5.0 out of 5 stars Same as Campbell w/o Masteringbiology
Published on August 21, 2011 by StarLight

2.0 out of 5 stars kindle 9th edition troubles
Published on September 20, 2011 by sciencetexts

5.0 out of 5 stars Same as Campbell w/o Masteringbiology, August 21, 2011
This textbook is the same book as the *more expensive* Campbell Biology, also being sold on amazon... The difference is that you also get access to Masteringbiology, which is about 50 bucks on their website. This is obviously the better deal. Anyway, the book arrived brand new and vacuum-sealed with plastic (2 Layers!). Perfect condition. Aside from that, the book is very nice. There are many pictures and diagrams and the text is easy to read, unlike some other textbooks I am required to read... I have already outlined the first few chapters and I am very happy with the purchase, because it is a good textbook, it is much cheaper than my college bookstore, and it included Masteringbiology in the price.

Edit: Just wanted to add that on the Masteringbiology website, you also get access to the Campbell Biology E-book (normally $100 on their website with the mastering), so you don't have to carry the book with you to school for access. I just have to stress how great this E-book is, really. I normally don't love reading books on my iPad with the kindle app; it just doesn't feel the same. But I read this textbook my iPad using the Pearson app and it is fantastic. It looks exactly like the book and you have the option of leaving sticky notes and highlighting things for later. Oh and reading the book is generally online, but you can choose the chapters you want to download for reading offline. I hardly even use the printed textbook these days.

Edit 2: Since amazon has linked the reviews of both books, you should search specifically for Campbell Biology with MasteringBiology® (9th Edition).

5.0 out of 5 stars Campbell Biology, April 11, 2012
Margaret Magnus (Francestown, NH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Campbell Biology (9th Edition) (Hardcover)
I'm a middle-aged computational linguist, and I bought this book after a fascinating conversation with my doctor about the advances made in biology in recent years due primarily to cancer and AIDS research. I want to learn important things that mankind has understood before I have to leave the planet. I thought I was going to have to pull myself together to read this heavy stuff, but not at all. For me, this is a page turner. I couldn't wait for my commute so I could sit in a corner and read my book. I have to say I am left totally BLOWN AWAY by what we have come to understand about biology -- both the details as well as the bigger picture

Had I been younger when I picked it up, I would not have appreciated as much the skill with which the authors present the material. The order and manner in which concepts are introduced have obviously been honed over decades of experience -- first the major themes which tie the field together, a complete and painless high school chemistry course placed so you sense why you're going to need it, the critical role that water plays in making life possible. An overarching description of what energy is and how it functions precedes an attempt to discuss cellular respiration and photosynthesis, so that you're primed not to lose the forest for the trees. You really feel like you sense how it works, and if you're paying attention at all, you can't help but come away with admiration for the community of scientists who made it happen. I feel better about the human race, and am left sensing the magnificence of this achievement in the greater scheme of things. The whole of biology is presented pretty comprehensively. I left the book feeling that I got what I came for.

But oddly the biggest thing I take away from this book is a deep impression of the astounding machine that I have been given to use in this life. You can't help waking up each morning hoping to be worthy of it.

2.0 out of 5 stars kindle 9th edition troubles, September 20, 2011
This review is from: Campbell Biology (9th Edition) (Hardcover)
Just wanted to add a review about how awful the figures are in the kindle 9th edition version. absolutely no way to enlarge the figures tried every button there is to adjust the page. the figures are minuscule--shrunk to fit the page, as a result the text is tiny--illegible kind of tiny. Very disappointed at how kindle text is working out at this point. Definitely would not recommended, especially for other textbooks that require more visuals than bio which can be okay if I don't get to study the figures.

5.0 out of 5 stars #1., September 11, 2011
This review is from: Campbell Biology (9th Edition) (Hardcover)
Let me start out by saying that this book is one to keep at home. It's huge, and something that you should avoid lugging around in a backpack. And with it's 1464 pages worth of information, this book is the best. Everything is written concisely, while going into extraordinary depth for an intro course. The chapters have lots of aesthetically pleasing diagrams and models, and the paper is good for highlighting and underlining. I love how the spine has a different finish from the glossy cover, after a few years pass the spine won't discolor (it's grey, coated fabric) and the front should look fine. The organization of the book is like all the other AP texts, starting with Chem, than Cells, etc... I just love this thing.

