Camp Chef OS132 Super Outdoor/Indoor Movie Screen
Price:$234.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 10, 2012
I upgraded from the Camp Chef 120-Inch Portable Outdoor Movie Theater Screen to this one.

And, while I believe that may have been a mistake, there are more PLUSES for this screen, than there are negatives.

I want to first get the most obvious questions out of the way, that SHOULD have been printed SOMEWHERE!

#1. What color is the surface of the screen? It is GREY. It is NOT white at all. It is the same color as the Camp Chef 120 inch front projection screen. Don't let the outside box or the advertisements fool you. Why they give potential customers the impression the screen is white is misleading as far as I'm concerned.

#2. What is the actual VIEWABLE measurements of the screen?
The VIEWABLE image (minus the black bars) is 5'4 tall by 9'7 wide. Including the black bars, MINE is 6 foot tall by 10'3 wide.

#3. Can the screen really be used indoors? Yes. However, there is NOTHING in the documentation that would indicate that it is an indoor screen. In fact, it is VERY wobbly. I would recommend that if you use it indoors you place 20/30 pound bags of sand on each leg in the event someone bumps into it.

120 INCH CAMP CHEF VERSUS 132 INCH CAMP CHEF:

STABILITY: 120 inch wins!
132 inch is advertised as only being 5 pounds lighter than the 120 inch. However, this is very misleading! Why? Because while this is true, it is based on the COMBINED package. For example, if you were to simply weigh the poles for the 120 inch screen in comparison with the 132 inch screen, you will note that the poles for the 120 inch screen are almost 10 pounds heavier! This results in less wobbling and less effects from the wind. However, the screen for the 132 inch is heavier than the screen for the 120. If you are looking for a STURDY setup, the 120 inch is the winner! The 132 inch screen was VERY wobbly, even indoors.

SCREEN SIZE: 132 inch wins!
The screen is huge! You can clearly see the difference between this and the older 120" diagonal screen. In fact, the height of the top of the screen is even taller. It's close to 8 1/2 feet tall.

QUALITY OF THE SCREEN: 120 inch wins!
I'm sorry. I know there will be many that disagree with me, but the 132 inch screen provides for rear projection. But, because of that, the screen is more sheer. There's a black piece of fabric covering the rear of the screen and it's held up by VELCRO tabs. Therefore, the projection screen is actually THINNER than the 120 inch screen that does not provide rear projection. Additionally, when you use the rear projection you can see the projector on the other side of it! My wife and I watched a movie and we could clearly see the source of the projected image because the screen emitted a bright spot on that part of the screen and we could see the projector's lamp. So, while it does have REAR projection, it appears to me more of a gimmick than an actually contender in that department. So, in my opinion, I have to go with the 120 inch screen. The picture displayed on the screens is identical. If you can position your projector LOWER than your screen and angle the image where it projects up, you may not be able to see the source of the image through the screen. I have not tried that.

EASE OF INSTALLATION: DRAW!
The first time I connected the 120 inch screen, I did it by myself within 30 minutes. It was 20 minutes each time thereafter. I could put it together by myself. However, the poles for the 132 inch are too THIN! In fact, I would venture to say they are HALF the circumference of the 120 inch. Picture a HOT LINK compared to a Vienna Sausage. You cannot connect the 132 inch, standing poles up using their own weight, without causing some sort of physical damage to the poles themselves! You literally need 2 people this time. I hate that. For example, when you want to stand the frame up, and you're on one side of the frame, if you try to lift the frame by yourself, the other side will bow and bend. You need a person on the other side. With the 120 inch, you could lift it on one side and the poles were strong enough to take the weight. However, when assembling the 120 inch, the screen was like a SLEEVE that you had to stick the poles in. The 132 inch contains hooks which make it very easy. Whereas the sleeve could not really be placed on the poles without the help of someone else, the hooks on the 132 inch screen are very easy to do by oneself. So, I could have to say it's probably a draw (unless you had a slow motion camera to determine the victor; and then it would probably result in the 120 inch being the winner in the installation department, by a split second). By the way, it took me 30 minutes to place the 132 inch together.

CONCLUSION: If you want a LARGER picture than the 120" screen, get this! It even LOOKS taller. The rear projection, although not perfect will do for most people. I now like the rear projection because I'm able to play xbox kinect and wii standing in FRONT of the screen without blocking the image. If you want something that can not only withstand the wind but remain standing when kids running past the screen, keep your 120 inch. One this is clear, this is a HUGE surface and will really impress folks.

