1,050 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll Tell You A Secret---I Love This Book!
It's light, fun, and totally entertaining. No deep plot, no bio-terrorism or horrific religious scandal. Just a breezy and funny slice of life as seen through the eyes of Sophie Kinsella's newest heroine, the endearing Emma Corrigan.
Published on April 28, 2004 by Antoinette Klein

2.0 out of 5 stars Shopaholic fan, but disappointed in this book.
Published on March 29, 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll Tell You A Secret---I Love This Book!, April 28, 2004
Antoinette Klein (Hoover, Alabama USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Can You Keep a Secret? (Hardcover)
Already a white-knuckle flyer, Emma goes to pieces when her flight from Glasgow to London encounters severe turbulence. Thinking the end is near, she spills every secret she has ever had to the stranger next to her. How she lost her virginity, what she really thinks of her boyfriend, the petty stunts she pulls on co-workers, the way she killed her parents' goldfish while they were on vacation and replaced it without their knowledge, her deepest thoughts on g-strings, cousins, Charles Dickens, and more. When the plane miraculously lands, Emma is thankful she will never again see this man who knows every little secret of her life.
Emma returns to her job as a junior marketing executive and as she attempts to climb the corporate ladder, every embarrassing secret of her life is exposed. How Emma combats this public humiliation and discovers another person's secret makes for a rollicking good read.
Emma is very reminiscent of Kinsella's other heroine, the shopaholic Becky Bloomwood. Equally appealing are Emma's two flatmates---her life-long friend Lissy and the irrepressible Jemima who will have you laughing hystericaly at her thoughts on men, jewels, and all things fashionable.
This is a quick and fun read, sure to satisfy fans of the Shopaholic series or chick-lit in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars Promise you won't tell!, April 14, 2004
This review is from: Can You Keep a Secret? (Hardcover)
Readers who've been enchanted by the Becky Bloomwood character of Sophie Kinsella's SHOPAHOLIC series will not be disappointed by CAN YOU KEEP A SECRET?
Emma Corrigan is a Junior Marketing Assistant in the London HQ of Panther Corporation, which makes, among other things, Panther Cola and Panther Bars. Sent solo to Glasgow to conclude the formalities of a marketing alliance with Glen Oil, thought to be a sure thing, the deal suddenly falls apart. Attempting to salvage the agreement, Emma spills a can of Panther Cola all over the shirt of a Glen Oil VIP. Distraught, Emma boards a plane for the flight back to London - and she's afraid of flying. Unusually strong air turbulence makes the flight terrifying. Her tongue loosened by the certainty of impending death, Emma blabs all her personal secrets to her seatmate, a reserved American. As a matter of fact, she spills her guts: her relationship with her boyfriend, girl roomies, family, and co-workers, and the details of her sex life, her underwear, and the little lie she put on her Panther Corp job application. You get the picture. Absolutely everything, including the fact that she accidentally killed her parents' pet goldfish and substituted a look-alike.
The following Monday, the quiet Yank shows up at Panther Corporation. As it turns out, he's multimillionaire Jack Harper, the company CEO and one of its co-founders, who's making a tour of his European offices. Corrigan's life will never be the same. But Jack has a secret also.
Except that Emma doesn't have Becky's relentlessly spendthrift habits, the two are soul sisters. Both are young, naive, just a little ditzy, otherwise intelligent, pretty, generous, charming, kind-hearted, and with a propensity for infinite self-deception. Both are incredibly endearing despite their faults.
Author Sophie Kinsella is a genius at creating absurd situations from which her heroines must extricate themselves. Her books are gems in the genre of Humor. As I read CAN YOU KEEP A SECRET on the train to work, fellow travelers must have looked at me strangely as I occasionally giggled.
This is light reading with a capital "L", but I heartily recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars a fun vacation read, April 7, 2004
This review is from: Can You Keep a Secret? (Hardcover)
I read Can You Keep a Secret in about one day, and I really enjoyed it. I found Emma to be a good character- one that I actually enjoyed more than Becky from the Shopaholic series. Becky always made me cringe because of her actions (I can't watch movies like that either), but Emma had a good, solid head on her. I laughed out loud at Emma's actions, and really empathized with her, whereas I always wanted to sit Becky down and give her a good talking to.
The plot was a tad predictable, but so were all the Shopoholic books, and that didn't stop me either! I really enjoy British chic-lit (it's my guilty pleasure), and I hope that Sophie Kinsella keeps writing fun books with engaging characters.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shopaholic fan, but disappointed in this book., March 29, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Can You Keep a Secret? (Hardcover)
I have read all three of the shopaholic books, in fact I've re-read them! I'm a HUGE fan of that series! I was so looking forward to seeing what the author would do in this book. But in all honesty, I thought "Can You Keep A Secret?" was a total re-tread of the shopaholic books, except the main character is not addicted to shopping. The whole set-up, the main character's personality, the supporting characters (co-workers, sexy leading man who happens to be a corporate big-wig, room-mate), were so similar to the shopaholic books. I was really disappointed, and felt this new book was just a watered-down "shopaholic" story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kinsella's Best Work!, June 19, 2005
This review is from: Can You Keep a Secret? (Paperback)
Sophie Kinsella's latest novel "Can You Keep A Secret?" relates the hysterical tale of Emma Corrigan and one plane ride that changes her entire life. After a disastious meeting in Scotland, Emma has a few to drink in the airport and on the plane. When the plane hits some turbulence and Emma thinks she is about to die, she blurts out ALL of her secrets to the man sitting next to her. She tells him absolutely everything. Come Monday morning, Emma thinks everything is A-OK until the owner of the corporation she works for shows up and is none other than the man from her flight, the one who knows all of her secrets.

