4.0 out of 5 stars Quite adequate... so far
I bought the RP4100 to top off my motorcycle tires without having to crank my shop compressor and needlessly charge it's big tank. At the pressures I require-- 35 to 45 psi-- the unit works well. In the higher pressure range it takes a little time to reach the target setting, but it's FASTER than I thought it would be at its fair and reasonable price.
I am...
Published on November 30, 2010 by Paul Reece

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing Product
I ordered this pump based on the positive reviews, but it turned out to be a real disappointment. The pump's "universal" inflator fitting was very tight on the valve stem threads and therefore very difficult to get all the way on; once on it released air while I struggled to push the locking lever in place. Once I had it locked on and turned the pump on, the pump would...
Published on December 26, 2010 by Samuel T. Stevenson

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to do, December 10, 2011
This review is from: Campbell Hausfeld RP4100 120-Volt Inflator (Automotive)
I wanted a simple 120V plug-in auto tire inflator, and this one seemed to fit the bill but I'm not sure this is much different from the numerous other ones out there. These items almost seem to be a commodity. Consumer reports magazine has never rated these devices. I sent them an e-mail and suggested they take a look at these things. Perfect article for them to run right before father's day.

I figured I'd use this about 3 or 4 times a year to top off my tires. No need for blowing up volleyballs or anything else.

I wanted a 120 V compressor because of some of the reviews that talked about blowing fuses in their auto cigarette lighters using the 12V ones, and my car rates the accessory outlets at 10 amps (120 watts) and I figured that's about what one of these compressors draws when in use.

I also wanted a little more 'oomph' than a 12 V inflator could provide.

After looking over all of the commonly available ones out there, I thought this one looked about as good as any of them, and got mine through Wal-Mart for $40.50 including the shipping.

It's made in China like all of these devices are I think, and looked durable enough for its intended use. Moulded plastic housing. The hose is stored in a compartment with a removable door that comes off completely and you have to make sure you don't lose it. The cord wraps around the device. The combination of electric cord/air hose is almost certainly not long enough to do all 4 tires unless you use an extension cord, or can plug it in on both sides of the car, as you might be able to do in a garage.

I used it for the first time a few months after getting it, and agree with most of what's been said previously: It's a little hard to push the nozzle onto the tire stem and hard to get it off. I found you don't need to push it all the way on, which makes it easier to remove too. I've ordered a Topeak Pressure-Rite connector that I intend to use with this, to make it easier to get the nozzle on and off. Unfortunately that adds ~$10 but you can use the nozzle forever and in other applications too.

[...]

It took maybe 90 seconds or two minutes to pump up a tire from 26 to 32 PSI. The gauge isn't accurate, taken as a given, and you have to check the pressure with a separate air pressure gauge. It's sufficiently burdensome to keep popping the nozzle on and off that I found it's best to just pump it up to where the gauge indicates is a bit above where you want it, in my case 35 PSI, and then bleed it off a bit.

It's a bit noisy. It didn't move around on the rubber feet.

All-in-all, it's hard to get too emotional about an electric tire pump. It did what it was supposed to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased, May 14, 2010
This review is from: Campbell Hausfeld RP4100 120-Volt Inflator (Automotive)
I have to air down and air up my tires frequently when driving on the beach. I use a portable air tank for the tires and this compresser to recharge the tank when I get home. It easily charges the tank up to 125 psi with no problems. It is very nicely designed with built in compartments for everything. It is a little on the noisy side and there is no auto shut-off feature.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheaply Made, May 9, 2012
This review is from: Campbell Hausfeld RP4100 120-Volt Inflator (Automotive)
The stem attachment bent when I triedd to attach it. Ordered a replacment but it is made from the same cheap plastic as the first. Stay away from this cheap China junk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does The Job OK, October 18, 2011
This review is from: Campbell Hausfeld RP4100 120-Volt Inflator (Automotive)
After several years of use, my trusty foot pump finally started to fail. It now seems impossible to buy a quality US built foot pump that is sturdy enough and robust enough to do the job it is intended for.

I tried a Slime product which plugged into the cigarette lighter socket in the truck. That blew the car's fuse, so that went back to O'Reilly's. Not amused! I looked at the Black and Decker unit similarly priced to this Campbell Hausfeld unit and many of the Amazon reviews cited the same faults (short hoses, blown and irreplaceable internal fuse). So I settled on this product instead.

So far it's been performing well. I inflated the tires of my mountain bike up to 60 psi with no problem. I also topped up the pressure in my Honda CR-V's tires from 30-31psi up to 34 psi, again with no problem in about a minute. You don't get the pressure like the air lines at gas stations, so inflating will take a little longer. The mains electrical cable is pretty long and does wrap around the base for convenient storage. The base also has rubber feet so the unit sits off the ground slightly, thus avoiding scrapes and dings.

