5.0 out of 5 stars Camp Rock Is Pure Disney Magic
After the huge Success of the High School Musical series, it appeared that musicals were "hip" again with the tween audience. With that idea in mind, Disney launched a new musical movie series in the summer of 2008 called "Camp Rock", starring Demi Lovato, The Jonas Brothers, Alyson Stoner, and Meaghan Jette Martin.

Did Camp Rock work? Absolutely! Although a...
Published on August 18, 2008 by Nathan M. Rose

3.0 out of 5 stars Overly Hyped
Published on September 7, 2008 by Tany Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Camp Rock Is Pure Disney Magic, August 18, 2008
This review is from: Camp Rock (Extended Rock Star Edition) (DVD)

Did Camp Rock work? Absolutely! Although a bit more mean spirited and adult themed than the High School Musical series, Disney still pulled off a charming movie that while entertains, it also teaches valuables lessons to its target audience. The Disney Company has found another success with a new cast of actors and actresses. Demi Lovato is a great asset to Disney's already amazing cast of tween stars, and supporting cast members. Alyson Stoner and Meaghan Jette Martin held their own which proves they could carry any upcoming Disney Channel movies on their own.

The Camp Rock extended edition DVD contains the full screen version (1.33:1) of the film (for the wide screen version pick up Camp Rock Blu-ray edition) and a plethora of extra features including a behind the scenes look at the filming of the movie, along with music videos, sing a longs, and "Camp Rock Karaoke"

This film is a great addition to the latest lineup of classic Disney Channel movies, and if you still don't have your fill of Camp Rock after your finished watching the DVD, don't worry -- a sequel is already in the works.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good movie for the kids, June 19, 2008
This review is from: Camp Rock (Extended Rock Star Edition) (DVD)
My children and I were lucky enough to see this movie a little early due to the fact that it was on Disney On Demand. Good entertaining movie for the family. I gave it 4 stars, because I thought it was a little short and could have used a little more substance to the story. It seemed to have just raced through to the end. I don't want to ruin the story for everyone, but the music was good and there were some cute parts. Flour in the face, slipping on the floor and the poor brother with his birdhouse obsession. I was disappointed that the other Jonas brothers weren't part of the main story, but rather made cameo appearances. Mitchie and Shane were really cute together and I am glad she put him in his place, because he started out as a real jerk. I loved their duet together at the end where they put their two different songs together and made it flow as one. The end was surpising to my children because the person who won the contest was not who they thought it would be. All in all the kids loved the music and really enjoyed the movie and already they have watched it over and over. We will definitely be getting the dvd when it comes out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Usual Disney song and dance, August 30, 2008
This review is from: Camp Rock (Extended Rock Star Edition) (DVD)
This is a Disney Channel Original Movie, so don't go into it expecting anything too much in the way of a plot. The sitcom-type story is supported (and padded) by a full soundtrack of tween pop music and dancing, and touches on many of the issues facing the target age group, namely fitting in, peer pressure, un-cool and too-cool parents, jealousy, and last but not least, loving the Jonas Brothers.

Tween idol Joe Jonas plays the leading man, a young pop star who's been behaving badly, and gets sentenced to teaching dance classes at an upscale summer camp for musicians. The other Jonas brothers also play supporting roles, and perform a couple of songs at the camp.

Demi Lovato plays the female lead, a promising singer/songwriter whose mother takes a catering job at the camp so that she can afford the fees. There's also the rich girl, played by Meaghan Jette Martin, and her obligatory two henchgirls; the usual outcast who befriends the new girl (well played by Alyson Stoner), and the well intentioned Camp Director. Add some supporting singers and dancers, and a ready group of back-up dancers, and you have (drum roll) Camp Rock.

Short Attention Span Summary (SASS):

1. Girl goes to camp and meets boy
2. Girl messes up big time
3. This is a Disney movie, so after the song and dance, everyone lives happily ever after.

While I recognize the age-appropriate manner in which the movie addresses certain issues, the wrapping up happens far too quickly to be even remotely believable, but then, the target audience probably isn't paying too much attention to the story anyway.

I've seen girls doing the "I'm not worthy" bow in front of posters for this movie, so I'm guessing that it would be a good gift for any fan of the Jonas Brothers on your list.