I adore Kinsella's work and this is definitely her best! Her writing style is witty, fun and fresh. Kinsella is a major player in the chick lit genre and I recommend that everyone give her a try (if you like chick lit). You will absolutely adore Emma and the jams she gets into!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, Endearing and Too True, June 6, 2004
This review is from: Can You Keep a Secret? (Hardcover)
Sophie Kinsella is one of my absolute favorite authors of all time. I was excited when "Can You Keep a Secret" came out. Somehow I knew that it would be as good as the Shopaholic series. And I was right! It was a fantastically funny and touching read.
The main character, Emma Corrigan, is your normal 25-year old and somewhat-insecure woman. She is trying to get a promotion at work, has a fantastic boyfriend, and is very happy with life, or so she thinks. On an extremely turbulent flight back from a business trip from Glasgow, Emma's secrets unwillingly spill out to a total stranger next to her. She ends up telling this handsome American stranger nearly every secret she has, and then some. When the plane lands, she is embarrassed but figures she'll never see him again.
When this American stranger ends up being the owner at her job, Emma is mortified and determined to act like nothing happened. But Jack, the American stranger, has other ideas. Emma seems to have touched him in some way. And Emma, who thought she was totally happy with her perfect boyfriend, starts to wonder.
I recommend everyone to read "Can You Keep a Secret" by Sophie Kinsella. It will keep you turning page after page until you finish it; Emma is a delightfully imperfect heroine that many can identify with. Make sure not to miss this fantastic book! Now if Sophie Kinsella can just write books faster...