(High School Freshman, using this book for self-study to take the AP Biology exam in May)

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent text with incredible depth and breadth, March 22, 2013
This review is from: Campbell Biology (9th Edition) (Hardcover)
This was the recommended textbook used in two semester long courses in biology I took last year. I have the 9th edn/australian edn. I cannot recommend this text enough. Any serious student of biology needs a reference for their shelves and this book delivers the goods. The book weighs in at a hefty 1300 pages and the major topics covered over 56 chapters are: chemistry of life, cell biology, genetics, evolution, history of life, fungi, plants, animals, ecology. The depth is sufficient that I've referred back to it for my second year genetics and botany courses; while additional texts are necessary for full coverage of such fields, Campbell provides more than enough to get you started.

The book is clearly presented and has good diagrams which add to the discussion. A decent chapter review section is provied for each chapter, with concept checks and additional questions to solidify one's understanding. The glossary and index are well stocked and there is little need to reach for the internet or another text when reading a topic.

This book comes with access to "Mastering Biology" and the "Pearson eText". To be honest, I found the mastering biology stuff a bit pointless. Multiple choice questions and a few videos for students that think they'll learn visually what they wont take the time to read. I loaded the eText on my ipad so as not to lug around the full text for practicals, etc. But found it a pretty clunky way to use the text.

Buy the (very well bound) hardcover book, don't bother with the electronic versions, they add little to nothing. If you use this book for a biology course and actually do your readings, you'll obtain a diverse knowledge and will excel in your course.

2.0 out of 5 stars Order the other version with Mastering Biology, June 16, 2011
This review is from: Campbell Biology (9th Edition) (Hardcover)
It may be (and currently is) cheaper to buy the version that also includes access to the publisher's website and an electronic copy of the book. The ISBN to search on:

ISBN-10: 0321558146
ISBN-13: 978-0321558145

1.0 out of 5 stars READ BEFORE YOU THINK ABOUT PURCHASING, October 10, 2012
I was excited when I found out I could get this book through Kindle. I *HATE* the fact that this does not include the access code for mastering biology. Not only is it compatible with very few devices but it doesn't even include the access code. TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY! Especially since you can go online to MASTERINGBIOLOGY.COM and not only have the book but also many good studying resources. People who have the book many times just end up using that website anyway. You could just skip buying the book altogether and just get the account with mastering biology. Practice tests, tutoring, games, graphs and much more. I believe it's $100? WAY BETTER DEAL. I strongly suggest you save yourself time and money and just go straight to the source you'd end up using.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Edition but can't go into my kindle fire?!, January 10, 2012
The book is fine but I'm more disappointed in the fact that I bought the "Kindle edition" of this book only to find out that I can only access it through my PC. The whole point of me getting a Kindle Fire is so I could have my books with me in class without getting back problems. Restricting the textbook to PC only? Really?

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse than paper edition, March 17, 2013
The text itself is quite good. However, there are no hyperlinks. To access later chapters you must scroll through the ENTIRE book! It is much more awkward to use than a physical copy of the book. Get the print version unless you are reading it cover to cover.

3.0 out of 5 stars Heads up to those considering to purchase Biology by Campbell for the Kindle Fire, April 6, 2012
This review is from: Campbell Biology (9th Edition) (Hardcover)
TO THOSE WHO PURCHASED/CONSIDERING TO PURCHASE THIS EBOOK FOR THEIR KINDLE FIRE:

I just purchased this book on the kindle store and I had the same negative first thoughts about this version of the book as many others did. However, my advise is this: this book is best to be read by changing the Kindle Fire's orientation to the horizontal position (think in terms of how the actual physical copy of the book itself looks when its opened) which makes the text slightly larger thus more legible. If the size is still too small for you, you can also increase the size of the font by double tapping (2 rapid taps with your finger) on the screen of your kindle which will enter the zoom mode making the text a much more respectable size. But in all honesty, it's really just a matter of personal opinion between the pros/cons. For example: I would much rather prefer to carry a sleek and compact device that allows me to read in the dark, multitask, highlight vocab with quick and easy access to later, a very handy built-in dictionary - p.s. I find this feature EXTREMELY helpful with textbooks (simply highlight the work with your finger and a window prompt with a definition appears - for those who did not know, this works for all the Kindle eBooks) and can read on the fly anywhere instead of having to carry a large heavy textbook everywhere I go which I find is not very comfortable to read unless I'm sitting at a large, sturdy desk. Nonetheless, my biggest complaint about the eBook version is that I have not yet found my access code to the MasteringBiology website so I'm assuming it is not included with the eBook version, which is a big bummer because it is required for my class and costs about $50.00 by itself, so you may actually be able to buy the physical copy of this book with the access code included for a cheaper price. I Hope this helps to those who were wondering

Campbell Biology (9th Edition)
Campbell Biology (9th Edition) by Steven A. Wasserman (Hardcover - October 7, 2010)
$230.40 $185.81