Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

on May 11, 2011
I have already have one product from CampChef and wanted to also give feedback on this lantern - it became a part of my emergency kit and is in the trunk of the car.

The designers of the lantern had a great idea to make the LED head rotating, so it can be used as either a lantern or a flashlight. Seems like such an obvious solution! It also has two swivel attachment points for a carabiner or lanyard (both included in the package). The "D" rink in the battery compartment cap on the bottom of the unit serves as a perfect attachment location in case you want to hang this unit upside-down in your tent, car, cabin, etc. This way it works almost as a regular ceiling lamp in your home. The other way is to attach the lanyard to the side ring, but as the other reviewer pointed out - this way it will not be perfectly vertical, but at a slight angle (not a big deal really).

I can confirm that the unit is water resistant - as in "it will work in mist or light rain". It does have at least two rubber O-rings to give some light water protection.

I also like the fact that it came with 4 Duracel batteries and not no-name ones. I can rely on duracel to provide enough run-time until I can get a replacement set. With estimated run-time of 25-50 hours in various modes, this more than plenty for an emergency kit lantern.

By the way - this lantern has a name brand LED unit - CREE. These guys make LEDs for street lights, flashlights, commercial space lighting equipment, etc. Which is probably why it is so bright and why I hope it will outlast most other LEDs and regular bulbs.

So to sum it up - I like the design, 2 head positions, 3 power modes, bright LED, Duracel batteries, included lanyard and carabiner.
review image review image review image review image
11 comment13 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2011
MULTI PURPOSE:
Emergency preparedness, camping, Roadside emergency kit, RV

Positives:
*comes with Duracell batteries
*uses 4 AA easy to find batteries
*quality housing and frame with hanging strap and clip
*Very Bright 150 lumens (to me just superbright)
*use as a flashlight or lantern
*has roadside flashing light

Negatives
*hanging strap is only on one side, if you wanted to hang level in a tent is would be off to one side.
*Bigger version for table top would be great
*could have magnet on bottom to use on metal surfaces

Conclusions
*better than most LED lights has many extra features and still priced below similar models. Made by Camp Chef and ready to use right out of the Clam Shell.

Great product, free shipping who can complain about that??
review image review image review image
on July 14, 2011
IMHO this Camp Chef Cree unit is an exact copy of another model that Amazon sells that is identified by a number of brands: `Flip' `Eureka', etc. I have the 185 lumens Eureka Flip version, but it had an annoying feature that I didn't like (as many reviewers have mentioned)...that useless blinking LED that just drains the batteries. (BTW: I'm doing a drain test for the next 3 months on that Eureka's batteries with the blinking LED, and in late summer 2011, I should have some results as to how much the batteries were drained over that period by the useless blinking LED). Anyway, as this model (being reviewed) did not appear to have that useless blinking LED (as I didn't see it in the website photo), I ordered it. I then compared it's light output and other features to my Eureka Flip Flashlight-Lantern. And, as I thought, this Camp Chef model (being reviewed), did away with that useless blinking LED. And although this model rated it's light output at 150 lumen...as compared to the Eureka's 185 claim, I couldn't tell the difference in either flashlight or lantern configuration. There was one additional feature that this new model had that wasn't in the Eureka Flip Flashlight-Lantern...an SOS mode. No big deal, but it's nice to have to keep in your car for roadside emergencies/alerts/warnings. And, this new model is a bit cheaper than the Eureka Flip model, also. So, all-in-all, I'd recommend this new version over the Eureka Flip Flashlight Lantern.
22 comments7 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2012
This thing is bright. When I say bright, I mean so bright that it hurts to look at from certain angles. Luckily there's a way around that, which is just to place a white plastic bag over it, or to strategically position the lantern in a location where the glare from the reflector won't blind you.

Construction quality is excellent. For it's size, what it does in terms of lighting up the surrounding area in the dark is nothing short of incredible, especially for the cost.

