful Franco Zeferilli version of the opera starring Placido Domingo and the lovely Teresa Stratas. Search on Amazon is: Verdi: La Traviata Teresa Stratas. The opera is fast moving and of course a classic. This is the same story as Camille.Verdi: La Traviata

5.0 out of 5 stars Colin Firth, February 28, 2011
This review is from: Camille (DVD)
I purchased this movie because I will watch anything with Colin Firth starring in it. This did not disappoint me. I found the movie very touching. I gave it 5 stars because of Colin Firth and Greta Scacchi.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best version of book, August 21, 2011
This review is from: Camille (DVD)
Despite a few posters nay-saying the acting in the movie, I think this was the best version of the film I have seen. The cinematography was lovely; the acting was lovely and touching. I would say of the top ten films that I consider my faves, this is one of them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning! This movie really stinks, September 29, 2013
This review is from: Camille (DVD)
I am a big fan of Colin Firth, and before I saw this, I could not imagine how any movie in which he is a romantic and devoted lover could be bad. The movie is loaded with great talents but that does not stop it from being dull.

Its weak script fails to persuade that the courtesan is tragic or that her young man is madly in love with her. The country girl runs away from the cruel father who mistreats her and, after some rough bumps in the city, stumbles upon a rich nobleman who wishes to treat her like a daughter. Although she appreciates his help and likes him, she chooses to be a courtesan. A different script could have made her choice seem interesting and conflicted rather than simply stupid. She also meets Armand, who is young and beautiful. Unfortunately, he is not quite rich enough to take her away from this life that she has chosen, much as he wishes he could.

Perhaps we are supposed to conclude that she receives what she needs too late and she is in too deep to be saved by love. But I found this telling of the classic story so irritating that just throwing the DVD into a trash bin was not enough. Hence, this review and the warning. Bad movie. Bad, boring movie.

Camille
Camille by Desmond Davis (DVD - 2011)
$44.98