5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good seasoning oil
Mix of a few oils, I forget which (I think sunflower seed is one of them). Consistency is a bit thinner than peanut butter in a 68 F house. Doesn't pour out like lotion, but I was able to squeeze it out OK. Others have apparently had a more difficult time.

Published 18 months ago by K. A. Young

Published on January 30, 2010 by Susan Batz

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good seasoning oil, January 7, 2013
This review is from: Camp Chef CSC-8 6-Ounce Bottle of Cast-Iron Conditioner (Kitchen)

Used it on my new Camp Chef cast iron griddle. Heat the pan at 200F for about 10 minutes to get a dry surface and to open the iron's pores. Put a light coating on so that it glistens. Wipe it down with a dry cloth until the pan looks dry. Bake at 400F for 1 hour. Let cool in the oven for another 2 hours.

Goes in looking grey. Comes out looking black, just like the muffin pan that someone posted in the photo section. Griddle looks 10X better than new. I stopped with just the one coat, since the pan was already pre-seasoned.

Just note that you want to bring the oil (this or any other one you use) above its smoke point. This causes the polymerization process that creates the non-stick seasoning. Yes, the smoke by-product does contain carcinogens.

Flaxseed oil is supposedly the best oil to season a pan with. This worked pretty good, though, was easier to find, was a lot cheaper (7 at sportsmans warehouse), and doesn't require refrigeration.

UPDATE: The ingredients listed, in order, are: Organic Palm Oil, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Sunflower Seed Oil, Vitamin E, Citric Acid

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than crisco, November 17, 2007
This conditioner is better than Crisco or any other shortening or oil because it won't go rancid like other oils can. If you don't use your Dutch oven or other cast iron all winter and it just sits somewhere, chances are good that it will be rancid come spring and you'll have to strip and re-season it. That won't happen with this conditioner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cast Iron Repair or Restore Oil, June 15, 2011
We have been using Cast iron for many years and have some great old pieces from various trips.

Everyone has a different tip or trick to seasoning cast iron, for many years bacon grease was the "hot product" what a mess!

Many of my cast iron finds need some TLC, a little rust or extra build it can hide the true inner beauty of the cast iron, I have some Griswold, Lodge, and Camp Chef Skillets and Dutch ovens that are super old but look better than new.

THIS stuff is great, I use a couple of different tricks for rust, like hay alfalfa and coke, but to put that nice BLACK finish, the cast iron conditioner does the trick, it lasts twice as long as regular oil and doesn't leave any lasting after taste.

Remember you still have to take care of your cast iron and heat it to dry it but this is the easy way to keep it nice and black for a lifetime of great uses.

Someone posted cheaper at walmart, funny at the time of this review walmart was $4 more and ship to store... FYI

3.0 out of 5 stars It's fine for a light coating, but I think a little olive oil might work just as well. Will not order again., January 30, 2010
Susan Batz (San Anselmo, CA) - See all my reviews
This was a little disappointing, but what could I really expect? Seasoning takes years (or at least a lot of time and smoke in your oven). I was trying to avoid that with this coating. It works OK, as a light coating after you wash your pan. But, truly, I used to rub olive oil on my hot pan, just bring it to a smoke, turn off the heat and let it sit until I used it the next time, and I think that method worked better. I'll use up the cream, but I wouldn't order it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great conditioner for cast iron, July 7, 2010
Neva A. Mayer (Yelm, Wa. United States) - See all my reviews
I was looking for an easy way to keep my iron skillet conditioned as we have several cooks in the house and many people use it. I ask each one to simply clean the skillet and leave on top of the stove so I can condition it before putting it away. It is always ready for use and works as well as seasoning it in the oven!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Price to Me, December 9, 2012
I do the classic oven or campfire seasoning with Crisco on all new or rusty pieces. This is what I use after I've cooked something in a seasoned pan. It does not go rancid and is far less messy than other greases.

The only down side is it thickens and solidifies in the tube. After one tube split when squeezing, I just poured it into a small plastic tub. Now I do that for each new tube. It needs stirring occasionally, or a quick heat in the microwave, and it's much easier in the tub than the tube.

For best results: Clean cast iron with scrubber and very hot water, little or no soap. Place on stove and heat to dry. Dip a paper towel into the tub, rub it on the cast iron, continue heating to just smoking, set aside to cool, wipe off the excess, and store.

Thanks to this stuff, even my Chinese cast iron looks great and functions almost as well as my Lodge and Griswold pieces, and my grandad's 100-year-old chuckwagon dutch oven.

I recommend it. Considering how little is needed each time, it's a good value.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not convinced it beats lard; Changed my mind!, October 28, 2010
Purchased this conditioner with a new Lodge cast iron skillet. I have used it twice on the skillet and have come to the conclusion that lard works better. That's just my opinion from years of using lard with good results on my cast iron skillets.

After several months of using this product on my old cast iron, I am forced to change my mind about it. My old cast is in better condition than it ever was using lard. It is cleaner, surface is virtually non-stick, and cleanup is easy. The only complaint I have is that you have to nuke it to get it out of the tube if a constant 80+ degree temperature is not maintained where you store it. I have not had any better luck using this product with the new Lodge Logic skillet. I think if I use the skillet enough to get the pre-seasoning off of it, Camp Chef will eventually re-season it.

3.0 out of 5 stars cast-iron conditioner, June 25, 2011
gnosnhoj (Hopkinsville, KY) - See all my reviews
Works well, however QC is lacking. Of 3 tubes that I have bought, each has had a different consistency: from thin as veggie oil to too thick to squeeze out without softening in hot water for ~5 minutes.
I ended up consolidating and blending the tubes then reloading with a basting needle, since my smallest spice funnel won't fit the tube. Made quite a mess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cast Iron Conditioner, September 22, 2007
This product works great for conditioning cast iron cookware. I'm not sure that it's better than shortening (Crisco for example), but it's more convenient.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Product, April 7, 2011
I saw an info-mercial about cooking with cast iron and the host had seasoned the pans with this and swore by it. A while back I had purchased "pre-seasoned" cast iron and was very disapointed in them - everything stuck. I thought maybe this product would remedy my problem so I ordered it. It did not work like he said. Would I buy it again? NO!! It is an OK product and maybe after I "season" the pans again and maybe again after that I might be happier with it. Right now - with what I have seen - I am not happy. It is priced much to high and did not impress me at all.

Rate and Discover Movies