It has two brightness levels. I'd rather have the dim mode be dimmer than it is, ESPECIALLY if it meant even longer battery life. Not that battery life is much of an issue. That's my only complaint. There isn't much difference in brightness between the two modes. Bright and "HOLY COW, that's bright".

Use the plastic bag method.
on August 26, 2011
I love this light!!! Works very good as Lantern and Flashlight. Used this in lantern mode to eat in the late night with the family on the campgrounds picnic table as the only source of light, and it lit up the whole table very well. Also used this in the tent in flashlight mode and set it on the ground in the corner of the tent to light up the roof of the tent, and it lit up the whole 8 man tent so the whole family could work on stuff without the need of any other light. Very Recommended.

*UPDATE*

I purchased this in 07/2011 and it is now 07/2013 have been using this for camping as a lantern and as a flashlight around the house, and it still looks and operates just like NEW.
on November 22, 2011
Great lanterns that are bright with great features. I bought 2 of these and one would not work. I changed the batteries and still nothing. I then switched the screw on butt caps and it worked. I inspected both and noticed that one of the butt cap's had two flattened coil springs.(the springs that touch the positive"+" part of the battery on the screw on butt cap) I held down the outer ring of each flattened coil spring and lightly lifted the center of the coil spring with a small tool in my other hand. I screwed on the butt cap and the lantern worked. Just wanted to let you all know,just in case this happens to you. I LOVE these lanterns and would not send them back for this minor flaw.
on November 14, 2012
Purchased: October 2012

Usage: Randomly as a flashlight and lantern. Dragged thru my crawl space lots of times.

Pros: Super bright, 4 standard AA batteries, lantern and flashlight mode, Shock, dirt and abuse resistant after taking many blows in the crawl space. Better than a flashlight in crawl spaces.

Cons: as another gentleman pointed out; very thin plastic threads to the battery compartment.

Suggestion to Consumer: I've compared the 185 Lumens Green Cree Lantern to the 150 Lumens Red Cree Lantern. The light output is comparable; the only noticeable difference is that the flashlight mode for the green one is a big circle whereas the red one actually is more of a flood light. I like them both.

Suggestion for Manufacturer: Great product; just beef up the battery compartment threads.
on March 15, 2013
We bought this as a Christmas gift for our 4 year old niece. She wanted a small light that could be a flashlight or a lantern, mostly for indoor use. Since then this thing has gotten a lot of use. She normally keeps it on her headboard to read by at bed time, but she will also run and grab it anytime anyone says the need a flashlight. The light is bright enough for most things that she wants to do with it. In lantern mode the light is good enough for reading if you are close, but is not enough to light up a large are for working. In flashlight mode the beam is good enough for walking in the dark, but not really bright or wide enough to be used as a spotlight. Our only complaint was the battery compartment and door. It was difficult to figure out how to install the batteries and the instructions were not that helpful. But once we got them in, they have held up very well. We but ordinary alkaline batteries in it at Christmas, and she has used it for at least 15 minutes a day since then. It is now march and we are still on the original set of batteries. I would definitely buy this product again.
on April 20, 2012
Great little compact unit with a light output way beyond expectation.Very easy to use once you master the switch "touch versus press" function which allows either a quick change to light intensity,flashing etc, or, when pressed and held briefly ,it turns off.
The simple change from torch to lantern is quick, and the hanging hook and lanyard are bonuses.
Only thing it doesn't do is float. My wife has fallen in love with hers so am glad I purchased two to start with. Well worth a try if looking for a compact light for camping and other outdoor activities.
on September 1, 2012
This is a great light! Rotate the LED in one direction and it is a powerful flashlight. Rotate it 180 degrees and it is a powerful lantern. Cree makes some of the best LEDs there are. The quality is superb, nothing sloppy about the design or manufacture. Fits comfortably in your hand or hang from the ring for use as a 'room' light. I've had mine for over 4 months now and nary a problem. I even bought another one to give to my son-in-law. It's that good!