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!!, March 23, 2004
Dizziey (Arlington, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Can You Keep a Secret? (Hardcover)
"Can You Keep a Secret" by Sophie Kinsella deals with Emma Corrigan who after a disastrous client meeting blabbed her darkest secret to a good-looking stranger sitting next to her when she thought her plane was going down. Thinking that she was going to die, Emma panicked and starting telling the strangers all sorts of things such as she wasn't sure if she has a G-spot, faking her examination grade, hating to wear G-strings, and so on. Her family secrets, work problems and relationship issues were all blurted out. Of course, it was only turbulence and the plane was not going down.
Emma was completely shocked to find out on Monday that Panther Cola (the place where she worked)'s American CEO was visiting and he turned out to be none other than the stranger she confided a few days ago. Thinking that Jack Harper, the CEO was going to fire her for lying on her CV but turned out he didn't. Soon, Emma had to face Jack daily and he was aware of all her darkest secrets. She thought things couldn't get any worse. Totally not anticipating this, Emma attraction towards this good-looking stranger increased. But then, there is also Connor, her steady boyfriend whom everyone thinks is perfect for her but she finds him not that interesting.
"Can You Keep a Secret" is extremely funny and fast-paced. There is no dull moments and it keeps leaving its readers wanting for more. There are times when I find myself laughing out loud (literally!). The characters are extremely likeable, and are extremely well-developed. Sophie Kinsella is definitely one of the best chick-lits authors out there and I highly recommend this book. If you enjoy her "Shopaholic" series, you'll enjoy this one too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for laughter, February 21, 2007
Jane (Chicago, IL, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Can You Keep a Secret? (Mass Market Paperback)
Normally, I only want to read romance novels. This is not a romance novel. There are no intimate love scenes. This is a cross between chick lit and romantic comedy. I loved it, because I laughed so much. At first I did not like reading about Emma, who was in the habit of telling lies. She lied for many reasons including office politics and politeness. However, once Jack entered the picture at her office, it became hilarious. Her white lies made great comedic material. I didn't want to put it down. After I read the book, I went back and reread all of the Jack conversations. I loved the twinkle in his eyes as Jack asked Emma questions in front of other people, and as she answered the questions with lies, she knew that he knew she was lying.

Sexual content: none. Setting: current day Scotland and England. Copyright 2004. Genre: chick lit, romantic comedy.

To date, I've read the following Sophie Kinsella books.
5 stars. Can You Keep a Secret? Copyrt 2004. Review Date 2/21/07.
1 star. Confessions of a Shopaholic. Copyrt 2001. Review Date 3/14/08.
1 star. Remember Me? Copyrt 2008. Review Date 8/11/08.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't keep this secret any longer..., December 29, 2007
Judith Agee (SmallTown, Indiana USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Can You Keep a Secret? (Mass Market Paperback)
Sophie Kinsella's "Can You Keep A Secret" is SIMPLY DELIGHTFUL. From word one to the end.
Laugh out loud hilarious. Fast and furious pace. Quirky and endearing characters.
The lead Emma is a warm and perfectly flawed character:}
You will cheer for her, hurt for her and shake you head in bewilderment at her not so bright moves:}
Kinsella, has such a gift for pacing. Just when you are laughing uproariously, she throws in an "ohmigod that is so true to life moment", that she takes your breath away.
Emma, has a problem telling people the truth about even the smallest things. She isn't dishonest, she just hates hurting people's feelings. That philosophy eventually backfires spectacularly on her when she meets a stranger on a plane and spills her guts about
her secrets, out of nervous fear as the plane experiences technical problems.
The man, in one of those curves life throws at you, turns up at her work soon after and from there it is just a great roller-coaster of wonderful-readable story, skilled writing and absopositutely great reading entertainment.
I am hooked on author Sophie Kinsella.
She is right up there with Susan Elizabeth Phillips and Jennifer Weiner for talented, thoughtful authors, who draw characters you can really care about. The kind for me, I always hope for a sequel as I close the book. Or wish I could have a cup of coffee with them.
Don't keep this book or Sophie Kinsella a secret, tell your book buddies about her.

2.0 out of 5 stars TOOOOO unrealistic!, July 3, 2009
MK "Maria" (Ellicott City, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Can You Keep a Secret? (Mass Market Paperback)
I will admit that the book was funny at times. However, I could never really get over how unrealistic it was to be able enjoy it. I know it's chick-lit and that some lack of realism is expected, but this was too much for me. I enjoyed The Undomestic Goddess and Remember Me? much more than this one. Those two had some unrealistic elements in them as well, but at least they were about much more than just a silly (unrealistic) romantic relationship (barf). The Undomestic Goddess even addressed one of the questions that I think most women face after college...whereas this one really was just all silliness.

Not only were the situations unrealistic, but so were the characters. Although the main character was funny at times, she was also immature- which made her seem annoying and childish. And the ending was especially annoying and far-fetched. Also, the romantic relationships were more compelling in the other two novels mentioned above, whereas in this one, I felt that the obstacles the couple faced (besides being unrealistic) were too serious to be dismissed with comedy

Can You Keep a Secret?
Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella (Mass Market Paperback - December 27, 2005)
$7.99 $7.19
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.