Based on my limited use so far, there are two downsides. First, it is pretty loud. Not much can be done about that. Second, the pressure gauge is pretty basic. It shows 10 psi increments only. Meaning, there are no markers for individual psi increments. Thus, to get 35 psi, you'd have to use your eye to get the needle midway between 30 and 40. I solved this issue by following Zen's review. I too bought the "EZ - Air Tire Gauge" for about $15. You simply connect the pump to the EZ unit, then use the EZ's hose to connect to the valve stem of the tire. It's an easier clamp mechanism too and the gauge shows individual psi increments. So if you need 35 psi, you can see it clearly marked on the gauge. When the pump is operating, it does make the gauge needle vibrate into a blur, so you will need to switch the pump off to see what psi you have so far. If you over inflate, the EZ gauge has a button you can push to release some air, so it's pretty easy to get back down to the pressure you want.

Overall, the pump is OK but I would absolutely recommend you pick up an external pressure gauge as well and the "EZ - Air Tire Gauge" works great.

Happy pumping!

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy dandy inflator, January 25, 2011
This review is from: Campbell Hausfeld RP4100 120-Volt Inflator (Automotive)
The main reason I bought this was because it is powered by a normal wall socket instead of the cigarette lighter in a car. Because of this it's much easier to use it to do a large number of things other than just inflating a tire. The pressure gauge is easy to read, the electrical cord has some good length to it and wraps nicely around the base. The hose comes with three connectors to inflate sports balls and other things.

UPDATE: I originally purchased this product on November 7, 2010, and as of today, May 21, 2013 it no longer works. It sounds as if the motor is dying inside, as it can no longer push enough air out of the hose to inflate anything. After two and a half years of use (used about two-three times a week) though, it's served me well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, December 12, 2012
This review is from: Campbell Hausfeld RP4100 120-Volt Inflator (Automotive)
This is an acceptable compressor for the price. It gets the job done around the house and is very convenient. I agree with other reviewers that it is well designed. It suits my needs and I would purchase it again.

A couple drawbacks are to be expected in a lower end model. First, the gauge is not very accurate. Check your work with a proper pressure gauge. Second, it is not very powerful so inflating tires that are quite under inflated will take a minute or so.

Also, I am on my second unit. I was using the first with a long power cord of 75' or 100' and the compressor motor started ramping up and down erratically. After a few seconds of this it totally died and would not turn back on. I was using a 14 gauge extension cord which is acceptable per the Campbell Hausfeld manual. I would still be wary of using it with very long cords. If you hear the motor speeding up and slowing down I'd advise you to turn it off ASAP. The company sent a replacement unit very promptly. The warranty period is one year from date of purchase. If you don't have proof of purchase they will also accept a model that is within one year of manufacture. There is a date code on the bottom of the unit such as 0812 (August 2012).

1.0 out of 5 stars inflator, March 31, 2012
This review is from: Campbell Hausfeld RP4100 120-Volt Inflator (Automotive)
it has not been 1 year and it already is not working. i had one of these before so i purchased another. the first one i returned and now this one already is not working. i got good service from my very first one but not so on these last 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good So Far -, December 24, 2011
This review is from: Campbell Hausfeld RP4100 120-Volt Inflator (Automotive)
My old 12-volt tire pump came apart after many years; searching for a replacement I realized that many had problems with 12-volt tire pumps blowing fuses, costing considerable time and money. So I went for this inflator, based on the mostly good reviews. Turns out that was a good decision - working well, though I waited too long to first try it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly., July 9, 2011
Michael J. Burrell "MongoCain" (Hudson Falls, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Campbell Hausfeld RP4100 120-Volt Inflator (Automotive)
I bought this to inflate the tires on my travel trailer. It was a pain to have to hitch up the trailer and then find an available air station. This item worked perfectly. The pressure gauge is off by about 2 psi but once I realised that I just inflated to 2 psi over what I needed. I inflated 5 tires at 50 psi at about 3 mins per tire (going from 42 to 50). I'm very impressed and pleased with my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow, but gets the job done., July 9, 2011
This review is from: Campbell Hausfeld RP4100 120-Volt Inflator (Automotive)
I had owned a Black and Decker AirStation and had planned to buy another, but the reviews were awful. I had bought mine refurbished from a B&D Outlet, and it had lasted 20 years with light use. The reviews on the Campbell Hausfeld were much better. It is quiter than the B&D, but takes more time to inflate. Hopefully, it will last.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Campbell Hausfeld RP4100 120-Volt Inflator
$74.99 $47.23
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.