Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Camille
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Format: DVD|Change

on January 11, 2011
Compared to other Colin Firth movies, this movie was very flat. I love period movies, and comparing to the likes of Jane Austin, this one pales in comparison. I had higher hopes for this film so was disappointed when I finished watching it.
The character of Camille was not well formed. She gave a sub-par performance. Firth seemed stilted and robotic at times.
The story line was a good one, and the potential for it being much more fleshed out would have made it much more endearing. So, it left me feeling like I wasted 100 minutes of my day.
So, chalk it up to one not so hot purchase.
I'll loan it to my daughter, with whom I LOVE to watch movies like this, but with a forwarning not to expect too much.
I would recommend saving the $$$ and watching Pride and Prejudice again!
77 comments|197 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2011
I tried to find information on this movie prior to purchasing the DVD but didn't find much. This is a 'made for TV movie' which means the budget wasn't that great and it shows. I purchased it for the great cast but even they could not elevate the quality of the production.
11 comment|79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2012
(Spoilers ahead) I have waited for many years to see this on DVD and was elated to see it released in 2011. I agree that the film did not fully exploit the talents of the superb cast, but the costumes and sets are well done, and--most of all--the story is true the fictionalized life of Marie Duplessis (by Alexandre Dumas the younger), the Parisian courtesan who died of tuberculosis in the early 1840s at the age of 23. (For opera lovers, this same story was turned into "La Traviata.")

The reviewers who were "shocked" by the "immorality" evidently needed a lesson in history. This film is a period piece. The protagonist Marguerite was a courtesan--essentially a high-class prostitute. What did they expect? She was a "companion" for men of the upper-crust whose time was paid for in money, jewelry and other expensive gifts.

As a made-for-TV film of the 1980s, the budget (as mentioned) is not as lavish as a film from the silver screen, but the film still conveys the life of the aristocracy (the young lover was a duke and the son of a duke) and the demimonde in Paris of the mid-19th century.

If you are a fan of literature of the Romantic period or enjoy costumed films, you will enjoy this.
on December 5, 2010
Beautiful love storey with Greta Scacchi and Colin Firth. They work beautifully together and the film is a delight to watch. Its a simple story yet tragic...

Great to see an very under valued Greta Scacchi work as she is a class actress.
0Comment|102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2011
I loved this movie. It's true that it doesn't quite reach the Jane Austen heights, but then in my book nothing does. This was not meant to be a happy, witty movie. It's a soulful, melancholy film that somehow reminds me of Haagen Dazs ice cream. Slow and rich, meant to be savored.
on September 29, 2013
I am a big fan of Colin Firth, and before I saw this, I could not imagine how any movie in which he is a romantic and devoted lover could be bad. The movie is loaded with great talents but that does not stop it from being dull.

Its weak script fails to persuade that the courtesan is tragic or that her young man is madly in love with her. The country girl runs away from the cruel father who mistreats her and, after some rough bumps in the city, stumbles upon a rich nobleman who wishes to treat her like a daughter. Although she appreciates his help and likes him, she chooses to be a courtesan. A different script could have made her choice seem interesting and conflicted rather than simply stupid. She also meets Armand, who is young and beautiful. Unfortunately, he is not quite rich enough to take her away from this life that she has chosen, much as he wishes he could.

Perhaps we are supposed to conclude that she receives what she needs too late and she is in too deep to be saved by love. But I found this telling of the classic story so irritating that just throwing the DVD into a trash bin was not enough. Hence, this review and the warning. Bad movie. Bad, boring movie.
VINE VOICEon February 13, 2011
Although I am a fan of Colin Firth, and it is interesting to see an early performance of his, this movie left me cold. The young Greta Sacchi was good. The scenery was good. The costumes, especially the men's hats, were cheesy and off-putting. The writing and direction and production are below average.
Instead of this DVD, I recommend the wonderful Franco Zeferilli version of the opera starring Placido Domingo and the lovely Teresa Stratas. Search on Amazon is: Verdi: La Traviata Teresa Stratas. The opera is fast moving and of course a classic. This is the same story as Camille.Verdi: La Traviata
on July 29, 2013
Don't look for P & P in this, as the cover portrays that romantic feel. it was a good enough watch for a rainy Sunday afternoon with nothing else to do. Colin Firth is VERY young in this movie, so if you are looking for the older, more distinguished look, you will be disheartened
on August 21, 2011
Despite a few posters nay-saying the acting in the movie, I think this was the best version of the film I have seen. The cinematography was lovely; the acting was lovely and touching. I would say of the top ten films that I consider my faves, this is one of them.
on June 20, 2015
I love this movie. I had it on tape and was happy it finally came out on DVD. It has beautiful clothes and sets. The acting is good and has stars who have been in many movies. It is a good version of this story.