Customer Video Review     Length:: 8:33 Mins
This is a video review of the CampChef Everest stove. This product has several positive attributes:
- 2 stainless steel burners
- 20,000 BTU per burner (higher than competition)
- quality construction
- sets up in under 2 minutes
- easy to clean and maintain in working order
- works with many accessories including...
Published on April 27, 2011 by Yazon D. Alt

3.0 out of 5 stars Exact Model as the Stansport 2 Burner Propane Stove
I am writing this review to serve as a warning to those who are thinking of purchasing this stove.

Published 15 months ago by Wanbol Dyak

5.0 out of 5 stars CampChef Everest 2 burner stove - one great stove that I enjoy using, April 27, 2011
Yazon D. Alt (san diego, ca United States) - See all my reviews
Length:: 8:33 Mins

- 2 stainless steel burners
- 20,000 BTU per burner (higher than competition)
- quality construction
- sets up in under 2 minutes
- easy to clean and maintain in working order
- works with many accessories including those by other brands

After using this stove a few times, i can tell you that the amount of heat it puts out is quite substantial. In fact, it seems to be more powerful than the burners on my home stove (natural gas). The burners are designed to increase efficiency while providing very precise flame control.

I really enjoy using this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice stove, December 14, 2011
This review is from: Camp Chef Everest High Output 2 Burner Stove (Sports)
I'd recommend this stove.

We use it in our Scout Troop. We are phasing out our Coleman® PerfectFlow InstaStart(tm) Two-Burner Propane Stove in favor of these.

This stove does put out some heat (and does use more propane). Marked difference from our old stoves though. Downside is the Scouts have burned a few items as they learn to manage the heat. That's good though, because the modus operandi is traditionally - "throw it on... cook it at high heat to reduce cooking time, and gnaw through the carbonized crust"!

Another BIG plus is that this stove has a REAL latch. The Coleman stoves have a plastic button-latch that, over time, does not hold the stove together when carrying. This resulted in stoves opening apart while being carried, and parts falling out. Unfortunately, the result of that appears to have been that the Scout crams the brass propane arm in - sometimes against the burners - which has ruined 2 Coleman stoves.

Burner knobs feel more sturdy.

Also, stove is slightly wider than the Coleman, which will help with the larger pots and frying pans. It seems shorter top-to-bottom as well, but not significantly so.

Cost was more than the Colemans (and many others we researched), but the quality seems to be there.

I rated this a 4 since our first two stoves came with manufacturer damage (not shipping damage). One lid was so bent that we couldn't open the stove. The other had a dent, but in a non-critical place. We returned the first (no hassles). The second we kept since the dent was cosmetic. replacement stove was in perfect condition.

We'll be replacing more stoves as the Colemans break, and we plan to order more of these Camp Chef stoves.

Hope that helps...

5.0 out of 5 stars Steve W, September 20, 2011
This review is from: Camp Chef Everest High Output 2 Burner Stove (Sports)
This stove is fantastic. It has the BTU's to boil water quickly yet has a low enough setting to be able to simmer and not burn food that you are cooking. The stove cleans up quickly and there is no mess with the stainless steel bottom plate. I am so glad I did not get a Coleman that only produces 10,000 BTU as this stove is much more versatile. Because of the angled side wind blockers you can use a 12 inch skillet on it. Can't do that with most other brands. Made well and is a pleasure to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot, Hot, Hot, March 6, 2012
This review is from: Camp Chef Everest High Output 2 Burner Stove (Sports)
I bought this stove to replace the "hand warmer" that was in our '92 Jayco popup camper. The old stove was only putting out about 4800 BTU per burner.

We recently returned from a hunting trip. The Camp Chef with its 20,000 BTU burners was a joy to use. The instant start is "solid" and works every time! Instead of waiting 35 to 40 minutes for coffee, it was done in 15 minutes. In fact, I turned down the flame slightly as I thought I might melt the Coleman drip coffeemaker! When we needed some hot water, we only had to wait a few minutes. You didn't have to plan ahead to get your hot water.

This stove is worth every penny. Solidly built, with a real latch. Lots of room across the cooking surface (another bonus) so you can actually cook with two pots or skillets at once. The burners are set down inside with their own heat shield so the wind doesn't blow the flame around or all the heat away. I think it would take a hurricane to blow the heat away, as the stove IS HIGH pressure with a strong flame.

The area under the burners are made for easy cleanup. The cooking grate is heavy duty as well. With all that, the stove is not heavy.

I have no buyer's remorse on this purchase. The Camp Chef Mountain Series stove reminds me of how the old Colemans were built.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, July 8, 2011
This review is from: Camp Chef Everest High Output 2 Burner Stove (Sports)
We just used this stove daily for two weeks and it performed like a champ. A little hard to regulate on low flame but it was fast and HOT. Brought kettles of water for cooking and washing up to the boil fast. Good heavy grate and large area handled large pots of corn and large frying pans just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stove!, February 27, 2013
This review is from: Camp Chef Everest High Output 2 Burner Stove (Sports)
This is a great stove but be careful the first time you use it because there is some sort of residue that will burn off and smoke a bit =)

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Hot!!, July 11, 2012
Camper (Central California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Camp Chef Everest High Output 2 Burner Stove (Sports)
I just used this stove for the first time on a 5 day camp trip, we were above 7000 feet and it had no problems whatsoever. I love the BTU's it puts out but it is a little touchy to simmer. Though the workmanship is a little shoddy and not as heavy duty (that is why I only gave it 4 ****), I find it easier to clean up even with the new textured lid. I bought the bag that goes with this stove and a cheap sleeping pad to make a padded bag. Now it is good to go and protected. Out of all the camp stoves out there I would not give it a second thought to buy this stove again. I suggest that you buy a small propane tank instead of the bottles. There was more than enough propane for the days we went camping.