Tween rating: 4.5 stars
Adult rating: 3 stars (given for the music and the family values)

Amanda Richards, August 30, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Wildly Entertaining From Start to Finish!, June 20, 2008
This review is from: Camp Rock (Extended Rock Star Edition) (DVD)
I must say, I initially wanted to watch this movie simply because of my obsession with the Jonas Brothers. About one minute into the movie, though, I completely forgot about their upcoming appearance and was dazzled by Demi Lovato, who plays a girl named Mitchee who has an incredible voice but is afraid to let people know. One thing I liked about this film was that Mitchee actually was afraid of singing in front of an audience, and didn't just say she was scared and then proceed to belt out a song; rather, she sang quietly at first, eyes on the floor. This made her character extremely relatable and I even surprised myself by feeling my heart start to race when she was about to perform- I was actually nervous for her! It takes talent for an actress to be able to make her audience feel right there with her the whole time, and Demi Lovato certainly has a bright future. Her voice is incredible, and she's a wonderful young actress too, not overacting or acting and doing things a person in the real world wouldn't, as so many Disney stars do these days.
The Jonas Brothers were also great, but I was surprised and disappointed that Nick and Kevin weren't in the movie much. In fact, I remember thinking half way through, "where are those two Jonas boys? They've had only one scene and it's halfway through the movie already!" Joe surprised me too by being a great actor! During the movie, I admit, I never thought of him as Joe Jonas, but rather, Shane Gray.
Overall, Disney definitely has created another smash hit with "Camp Rock." Unlike in other Disney flicks like High School Musical, when some of the girls in this movie get bullied, they get angry rather than shrinking away and moping. One of my favorite scenes, though I won't give anything away, was when one girl got fed up with being treated horribly and rounded on the blond girl, actually yelling at her. Imagine that, yelling in a Disney movie! It was refreshing! The emotions were real, as they were throughout, another thing great about this movie. So, the acting was very, very good, the voices of Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas were outstanding (and I wish I could underline and bold the word "outstanding"!) and five minutes after watching this on Disney Channel, I find myself wanting to watch it again!
I will definitely be buying this, and I recommend it to everyone, despite whether or not you're a Disney fan. This story is believable, fun to watch, and will leave you craving more!

~a 16 Year old~

P.S. I will admit, it did seem a bit rushed towards the end, but that's not enough of a complaint to dwell on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great New Disney Hit!, June 21, 2008
Smiley Smile (Boulder, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Camp Rock (Extended Rock Star Edition) (DVD)
Camp Rock is the new Disney summer teen musical & it rocks.The story centers on Mitchie- an ordinary girl who thinks she has to lie to fit in with the cool girls at an exclusive camp dedicated to talented young rockers. Over the course of the movie she learns from friends including a hunky young rockstar & enemies that all she needs to succeed is to be herself!
It a great message for all young people but I thinks its the wonderful performance of Demi Lovato as Mitchie & Joe Jonas as the rockstar & the great musical numbers that everybody will really love!
I should note that Nick & Kevin Jonas appear in the movie in smaller supporting roles and do very well. The Jonas Brothers perform a couple songs in the movie and they are great!
I just saw the movie last nigh & can not wait to see it again!
The DVD provides an alternate ending and tips from cast members on how to be a rock star. I am, sure the DVD will be worth owning!

3.0 out of 5 stars Overly Hyped, September 7, 2008
This review is from: Camp Rock (Extended Rock Star Edition) (DVD)
Camp Rock was heavily advertised on Disney Channel Asia as THE greatest DCOM yet.. and thinking HSM got me hooked, I thought Camp Rock might do the same. Plus I adore Demi Lovato however, I'm not a fan of Jonas Brothers but lucky for me, only the cute one Joe is in the movie and Nick and Kevin appeared for few minutes.. and Kevin being the dumb Jonas in the movie is ridiculous and annoying.

Storyline...wait what story? Haven't I seen hundreds of movies with the same storyline before? Girl lies to fit in, girl meets boy and two gets attracted to each other, rival reveals the truth, everyone briefly hates the girl, girl realize her mistake.. then they live happily ever after. Oh so typical. It's very predictable since the beginning of the movie.

The story bored me. I was not interested at all. It was nothing new. Plus lots of plot holes which I'm not gonna dwell into as it could take ages to write. Only part worth watching is the final jam. Songs? I was expecting something like HSM but what the heck? The only good song that I like is This Is me/Gotta Find You when Mitchie sings with Shane at the end and that's it... cast is very forgettable, songs are not that catchy and very forgettable.. dance moves are all over the place and doesn't match..

