Camp Chef CSC-8 6-Ounce Bottle of Cast-Iron Conditioner
Color: One ColorSize: One SizeChange
Price:$7.61+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 7, 2013
Mix of a few oils, I forget which (I think sunflower seed is one of them). Consistency is a bit thinner than peanut butter in a 68 F house. Doesn't pour out like lotion, but I was able to squeeze it out OK. Others have apparently had a more difficult time.

Used it on my new Camp Chef cast iron griddle. Heat the pan at 200F for about 10 minutes to get a dry surface and to open the iron's pores. Put a light coating on so that it glistens. Wipe it down with a dry cloth until the pan looks dry. Bake at 400F for 1 hour. Let cool in the oven for another 2 hours.

Goes in looking grey. Comes out looking black, just like the muffin pan that someone posted in the photo section. Griddle looks 10X better than new. I stopped with just the one coat, since the pan was already pre-seasoned.

Just note that you want to bring the oil (this or any other one you use) above its smoke point. This causes the polymerization process that creates the non-stick seasoning. Yes, the smoke by-product does contain carcinogens.

Flaxseed oil is supposedly the best oil to season a pan with. This worked pretty good, though, was easier to find, was a lot cheaper (7 at sportsmans warehouse), and doesn't require refrigeration.

UPDATE: The ingredients listed, in order, are: Organic Palm Oil, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Sunflower Seed Oil, Vitamin E, Citric Acid
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 9, 2012
I do the classic oven or campfire seasoning with Crisco on all new or rusty pieces. This is what I use after I've cooked something in a seasoned pan.

The only down side is it thickens and solidifies in the tube. After one tube split when squeezing, I just poured it into a small plastic tub. Now I do that for each new tube. It needs stirring occasionally, or a quick heat in the microwave, and it's much easier in the tub than the tube.

For best results: Clean cast iron with scrubber and very hot water, little or no soap. Place on stove and heat to dry. Dip a paper towel into the tub, rub it on the cast iron, continue heating to just smoking, set aside to cool, wipe off the excess, and store.

Thanks to this stuff, even my Chinese cast iron looks great and functions almost as well as my Lodge and Griswold pieces, and my grandad's 100-year-old chuckwagon dutch oven.

I recommend it. Considering how little is needed each time, it's a good value.
on June 15, 2011
We have been using Cast iron for many years and have some great old pieces from various trips.

Everyone has a different tip or trick to seasoning cast iron, for many years bacon grease was the "hot product" what a mess!

Many of my cast iron finds need some TLC, a little rust or extra build it can hide the true inner beauty of the cast iron, I have some Griswold, Lodge, and Camp Chef Skillets and Dutch ovens that are super old but look better than new.

THIS stuff is great, I use a couple of different tricks for rust, like hay alfalfa and coke, but to put that nice BLACK finish, the cast iron conditioner does the trick, it lasts twice as long as regular oil and doesn't leave any lasting after taste.

Remember you still have to take care of your cast iron and heat it to dry it but this is the easy way to keep it nice and black for a lifetime of great uses.

Someone posted cheaper at walmart, funny at the time of this review walmart was $4 more and ship to store... FYI
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 17, 2007
This conditioner is better than Crisco or any other shortening or oil because it won't go rancid like other oils can. If you don't use your Dutch oven or other cast iron all winter and it just sits somewhere, chances are good that it will be rancid come spring and you'll have to strip and re-season it. That won't happen with this conditioner.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 7, 2010
I was looking for an easy way to keep my iron skillet conditioned as we have several cooks in the house and many people use it. I ask each one to simply clean the skillet and leave on top of the stove so I can condition it before putting it away. It is always ready for use and works as well as seasoning it in the oven!
on October 28, 2010
Purchased this conditioner with a new Lodge cast iron skillet. I have used it twice on the skillet and have come to the conclusion that lard works better. That's just my opinion from years of using lard with good results on my cast iron skillets.

After several months of using this product on my old cast iron, I am forced to change my mind about it. My old cast is in better condition than it ever was using lard. It is cleaner, surface is virtually non-stick, and cleanup is easy. The only complaint I have is that you have to nuke it to get it out of the tube if a constant 80+ degree temperature is not maintained where you store it. I have not had any better luck using this product with the new Lodge Logic skillet. I think if I use the skillet enough to get the pre-seasoning off of it, Camp Chef will eventually re-season it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 30, 2010
This was a little disappointing, but what could I really expect? Seasoning takes years (or at least a lot of time and smoke in your oven). I was trying to avoid that with this coating. It works OK, as a light coating after you wash your pan. But, truly, I used to rub olive oil on my hot pan, just bring it to a smoke, turn off the heat and let it sit until I used it the next time, and I think that method worked better. I'll use up the cream, but I wouldn't order it again.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 8, 2013
Great product that does exactly what it should. My cast iron pans are things of beauty! Only use a little bit each time and my pans are never sticky or smell rancid, even after months of storage -- I use one of my pans rarely and its just as nice as the ones that get daily use.

However, the blend of oils in this conditioner are rock-solid at cooler room temperatures. No matter how hard you squeeze the tube, it just isn't coming out in the middle of winter.

It is easy to work around. Remove the top of the tube and prop it up in warm water for a while until the contents melt. You may have to replace the water a few times to keep it warm enough to melt the conditioner but DON'T boil it ---- you want to melt the conditioner, not the plastic tube!

After it melts pour it into a wide-mouth container such as one hand cream comes in. I found a great double-walled plastic jar that holds 10 ounces at a craft store for a dollar or two. Now it's easy to dab a paper towel into the conditioner and get just enough each time.

Warming the conditioner and repackaging it may take a bit of time, but the tube lasts me about two years and is works so well it's worth the trouble.
on December 31, 2011
This product is a bit pricey, but definitely worth it. I have never had luck cleaning and maintaining cast-iron -- either I scrub it clean and the pan starts to rust and the next use is full of food sticking to the pan, or I wipe it clean and put it away not entirely clean. And food still sticks.

With this product, I scrub the pan clean and then put just a dab in the skillet. Rub the gel/oil around until the entire inside of the pan is lightly coated, and put it away. Next time, no rust, no food build-up and, best of all, no sticking food. Ideal.
on August 18, 2014
Great product for cast iron, old and new. Previously, I was using what ever I had around the kitchen, primarily olive oil or vegetable oi, to give my cast iron an in-between seasoning coat.

Olive oil has a low burning temp, so baking in the oven above 425 produced a lot of smoke. Vegetable oil gets a little funky when the cast iron is sitting in the back of the drawer for a month.

I use the Camp Chef for both full seasoning and quick in between coat as needed. Highly recommend for cast iron fanatics