EQUIPMENT I USED TO TEST SCREENS: Epson 705HD, Optoma HD71 and Playstation 3, Xbox 360 with Kinect, Nintendo Wii
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Here is all of the specification of the OS132 Screen
4 guy lines and stakes included
Frame carry bag included
Dimensions
105" H x 129" W
Frame Bottom to Floor: 23"
Weight: 34 lb.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 4, 2012
I bought this model to upgrade from my 120" model I bought several years ago. This model is 132" diagonal and lighter than the 120 model. Once staked out this thing is super stable even in gusty winds. I especially liked the ability to roll down the black backing and project on the rear of the screen. It was nice to get the projector to the back of the screen. This was a huge upgrade from the 120" model. The setup on this was super easy even for one person. The movie showed up great. Can't wait to set it up again and have another movie night with the kids. If you are trying to decide between the 120 and the 132" version go with the 132". The extra size is nice and the rear projection capability makes it well worth the extra money.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 29, 2013
Mostly happy with this outdoor screen. The quality of construction is excellent, and the storage containers for the frame and screen are very well made. You definitely get what you pay for. These guys make a really good product, and we're confident it will last a long time.

Two (minor) complaints:

1) The screen itself comes folded, so it has some pretty heavy creases in it. It's made of a urethane-coated nylon material, making it difficult to flatten out. The creases were a distraction during our first use, and attempts to smooth them out using company recommended techniques were a bust. For what we paid, that screen should be perfect. Note: company says DO NOT iron it. Well, having tried and failed using other remedies, I'm getting ready to just iron it anyway.

2) Rear projection through the back side of the screen--one of this model's frequently mentioned features--gives a very muted, washed-out look in the front. The screen material is just too dense for light to pass through effectively. We tried it with a very high lumen projector and hated it. Front projection, by comparison, looked crisp and bright.

Other than those two comments, we really like this product and are pleased that it was so well made. The 13 ft size is perfect for our backyard setup and the movies look awesome. If it weren't for the creases, it'd easily be a five-star product.
on July 10, 2013
This movie screen is awesome. I was concerned about the folds in the screen after reading some of the other reviews but inmine it is very minimal and you only notice if you're looking for it. Very easy to assemble in about 20 minutes with just me and my 14 yr old son. It took longer to disassemble (30 minutes) due to putting everything back in the carry case and folding the screen properly.
We used it for 4th of July night ot show movies for the kids, several of my neighbors said they were going to buy the same screen, they were really impressed. My wife has a girls night out coming up at the end of July and she is planning on showing movies that night as well, we are planning on having monthly movie night.

I'm was considering the smaller 120" version, but hey go big or go home and I'm very pleased with this purchase.
on June 9, 2014
I have been looking for this solution for two years. I recently moved to New England and fell in love with the summer evening outdoor movie. We moved into a new house that has enough space for an indoor movie theater as well. So spent way more time than I am willing to admit, researching the best option for building my own system. Everything from Screen material to framing looking for something versatile enough to front or rear project, and ideally I wanted it to be mobile. After finally resolving to needing to either cut corners or spent a ton of money building exactly what I wanted. I stumbled on this gem! It is perfect! I use it outside with a rear project system on those PERFECT NE summer nights, then in less than 15mins my 13yr old daughter and I disassemble it and move it inside and we are playing Xbox and watching movies during the day or in less than ideal weather! It comes with a travel bag and is easy to transport. Now when we are invited to other peoples bbqs they are asking me to bring it! Also a very good solution for small conference projection or start-up church! Inexpensive, very versatile. I spent a long time looking for this and can truly say: I FOUND IT!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 27, 2014
I have read some of the reviews that say this is flimsy or not as sturdy as the older model.
I used this twice now. Both times in the wind.
The 1st time, after assembling it, it took 2 strong men to move it to where we wanted to set it up because it made a GREAT sail.
I was sure that either the screen would tear or the tubes would bend but neither happened.
We did set it up at an angle that allowed the wind to blow over the side of the screen instead of head on into the screen.
The 2nd time wasn't so windy but still enough to want to blow the screen over.
This time we had no choice of angle so the wind hit the screen head on, or should I say rear on.
It was at a birthday party and things we blowing all over the place but when I looked at the screen, it was rock solid.
I used it as front projection the 1st time and rear projection the 2nd time. The picture quality was fine both ways.
I would recommend this screen for anyone needing a rear projction screen. If you only need front projection then purchase the other model.
on July 10, 2013
The product is outstanding and installs with ease, you want to make sure you layout the frame on ground it will be much easier. You could install it with just one person but two is much easier and faster.
Keep in mind this is big - very big and you will need room to project to it for the largest screen. The bag the screen and frame comes in is good quality and will protect your investment keep in mind it is heavy I did not weigh it but would guess around #40

I am 100% satisfied and recommend it to others .
on August 20, 2013
We have used this screen with an Epson MovieMate 85HD projector for the last month or so for movie nights in our backyard and while camping. Each time neighbors (including camping neighbors) eagerly join us to see the show. The picture quality is terrific. The screen is easy to put up and take down and includes a handy carrying case.
on August 12, 2013
This is a high quality screen. It is easy to set up and take down. It comes with a nice case to put the frame and screen in.