Even though I adore Demi, she cannot dance! It was a pain watching her sing and dance to her song because she overdo it. Overall, it's just an ok movie. The majority who thinks the movie rocks are Jonas Brothers fans.. they don't care if the movie sucks, they just wanna see The Jonas Brothers.. and that's how Disney sell the movie - by featuring Jonas Brothers as if they're the lead characters when they're just supporting and don't appear much. The DVD cover is so misleading. The story is more on conflict of Mitchie, Tess & Caitlyn.. Mitchie & Shane has chemistry, but eh... they didn't make it interesting at all... unlike in HSM with Troy & Gabriella...

Good try but uh no thanks, I'll stick to HSM.

1.0 out of 5 stars Movie sucked, music alright, November 28, 2008
T. Nelson (Norwich, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Camp Rock (Extended Rock Star Edition) (DVD)
I bought this movie along with the soundtrack for my 11 year old daughter who is a big Jonas Brothers fan. Some of the songs are ok but the story, acting, characters, etc are soooo bad. My daughter considers it one of her favorite movies but, hee hee, I bought it so I get to review it. If you have a tween who likes the Jonas Brothers, buy it for her but LEAVE THE ROOM when she starts to watch it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Camp Rock [2 Stars for effort], October 8, 2008
This review is from: Camp Rock (Extended Rock Star Edition) (DVD)
Alright. It's a Disney Channel movie. Of course it's going to be happily ever after, but do they all have to be the same?

It's a movie that's trying to hard to be it's successor High School Musical and failing miserably. I'm not a huge fan of High School Musical but I would chose it anyday over this.
Girl thinks she'll never fit in.
Suddenly she goes to Camp Rock [lies] and ends up extremly popular.
Girl falls for bad boy.
Bad boy turns out to be good.
Boy starts to fall for girl.
Mean girl tells Camp about the lie.
Boy is dissappointed and won't talk to girl.
Mean girl goes good and trys to fix things.
There's a big sing-off and boy realises she's the girl of his dreams.
They all live happily ever after.
Until the sequal.
Sound like anything else?

The choreography wasn't great, but the music was worth listening to.
The acting, however, [I'll admit] was good, apart from little bits here and there but with the script they were working with they pulled it off well.

It's a feel-good High School Musical copy with the Jonas Brothers in it. If you like things like that, you'll love it, if you don't then don't waste your time and money on it. It's not worth it.

I gave it 2 Stars for effort, acting and the ocassional catchy song.

3.0 out of 5 stars I Wish I Were Feeling the Rock, August 19, 2008
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Camp Rock (Extended Rock Star Edition) (DVD)
Mitchie Torres (Demi Lovato) is a high school student who writes her own songs. Her dream is to spend her summer at Camp Rock, a summer camp for musicians of all stripes. Things don't look good until her mother (Maria Canals-Barrera) lands a job as the camp cook. True, Mitchie has to help out around the kitchen, but she'll still get to attend most of the functions.

On the first day, she sees Tess Tyler (Meaghan Jette Martin), the daughter of multi-Grammy award winning pop artist TJ Tyler. Tyler is the most popular girl at camp, and in an effort to impress her, she lies about her mother's job.

Meanwhile, Mitchie also meets Shane Gray (Joe Jonas), the difficult member of the group Connect 3 (the other two members of the group are played by Kevin and Nick Jonas). Shane has been roped into teaching at the camp to rehabilitate his image. Mitchie makes an impression on him. But what will happen when her lies become common knowledge?

Disney's attempt to create another musical franchise almost works. The music is pretty good here and ranges from pop to rock to hip hop. I'm willing to forgive the illogical backup singers during some of the musical numbers (like when Shane is singing alone at the lake) since these were obviously intended to be radio singles as well as musical numbers. The acting is good. And the setting is absolutely fun.

However, the story just doesn't work for me. Maybe it's because I have always been too independent, but watching Mitchie keep lying to maintain a friendship with the most obviously two faced girl in the world wasn't believable. In fact, it bothered me that it took so long for some of the others to see through Tess as well. And the climax just felt too rushed.

The idea behind this movie was good. And the music is decent. But the story just doesn't do it for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tween Granddaughters love it., January 26, 2013
This review is from: Camp Rock (Extended Rock Star Edition) (DVD)
Purchased this for my tween granddaughters for Christmas. They, of course, love it and watch it almost once a week.

Camp Rock (Extended Rock Star Edition)
Camp Rock (Extended Rock Star Edition) by Matthew Diamond (DVD - 2008)
$9.99 $5.72