3.0 out of 5 stars Exact Model as the Stansport 2 Burner Propane Stove, August 29, 2013

I bought the Stansport 2-Burner Propane Stove for $59.49 and what I can say is the Camp Chef Everest Stove is exactly the same stove but with a much higher price. Everything looks the same except the Piezo Igniter on Stansport is twist activated versus push button type on the Everest. However, I believed that "twist" is better than "push" because it is easier to do one hand and does not require you to hold the body of the stove to prevent it to move backward.

I have no problem with Camp Chef Everest since they have the same specifications except for the price difference of about $35. Here is the link if you want to see the Stansport Stove I am comparing to, Stansport 2 Burner Propane Stove.

I would suspect this stove uses more propane due to its high btu rating but I am not bothered about it since I refill my own one pound propane canister using the MacCoupler Propane Refill Adapter I purchased from eBay. It is a dollar or two more expensive but it is made in the good U.S.A. I pack two of the one pound propane canisters using the Coleman Gemini Power Pack Propane Carrier Coleman Gemini Power Pack Propane Carrier for longer cooking time.

I hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars some problems but still a great stove, August 21, 2012
This review is from: Camp Chef Everest High Output 2 Burner Stove (Sports)
I bought mine at REI because there appear to be several people who have had these fail on them after some use. REI has a life time return policy, so it's worth paying the higher price for items that have a higher likelihood of failure.

That said, I just used it for the first time on a 10 day camping trip, and it performed well. It is VERY powerful - couldn't believe the difference between this and my old Coleman stove. Night and day. This boiled a large pot of water in just a few minutes.
It is very roomy - you can easily fit two good sized pots on it. I like the wind shields, the controls work well, and as others have said, it can really simmer.

I experienced the same issue with shipping as others have reported; it came shipped in the actual product box with no outer box. It was either assembled wrong or got so jarred during shipping that the frame had gotten out of alignment and I almost couldn't open it. I had to carefully pry it open with some effort, then disassemble and reassemble the aluminum section under the burners. Once I did that, it all fit fine, and has been great. I also found it was shipped with the gas regulator insufficiently tied down and rattling all over the place, but fortunately it still worked.

So as long as it continues to work, it's a great stove - roomy and powerful. Once i got past the shipping/assembly issues, the only performance issue I experienced was that at times it could be very difficult to tell how large the flame was - that was a little tricky. Overall, I'm happy I got it. If it holds up well, it's a great purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stove!, July 20, 2013
This review is from: Camp Chef Everest High Output 2 Burner Stove (Sports)
I purchased this stove after my 20+ year old Coleman stove fell in need of repair and I found parts availability to be a bit scarce. I had read mostly positive reviews on the stove for the most part with only a few stating a problem with shipping damage or with the lid getting hung up when opening. My stove arrived undamaged so no problem there. The lid issue, and the only issue that kept this from being a five star rating is due to the design for attaching the windscreens to the lid. The windscreens attach to two tiny little tabs formed into the lid (the one point of future failure I suspect), when the windscreens are folded in and the lid closed the clearance between the tabs and the screens is next to nothing. That being said, if the lid isn't lifted perfectly square, the tabs do catch on the windscreens and one must manipulate the lid a touch to open it. Not really a deal breaker in my opinion, that I can live with. My concern is that eventually those tiny tabs will fail, I've already worked out a fix for when this happens, if Camp chef were to do the same they'd have a five star stove.
Now lets cover what is great about this stove. Heat, wow, they nailed it. This stove boils water and cooks so much faster than my old Coleman which is great in so many circumstances (it's cold, come on coffee boil already). Yet, the heat control is precise, allowing you to control the heat setting very precisely all the way from c'mon boil to slowly simmering a soup or stew. As a cook I feel this will open up many new camping meal options as most the older stoves were more of an all or nothing when it came to adjustment.
Construction. Aside from the cheesy windscreen tabs this stove appears well built. It has a nice finish and the stainless steel makes cleaning of the stove very easy as advertised. The lid is not made from a very heavy gauge steel though, so it should probably travel at the top of the gear pile. It wouldn't take much weight to deform it.
Gas mileage, Not as poor as I expected for a 20,000 btu stove, first trip out I went for five days, prepared coffee, breakfast and slow cooked soups for dinner as well as heating water for dishwashing and I used about three 16.4 oz of propane.
For years I was a Coleman guy all the way, but after comparing the two, the quality of the camp chef is much better.
Great stove! I'm extremely satisfied with it.